PDA

View Full Version : WWW Wimbledon 1r: Ma$ha Sharapova or Anna Chakvetadze?

Sabinator.
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Poor Anna :sad:

Tweety Snape
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Anna :sad:
She's just so unlucky.......

Mistress of Evil
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
must be a str8-forward win for you know who :shrug:
hope, Anna is healthy enough to finish the match :awww:

madmax
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I just hope Anna won't faint while chasing down all those shots by Maria...

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Something similar to her scoreline against Serena last year.

Steven.
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
:sad: :hug: Chak

Although I'm still rooting for Sharapova.

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Maria!!!! 2 Straight sets 6-0 6-2

Pops Maellard
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
6-0 6-0.

Feyd
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
This is a walking BYE if Anna has the fitness to walk.

Setsuna.
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Is there any need for this thread? The winner is so obvious.

Setsuna.
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:09 PM
6-0 6-0.

:rolleyes:

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
6-0 6-0.

No chance. Few games will be handed to Anna and more importantly the opening game.

Serenus Christ
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
chak 7-5 7-6

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
From current form, Maria should win this rather comfortably despite not playing any grasscourt warm-up. Anna is coming back from her illness(?) or whatever she had; she was fainting and unable to finish matches last month if I'm not mistaken. She's back now so hopefully she can finish this match. I love both but I hope Maria will be in form to pull it off. :)

Good luck! :hug:

delicatecutter
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Horrible draw for Princess Anna. :sad:

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Last time Maria ran into a former top player who'd gone on a mega-slump (Safina in Miami), she schooled her. I expect similar here. Maria might be a slumper, but she wants to atleast be the Queen of the Slumpers :drool:

Jane Lane
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Princess :sad:

Break My Rapture
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I just hope Anna won't collapse. :hug:

Pump-it-UP
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Anna was actually playing pretty well in February/March when she was able to stand up, so I don't think it'll be a total blowout.

Maria 6-3 6-3 or something similar

C. Drone
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
this made me kinda sad. Hope Chakky is ok.
but not complaining, looks easy warm up for Maria. :)

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Two things:

1) Will Anna c be able to even finish the match?

2) In Round 2, Laura Robson could be just like Caroline Garcia was at the French. Crowd behind her, and they haven't warmed to Maria very much since 2005...... Nervey days ahead for Shriester fans even in the opening days of Wimbledon i feel.

s teddy
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
2) In Round 2, Laura Robson could be just like Caroline Garcia was at the French. Crowd behind her, and they haven't warmed to Maria very much since 2005...... Nervey days ahead for Shriester fans even in the opening days of Wimbledon i feel.

We're talking about the first round here, not the second. Save this for that thread.

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Two things:

One match a time :)

penkku
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Anna :help: hoping for a game or 2 :hug:

Feyd
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Two things:

I am not nervey at all about Robson. No one knew about Garcia before that match, I am sure people here would know Robson well enough not to get scared of anything.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
We're talking about the first round here, not the second. Save this for that thread.

Because, simply, Round 1 SHOULDN'T AND WON'T be a challenge for Sharapova, though with Robson, every thing is an adventure. but she fired her stagnant coach, and Kerber is very beatable.

s teddy
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Because, simply, Round 1 SHOULDN'T AND WON'T be a challenge for Sharapova, though with Robson, every thing is an adventure. but she fired her stagnant coach, and Kerber is very beatable.

It's ok. There will be a thread for that. Don't feel as though you have to stuff all of your bogus psychoanalysis into one thread.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I just hope Anna can finish the match. I don't think I could bear to watch her collapse again. :sad:

PerfectForm
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
As if Anna hasn't had enough bad luck over the years.... reached top 5- Family got robbed, Injuries, won first tournament in year- gets injured a few months later, picked up form at the beginning of the season-get sick :(

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I am not nervey at all about Robson. No one knew about Garcia before that match, I am sure people here would know Robson well enough not to get scared of anything.

They shouldn't......but they weren't suppose to be scared of Garcia, as they really weren't, coming into that match, and looked what happened.

Garcia's inexperience cost her that lead and match. Robson has a bit more tour level experience on higher stages.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
It's ok. There will be a thread for that. Don't feel as though you have to stuff all of your bogus psychoanalysis into one thread.

