PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne is it raining???

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
They are showing yesterdays action?!?!?

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I guess so, they're showing Bepa vs Sam match here.

melodynelson
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Yes, the Portuguese commentator said unlike yesterday when play started 40 minutes or so after it was supposed to, it is supposed to continually rain all day and we'll see if we really get any play today.

I think the semifinals are washed out, unless we get lucky.

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I guess so, they're showing Bepa vs Sam match here.

Yeah same here

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Yes, the Portuguese commentator said unlike yesterday when play started 40 minutes or so after it was supposed to, it is supposed to continually rain all day and we'll see if we really get any play today.

I think the semifinals are washed out, unless we get lucky.

The rain is soooo annoying

Navratil
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Yes it is. But it is so windy it could stop soon ;)

It was suppossed to rain yesterday too and it is also raining in Wimbledon!

Krysteo
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Ya, rain and wind... we cross fingers but not sure at all there will be a match today.

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Yes it is. But it is so windy it could stop soon ;)

It was suppossed to rain yesterday too and it is also raining in Wimbledon!

Well it can stop that on Monday for a start. Grr been excited for it for a year.

*JR*
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
This supports my premise that there should not be full tournaments the week B4 the Slams! A bunch of 3 day Round Robins ending in the middle of the preceding week can give everyone who chooses to play one 3 warmup matches (even if she loses the first or second) along with some money and points.

One year an outdoor warmup event is gonna have 2B either terminated with no winner or run thru Sunday, maybe following Saturday semis and Friday quarters, and I'm gonna say: I told you so. (Maybe they already do coinflips in the lockerrom in such circumstances, to choose who's gonna "win" by walkova or the opponent tanking). :p

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Give over, it's not like it happens every year.

I'm at Eastbourne now - it's looking a bit brighter but I'm not getting my hopes up.

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
The forecast is for heavy rain there all day... although the wind is so strong that it might unpredictably blow through.

Forecast for tomorrow is much better though (dry/sunny, although very windy, most of the day, but possibly rain from about 6pm), so they should get it finished as long as they schedule smartly.

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Also, rain forecast for Wimbledon all early next week :tape:

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:13 PM

No!!!! Don't say that. Im going first couple of days.

TheHangover
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
i have a question for the british people here: HOW CAN YOU LIVE IN UK WITH THAT KIND OF WEATHER?
It rains every single day, don't you feel depressed?

Dani12
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
i have a question for the british people here: HOW CAN YOU LIVE IN UK WITH THAT KIND OF WEATHER?

Pretty sure that is why they move down under in droves, there is even a show about Brits relocating here :lol:

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Nope i love my country i wouldn't move away for anything. Besides where else has Wimbledon the best tennis tournament in the world.

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:28 PM

April was a great month though. :lol:

TheHangover
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Pretty sure that is why they move down under in droves, there is even a show about Brits relocating here :lol:

wow from england to australia? isn't it a bit extreme? here in tuscany is full of old brits buying all the best farmhouses (cascine) they have good taste

TheHangover
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Nope i love my country i wouldn't move away for anything. Besides where else has Wimbledon the best tennis tournament in the world.

agree with you about wimbledon, would love to go there

Dani12
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
wow from england to australia? isn't it a bit extreme? here in tuscany is full of old brits buying all the best farmhouses (cascine) they have good taste

I guess, even though it is a long way away, our cultures are very similar...Which makes the moving process a whole lot easier. Plus a lot of Brits just want sunshine and beaches, which we have plenty of.

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
:rain: = :weirdo: = :anzela:

veryborednow
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
And yet, I can't for the life of me work out why there are so many Aussies in London. Surely waiting tables in London isn't that lucrative :shrug:or does too much sun frazzle the brain and make people behave irrationally ;)

Josh.
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
And yet, I can't for the life of me work out why there are so many Aussies in London. Surely waiting tables in London isn't that lucrative :shrug:or does too much sun frazzle the brain and make people behave irrationally ;)

Its the same reason brits move out here - for something different. You have the close proximity to a wealth of other cultures and we have.. well.. New Zealand. Which isn't much different to Australia really. We have beaches, sunshine and a temperate climate most of the year. You guys have.. I've got nothing on that part. :lol:

Otlichno
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM
For Gods sake! :help:

It's still raining. :bigcry:

Italian power
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm happy to live in Tuscany :-P

Morning Morgan
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
STOPPED RAINING!!!!!! :woohoo:

veryborednow
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
It hasn't rained where I live in England today. We could hold the semi finals in my back garden and they might have been finished already. I reckon I could fit in a few members of the crowd too. Even more if they're willing to sit on the fence.

Dani12
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Its the same reason brits move out here - for something different. You have the close proximity to a wealth of other cultures and we have.. well.. New Zealand. Which isn't much different to Australia really. We have beaches, sunshine and a temperate climate most of the year. You guys have.. I've got nothing on that part. :lol:

Yeah Aussies just seem to love travelling, I read something about Australia having the most passport holders for its size or something. I'm the same, any chance I can get to travel abroad and experience something different...i'm there.

Meanwhile...how off topic is this :lol:

longtin23
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Maybe the grass court season shoulde change time and move to somewhere else...

Dani12
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
It doesn't even look like it is raining that much or even at all...

Dani12
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
No play before 4.30 over the loud speaker

Temperenka
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Wow that really sucks for these 4...

Especially Daniela and Petra who (might) have to play two matches on Saturday here, get to Wimbledon, and then play on Monday.

