PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne R2: (1) Vera Zvonareva def WC/Wimbledon SEED 7 Serena Williams 3-6 7-6 7-5

danieln1
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Great match!

Vera almost choked from 5-2 to 5-5, but then somehow close it out...

Jill Craybas next to richard :haha:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Really proud of Serena for fighting out there for 2 days in a row, especially given the state that her lungs were in a couple of months ago. Also proud of her for stretching the #3 to 3 sets in only her 2nd match after her injury. A lot of positives from this!

VIKA?
oh Serena:tears:

Sassy-Na
oh god. i thought u'd win in 2, serena. :hug:

Mightymirza
Sarin is back though.. Watch out wimbledon..

Svetlana)))
Strategic tank. On to Wimbledon.

doomsday
Serena fought very well, should have won in straights but collapsed physically. See you in Wimbledon.

Serenus Christ
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmprgxohPo1qikm97o1_500.gif

she'll win wimbledon

eck
Serena :sad:
The way how she saved the second MP was amazing. :cheer:

emotion
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva. I still cannot believe it.

Six Feet Under
Just epic.

Summed up all the best drama of the WTA.

BuTtErFrEnA
she had it...but nerves got to her....well fought in the end...

:worship: you'll be back once the game is sorted

TheHangover
thank god

champion88
6-3 *5-3 :(

Ah well, much better today than yesterday. Hopefully she can peak for Wimbledon

rrfnpump
well done, Vera :yeah:
took her chances when Serena was serving for the match!

Proud of her :hug:
now she will lose to Stosur, off course.

Antoshka
hilarious match :devil:

saul1333
Good stuff :yeah:

sara636
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Despite the results, it was a good match for serena.

Mr.Sharapova
Tough Match. A well fought match from both. I'm really impressed by Vera though. Two points away from loosing and she made it through :yeah:.

Serena :hug:. Good luck at Wimbledon :angel:.

benbest
if Serena was tired now then I don't see much chance in her taking the Wimbledon title

kwilliams
Well done, Vera. Good luck at Wimbledon, Serena!

Marionated
The point at 3-6 4-5* 30-15 was crucial. It took a lot out of Serena.

Enjoyable match overall.

wta_journeywoman
Serena playing really inconsistent and Bepa still struggles to serve it out 2 times. :haha:

With some more practise Serena is ready to win Wimbledon. :D

cypher_88
:woohoo: good job Vera (well...sorta :P )

Geertvg
Fun match! Great for Vera's mental strength she managed to beat Serena, sth a lot of players have never done. Great result for Serena too, she knows she's up there already, and now has a few days to get fully ready for Wimbledon.

But I'm really happy for Vera!

WowWow
Seriously!?!

Alizé Molik
Vera was lucky to get it but she lifted her game at the end of the second set and Ree's fitness is still not 100%

danieln1
59 winners for Serena, 46 UE

BartoLiNa
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Too inconsistent from Ree. Not bad for first tournament back :hug:

Grats Vera :yeah:

DefyingGravity
This was so much more entertaining than the last 6 months, haha.

Shivank17
Vera!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo:

Rena :hug:

Mistress of Evil
Tankrena :awww: she just decided to do some charity :hug:

melodynelson
Watch Vera lose to Stosur now.

I thought, considering Serena's physical limitations, she played a fantastic match. For nearly the entire match I was so surprised at how...for lack of a better word, useless, Vera's game is on this surface. Yet she was able to defeat the two time defending Wimbledon champion on grass. Her level picked up, and Serena looked lost most of the third, yet still pushed it to 75, being down 25 and saving MPs. Great fight.

Anyone have a gif of Serena's face after saving the second MP with the BH DTL? That was great.

Gilas.
Shows why WTA needs Serena. Such epicness! :kiss: And now she'll win Wimbledon of course :cheer:

Imperfect Angel
Serena :hug: Done everything she was planning to do in this match. Lead, comeback, tank etc.:lol:

Bepa :cheer: I think you'll lose early in Wimbledon this time.:lol:

Level55
Vera showed great fight.
A couple of years ago there is no way she would come back from 6-3 5-3 to win the match. She still choked a couple of times, but ultimately played well :)

Great fight from Serena though and a match like that will have been good for her.

homogenius
good match
Great effort from Serena given the circumstances.Vera was quite bad in the first half of the match before raising her game.Choked a bit at the end but did well overall, especially with all the bad calls she got (:o)

Maria Croft
Not good enough on those important moments, a little too rusty and tentative. Knowing Serena she could easily go on and win Wimbledon though.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Well done Vera :hearts::hearts::hearts: I think I even stopped hating you so badly after this match :sobbing:
I'm really glad that she kept her composure after she got clearly cheated, that ball WAS on the line as shown in the review :rolleyes:

L'Enfant Sauvage
6-3 5-3 2 points from the match :facepalm: She REALLY needs to work on her serve.

Noctis
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Looks like Serena will be there at Wimbledon. The week been great those mps :tape:

Irute
Congrats to Serena for a great start after extended absence :yeah:
Congrats to Vera for 1. winning the match and 2. for winning over her own fear :yeah:

kejm
Serena :tears:

Annie.
Zvonereva was lucky.