For "bogus psychoanalysis", I sure was right at the French, and you sure keep on reading it and semi following me. :lol::lol::lol:

Vincey!
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Chakky :sad: what a terrible draw! As most people have said I just hope she's going to be able to play a good match, well to play a match at all would be good.

Monzanator
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Maria coming back to visit one of her favourite bitches :hearts: Even when Chakvetadze was Top 10 she had nothing for Maria. Their first meeting since YEC 2007 :lol:

AnywhereButHome
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Masha 62 63!

18majors
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Maria, even though I like them both.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Based on Maria's recent results at tournaments, she should win this in straights :shrug:.

6-3,6-2 I think.

Wert.
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Sharapova unfortunately.But come on Anna Im with you!
:cheer:

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM

:help:

Sharapova is extremely popular in the UK... just watch her match against Serena last year and compare the crowd support the two were getting.

In any case, Robson ain't even winning her first-round match.

Wert.
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
^ Kerber will beat Robson

Novichok
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Sharapova is extremely popular in the UK... just watch her match against Serena last year and compare the crowd support the two were getting.

Sharapova is very popular in the US too but look at the crowd support Oudin got.

Wintermute
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
In terms of Anna actually winning a round this is probably the worst possible draw she could have had. But I think it's way too early on the comeback trail for her. Right now I think she is just concentrating on getting through the matches and making sure she is 100% healthy and able to compete.

Hopefully she has managed to resolve the health problems she was having and will eventually get back to winning ways. I'd be very surprised if that was here.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM
nid

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Sharapova is very popular in the US too but look at the crowd support Oudin got.

The Wimbledon crowd is traditionally much more placid when it comes to supporting home hopes, unless the British press has really whipped them up into a frenzy over a player (for which, said player would need to win a few rounds first before the press took any notice).

Don't get me wrong, the Wimbledon crowd would be on Robson's side if they played, but they wouldn't be anywhere near as raucous as the French crowd were in supporting Garcia (booing Sharapova, cheering her unforced errors, etc.). They'd always be atleast respectful to a player they liked such as Maria, regardless of who she was playing.

Though, like I said, I think this is all academic anyway, because I really don't see Robson beating Kerber in the first round.

Dominika23
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Like Both Ladies Both Maria Got this Both Wish Chakvetadze Can prove me wrong she really need it more at this point. But either way if anna lose I like to see her being to three sets. Anna going have to pick up her game for rest season before U.S. Open Hopefully She can be Seed there. Either way I be happy with Either Result

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Umm, sorry, but the British press, and a few fans, don't take warmly to her brash American attitude since 2006, along with the shrieking on the court.

And again, I've seen that match where Sharapova didn't believe she would win against Serena, and the crowd really weren't that much of a difference. They were just hoping for a competitive good match that it was, with Serena in firm control after Maria didn't believe fully in her heart that she could win.

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Umm, sorry, but the British press, and a few fans, don't take warmly to her brash American attitude since 2006, along with the shrieking on the court.

And again, I've seen that match where Sharapova didn't believe she would win against Serena, and the crowd really weren't that much of a difference. They were just hoping for a competitive good match that it was, with Serena in firm control after Maria didn't believe fully in her heart that she could win.

Find me a British article which criticises her for her "brash American attitude".

Break My Rapture
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Two things:

You're grasping at straws. Robson and Garcia are two very different and still undeveloped players with different games. Garcia's good movement on the clay would always have been a bit of a problem for Maria. Laura OTOH isn't as mobile and light-footed.

First, R1 needs to be completed.

young_gunner913
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
1-0 RET win for Martha. Bye Jokes. :wavey:

Ciarán
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Fuck sake, nightmare first round regardless of the winner :sobbing:

atominside
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
this sluggahjell guy hates maria with a passion :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
this sluggahjell guy hates maria with a passion :lol:

LOL, :lol:

I really don't, since I'm not a hater at all. As I've said many threads, I'm happy for her off the court, and the future marriage and all. And she makes me laugh with her bitter sarcasm to the press, whether lost or even win of all things. Lol, I just tell the truth about her game and her personality, and how no one in the locker room sadly likes her.........That's all. :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Find me a British article which criticises her for her "brash American attitude".

