PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the Men at Easbourne

Spice
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Surely it is time for the Men to go! We have to share time on the court! The matches they have today on Centre Court please! The only name they had was Tsonga and James Ward for the home fans! The French Champion hasen't even been on Centre Court!

Certinfy
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
How about getting rid of the women at every big joint event on tour? That would make more sense.

Matej
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
How about getting rid of the women at every big joint event on tour? That would make more sense.

The mens tournament in Eastbourne is by no means a "big event", though. Its a classic MM tourney. :)

Matt01
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The scheduling at this event is ridiculous, that's for sure.

As someone already said, Eastbourne is hardly a "big event" for the men.

Why don't you go back to MTF where you're coming from. :ras:

nevetssllim
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I quite like the fact the men play in Eastbourne because it means the women's matches are more spread out so you don't miss as much. :p Plus the more matches on show, the better. :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Eastbourne is obviously not that interested in men's tennis, at least not with the field the tournament attracts these last couple of years. I have heard posters say that the crowds leave the stands for men's matches but turn up for the women there.

Londoner
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Eastbourne is obviously not that interested in men's tennis, at least not with the field the tournament attracts these last couple of years. I have heard posters say that the crowds leave the stands for men's matches but turn up for the women there.

I was there Tuesday and Wednesday and it's pretty much true what you say. Yesterday, people were there largely for the Venus and Serena matches. Many spectators wander around watching a few games of different matches. I quite enjoyed doing that myself. If one match is boring you just pop onto another court.

It's an odd bunch that goes to Eastbourne. If most fans on here are under 40 then most at Eastbourne are over 40! Lots of very fat people (mostly women!)- fattest people I have ever seen!, elderly, disabled (I've never seen so many at a sporting event!), gays (men and women), groups of straight well to do middle aged women drinking wine, odd ball single blokes (some very strange ones queueing for Ana's autograph), and a general smattering of peculiar fantatic types (men and girls) - I saw a very odd girl pretty much stalking Stosur and acting very strange around the practice courts, with a few kids running around. Lots of people having pic nics and lots of single men with huge cameras! Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's a very interesting experience.

It's also very weird having the likes of Na and Hantuchova and Ivanovich just wandering around. Most players are very accessible - strange given the Seles incident and some of the obvious loons around. I also saw Lisa Raymond with her doubles partner watching the Black doubles match having a good old bitch about her!

But most there seem interested in the female players. I happened to enjoy many of the mens matches and it was intersting to see how tall and thin most of them are! Compared to the women who all seem to have a little excess weight and quite large arses!, apart from Hantuchova and Ivanovich. Venus still looks slim but a little heavier around the behind than when I saw her at Wimbledon last year, and Serena is massive! No matter what anyone may say she is built like the proverbial brick outhouse!

Finally, very few non-whites around. Richard and his bird stood out like sore thumbs bless them! They sat amongst the spectators watching the Hantuchova match.

Anyway, as I say I think the men add something to the tournament. It gives a contrast and you really can see the difference in power levels!

mauresmofan
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Well if the women are allowed to be carried at Madrid by the men then I don't see your point at all.

adner
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Well if the women are allowed to be carried at Madrid by the men then I don't see your point at all.

Madrid has 2/3 TV courts so all of the important matches are televised anyway. Eastbourne is for some reason showing the mugfests of Schuettler and Tipsarevic instead of Top 10 women matches.

KingCrimson88
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Those "mugs" would destroy any top 10 woman players.

adner
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Those "mugs" would destroy any top 10 woman players.

Your point? :o

mauresmofan
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Madrid has 2/3 TV courts so all of the important matches are televised anyway. Eastbourne is for some reason showing the mugfests of Schuettler and Tipsarevic instead of Top 10 women matches.

The grass court season is extremely short so obviously having a dual tournament where spectators can see some good matches of either sex is why this tournament is packed out and don't you think it's nice for the first time in a long time that bums are on seats watching the women play day after day? I'm not saying it's down to the men, probably more down to the Williams Sisters than anyone but if they can bring in a few people to watch the matches then where's the harm?