That is all.

ampers&
Welcome back anyways Serena. :hearts:

The fact I care about this sport again is a miracle and it's all because of you. Good luck at Wimby!!

JN
Great match, ladies! Congrats Vera! Great fight, Serena. Kill 'em @ Wimbledon!

PatrickRyan
oh well this was expected. Congrats to Serena for playing tough against the number 1 seed after a year long absence! :hearts:

shirley
Great match. Enjoyed it.

Paldias
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
To be expected. Serena looked exhausted. I'm sure she'll do some soul-searching and figure it out at Wimbledon. It's also important to note that she will have days off after each of her matches at Wimbledon and that will definitely be a factor. This was a great decision for her to play at Eastbourne, she has gotten about 5 hours of court time and it'll help whip in her shape.

Lucemferre
That game at 6-3 6-7 4-5 was :hearts: But too soon to win a 3+ hour match.

Disgraceful surface and balls.Too damn slow. Grass is slower than clay these days:rolleyes:

BartoliBabes
what a match!!! serena got what she needed here i think... watch out SW19!!

Setsuna.
Bepa:facepalm:
At least you won.

.Andrew.
She'll be back.

Congrats to Vera. :hug:

Oermi
nooo Serena :tears: great fight, though :)

duhcity
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
if Serena was tired now then I don't see much chance in her taking the Wimbledon title

Agreed.

She looked very tired when she was up 5-3 and 5-4 in the second. I'd be surprised if she won Wimbledon. She needs more match play. Her ground game is there though. Some nice BH to BH exchanges in the match. Just has to move the feet.

TheEmpress
What a match :drool:

Great match from Vera, but I think it's scary to see how Serena is better than everyone even without serve, and fitness.

Vera will go deep in Wimbly anyway :lick:

madmax
Bad match from Vera and disgusting line calls too...she picked up her level a bit in the second set and that was enough to overcome cheating chair umpire and line judges too

cypher_88
Zvonereva was lucky.

That is all.

indeed. those pesky lucky shots :drool:

Jane Lane
Davai Bepa! :cheer::cheer::woohoo:
I wanted to jump out a window for most of this. So mentally tough to hang in there; usually Bepa would just implode!

So proud :sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

....But seriously until 36 35 I wanted to kill you. :)

tennis-insomniac
Serena played great, so did Vera.

Great match :yeah:

gennius
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Vera Zvanoreva winner!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHH

tim2502
Serena,we need you. :hearts:
Nicely done ,Bepa.:)

TheBoiledEgg
Bepa got the Win :banana:

Raiden
Somebody should slap Bepa

She had bazillion chances to close out the match earlier in both her and Reena's service games but she Lebroned.

One could literally FEEL her that she's going to choke the coming point (when rallying her little half-whispering grunt starts getting louder and louder with every next stroke)

BepaMaria
I'm so proud of my Zvonareva. Never thought I'd see this day where she would outlast Serena physically and mentally:yeah:. Still, Serena showed flashes of her former self in this match and I reckon that she will be a huge factor at Wimby.

Ballbasher
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Serena. :hug: She is back and tennis becomes more exciting again. :inlove: Kudos to Vera for what I thought was a good match most of the time. :D

I believe that was exactly what she needed. Match practice against a consistent hitter to see what she has to work on and enough time to prepare Wimbledon!

Craigy
Well done to Vera.

So proud of Serena. To come back and play some really good tennis so soon after a year out is amazing. I'm sure she'll keep working hard and come back stronger. Lovely to have her back! :D

Vodkapova
Such a good and fierce fight to get back to 5-5 but then the service game was the most pathetic I have ever seen. Still, she's going in the right direction. Rest up, Serena. :hug: I hope you're gonna do well next week in London! Happy happy to have you back. And solid play from Bepa. :)

I'm loving Eastbourne so far. Lots of interesting matches this week. Another one going on is Na playing Hantuchova, I hear they're both playing well. Eastbourne. :hearts: And possibly Venus vs Na tomorrow. :hearts:

amc987
How much do you think Serena wants to see Vera in her draw at Wimbledon?

I'm guessing the next couple of times Zvonareva plays Serena, she won't win a set. Serena will have motivation like she only does playing against Sharapova and Justine Henin.:lol:

Welcome back, SERENA!!! We missed you. Good luck at Wimbledon!:cool:

Renalicious
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
That was such a fun match to watch. That game to break back for 5-4 was seriously funnier than a comedy movie. :haha:

Good job Vera. :worship: Serena :kiss: Love you girl.

homogenius

she'll have a day of rest between matches and it usually helps her a lot in slams.I don't think she'll win the title but she could have a good run

Larrybidd
Good test for Serena. She ran out of gas serving for the second set. A grans slam schedule (playing every other day, instead of every day) will help her play into the tournament. It's on.

QueenBee
Vera :bowdown:

Serena :hug: don't worry, real goal is Wimbledon

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva.Serena Williams choked to Vera Zvonereva. I still cannot believe it.