ESPN's usual British gossip lady (until they dropped her a few years ago I think) who's name I can't recall said in 2008 that the Brits didn't like how "haughty" she was, and that they appreciated a little more "modesty" instead of how she is.

That's what she said that lady, so, just passing along what they feel in YOUR country. :lol:

Now I know, it's your fave and all, but I'm just passing along what people say, that's all. Sorry if it doesn't fit the rosy picture you want of her. :lol::lol:

jacobruiz
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM

He can't. He's too busy patrolling the women's locker room and sneaking into press conferences. :rolleyes:

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:52 PM

I really don't, since I'm not a hater at all. As I've said many threads, I'm happy for her off the court, and the future marriage and all. And she makes me laugh with her bitter sarcasm to the press, whether lost or even win of all things. Lol, I just tell the truth about her game and her personality, and how no one in the locker room sadly likes her.........That's all. :lol:

It's just kinda funny how she seems to be the only player you seem to post negatively about :confused:

atominside
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM
It's just kinda funny how she seems to be the only player you seem to post negatively about :confused:

this. Check out his previous posts:help:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM

I guess you didn't see me give her major props on WImby 04 on my Best Finals post this week, LOL........Just funny.

And Jankovic I have been "negative", as well as Cublkova, and a few others the last few days.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
this. Check out his previous posts:help:

:lol:

Another person stalking me about telling the whole story on this specific player......sigh, can't you guys be happy?

Novichok
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I guess you didn't see me give her major props on WImby 04 on my Best Finals post this week, LOL........Just funny.

And Jankovic I have been "negative", as well as Cublkova, and a few others the last few days.

Your posts about Masha do stand out.

PS: You're a very very very very active poster. So many posts in only 1 month. :worship:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM

PS: You're a very very very very active poster. So many posts in only 1 month. :worship:

Just some extra time on my hands, that's all.......Adds to an already enjoyable life. :cool:

Break My Rapture
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Yes because that is so important. Clearly have nothing better to say so you just whale out irrelevant stuff you can't even back up. :lol: So much for the truth about her game and personality, according to you.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:19 PM
He can't. He's too busy patrolling the women's locker room and sneaking into press conferences. :rolleyes:

:wavey:

You mad :fiery:?

Why so, because I just report and speak the whole story on your favorite/muse?

Can't y'all just be happy and face reality? :lol:

perseus2006
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:24 PM

What ya gonna do locked away in the rubber room with a laptop?

madmax
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM

ouch...:lol:

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
:lol:

Another person stalking me about telling the whole story on this specific player......sigh, can't you guys be happy?

Okay. In your eyes, it's the truth. Great. But her fans don't necessarily want to read about it/don't necessarily agree with it. And when most of your posts about Maria are negative (even though in your eyes, it's just the ''truth''), of course we'd get annoyed, of course we'd react to it. Just like you get annoyed when people underrate/underestimate Wozniacki. I just don't get why you're so hellbent on getting us all riled up. I know Maria has her delusional fans, but that's true of any fanbase.

doomsday
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I can't believe you guys are still arguing with this insane guy.:facepalm:

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
ESPN's usual British gossip lady (until they dropped her a few years ago I think) who's name I can't recall said in 2008 that the Brits didn't like how "haughty" she was, and that they appreciated a little more "modesty" instead of how she is.

That's what she said that lady, so, just passing along what they feel in YOUR country. :lol:

Now I know, it's your fave and all, but I'm just passing along what people say, that's all. Sorry if it doesn't fit the rosy picture you want of her. :lol::lol:

Is that it? You base your assertion that the British press hate her just on the opinion of one person who was passing on some hearsay, for which there is conveniently no video evidence?

I'm not trying to say Maria is wildly popular in every country. But the UK is a special case, because this is where she had her big breakthrough and so a lot of British tennis observers kind of feel some ownership of her. A lot of people here still think of her as the 17-year-old underdog who upset the odds. Plus, people here hate the Williams sisters so much that they were just glad someone finally broke their stranglehold at Wimbledon. :lol: And people find her grunting more hilarious than unbearable.

