PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the "nicknames" in the titles of match result threads - yay or nay?

pov
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I'd posted a thread before which got some posters favoring, as I do, chilling out on the nicknames in the titles of match results threads

Just to be clear, I'm not and I don't think anyone is hoping that people will stop using them within the thread and in threads that aren't match results.

With that all said - yay (chill out on the "nicknames") or nay (keep 'em coming)?

Javi.
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
We don't need another thread like this. :fiery:
We got the idea in the other threads.
Please some mod can move these threads to Bugs/Errors??
Thank you

scandic78
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I'd posted a thread before which got some posters favoring, as I do, chilling out on the nicknames in the titles of match results threads

Just to be clear, I'm not and I don't think anyone is hoping that people will stop using them within the thread and in threads that aren't match results.

With that all said - yay (chill out on the "nicknames") or nay (keep 'em coming)?

Neither. As long as the match result and the player's names are clear and the remarks are not rude or offensive then there is no harm done. If you want strict formality on this then I'm not sure you're going to find it. Give and take..

Mary Cherry.
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yay - nobody should be allowed to have any sort of fun.

Kworb
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Nicknames :worship:

The Crow
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hell yeah. Half of the time I don't even know who beat who :rolleyes:

pov
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
We don't need another thread like this. :fiery:
We got the idea in the other threads.
Please some mod can move these threads to Bugs/Errors??
Thank you
:facepalm: This is a poll. That way everyone can express their own preference. Oh . . you're welcome.

TheHangover
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
yes i particularly hate hantoxova or whatever is that nickname, i don't get it, is there a link with anorexia? really unnecessary

TrojanStallion
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
NAY- And get rid of Anotoxfa, Cake, Sarin, Sexa, Sexlana, VIP, etc... etc... etc...?

No way! Its gold!

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
yes i particularly hate hantoxova or whatever is that nickname, i don't get it, is there a link with anorexia? really unnecessary

Is this sarcasm?

Kworb
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM

mQ1J37NN-i0

15 seconds in

Raiden
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Just make sure to mention either the surname or first name (to make the thread searchable) then add whatever nickname or random slogan and it should be aight.

Good title ···> Aggy Agniezka beats Fransexy Schiavone
Bad title ···> V def. VIP

Miracle Worker
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I prefer nicknames than weird "yay" or "nay"...

Root
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Is this sarcasm?

I think they were serious.

sara636
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
mQ1J37NN-i0

15 seconds in

I guess this explains it now:haha::haha::haha:

Dave.
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I don't get the problem. It's usually pretty clear who it is and if not, it doesn't take 30 seconds to either check results for yourself from any other site or work it out for yourself.

new-york
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I don't get the problem. It's usually pretty clear who it is and if not, it doesn't take 30 seconds to either check results for yourself from any other site or work it out for yourself.

That.

And i cannot help but be disappointed when Hantuch isn't referred to as Danielle Anatoxfa. :hysteric:

mboyle
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
mQ1J37NN-i0

15 seconds in

WTA GOAT youtube video, hands down. :worship::worship::worship:

I like some of the nicknames. They're funny and keep this board quirky and fun. :) Danielle Anotoxfa will forever be the best nickname, even if it is hard for people not in the know to figure out it is Hantuchova. I mean, when you have THAT big of a blunder, how can you not take advantage of it?

perseus2006
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
BTW:

It should be YEA meaning yes, not yay meaning yippie kai yai!

C. Drone
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Just make sure to mention either the surname or first name (to make the thread searchable) then add whatever nickname or random slogan and it should be aight.

Good title ···> Aggy Agniezka beats Fransexy Schiavone
Bad title ···> V def. VIP

this.

i like some nicknames, just pain in the ass searching threads. :o

Madoka
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
i do love nicknames

hurricanejeanne
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Nicknames :worship:

AnomyBC
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I love the nicknames, but I insist that Anatoxfa be spelled like that, not Anotoxfa :)

Svetlana)))
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Keep em coming. If you just want the results you can check the WTA website.

Shonami Slam
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM
love them. how else would i know who is GOAT where?

melodynelson
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Caroline's Comedy Club wasn't a nickname, neither the other names that replaced Copenhagen, but those were among the highlights of my time here at this board.