LOL, okay :lol:

Someone was waiting to say that all match long it appears. How sad you are.

SerenaClijsters
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Congratulations Vera, her mental strength has really improved by bounds since before last year. :worship:

Rena....what was that, you could have closed the match out in straights :o but credit to Vera for taking her chances.

Anyway, great match and lots of positives to be taken away from this match. Her groundstrokes were pretty good, in fact better than her first match, what was with netting the putaway shots though? I'm sure Rena will relish the fact she got to take on the World No.3 and take her to 3 sets on her second match and get match practice to get ready for Wimbledon. Get some rest and get that GOAT serve back :drool:

See you at Wimbledon, Rena! :bounce:

swim4life227
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Vera was lucky to get it but she lifted her game at the end of the second set and Ree's fitness is still not 100%

:lol: Her fitness is just fine. Doesn't take a rocket science to see she was stacked. What isn't 100% is her serve. In the early stages of the matches she was content to float it in. Then she made a few big ones and then she was misfiring. Her and Venus seem to have opposite problems. Venus' serve is in check but her groundies and movement are patchy. Serena's serve is touch and go and her movement and groundies are solid.

It was funny seeing how emotional and tight Vera was getting and Serena looked content to lose all throughout the 3rd set. I think she was just content to take big cuts, go big, and see what happens. Probably wasn't to her advantage to continue on the tournament after it went 3 sets.

Never before though have I felt the loser of the match actually gained more than the winner....in the big picture.

If Serena does go on to make a run at Wimbledon, everyone can thank Vera for giving her one hell of a 3 hour warm up.

Serenita
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
See u at Wimby Serena.:hearts::kiss:

Lulu.
Serena really should of wrapped this up in straight sets. :o
But still a good tournament. See you where it matters, Wimbledon. :yeah:

sluggahjells

She had bazillion chances to close out the match earlier in both her and Reena's service games but she Lebroned.

One could literally FEEL her that she's going to choke the coming point (when rallying her little half-whispering grunt starts getting louder and louder with every next stroke)

Serena won all those three match points on great winners.

Stop slamming Vera, geesh.

friendsita
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Serena totally chocked...
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmu8dcIQbY1qcxh43o1_500.gif

I was hoping for her to tank earlier... anyway she needs some runs, get fitter and she'll be ready for Wimbledon. And by ready I mean win the whole thing.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmu8i1nLye1qcxh43o1_250.gif

*remembers AO 07*

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Good test for Serena. She ran out of gas serving for the second set. A grans slam schedule (playing every other day, instead of every day) will help her play into the tournament. It's on.

it's exactly what happened at AO 07...that day off helped tremendously

Bounty Hunter
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM

:lol: @ Lebroned... classic!!

pav
I was preparing to go to bed any time at the later stages of the 2nd set Serena can only get better with a bit more play,at least Bepa finally served it out, hard against Serena though, even allowing for Bepachoking. Had to laugh when Bepa complained about that last bad call the ball was on the line but Bepa yelled out it was inside the line:)
Bepa had some nice words about Rena in the aftermatch.

Specter
All that choking is bad for my heart.

Still, great job, Bepa!

Bronx19
Shocking match from Vera, no game plan at all, terrible choking.

She will never beat Serena again.

LUXXXAS
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
great match :yeah:

2moretogo
Wish I could have watched the match, but reading the tweets and other commentary was sooo exciting. Serena fought hard and I am proud of her. Of course I wish she would have closed it out in the 2nd, but c'est la vie. I think that this was a good test for Serena as far as where her game is/ what she can expect. Wimby should be interesting.

Vera darling I have to say that I was happy that you were able to keep it together at the end, but having so much difficulty closing out an exhausted, though highly motivated champion, SHOULD help you turn a corner. Overrall good win.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Serena won all those three match points on great winners.

Stop slamming Vera, geesh.

One of them was a tiny out from Zvonareva, the other one stupid dropshot attempt ended by a winner from Serena, the third one, indeed a great winner from SW.

Mightymirza
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sarina is ready for the players party :lol:

SELVEN
Vera :yeah:

sluggahjells
Serena really should of wrapped this up in straight sets. :o
But still a good tournament. See you where it matters, Wimbledon. :yeah:

She got more sets, LOL, with that, and showed how she is still the best ever in clutch points when her back is against the wall.

Serenita
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
;)

hankqq
Well Serena played well to get herself in a position to win the match :) Then she got tight lol but you can't fault her at this point in the comeback. She got tired in the 3rd set before finding a 2nd wind but it wasn't enough. I'm sure she'll be ready to go at Wimbledon :)

olympus28
She is ready for Wimbledon :devil:

Level55
Bepa had some nice words about Rena in the aftermatch.

She is a sweetheart, I think she really respects Serena.

friendsita
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Sarina is ready for the players party :lol:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmu8r6zdeh1qcxh43o1_250.gif

doomsday
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
sluggwhatever mode ON : Serena is done and we saw she couldn't compete with the very best anymore, there was clearly a lack of believe in her heart.:lol:

Bounty Hunter
Congrats to Vera...