Especially if Daniela gets a dangerous qualifier who has won three matches at Wimbledon already.

ShimSham
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:42 PM
All the rain that should have fallen in April, is falling now instead. In the great scheme of life, all this rain is good, as parts of Britain are/were suffering from drought, and some farmers really needed rain.

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
They are preparing the court for play right now.

Antoshka
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Finally :facepalm:

nevetssllim
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Just Monday.

Yes.

Pdm1987
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Very depressed :sad: Can't wait to escape, I'm just waiting for the opportunity!

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Someone please tell me it's not raining again. :sobbing:

pov
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:59 PM

http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-finder/weather-climate/where-rainiest-place-earth

The place that has the most rainy days per year is Mount Wai-'ale'ale on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. It has up to 350 rainy days annually.

(London has approx 226 days)

-----------------

http://www.visitbritain.org/mediaroom/archive/archive2010/weather.aspx

BBC weather centre data shows Britain compares surprisingly well with many other potential holiday destinations. For example, the average number of days on which rain falls in London each year is less than in Paris, Santander in Spain, and Wellington (New Zealand).

If you put all the days that London has no rain in a year back-to back the dry spell would last from 1 January to 1 August. London is drier than Rome, New York, Brisbane, Rio de Janiero and Tokyo. The average minimum daily temperature in London is higher than in Seattle, Dublin and Toronto.

------------------

And anyway, overcast weather rocks!

PhilePhile
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Final decision by 5:30 local time.

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I gave up :lol:

KapitalL
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
cancelled for the day

Setsuna.
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
:sobbing:

DeliriousPotato
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I kind of fear that Eastbourne is going to get cancelled, can't see Petra, Marion, Sam and Dani agreeing to play semis AND a final on Monday if tomorrow rains... I mean, it's two tough matches plus the fact that Wimbledon will already be ongoing, they'll arrive in London exhausted... stuuuupid rain :eek:

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Woohoo, refund :cheer:

Although I'll be very annoyed if tomorrow gets washed out - I have good seats :sobbing:

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Play resumes tomorrow from 10:30 am.

veryborednow
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I kind of fear that Eastbourne is going to get cancelled, can't see Petra, Marion, Sam and Dani agreeing to play semis AND a final on Monday if tomorrow rains... I mean, it's two tough matches plus the fact that Wimbledon will already be ongoing, they'll arrive in London exhausted... stuuuupid rain :eek:
Weather forecast is fine for tomorrow, so your scenario shouldn't even be considered. Today was always going to be a washout, they've been predicting it since tuesday, so presumably these are the players happy to play up to the start of Wimbledon otherwise they would've lost earlier in the week ;)

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Weather forecast is fine for tomorrow, so your scenario shouldn't even be considered. Today was always going to be a washout, they've been predicting it since tuesday, so presumably these are the players happy to play up to the start of Wimbledon otherwise they would've lost earlier in the week ;)

Yeah, the women will almost certainly get finished tomorrow. There's virtually no chance of rain atall until about 4pm (and even then, it's only a brief shower... heavier rain from about 6pm), and the final is due to start about 1.30pm. The men's final is on after that though, so that might be held over til Sunday (although none of the men left standing are even the vaguest of threats at Wimbledon anyway, so they'd probably prefer a title over playing their unwinnable 1R at Wimbledon refreshed).

In any case, even if the final WAS delayed til Sunday, it only takes 2 hours tops to get from Eastbourne to London... foreigners don't realise just how compressed England is. :lol:

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the women will almost certainly get finished tomorrow. There's virtually no chance of rain atall until about 4pm (and even then, it's only a brief shower... heavier rain from about 6pm), and the final is due to start about 1.30pm. The men's final is on after that though, so that might be held over til Sunday (although none of the men left standing are even the vaguest of threats at Wimbledon anyway, so they'd probably prefer a title over playing their unwinnable 1R at Wimbledon refreshed).

In any case, even if the final WAS delayed til Sunday, it only takes 2 hours tops to get from Eastbourne to London... foreigners don't realise just how compressed England is. :lol:

Trouble is, in England that 2 hour trip can cost a small fortune :lol:

Ferg
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
As long as they can get both matches in tomorrow, no-one will want to tank and thats the important thing. :scared:

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM

:spit: True

Sammo
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
No... the Eastbourne volcano erupted :rolleyes: Of course it's raining

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM

:bigcry: So so true.

Return plane fares to places like Barcelona, Prague, Katowice, Paris etc are often cheaper than train fares from London to virtually any other part of England.

Damn the Tories for privatising British Rail. :mad:

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:02 PM
There's no consistency in rail fares either, regardless of how long you book in advance.

A journey from Eastbourne to Sheffield cost me £26 once, other times it's near the £100 mark :weirdo:

Bismarck.
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Seriously, even if you only travel a few times a year by train, buy a railcard. It will save you soooooooo much money.

Ferg
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
OMG wtf is that in your sig :hysteric:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM
There's no consistency in rail fares either, regardless of how long you book in advance.

A journey from Eastbourne to Sheffield cost me £26 once, other times it's near the £100 mark :weirdo:

This is where u need
www.splityourticket.co.uk

U can save lots on train fares even during peak times

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, buying online about a day in advance saves LOADS. I can usually get a ticket from Birmingham to Liverpool for about £10 by pre-ordering (and student discount)... before I started pre-ordering, it was closer to £30.