Renalicious
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
It's quite weird because the women's event was so packed but the men's draw is very weak, yet they have 2 matches of each on Centre Court when really the women should get much more time on Centre Court. I think they should do 3 Women's matches on CC and 1 men's match...

Maria rocks
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
If men can play at Eastbourne next year the ladies should be able to play at Queens.

Spice
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
That's not the point! Queens is for Men and Eastbourne is for Women! Stick the men back at Nottingham instead of this stupid Festival of Tennis that Nottingham had! Bring back Surbition the week before Birmingham and Queen's!

Albireo
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
http://misterdo.com/cblog/uploads/StillPhotos/PattyAndSelmaSmoking.jpg

"Once the seed's been planted, you can throw away the envelope."

Raiden
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
That's not the point! Queens is for Men and Eastbourne is for Women!Then Indian Wells is for men... and so is Madrid... and Brisbane... etc etc

terjw
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. It was regarded as a success when they brought in the men. I wasn't that keen when they did it - but apparently numbers went up that year. And the organisers and sponsors regard it as a success.

vixter
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
http://misterdo.com/cblog/uploads/StillPhotos/PattyAndSelmaSmoking.jpg

"Once the seed's been planted, you can throw away the envelope."

:worship:

DragonFlame
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Weve got a hot 21-year old asian on court right now, so lets not get rid of the men at eastbourne. :drool:

Spice
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
So you are telling me that if Monte Carlo take the women in at an International Level like Eastbourne is for the Men and Premier for Women. They would put Nadal Federer on and put on say Bartoli and Safarova as other matches Please all the women's matches would be relegated. I think as the standard is getting higher and higher the Men's matches should be relegated to other courts. They are not as good! End of

AdeyC
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM
That's not the point! Queens is for Men and Eastbourne is for Women! Stick the men back at Nottingham instead of this stupid Festival of Tennis that Nottingham had! Bring back Surbition the week before Birmingham and Queen's!

No should bring back Beckenham

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Weve got a hot 21-year old asian on court right now, so lets not get rid of the men at eastbourne. :drool:

Wonder what is your definition of "hot". A twink ?

melodynelson
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Wonder what is your definition of "hot". A twink ?

Beauty is relative, but unfortunately people's subliminal racism isn't.

toxina90
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM
:o

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Beauty is relative, but unfortunately people's subliminal racism isn't.

I'm not racist. Just saying he's not particularly the embodiment of manhood. He's kind of cute but I wouldn't say that he's hot.

Certinfy
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:23 PM
No, Queens is for men, Birmingham is for women, Eastbourne is for both. :wavey:

DragonFlame
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
He's a good-looking guy of my own age. He's sweet. :)

Some people need to take comments in a thread like this a little less serious. :o

lynxy
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
It's an odd bunch that goes to Eastbourne. If most fans on here are under 40 then most at Eastbourne are over 40! Lots of very fat people (mostly women!)- fattest people I have ever seen!, elderly, disabled (I've never seen so many at a sporting event!), gays (men and women), groups of straight well to do middle aged women drinking wine, odd ball single blokes (some very strange ones queueing for Ana's autograph), and a general smattering of peculiar fantatic types (men and girls) - I saw a very odd girl pretty much stalking Stosur and acting very strange around the practice courts, with a few kids running around. Lots of people having pic nics and lots of single men with huge cameras! Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's a very interesting experience.

It's also very weird having the likes of Na and Hantuchova and Ivanovich just wandering around. Most players are very accessible - strange given the Seles incident and some of the obvious loons around. I also saw Lisa Raymond with her doubles partner watching the Black doubles match having a good old bitch about her!

But most there seem interested in the female players. I happened to enjoy many of the mens matches and it was intersting to see how tall and thin most of them are! Compared to the women who all seem to have a little excess weight and quite large arses!, apart from Hantuchova and Ivanovich. Venus still looks slim but a little heavier around the behind than when I saw her at Wimbledon last year, and Serena is massive! No matter what anyone may say she is built like the proverbial brick outhouse!