Good job, Serena!! Could have won in straights, but that's OK.. Vera is playing well and it's your frist tourney back after a year.. so on to Wimby and I hope you do well there.

AcesHigh
Serena showed she can take on one of the best players in the world. I don't think there are any negatives here. The fitness will come

Betty
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Vera, you play so good :smooch: :happy: Wat a cheater that umpire :no:

fouc
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Serena is a choker now? :unsure:

pov
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
A good match. Zvonareva lifted her game in the 2nd set. Williams looks good for her second match back. Moving relatively well and that serve is such a strength.

Kudos to Zvonareva on the win. :yeah:

Olórin
Good for the game. Such a dramatic match.

it-girl
Serena showed she can take on one of the best players in the world. I don't think there are any negatives here. The fitness will comeThis

madmax
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:42 PM
sluggwhatever mode ON : Serena is done and we saw she couldn't compete with the very best anymore, there was clearly a lack of believe in her heart.:lol:

I'm PRETTY sure if Maria choked the similar match away he wouldn't let it go forever...what a hypocritical tool:lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
That was a great match to watch. Serena getting tight at 63 53, then getting tired in the third set. I guess she's not "match fit" yet. That will surely improve with some more tournaments this summer :)

:bigclap: That 2nd match point was amazing :worship: One of the best points of the year in my opinion.

SerenaClijsters
This is probably the first time I'm so happy after a Serena loss. It was too high of an expectation to expect Serena to beat Vera on her second match back, but I believe Serena will be able to get ready in time for Wimbledon, seeing her being able to even play a tennis match is good enough already.

Come on Rena!

Apoleb
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Serena didn't get tight. Zvonareva literally had nothing on her shots, even by her usual standards where she also has nothing. Then she suddendly woke up at 3-5 second set, and put a lot of pressure on Serena's service game. She was killing her with the shot to the backhand corner in the rallies, and Serena really has a hard time to recover from shots to the backhand corner, and that's been her weakness for the last 5 years or something.

Of course it was all possible because Sarin's serve didn't show up.

Ntosake
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
:lol: Her fitness is just fine. Doesn't take a rocket science to see she was stacked. What isn't 100% is her serve. In the early stages of the matches she was content to float it in. Then she made a few big ones and then she was misfiring. Her and Venus seem to have opposite problems. Venus' serve is in check but her groundies and movement are patchy. Serena's serve is touch and go and her movement and groundies are solid.

It was funny seeing how emotional and tight Vera was getting and Serena looked content to lose all throughout the 3rd set. I think she was just content to take big cuts, go big, and see what happens. Probably wasn't to her advantage to continue on the tournament after it went 3 sets.

Never before though have I felt the loser of the match actually gained more than the winner....in the big picture.If Serena does go on to make a run at Wimbledon, everyone can thank Vera for giving her one hell of a 3 hour warm up.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part.
Congrats to Vera on the win, but Serena benefited as well.
Good luck next round, Vera!

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Serena is not the one who likes to win Copenhagens and Brusselles... She likes to win the big ones so see you next week babe! :drool:

akephon35695
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Glad Vera improve massive on her mental side as Rena never give up.
Rena almost get her for such a long break.For me rena still one to watch next 2 weeks.

Pump-it-UP
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
That game at 5-4 in the 3rd set was the most life I've gotten from a tennis match since Kim/Ana in Miami Serena/Vika in Australia last year. :worship:

Still so proud of her, really don't even care that she lost. Kinda glad she didn't finish it 6-3 6-3 too. This type of match will help her a lot for the next 2 weeks. :yeah:

danieln1
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Where was the last time Serena won a warm up tournament in a week before a slam?? I don´t think she ever did...

She´ll peak in the second week of WIMBLEDON

Summer_Snow
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Great match. Love the drama.

Papi
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Rest up for Wimbledon and enjoy the player party in your Burberry dress Serena!
Congrats Vera!

kman
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I bet all the pundits were gearing up for a BIG ROUND OF "lol WTA is such a joke, Serena can come back after injury and beat number one seed, lol lol lol" etc.

Nice to see they were stopped in their tracks by miss Zvonareva.

gmak
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
what drama :eek:

Bepa :yeah: :D :) she held it together, when a few DFs and bad calls seemed to get on her mind
Serena :worship: :scared: even a year out of tennis and she's still SO tough to put away

shovi
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Nuevo artículo: Zvonareva elimina a Serena Williams en Eastbourne

www.wta10is.com

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I dont know what to make of this mess of a match.
I know they both have a lot of points coming off, and I doubt either of them is very confident right now.

But that's what major are for

Anabelcroft
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Zvonereva was lucky.

That is all.

You always make your luck!

miffedmax
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
At least when Rena tanked for Lena, it was in finals. :p

Daszmarelli
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
59 winners for Serena, 46 UE

And about Vera?

bandabou
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Not bad for a first tournament. Shows why the tour needs Serena. She can produce great matches against almost anybody.