I still don't get all of them, but they're great stuff sometimes. I approve.

gc-spurs
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Nay its hilarious and pretty clear who everyone is... if its not the OP is stupid and we should bad rep them :)

shoryuken
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:53 AM
mQ1J37NN-i0

15 seconds in

I thought it had to do with anorexia too :hysteric:

MaBaker
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I don't mind nicknames, but I hate when people put the player who lost first than the winner in the title. It's annoying and not funny.

doomsday
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM

The problem is that everyone here give his own nickname WTH. And also agree when ppl put the player who lost first than the winner in the title it's very confusing.

KapitalL
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM

The problem, for me at least, is that you can't find those threads later. I'm ok with the nicknames as long as there is a surname in the title.

Titles like Kvitygoat beat Anotoxfa or whatever are already hard to find 3 hours after the match (if it's not a popular thread) and impossible a day/week/month/year later.

Corswandt
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yay.

As other people are saying, use of outlandish nicks in thread titles make it impossible to find match result threads with the search engine later on.

melodynelson
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yay.

As other people are saying, use of outlandish nicks in thread titles make it impossible to find match result threads with the search engine later on.

Vá, não ocupas a tua vida aqui fixada com a passagem de cada thread sobre Failniacki e Boobges? Alguém tem prioridades erradas....

Combina-se um almoço para a semana, companheiro.

Corswandt
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Vá, não ocupas a tua vida aqui fixada com a passagem de cada thread sobre Failniacki e Boobges? Alguém tem prioridades erradas....

Combina-se um almoço para a semana, companheiro.

É muito por causa daquela história dos spoilers - muitas vezes tento encontrar uma thread em particular através do search engine sem abrir o GM.

Matej
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:57 AM
NAY- And get rid of Anotoxfa, Cake, Sarin, Sexa, Sexlana, VIP, etc... etc... etc...?

No way! Its gold!

Apart from Sarin, all those nicknames are actually horrible and annoying as hell. How anyone can find them "funny" is completely beyond me and incomprehensible.

melodynelson
Jun 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
É muito por causa daquela história dos spoilers - muitas vezes tento encontrar uma thread em particular através do search engine sem abrir o GM.

Claro, torna-se difícil assim, mas já digo que não há nada interessante suficiente para spoil qq coisa nos torneios femininos (bem, nem masculinos). Mas apanho o sentido.

melodynelson
Jun 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Apart from Sarin, all those nicknames are actually horrible and annoying as hell. How anyone can find them "funny" is completely beyond me and incomprehensible.

KvittyClayGOAT/KvittySlamGOAT and any such variant is gold too.

USTennisfan
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Although we all may have our favorites, and have our "cute" names for(or against) them, they shouldn't be used to post the official results of the match. If you are going to be the "official match score post", (and we know the monitors at times get mulitple users reporting and have the power to combine them into one "official" post then be professional and use the real names. Other users that don't understand who you are talking about will appreciate your fast reporting of the result. And we thank you for the postings.

Now when you do a post on one of your favorites for any other reason, and want to use a "cute" name, then please feel free to do so. Personally it's anoying to me to try to figure out who you are talking about when I'm looking at the results in the General forum. We all don't share in the knowledge of "who" you are even talking about in the header, because we sometimes don't "get" the joke you are trying to make.

Setsuna.
Jun 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I don't mind them at all.

duhcity
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I agree with the search thing. There should at least be the real surname of each player somewhere in there.

Effy
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
i don't give a flying fuck.

Sean.
Jun 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
When it's not actually possible to tell who the players are it's gone to far.

JCTennisFan
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I agree personally. This board is known to cheerlead a bit, and when we start titling threads with names like "Anotofxa" its gonna make people wonder wtf the person is talking about. Ive never figured the whole making odd nicknames for people anyways, but mabye I dont have enough free time on my hands? :shrug:

DragonFlame
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I like the nicknames just fine. :)

SVK
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Next time I will make a result thread, I will post some stupid and pathetic nicknames (like Anotoxfa...) just to see GM posters going mad.