PDA

View Full Version : Best Wimbledon Final Of The Last Decade

sluggahjells
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
2001: Venus Williams defeats Justine Henin 6–1, 3–6, 6–0
mL9aIBSkhaQ
High quality match this was, but even with Justine winning the 2nd set, you really never thought Venus was going to lose this match, especially with that 2nd set I think decide by that one break. The last set showed that (And this by the way was the last Sunday final for the women from what I recall. Thankfully given their own day from then on.)

2002: Serena Williams defeats Venus Williams 7-6 (4), 6-3
tS7UNjU8lYU
The building of the Serena slam, in full effect, is what this semi-nervy, and just semi okay final was.

2003 Serena Williams defeats Venus Williams 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
iwhU0WqoZkw
Eh, not much I can say on this final, other than it being a tight nervous one, and Venus never being consistent enough on her serve. They still had some nerves playing each other on the big stage.

2004 Maria Sharapova defeats Serena Williams 6-1, 6-4
S-BmrazJxbM
Tracy Austin gets major props for this one. She saw how vulnerable Serena was after surviving Mauresmo, and how hungry and eager Maria was to make a huge breakthrough. And that was indeed the case for sure, even with a more complicated 2nd set.

2005 Venus Williams defeats Lindsay Davenport 4-6, 7-6 (4), 9-7
OJYm1JNNSOA
The favorite so far in this contest. All you really need to see is that third set, in what turned out to be the longest match in Wimbledon history for the 'ladies'. Venus' level was nowhere as good as her semifinal win over Sharapova, but her legendary calm (at the time) was on full display that day. Still gutted for Lindsay, but at least she has one.

2006 Amelie Mauresmo defeats Justine Henin 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
LTbvwTGyink
The sleeper in my mind. Mauresmo was keen to win a major final where Justine DIDN'T QUIT on her and beat her just outright. And with her occasional serve and volleying, she did, and one of the game's delights beat her former Belgian friend in a fun and underrated final. Alize to you wonderful Amelie'.

2007 Venus Williams defeats Marion Bartoli 6-4, 6-1
qROoA2JvaRc
In what was suppose to be Venus-Justine for "2nd best behind Serena", Mademoiselle Marion spoiled the party. On uncovered Centre Court (really odd and quiet ugly), Venus was forever comfortable in one where the only thing Bartoli besides major respect on the tour was Pierce Bosnan's attention.

2008 Venus Williams defeats Serena Williams 7-5, 6-4
VX3o8liyN0M
In the "Serena acted like a brat" match, Venus finally served consistently well enough in this great two set match. The first set was quite remarkable, where the tiebreak turned out to be so crucial in deciding who would win this match. Clearly the best final they have played against each other.

2009 Serena Williams defeats Venus Williams 7-6, 6-2
6f5x5xEZUgw
Serena made it 3 out of 4 against Venus in the final match on the LTA's grown. Good match, but Venus wasn't as good as she was the previous year in the final, while Serena stayed the same level.

2010 Serena Williams defeats Vera Zvonareva 6-3, 6-2

Ehh, besides Serena's brilliance and Vera' first of two Grand Slam finals disappointing efforts, what I most remember about this match was........the great game Germany played in destorying Argentina in last year's World Cup quarters. And man, was that as much of a beatdown as Serena's 4th Wimbledon title.
vKN1fVl2c24

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is in terms of the best final and not the "best in your heart" (Though we can all vote now, it's not a despotic thread, but a democratic one).

-Certain people will certainly pick what their hearts desired as the "best" final, but the two that clearly standout for me (as well as virtually everyone else) is of course the 2005 marathon, as well as the underrated followup the next year with Mauresmo beating Henin after losing 6-2 in that first set. That was a marvelous win from amicable and awesome Amelie.

Alejandrawrrr
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Read on only to see what you would say about the 04 final :oh:

Anyway, 05 obviously. It was the last match where Venus showed her nerves of steel. 07 would have been orgasmic had Shittoli not ruined it and then gotten thrashed in the final.

sluggahjells
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Read on only to see what you would say about the 04 final :oh:

Anyway, 05 obviously. It was the last match where Venus showed her nerves of steel. 07 would have been orgasmic had Shittoli not ruined it and then gotten thrashed in the final.

Lol, you won't be the only one who will:lol:. But, as always, I'm fair, call it as I see it, and never hate on anyone :cool:

Helen Lawson
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I really liked the Mauresmo Henin match, both were playing well and you really didn't know who would win until the very end.

I wasn't that into 2005, once Lindsay lost her match point, I felt Venus would win.

serenafan08
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
The 2005 final...duh. 2008 was high quality as well; probably one of the best matches the Williams sisters have played against each other. Other than that the rest of the finals ahven't been too much to sneeze at.

serenafann
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Easy answer, 2005 _baby!

vozas
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Everyone knows it's the 2005 final. One of the best female tennis matches of all time.

I liked the 2004 one. Maria came up with truly unbelievable shots.

And I guess the 2006 one is OK too, even though Henin choked big time.

serenaforever
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Definitely 2005. :worship:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Venus VS Davenport was EPIC!

In The Zone
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:24 AM
What kind of question is this?

It should be, WHAT WAS THE SECOND BEST? We know what #1 is. Jeez!!

How about the US Open where we haven't had a 3 setter epic in ages? :(

Smitten
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM
:lol: @ these 2006 votes. It was only interesting because the style of play was different to what we had seen in Wimbledon finals.

As far as the actual match, Henin played poor enough that she couldn't even allow Mauresmo to choke.

Paldias
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Venus-Davenport. Not only best final, but probably one of the best women's matches ever.

Graftard
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM
2006. Proper grass court tennis without ball bashing and shrieking added to the mix.

In The Zone
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM
2006. Proper grass court tennis without ball bashing and shrieking added to the mix.

With only 52 posts, and given how quickly you are to respond, it is unusual you know "shrieking" and "ball bashing."

Banned poster alert.

Graftard
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:43 AM
With only 52 posts, and given how quickly you are to respond, it is unusual you know "shrieking" and "ball bashing."

Banned poster alert.

Because being a long time tennis fan and posting on these forums at the same time is now a requirement :weirdo:

You don't need the infinite wisdom of armchair analysts on this forum to understand how clueless 99% of the tour is on grass and how no one has any variety these days. Not to mention grunting to disrupt their opponent.

2006 Wimby was a flashback to golden era when players weren't afraid to S&V, were able to slice and play beautiful tennis. Sorry a fanboy like you can't see it. Most probably because your favs weren't in the final :zzz:

In The Zone
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:45 AM
But, Serena and Venus have proven that their games can win over the "S&V" tennis. Clearly, "S&V" tennis is antiquated. Why would you play a certain way if you can't win? You play the best to win. P.S. Beautiful tennis is subjective. Fierce groundstrokes, movement, slice serves out wide, and great volleys is quite a beautiful tennis game to me.

2001 Wimbledon final proved it. 2004 Wimbledon semifinal proved it.

9 Wimbledon titles in the past 11 years to 1 for the S&V tennis player proves it as well.

It might have been a throwback but it was not the best match of the decade, my dear. Fanboy aside.

Graftard
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:52 AM
But, Serena and Venus have proven that their games can win over the "S&V" tennis. Clearly, "S&V" tennis is antiquated. Why would you play a certain way if you can't win? You play the best to win. P.S. Beautiful tennis is subjective. Fierce groundstrokes, movement, slice serves out wide, and great volleys is quite a beautiful tennis game to me.

2001 Wimbledon final proved it. 2004 Wimbledon semifinal proved it.

9 Wimbledon titles in the past 11 years to 1 for the S&V tennis player proves it as well.

It might have been a throwback but it was not the best match of the decade, my dear. Fanboy aside.

Blame the slowed down grass.

Ironically, I think the player in your avatar is actually a victim of this fact. Venus who is a natural net player with huge wing span and unreturnable flat serve would have been all but unbeatable on 90's grass and would easily adapt for S&V play. Sadly, she has been turned into mostly baseliner where she is much weaker thanks to racquet technology allowing better returning and passing shots.

Call me a nostalgiatard, but I prefered actual classic grass court tennis, even though it has lost effectiveness. Watch another baseline basher like Na Li win Wimby this year approaching the net once per match :zzz:

hurricanejeanne
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM
2005 Venus v. Lindsay without question. :sobbing:
2006 Amelie v. Justine is a close second though.

friendsita
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Venus vs. Lindsay - 2005
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmu8i1nLye1qcxh43o1_250.gif

AcesHigh
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:13 AM
2005 and nothing comes close

AnywhereButHome
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Definitely 2005 Venus vs Lindsay

claypova
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
ofc the best final was 2005, but my favourite is 2004 :oh:

rimon
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Of the last decade, definitely 2006. Great serve-volley tennis from both players. However, if we go back 15 years, then 1997 takes it for me. Beautiful play from both Hingis and Novotna.

Pops Maellard
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Venus-Lindsay of course.

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Ok for me it was 2004 for obvious reasons. Maria was just awesome that day and it was just fantastic to see her win it.
2005 was EPIC didn't know which way it was going to go, I remember rooting for Lindsay big time after Venus put Maria out in the semi's but nevertheless was a fantastic final and really showed people that the women can play as good as the men!!!!
2006 i felt so sorry for Justine so that overshadowed any enjoyment of the match.

bandabou
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Because being a long time tennis fan and posting on these forums at the same time is now a requirement :weirdo:

You don't need the infinite wisdom of armchair analysts on this forum to understand how clueless 99% of the tour is on grass and how no one has any variety these days. Not to mention grunting to disrupt their opponent.

2006 Wimby was a flashback to golden era when players weren't afraid to S&V, were able to slice and play beautiful tennis. Sorry a fanboy like you can't see it. Most probably because your favs weren't in the final :zzz:

:spit: interesting...a Graftard talking about S&V. Graf sure looked like the second-coming of Navratilova during her Wimbledon victories. :lol:

Deneb
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:14 AM
For me undoubtedly 2006. Loved their style of play & my favorite won. :)

rimon
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Ok for me it was 2004 for obvious reasons. Maria was just awesome that day and it was just fantastic to see her win it.
2005 was EPIC didn't know which way it was going to go, I remember rooting for Lindsay big time after Venus put Maria out in the semi's but nevertheless was a fantastic final and really showed people that the women can play as good as the men!!!!
2006 i felt so sorry for Justine so that overshadowed any enjoyment of the match.

Yes, they can play as well as the men (ranked in the 1000s).

Betten
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
2005, obviously.

Although it was great to see Venus finally beat Serena in a GS final again. Next year things were back to normal though.