Not too dissapointed. Serena gave a good accounting of herself..and knows what to work on before Wimbledon starts.

John.
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Congrats Vera - GL in the QF

It's great to have Serena back - GL at Wimbldeon :yeah:

Matt01
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Vera :yeah: :worship:

kman
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Not bad for a first tournament. Shows why the tour needs Serena. She can produce great matches against almost anybody.

Yea, let's forget about Pironkova and Zvonareva. Serena produced those matches!

vwfan
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM
my, my, my. . .who would have thunk it. Vera stopped crying long enough to close the deal.

on to the practice courts Serena.

starin
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
:worship:
Even though Zvonareva is a slumping atm this is a really good result for Serena so early in her comeback.

bandabou
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM

:lol: Of course. Bravo to the Piro and Vera too.

Well..can you recall the last match of Caro that was this interesting?!

bandabou
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM

bandabou
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Slutiana
Jun 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Serena is a choker now? :unsure:
She hasn't have any match practice for 12 months. Stop trolling.
I dont know what to make of this mess of a match.
I know they both have a lot of points coming off, and I doubt either of them is very confident right now.

But that's what major are for
:happy: This match was far better than anything your precious Karolina has produced.

dsanders06
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Great match. Zvonareva's mental strength has really come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. :yeah:

Obviously, it's an extremely impressive effort for Serena for her second match back... BUT I still don't see her going beyond the 4th round at Wimbledon. Quite apart from stamina/confidence issues, I'm still not convinced her game is at the required level yet. It's relatively easy for her to look good against Zvonareva, because Zvonareva is an EXCELLENT match-up for her - they both have similar game styles these days - point construction, more subtle aggression than the out-and-out ballbashers, not especially hard-hitting, employing angles - but Serena just plays it better. But if she comes up against a better aggressive ballstriker or a better defender (and there a few of each), that would be a much tougher test. It's the US Open where I expect her to become a major contender again.

Vincey!
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm not surprised Serena lost that match, jsut a bit surprised that she was ahead in the 2nd set and couldn,t close it out and that after coming back in the 3rd she got easily broken. That being said I don't think this would have happened at Wimbledon.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Pretty impressive scoreline from Serena considering that this was just her 2nd match back. She certainly surpassed my expectations of her this week. With several days to go before Wimbledon starts I would say Eastbourne doesn't leave us any clearer about what we can expect from Serena at Wimbledon. It would still seem possible Serena could end up losing early next week but likewise there is no way one could rule out that in two and a half weeks Serena could be lifting the Wimbledon trophy either. It does make for an intriguing tournament.

For sure I do think if Serena can get to the Wimby quarterfinals now she is going to be tough to stop. But whether or not she is able to get to the quarterfinals is something we will only know when we get the that stage.

As for Vera, she definately has gotten much tougher mentally in the last couple of years and anyone who hasn't noticed that simply hasn't been paying attention.

NJ88
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Definatly not a negative for Serena, that was exactly the type of match she needed. Having not played competetive tennis for about a year I didn't really expect her to come out and win straight off the bat, however I do think she's a big threat for Wimbledon. She just needs matches, and her performance in this one shouldn't be a bad thing because she looked pretty great, moving well, serve looking a bit better, shots looking better on a whole. She just needs match practise, and being seeded 7th next week means she could get some good match practise against winnable opponents. I still think she could win Wimbleodn again.

Queenpova
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::b ounce::worship:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Unbelievable really. Only months ago she was almost death and now in her first tournament back she comes as close as close can get to beating the number three ranked player in the world. Fan or no fan (and I belong to that second group) - every honest man, woman or child has to admit that this is impressive stuff. :worship:

Apoleb
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
She hasn't have any match practice for 12 months. Stop trolling.

I don't even think match practice was an issue here. She fought so hard in that second set and no player can match her on the tour in terms of match toughness... yes, even after a year out. Yesterday, she had no serve up until 0-30 while serving for the set.. hit 2 consecutive aces, and 2 other big serves. Talk about being an immense competitor!

Her game isn't there yet, but she made 190% of it in these last 2 days. The other players should be scared just based on how hungry and determined she looks.

Anyway, I've seen her play MUCH worse in the early rounds of Wimbledon and still managed to win it. The question is if she can find the serve.

The Dawntreader
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't even think match practice was an issue here. She fought so hard in that second set and no player can match her on the tour in terms of match toughness... yes, even after a year out. Yesterday, she had no serve up until 0-30 while serving for the set.. hit 2 consecutive aces, and 2 other big serves. Talk about being an immense competitor!

Her game isn't there yet, but she made 190% of it in these last 2 days. The other players should be scared just based on how hungry and determined she looks.

Anyway, I've seen her play MUCH worse in the early rounds of Wimbledon and still managed to win it. The question is if she can find the serve.

I think this pretty much sums it up. The increased level of performance in just TWO matches in a year, is a very ominous sign. Like you said, the eagerness and the instincts were amazingly attuned for someone with such a lengthy absence behind them. Her game was understandably erratic, but i was still often surprised and enthralled by the brand of tennis she was able to produce intermittently. In the short term, obviously it wasn't enough today, but it's essential for the long-term. Eastbourne was a pretty good platform in which to project from, and it's not as though she was barely able to play tennis this week. Anything but.

The serve is a bit of a conundrum for me. I don't know whether she's preserving her body by not serving so monstrously, or whether she's actually still searching for that strength and timing that is the core of her serve. As superlative a competitor she is, she can't win Wimbledon handicapped by having no serve. The footwork, timing can be rectified more easily, but the serve is the link for her success.

Great to have her back nonetheless.

The Witch-king
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I thought Serena played much better than the first round. Some signs of life there! I'm optimistic. :)

oomph
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Really proud of Serena for fighting out there for 2 days in a row, especially given the state that her lungs were in a couple of months ago. Also proud of her for stretching the #3 to 3 sets in only her 2nd match after her injury. A lot of positives from this!

:spit:

Haha, the excuses are cropping up already.

If you guys wouldn't acvt as if she's a Wimbledon fav, I wouldn't mock you for this.

new-york
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
2nd match in A YEAR and she has Vera on the ropes. :worship:

Watch out. :scared:

Still well done to Vera for taking it. :worship:

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Unbelievable really. Only months ago she was almost death and now in her first tournament back she comes as close as close can get to beating the number three ranked player in the world. Fan or no fan (and I belong to that second group) - every honest man, woman or child has to admit that this is impressive stuff. :worship:

Perfect perspective.

Apoleb
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I think this pretty much sums it up. The increased level of performance in just TWO matches in a year, is a very ominous sign. Like you said, the eagerness and the instincts were amazingly attuned for someone with such a lengthy absence behind them. Her game was understandably erratic, but i was still often surprised and enthralled by the brand of tennis she was able to produce intermittently. In the short term, obviously it wasn't enough today, but it's essential for the long-term. Eastbourne was a pretty good platform in which to project from, and it's not as though she was barely able to play tennis this week. Anything but.

The serve is a bit of a conundrum for me. I don't know whether she's preserving her body by not serving so monstrously, or whether she's actually still searching for that strength and timing that is the core of her serve. As superlative a competitor she is, she can't win Wimbledon handicapped by having no serve. The footwork, timing can be rectified more easily, but the serve is the link for her success.

Great to have her back nonetheless.

I think I'm going to try and root for her this Wimbledon. :oh: This is the worst tennis time of the season as rooting against the WS at Wimbly always brings so much heartache.

But anyway, I'm watching the third set now, and there's some highly impressive stuff. She's trying to bring in some variety, and hit some pretty nice slices, volleys and even S&V. I'm starting to think that this lay off has made her think about her talent and how easily it can go all wrong and the importance of making the most out of the time she's still left with on the tour.

moby
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Let me guess what happened.

Serena reached 6-3 5-3, knew that she was going to win, and decided that she had enough match play going into the first week of Wimbledon, where she will shake off the final bits of rust heading into the business end of the tournament.

serenafann
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Good try Serena,good luck at Wimbledon.

Mixal
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Drama is certainly back on the courts with Serena. Considering the circumstances, fantastic performace, I was really impressed with her footwork and defense. Seve and groundstrokes are not there yet, but it's all much better than yesterday.

I wish she played just one more match, I think she needed that. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised, but I still have no clue what to expect in Wimbledon.

Vera was pathetic for almost two sets & Serena was reading her game very well. Later on she improved, but still a mediocre performance at best from her.

:worship: for Serena & :yeah: for Vera taking it

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM

That sums it up really.

We are just proud of her for showing so much heart despite of what she has been through.

If you guys wouldn't act as if she's a Wimbledon fav, I wouldn't mock you for this.

Good for you :shrug: Couldn't care less either way.

sluggahjells
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM

:lol::lol:

Even in your heart and mind, you don't believe that statement, especially after those three match points she saved by winners.

I know, you wish your favorite could do that, but sigh, she sadly can't because she's not that strong mentally to do so. :lol::lol:

terjw
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Well done Vera. She certainly got the worst of the luck. With those netcords by Serena that went over and then on a really important point - that out call coerrcted to in by the LJ but unbelievably overruled and called out by the chair umpire. That would have been enough for Vera to have lost the plot in the old days. But she held it together after Serena had got back to 5-5 in the last set.

At that point and also when Serena was serving for the match in the 2nd set - I thought it was all over for her. But well done Vera.

oomph
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
That sums it up really.

We are just proud of her for showing so much heart despite of what she has been through.

Good for you :shrug: Couldn't care less either way.

Step.

Just Do It
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM

:awww:

sluggahjells
Step.

:wavey: You mad :fiery: because Serena is better than your favorite?

Petty, LOL :lol:

Break My Rapture
She is so winning Wimbledon. :lol: Either her or Venus.

Sonja1989
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Serena wins Wimby but she needs quite easy opponents in first two round there.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:08 PM
This is odd... No shade to Vera at all, but Serena did tank once it got to the third. Then, inexplicably, she actually started fighting back, maybe when she saw that Vera was starting to beat herself. Sadly at 5-5 with no serve, she was powerless. The whole match I was kicking myself, thinking "the REAL Serena would have ate that!" But whatever, my only concern is that she work on her serve. All the fight in the world is meaningless if your serve is a liability the way it's been so far.

BartoLiNa
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM

If you guys wouldn't acvt as if she's a Wimbledon fav, I wouldn't mock you for this.

Are you stupid? She's been out for 12 months :rolleyes:

missvarsha
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have to say that back in 2007 (four years, so long !) I truly didn't believe Serena could come out of the blue after so many months/years off and win again.
Why ? Well because I only had the experience of past athletes to go upon - usually when a pro athlete gets forced out due to injury for months/over years their career typically never regains momentum (as the most recent example see, Sharapova).

Now the fact that Serena came back and doubled her previous accomplishments (in terms of GS) is truly a testament to both her outstanding will and mental strength, and the fact that she really isn't a run-of-the-mill person - she truly is one in a million.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that until proven otherwise, she is still my favorite to win at the big W.

TheHangover
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
serene at her second match did very well to stay on court 3 hours, she is the favourite (with venus an schiavone :lol:) for wimbledon

darkboy
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
A day of joy for haters. "yay Serena is done".

Get ready ;)

Steff_forever
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Well done Vera. She certainly got the worst of the luck. With those netcords by Serena that went over and then on a really important point - that out call coerrcted to in by the LJ but unbelievably overruled and called out by the chair umpire. That would have been enough for Vera to have lost the plot in the old days. But she held it together after Serena had got back to 5-5 in the last set.

At that point and also when Serena was serving for the match in the 2nd set - I thought it was all over for her. But well done Vera.
so true.

well done Vera !!!:smooch: :bowdown: :smooch:

Apoleb
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
This is odd... No shade to Vera at all, but Serena did tank once it got to the third. Then, inexplicably, she actually started fighting back, maybe when she saw that Vera was starting to beat herself. Sadly at 5-5 with no serve, she was powerless. The whole match I was kicking myself, thinking "the REAL Serena would have ate that!" But whatever, my only concern is that she work on her serve. All the fight in the world is meaningless if your serve is a liability the way it's been so far.

She was literally playing her in the third set. I think at 2-5, she said OK let's now test my fighting back qualities and try to get it back at 5-5. She was almost enjoying herself with all the experimenting.

terceira
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
well done Bepa :woohoo:

MB.
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM

The match went on for like 3:15. Expected.

Great match, overall. Mental roles were reversed--Serena was up 63 53, then lost in three close sets (would have normally expected Vera to be in that position).

Both looked great, and Vera was playing some pretty good grass tennis at time, really getting aggressive with the FH. It was nice to see.

I have to give props to Serena. 28 years old (or is it 29?), injured and absent for a year, and comes back and plays like that against the world #3 in her 2nd match back? Respectable. Very respectable.

From what I've seen, it's going to take a lot to knock out Serena at Wimbledon (Kvitova, or a "hot" ballbasher.)

Good luck next round, and well done, Vera!

pav
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
If Bepa lose to Sam next, she will no doubt have strategically tanked

sweetpeas
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Serena take care of your lungs! tHIS IS SERIOUS STUFFS.

Stonerpova
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I know she's been out forever, but when was the last match Serena lost after serving for it?

carling
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Well done, Serena! Although she's still a bit rusty, Serena competed well. She just needs more matches. Watch out Wimbledon! Here comes Serena!

bandabou
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
That backhand winner to save the second mp! :worship: Is exactly the reason why she's won so many majors. NO fear whatsoever!

JAS_
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Bepa :bounce::yippee:
Saved the WTA :worship:
Literally.

Wintermute
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
:bounce: Well done Vera! I caught some highlights of the match. Nice to see some mental strength pulling her through that, especially with a couple of dodgy line calls against her.

And really good to see Serena back and already looking like a threat. This definitely spices things up for Wimbledon. Just what is required.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I know she's been out forever, but when was the last match Serena lost after serving for it?

RG 2010 QF loss to Stosur? I think...

Craig.
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Ouch :sad:

ce
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
LOL
She will win Wimbledon, 6 sets is more than enough :yawn:

Comebacksova
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Shit I stopped watching at 6-3, 5-3 :o :sobbing:

The Witch-king
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
That backhand winner to save the second mp! :worship: Is exactly the reason why she's won so many majors. NO fear whatsoever!
She seemed surprised that she made it :lol:

RG 2010 QF loss to Stosur? I think...
Pretty sure she didn't serve for that match. Stosur did serve for it in the second set, thoggh.

Cakeisgood
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Strategic tank :lol:

She never plays SW19 warmups: Reeyonce is ready to kick some ass.

LightWarrior
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
LOL at all the "well done Vera". Show a little bit of restraint...Mind you guys, had it been Wimbledon Serena would probably have won in straight sets. If not in 3.
Looks like Serena decided to go for a tank in the 3rd set up until 0/3. Then she realized how mentally fragile the girl is, so changed her mind. But it was a bit too late.
That's not the point anyway, Serena had a good 2-day practice, playing 6 sets and looking healthy. She far exceeded my expectations.
Which makes her and Venus clear favourites for Wimbledon (with an edge for Venus).

BlameSerena
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Wow, I had no faith yesterday that Serena was going to win this. The fact that she won the first set handily and served for the match and saved MPS is something I cannot compute.

Anyways, congrats to Vera. Many are soaring at how entertaining of a match this was. As for Serena, if she draws Vera at Wimbly, revenge will be sweet. Serena looks pretty good. She's not at her best but her movement is good and if her serve straightens out and if she is up for gutting it out, then the world IS HERS...She may let you live. The world is hers!

Miracle Worker
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Serena tanked even earlier than I expected. I thought she tanked in QF...

JAS_
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Serena tanked? Of course. :rolleyes:
She never loses regularly, does she?
It's always either:
1. tank,
or
2. injustice,
or
3. injury.

serenafan08
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
In reading the postmatch comments on ESPN.com it seemed like Serena was real upbeat after the match. She has been out for a year after all...what did we expect? For her to already be challenging the top players is a great sign. The heart and fight is still there - that will carry her over the top the more she plays. Great win for Vera.

BlameSerena
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM

:drool: highlights?

cn ireland
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Really good effort from Serena after such a long absence:).

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Great effort Serena.

So glad I saw her play on Tuesday too. Good luck at Wimbledon!

bbjpa
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
вера was awful in first set :help: , no need to be named Williams to have win it,

Choke fest after the end of second set :lol:

Destiny
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM
:hug:

RenaSlam.
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Didn't expect Serena to even win a set, let alone almost win the match.

She'll be a threat at Wimbledon for sure.

Congrats, Vera. :lol:

Viennalover
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, so she still can play tennis.:worship:

edificio
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Can't believe Serena didn't serve this match out in the second, but I would say she got what she wanted from this tournament. Now she has an idea of where to focus her training/practice efforts before the big one.

Also, I don't mind seeing Vera do well.

18majors
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Well done, Zvonareva!

Keadz
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Lots to be proud of there, tough match.

Nice to see the Williams sisters come back with good quality tennis, over all it was a pretty good match.

Vera please suck again against Sammy :)

Linguae^
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Whatever, Rena always peak at slams. Zvonareva who? Eastbourne MM what? :cheer: :help:
I just can't stand this crybaby on this Tour, she is such a bump. :p
Serena will smash you in London, just try to appear there.
Phew.

rucolo
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I predicted Vera to win. Never in doubt. :p

Serena is too rusty. Her serve is off. And the footwork/movement weak. It will take some time. :hug:

Nice words from Vera about Serena. Hope she will reach the final somehow. ;)

Andy.
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
One thing that really stuck out to me was Serena's lack of pace off the ground in the first set and a bit. Vera was really dominating in that department. One of the reasons why Serena was up 6/3 5/3 was because Vera wasnt playing that well. Once Vera did start to play at a decent level it was a completely different match. The third set was awesome. Serena really stepped up but so did Vera. The pace of shot and the quality of play went up too. There were some awesome rallies in that final set. Serena played some amazing points down 5/2 in particular the game at 5/4. Good on Serena for really fighting untill the very last point. It was a big steep up from her first round and I'm sure she will continue to improve match by match. With a few matches under her belt at Wimbledon she is going to be tough to beat seeing how she not only improved from her first match but how she improved as this match went on.

mdterp01
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Totally fine with this result. She showed that with just two matches under her belt she is a force to be reckoned with at Wimbledon. She showed some great spirit but it was to be expected against Vera. Glad she got some match play before W and I hope she is able to get back to handling the long cardio aspect of matches.

Welcome back Serena!!

Markobojo
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I was and I am still so sad. Love u, Serena.

Pops Maellard
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Serena served for the match. :sobbing:

cowmoonski
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
It wouldn't be like Serena to win this anyway.

Patrick345
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Much neeeded confidence boost for Vera, who once again played like crap for most of the match. She has lost all her edge.

Serena was huffing and puffing (understandably) buying time whenever she could, but Vera never pushed the pace between points or in points.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
How was the handshake? Did they have any words after the match? Did Serena give that ominous "I'm never losing a match to you again" handshake? I was listening but after 5-6 stopped physically watching for no reason other than I felt like drawing :tape:

Dominic
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Yess!! :D

winone23
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Great fight Serena, this loss is going to fire Serena up!

LUVMIRZA
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks Vera:D

longtin23
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Bepa just too great. Serena is rusty and lack of match practice though

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I dont think Venus or Serena came in wanting to win this tournament even thought thats what they would say naturally. I'm sure they wouldn't want to dissapoint the people paying good money or the tournament saying that they were playing just to get some on court practice. I think they'll turn it up about 50% once Wimbledon starts. (at least thats what I think they will do) Not bad Serena being that you haven't played a tournament in almost a year.