Finally, very few non-whites around. Richard and his bird stood out like sore thumbs bless them! They sat amongst the spectators watching the Hantuchova match.
What is this, an alien anthropologist at Eastbourne? Never mind little men with big cameras, has anyone spotted someone with antennae like Deely Bobbers? True, most of the Eastbourne audience are old women who thought devonshire park would make a change from sipping tea in their conservatories.
Venus is not the only tennis player with a big backside disguised by a pleat skirt most of the time. I could wax lyrical about the best bum in tennis but you wouldn't have heard of her. :lol:

The men's draw doesn't seem to have pulled any bigger crowds to the place. I loved it when Eurosport in the middle of Stepanek cut to a man alone in the middle of about 20 seats, with sunglasses and a mac done all the way up and his arms folded, like he was expecting a snow storm in the antarctic.

Mary Cherry.
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Those old women are just the locals. They go every year :shrug:

The men's draw doesn't seem to have pulled any bigger crowds to the place. I loved it when Eurosport in the middle of Stepanek cut to a man alone in the middle of about 20 seats, with sunglasses and a mac done all the way up and his arms folded, like he was expecting a snow storm in the antarctic.

To be fair, it was absolutely freezing.

Raiden
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Eastbourne is basically a refuge of grumpy auld hoity toity toffs who want to avoid being surrounded by lower class "rabble youth" in Brighton.

Wimbledon9
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Eastbourne was always a tournament for women and until a few years ago when the best women decided not to come the women could easily fill the stands.

The women players owe it to themselves that the men are playing there now. When this tournament started the stars came, Martina Navratilova won it 11 times and no not because there were no other good players: Chris Evert, Virginia Wade, Jana Novotna, Sanches Vicario Henin and Mauresmo were there.
I read that Venus and Serena Williams are there for the first time since 1998 or 1999 that says enough.
The old ladies that attend spend their summers in Eastbourne and are the best and most loyal fans.

duhcity
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Lord. Madrid isn't even carried by men. It's carried by Nadal and any other spanish claycourter that will bend over when the time comes.
If it wasn't a spanish man or Federer, Madrid was barely filled.

Raiden
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Lord. Madrid isn't even carried by men. It's carried by Nadal...... spanish man...... Federer...inconsequential.

Nadal + Spanish claycourters + Federer = men

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Don't get rid of us guys :cool:

Seriously tho, what they just need to do, just like the UNICEF Open is doing, is put a 2nd camera on Court 1.

I don't understand why UK and US (non-Masters Series/Premier 5/Mandatory) tournaments don't want to pony up a few dollars that won't hurt anyone and put a camera on a 2nd court like the rest of Europe (or a good bit of Europe seems to do).

Just based on TV coverage, you would think that s-Hertogenbosch had all the top players and that Eastbourne had Clijsters, The Kuz, and a few others. While I always liked Jelena Dokic and Larsson is okay in my book, they get a TV coverage while Aggie-Petra doesn't, or Marion-Vika doesn't???

Truly bizarre.

Eastboroune and Birmingham need to do way better. (And so does Stanford, La Costa (San Diego), Carlson (LA) too).

Empressive
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Don't get rid of us guys :cool:
Just based on TV coverage, you would think that s-Hertogenbosch had all the top players and that Eastbourne had Clijsters, The Kuz, and a few others. While I always liked Jelena Dokic and Larsson is okay in my book, they get a TV coverage while Aggie-Petra doesn't, or Marion-Vika doesn't???

Truly bizarre.

Eastboroune and Birmingham need to do way better. (And so does Stanford, La Costa (San Diego), Carlson (LA) too).

In all honesty, women's tennis isn't that popular anymore.

But I agree. Tournaments usually combine men and women to get more coverage, but then they just put all the men on Centre and the women get less coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if the men arrived at Stanford in the next 5 years or so.

For example, TTC. Last year they covered all 4 QFs live. This year? None, at least to my knowledge.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
In all honesty, women's tennis isn't that popular anymore.

But I agree. Tournaments usually combine men and women to get more coverage, but then they just put all the men on Centre and the women get less coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if the men arrived at Stanford in the next 5 years or so.

For example, TTC. Last year they covered all 4 QFs live. This year? None, at least to my knowledge.

In America it isn't, but in terms of the global spectrum, tennis is still popular, and women's tennis is still by far the #1 women's sport.

Even The Women's World Cup Soccer still can't touch the WTA, and let's not even start on the WUSA, WNBA, and LPGA tour.

I have learned more this year how Eurosport still shows how very popular the women are in Europe, with coverage of almost every tourney that matters, especially the clay court season. That was quite remarkable and enjoyable I have to say.

Europe still loves their tennis, and even here in New York City, where a sport on the decline will definitely get tuned out in a hurry, women's tennis can still generate (even with the men helping of course).

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:15 AM

They couldn't cover all 4 this year because only two of them were on the main court (Centre Court), while the other two where on non TV Court 1.

mauresmofan
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Lord. Madrid isn't even carried by men. It's carried by Nadal and any other spanish claycourter that will bend over when the time comes.
If it wasn't a spanish man or Federer, Madrid was barely filled.

At least you remember who played in the mens event - the womens event was so unbelievably dull I think at least half the people in attendance for the women's matches were only there because either Nadal or Federer were playing next and they wanted a half decent seat. Just because the men entering Eastbourne aren't the cream of the crop doesn't mean they're not worth watching. Eastbourne has been by far the best tournament in the womens game in a very very long time. Hopefully the tide of crap we've witnessed for far too long has finally turned!

In The Zone
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Eastbourne is a much more important tournament on the WTA than ATP. End.

Maria rocks
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Eastbourne is a much more important tournament on the WTA than ATP. End.

Too right. I enjoyed those two women quarters on Centre court yesterday. Again showed that the women can play as good as any man!!!!

Betten
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Funny how people want to get rid of the men at Eastbourne, yet practically salivated at the thought of Halle getting a women's event.

duhcity
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:48 AM
At least you remember who played in the mens event - the womens event was so unbelievably dull I think at least half the people in attendance for the women's matches were only there because either Nadal or Federer were playing next and they wanted a half decent seat. Just because the men entering Eastbourne aren't the cream of the crop doesn't mean they're not worth watching. Eastbourne has been by far the best tournament in the womens game in a very very long time. Hopefully the tide of crap we've witnessed for far too long has finally turned!

My point was that if the crowd were generally interested in tennis, they would stay and watch. I remember Madrid. One of my faves, Petra, won over Vika. Both of whom lost to Na at Roland Garros, who went deep at Madrid as well. It was not the level or quality of tennis that kept spectators away. It's a problem, that sadly, both mens and womens tours are struggling with. Retaining interest past a few players in several key markets.

The ATP is extremely lucky (and imo is at it's peak level in it's history) to have had Roger, Rafa, Novak, and Murray all remain relevant at the same time in the last few years. All different and appeal to different kinds of people.

Unfortunately, people prefer men's sports, so even when the ATP is in a lull, it'll have a following.

I really don't know what point I just tried to make. Generally, that the WTA will never generally be more popular than the ATP, especially as the sport continues to expand internationally.

And I'd say that Stuttgart or Stanford are the best tournaments on the tour. Although Eastbourne is definitely up there. Another personal fave is New Haven.

Speaking of New Haven and this topic. They actually chose to keep womens tennis at New Haven over mens tennis. Is that a first?

lynxy
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Sepp Blatter has the answer. Make them play in tight shorts!

Dementinator
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Get shot of the hairy assed lumps....

(and the men)

Sorry, couldnt help myself....

Having been to EB this week the Men being there make little difference, no one was hardly interested in them and they just filled up some space, hardly knew they were there really, everyone was there to see the WS and all the other top girls.

They kept reminding folks over the Tannoy that Radek was in the autograph cubicle but didnt seem to have to do that with Ivanovic.