You might be able to find video footage of the Wimbledon crowd getting behind Maria's opponent when she's on the verge of an upset from a complete nonentity (Kudryavtseva, Dulko), because they love an underdog, but whenever Maria's played a fellow top player at Wimbledon, the crowd's been firmly on her side (Serena last year, Venus in '05 and '07, Mauresmo in '06). If you did a survey of people visiting Wimbledon and asked for favourite women's player, I'm almost certain Maria would be the most-said answer (POSSIBLY Clijsters, although I'd be surprised).

Or, all this distilled down to one word: FAIL.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Is that it? You base your assertion that the British press hate her just on the opinion of one person who was passing on some hearsay, for which there is conveniently no video evidence?

I'm not trying to say Maria is wildly popular in every country. But the UK is a special case, because this is where she had her big breakthrough and so a lot of British tennis observers kind of feel some ownership of her. A lot of people here still think of her as the 17-year-old underdog who upset the odds. Plus, people here hate the Williams sisters so much that they were just glad someone finally broke their stranglehold at Wimbledon. :lol: And people find her grunting more hilarious than unbearable.

You might be able to find video footage of the Wimbledon crowd getting behind Maria's opponent when she's on the verge of an upset from a complete nonentity (Kudryavtseva, Dulko), because they love an underdog, but whenever Maria's played a fellow top player at Wimbledon, the crowd's been firmly on her side (Serena last year, Venus in '05 and '07, Mauresmo in '06). If you did a survey of people visiting Wimbledon and asked for favourite women's player, I'm almost certain Maria would be the most-said answer (POSSIBLY Clijsters, although I'd be surprised).

Or, all this distilled down to one word: FAIL.

Ehhh, I really doubt that, since you have no proof of that, or any articles yourself despite being over there. For all I know, your sample size could just be you and your friends.

Let me give you some important breaking news: It's NOT 2004 anymore, :lol::lol:

They, like me, you, everyone else, was in love with her and Yuri, or most people were without knowing much about them back then. It was cool.

But as the years have passed, they really just don't care for her anymore. It's not hate, but it's really an indifference where she isn't really a crowd favorite, like a Federer or Nadal, as you prop her up to be.

And maybe in 08 and 09 they were cheering for her, because she was DOWN in those matches, and would be shocked to see a top seed exit as she did. That's always the case almost every tournament now.....They would do the same thing for Serena, Venus, Caroline or any other top player. That happens EVERYWHERE as you should know.

And they were really neutral last year when it was Serena-Maria.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Wait, is that something you do regularly?

Disturbing, very disturbing. :lol::lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I can't believe you guys are still arguing with this insane guy.:facepalm:

BTW, if you want good ol chuckie friend, you can gladly add me to your list of "The Woz protectors" down below, or save a special place in your heart for me. ;) :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Chakvetadze has never beaten Sharapova, right?

atominside
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
nope

Shes only one 1 set, but their matches have been tight. I think maria , 62 61.

Sorry chaky :(

Dominika23
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM

no it be nice too see her do tuesday

KournikovaFan91
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Anna :sobbing:

Maybe Maria will let her have a game or maybe 2. After all they must have bonded after that Fed Cup tie against Israel.:shrug: :sad:

Keadz
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Everything about this draw is shit.

Hope Anna can make it through the match :sad:

Dominika23
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Everything about this draw is shit.

Hope Anna can make it through the match :sad:

i hope so too hoping she a 100 % and give a great match. hoping by U.S open her ranking been went up and she be seed

lanaloveme
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I can't Stand none of these Heffa Really I don't even know How they even got in the top 10 Anna To me is the Worst Players So Far and Maria Has to Be the Worst Player to hold Grand Slam. Don't know why WTA even let them play tennis because they both suck. But Maria might win because she hate anna she said more than one time how anna just a waste and should just give up on her career and how bad of tennis players she is. they never been friend or saw eye to eye. But Like I said it whatever on who win both need to hang up they raqucet they getting old as hell 24 in tennis is pretty old and they both have been doing nothing much lately anna with only 8 title and i granted U she wont win other and Maria with only 23 so sad she might not win another one herself. If someone can tell me with they in done for tennis history both of them then we can talk.

Chakvenus
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
i'm glad you were banned after one post.

KarlyM*
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Rough draw for Anna. :hug:

MaruSharapova
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sad, I want both of them to do well, but i think Maria's going to win easily..

AnomyBC
Jun 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Damn, that really sucks for Chaky. Can't this girl ever get a break? :sad: