PDA

View Full Version : Serena's ranking after Wimbledon

dsanders06
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Well, obviously it doesn't take a genius to figure out that, if Serena fails to defend her Wimbledon title, she's going to take a BIG tumble on the rankings. Aside from her Wimbledon points, the only points she will have on the computer is 60 from Eastbourne.

Based on THIS WEEK'S rankings, these are the positions she would be in depending on her Wimbledon result:

Winner: #23 / 2060 pts
Runner-Up: #35 / 1460 pts
Semi-Finals: #65 / 960 pts
Quarter-Finals: #123 / 560 pts
Round of 16: #175 / 340 pts
3rd Round: #249 / 220 pts
2nd Round: #313 / 160 pts
1st Round: #510 / 65 pts

Pasta-Na
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
hope she'll defend her title. :cheer:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
wow :o need at least semi to stay in top 100 :unsure:

Jarrett
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
They don't require 4 events on the computer anymore to have a ranking?

VeeJJ
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
This will surely motivate her to play a full summer hard court session. Imagine she has to play qualifying for the USO :tape:

Protoss
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
What's Serena's schedule after Wimbledon? Depending on her Wimbledon result and post Wimbledon schedule she may be unseeded and extremely looming for the US Open.

Paldias
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
She's going to need and will receive a WC into everything. This won't mean anything if she gets back to her previous form, she'll be able to rack enough points to be seeded by the US open

eDonkey
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
wow :o need at least semi to stay in top 100 :unsure:

This sounded like she can't use PR and won't be there (in top 30) in just a few weeks.:p

dsanders06
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
This will surely motivate her to play a full summer hard court session. Imagine she has to play qualifying for the USO :tape:

She'll have a protected ranking of about #10, which would get her into every event... and even without that she'd get wildcards. :p

But she will possibly (nay, probably) be unseeded at the US Open, if she can't atleast make the Wimbledon final.

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM

She's already motivated to play a full summer......She's even playing WTT.

And if he came down to that, the USTA would give her a wild card clearly. She will NEVER in her life have to qualify for the US Open ever.

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
She'll have a protected ranking of about #10, which would get her into every event... and even without that she'd get wildcards. :p

But she will possibly (nay, probably) be unseeded at the US Open.

Probably?

She's already quite fit, and she's happy to just play tennis again and play a full summer for a change.

No question she will be a seed for the US Open with no points to defend, and her getting points this week from Eastbourne.

Let's think rationally with our minds instead of irrationally with our heart's desire now :wavey:

kris719
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
damn that's crazy, QF result drops her outside of top 100 :eek:

new-york
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hope she wins it if her sis doesn't but it would actually be fun to have her as a dangerous floater, ruining draws left and right. :oh:

madmax
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Probably?

She's already quite fit, and she's happy to just play tennis again and play a full summer for a change.

No question she will be a seed for the US Open with no points to defend, and her getting points this week from Eastbourne.

Let's think rationally with our minds instead of irrationally with our heart's desire now :wavey:

let's not ACT like she is gonna start sweeping the field in all tournaments, shall we? Her serve is shaky and her ground game is not up to par with the best hitters of today

dsanders06
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone know what Serena's lowest ranking before the AO07 turnaround was?

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
damn that's crazy, QF result drops her outside of top 100 :eek:

she'll surely make QF
its easier in slams as you get to play easier opponents in 1st week.

if she dont make QF, she'll uses up one of the USTA WC for US Open

dsanders06
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
if she dont make QF, she'll uses up one of the USTA WC for US Open

Wouldn't she get in on a protected ranking?

starin
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
damn SF to stay top 100.
I forgot she only has 1 tournament in her ranking.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Wouldn't she get in on a protected ranking?
its her choice if she wants to use it

hurricanejeanne
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
God, imagine if she uses a wildcard/protected ranking and be unseeded for the US Open and gets Wozniacki or Clijsters or Li in the first round.

Hopefully, Serena plays a solid schedule this summer. I don't expect her to turn it around quickly, but to have the sort of summer she had back in 2006.

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
let's not ACT like she is gonna start sweeping the field in all tournaments, shall we? Her serve is shaky and her ground game is not up to par with the best hitters of today

Um, I didn't say she was going to sweep everyone in every tournament, did I? :lol:

Everytime you challenge me, you seem to fail EVEN more nowadays than your muse :lol::lol:

Please, I urge you to stop embarrassing yourself like this. It's getting sadder by the day. You need that :help:

And who's the "best hitters of today" that she hasn't beaten? Oh you just make yourself look more hilariously clownish every day. :wavey:

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
God, imagine if she uses a wildcard/protected ranking and be unseeded for the US Open and gets Wozniacki or Clijsters or Li in the first round.

Hopefully, Serena plays a solid schedule this summer. I don't expect her to turn it around quickly, but to have the sort of summer she had back in 2006.

She WAY fitter than what she was in 2006, when she was injured and down all summer. She's happy to be playing again, and is feeling great about life.

Novichok
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM

That would never happen. :lol:

Novichok
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM

She's only played 6 sets and has shown massive improvement.

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
She's only played 6 sets and has shown massive improvement.

This is what happens when you talk to irrational people, LOL. :lol:

Marlene
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM

No. Minimum 3 tournaments -OR- minimum of 10 pts in one or more tournaments.

RenaSlam.
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Step.

terjw
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM

I'm sorry. That's just not going to ever happen even if she missed the whole of the summer again. If she hasn't got the ranking - then either a protected ranking or a WC gets her into the main draw for as long as she wants to play.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM

you honestly think they would make her play qualifying? :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM

you were saying this even when she was winning slams the past couple years :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
you were saying this even when she was winning slams the past couple years :lol:

He/She was saying that??
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think they want to come back on TF today.

Ryan
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I won't be surprised if she wins it all. :lol: :bowdown: But if I had to pick, I'd say she'll make it (depending on the draw) to the QF and then lose.

madmax
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM

hmm yeah, the difference was being her serve, which saved her ass countless of times when facing tough situations in her service games. If she can serve her way to yet another grass slam title, more power to her then

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I won't be surprised if she wins it all. :lol: :bowdown: But if I had to pick, I'd say she'll make it (depending on the draw) to the QF and then lose.

thanks for calling quarterena back...do you know how long it took us to get rid of her?? huh?? :rolleyes:

Le Tenisse
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM

No.

Vincey!
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I think Serena will at least make the QF here, thanks to her good seeding she won't have to face big threats before that stage. From what I know she'll play in Toronto at least so that's a lot of points for her to take. I'm guessing she's going to add at least 2 more tourneys, probably 3, so even if she doesn't win all those 3 or 4 next tourneys she'll be in the top 30. She'll also get in all the tourneys she wants, no matter her ranking. Etheir with PR (most probably) or WCs if needed.

shoryuken
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
didn't realize she'd fall so much but at the end it doesn't matter too much since its she'd have to beat 7 opponents either way

tievae
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hopefully Serena defends, because if she fell out of the top 100. :tape: :bolt:

mdterp01
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Well if she doesn't do well at Wimbledon then she can quickly rise up again because she has nothing to defend after Wimbledon. If its one person where ranking doesn't mean shit is Serena J Williams. Believe me its the other girls who are hoping Serena does well so they won't have to face her ass early in tournaments.

dsanders06
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I'm guessing she's going to add at least 2 more tourneys, probably 3, so even if she doesn't win all those 3 or 4 next tourneys she'll be in the top 30.

I'm really not sure about that... when Sharapova was on the comeback trail in summer 2009, she only climbed from #65 after Wimbledon to #30 when the USO came around, and that was with a strong set of results (Tier 1 final, SF and QF at other Premier events). IF Serena loses before the semis at Wimbledon and consequently falls out of the top 100, then she's looking at potentially having to win both Toronto and Cincinnatti in back-to-back weeks (winning 6 matches at each, as she won't be getting first-round byes) to get seeded at the US Open. It does get surprisingly tricky to keep leaping up the ranks once you get into the top 50, semis and quarterfinals don't get you very far when you're in that sort of range.

Don't get me wrong - she COULD do it. I'm just making the point that, if she wants to get a seeding, her usual half-arsed efforts at non-Slams and settling for a semifinal finish aren't going to cut it.

Stamp Paid
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hopefully Serena defends, because if she fell out of the top 100. :tape: :bolt:We're unbothered by the rankings to be honest.

faboozadoo15
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:28 AM
She'll probably do reasonably well at Wimbledon even if she doesn't get her footing (4R/QF at least).

It's more important that she's able to start playing matches without huffing and puffing between points. Her ranking will take care of itself. I think that those of you expecting her to win events left and right might have to be more patient. And those of you expecting her to play 3 or 4 events between Wimbledon and the US Open might also have to reevaluate the likelihood of that.

swim4life227
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I think she could win Wimbledon. She showed great form off of the ground today and has improved tenfold from yesterday. If I was going with my gut? I'd say Venus is going to win. She looked pretty damn incredible today and she is looked like ServerenaWimbledon2010.

If she could win the A0 2007 being ranked #81 and out of shaped she can win here. At least she is physically fit during this comeback.

danieln1
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:07 AM

She would get a VIP entry into the main draw :bowdown:

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Conversely she has zero points to defend for the next 11 months or so after Wimbledon.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Conversely she has zero points to defend for the next 11 months or so after Wimbledon.
Yep. It's all a matter of whether you a glass half full or half empty person.

Personally, I find the ranking conversation nearly completely irrelevant.

...Everybody remembers Australia 2007. :devil:

In The Zone
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Is it confirmed Serena will receive a protected ranking? I'd hate to see a WC wasted at the USO. If Serena loses before the SF, she'll miss the USO cutoff.

Plus, it's not a given Serena will accumulate enough points to be a seed at the USO. She may be unseeded. Her movement is very suspect and her groundstrokes do not have the typical Serena speed on them. Of course it is the rust, but how long will it take for the rust to come off?

Chunchun
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
...Everybody remembers Australia 2007. :devil:

This is so true. She can win the USO even if she is 200+ player in the world

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Her movement is very suspect and her groundstrokes do not have the typical Serena speed on them. Of course it is the rust, but how long will it take for the rust to come off?

What are you babbling about, did you watch today's match ? She's almost there...:rolleyes:

In The Zone
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:30 AM
What are you babbling about, did you watch today's match ? She's almost there...:rolleyes:

Yes I did .. I'm not sure what match you were watching.

faboozadoo15
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Playing a close match against Vera (who's probably losing to Stosur next round, who coincidentally also is not a factor) isn't the greatest barometer for slam-winning potential.

The only thing you could say with some level of confidence is that if Serena meets Vera at Wimbledon, she'd probably win. Vera's in shitty form anyway.

sluggahjells
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Playing a close match against Vera (who's probably losing to Stosur next round, who coincidentally also is not a factor) isn't the greatest barometer for slam-winning potential.

The only thing you could say with some level of confidence is that if Serena meets Vera at Wimbledon, she'd probably win. Vera's in shitty form anyway.

Vera's played well for 3.5 out of 5 sets here this week.......She was superb against Watson, and funny started to confidence being aggressive against Serena after 6-3, 5-3 down thankfully.

And yes, for Serena, it's not about who she is playing, but how she is playing. And she's playing well considering the circumstances, and how she just needed matches to feel the ball.

sluggahjells
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Yes I did .. I'm not sure what match you were watching.

To be honest, her power on her ground strokes are really there, just about the overall consistency on Serena and with her backhand in the middle of the court.

AnomyBC
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Probably?

Well it all depends on how far you think she's going to go at Wimbledon. If she wins it again, or comes close, then she'll probably be seeded at the US Open. But if she loses before the Semifinals at Wimbledon, then she probably won't be seeded at the US Open. It could easily go either way.

delicatecutter
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I thought Serena looked fine today. Her loss today had nothing to do with her form, just her lack of match-play. :shrug: People were saying she was hitting her groundies safe against Tsveti; I didn't see that match but I know she has done that in the past. Today she was hitting the ball well and effectively. She just needs to work on her stamina. Zvonaryova is one of the fittest girls around and it's hard to physically out-last her, especially in your first tournament back in almost a year.

MB.
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I will shit myself laughing if she loses in the first round.

Alejandrawrrr
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I thought Serena looked fine today. Her loss today had nothing to do with her form, just her lack of match-play. :shrug: People were saying she was hitting her groundies safe against Tsveti; I didn't see that match but I know she has done that in the past. Today she was hitting the ball well and effectively. She just needs to work on her stamina. Zvonaryova is one of the fittest girls around and it's hard to physically out-last her, especially in your first tournament back in almost a year.

Good point that a lot of people forgot to mention. Zvonareva is one of the best defenders on tour, a lot of the shots she got back would have been winners against most other players. Serena was going for it for most of the match, unlike vs Pironkova where she was literally placing the ball smack in the middle of the court with little to no pace at times. She was such a pusher in that match :lol: She at least made progress as far as playing aggressively goes.

Vincey!
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I'm really not sure about that... when Sharapova was on the comeback trail in summer 2009, she only climbed from #65 after Wimbledon to #30 when the USO came around, and that was with a strong set of results (Tier 1 final, SF and QF at other Premier events). IF Serena loses before the semis at Wimbledon and consequently falls out of the top 100, then she's looking at potentially having to win both Toronto and Cincinnatti in back-to-back weeks (winning 6 matches at each, as she won't be getting first-round byes) to get seeded at the US Open. It does get surprisingly tricky to keep leaping up the ranks once you get into the top 50, semis and quarterfinals don't get you very far when you're in that sort of range.

Don't get me wrong - she COULD do it. I'm just making the point that, if she wants to get a seeding, her usual half-arsed efforts at non-Slams and settling for a semifinal finish aren't going to cut it.

Sharapova had 2nd round to defend in Montreal that summer ( I know not alot lol) but still it's something like 60 pts? I understand your pts tho, I didn't really realise it wouldn't affect that much I remember when Kim got back she came from UNR to top 30 quite fast. I also think that Toronto gives more pts this year than in 2009 cuz it's a mandatory event...that being said it could be trickier than I had expected but it's Serena lol she'll find a way to do it. I'm thinking she'll play Stanford,the other Cali tourner, Cincy, Toronto...that of course is if she's healthy. Those are 2 premier events and 2 mandatory. That's more points to gain than the tournments Sharapova enterred in 2009.

friendsita
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Well, obviously it doesn't take a genius to figure out that, if Serena fails to defend her Wimbledon title, she's going to take a BIG tumble on the rankings. Aside from her Wimbledon points, the only points she will have on the computer is 60 from Eastbourne.

Based on THIS WEEK'S rankings, these are the positions she would be in depending on her Wimbledon result:

Winner: #23 / 2060 pts
Runner-Up: #35 / 1460 pts
Semi-Finals: #65 / 960 pts
Quarter-Finals: #123 / 560 pts
Round of 16: #175 / 340 pts
3rd Round: #249 / 220 pts
2nd Round: #313 / 160 pts
1st Round: #510 / 65 pts

LMAO!!!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmv877pDJk1qfz010o1_r1_500.gif
Really?
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmtzl2JVh11qcxh43o1_250.gif

I will shit myself laughing if she loses in the first round.

:lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Even if she wins Wimby, the upcoming draws are gonna be still very interesting :D

KBlade
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Serena's ranking will be so odd if she goes deep at Wimbledon, but doesn't win. If she reaches say the Semi-finals or the Final, it'd probably be safe to say she's returned to form and back in contention for titles, however her ranking will still drop dramatically to outside the top 50 at the very least.

bandabou
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
She will take a fall..but in the bigger picture: she's back on the courts! :bounce:

sluggahjells
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Sharapova had 2nd round to defend in Montreal that summer ( I know not alot lol) but still it's something like 60 pts? I understand your pts tho, I didn't really realise it wouldn't affect that much I remember when Kim got back she came from UNR to top 30 quite fast. I also think that Toronto gives more pts this year than in 2009 cuz it's a mandatory event...that being said it could be trickier than I had expected but it's Serena lol she'll find a way to do it. I'm thinking she'll play Stanford,the other Cali tourner, Cincy, Toronto...that of course is if she's healthy. Those are 2 premier events and 2 mandatory. That's more points to gain than the tournments Sharapova enterred in 2009.

Toronto is a mandatory event this year?

I thought both that and Cincy were still these "silly Premier 5" labeling events. Last time I saw, it was a Premier 5.

dsanders06
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Serena has now guaranteed herself a place in the top 350 :cheer: