PDA

View Full Version : I'm in full support of Tracy Morgan - and all comedians - cracking on homosexuals

pov
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
and/or any other grouping. Homosexuals, heterosexuals, Jews, Whites, Blacks, Women, fat people, skinny people, tall people, short people, dumb people, smart people . . whatevah!

It's comedy. That's what it's about - cracking on people. Those who can't see the difference between that and threatening (or insulting in anger) are the ones for whom a campaign should be launched.

*JR*
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM
and/or any other grouping. Homosexuals, heterosexuals, Jews, Whites, Blacks, Women, fat people, skinny people, tall people, short people, dumb people, smart people . . whatevah!

It's comedy. That's what it's about - cracking on people. Those who can't see the difference between that and threatening (or insulting in anger) are the ones for whom a campaign should be launched.

I agree in a general sense. But (especially given the history of violence against gays) saying that he'd kill his own child if the kid was gay is like (even in jest) a white guy saying that if his knocked-up daughter's baby was of mixed race, he'd do the same thing. Sorry, but in both cases, the joke is simply ova the line.

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
So you're saying it's okay for me to express whatever messed up prejuidices I have as long as I add "I'm joking" at the end?

In The Zone
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I agree in a general sense. But (especially given the history of violence against gays) saying that he'd kill his own child if the kid was gay is like (even in jest) a white guy saying that if his knocked-up daughter's baby was of mixed race, he'd do the same thing. Sorry, but in both cases, the joke is simply ova the line.

Exactly.

Morgan wasn't "cracking" on homosexuals. It was a tirade under the guise of a comedic act. There was no punchline anywhere in his rant.

Bismarck.
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
So you're saying it's okay for me to express whatever messed up prejuidices I have as long as I add "I'm joking" at the end?

Not to mention preach violence.

debopero
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Tracy Morgan's disgusting tirade can not be called a joke. I too support freedom of expression but Tracy deserves every bit of criticism he gets. It wasn't a joke it was hate speech :shrug: .

Kylger
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have no idea what you on about :lol:

Truth is though that if the joke is not funny, it wasn't a joke and therefore making fun of any "minority" or very sensitive subject is out of line.

miffedmax
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I don't have a problem with jokes about anyone or anybody, provided they're actually funny. Saying you'd kill somebody because of the way they'd talk isn't funny.

In contrast, Dave Chapell's horribly offensive "race draft" sketch was hilariously brilliant satire that was an equal opportunity offender and actually made some rather telling points about race in America. Monty Python's "mouse sketch"--which parodied closeted homosexuality did the same thing.

The point is jokes and satire have to be funny, and make a point--even if I don't personally agree with the point, I like to at least be able to tell one is being made. Morgan's remarks failed both those tests IMHO.

Apoleb
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
pov. :facepalm: Trying too hard again to disguise his homophobia and his own issues with homosexuality.

Hatred and bigotry can express itself in jokes too. Usually a person with an average IQ can tell when it's the case and when it's not.

Dodoboy.
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgkvyzuTd51qbqb0j.gif

kiwifan
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Actually the joke wasn't about killing his son because of his sexual preference...

...and according to eye witnesses the audience laughed for the most part so clearly "funny" is a subjective term.

Just sayin' :tape:

That said, he did the right thing by backing down and saying he's sorry...for telling a stupid joke.

Moveyourfeet
Jun 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Please sit down. I refuse to believe you are obtuse enough not to be able to distinguish between making jokes about homosexuals and saying you would stab your n****r child to death if they came home and told you they were gay.

No one has claimed that people shouldn't make jokes about gays or blacks or any other group of people. It's not about offending delicate sensibilites. It's about not going on a hate mongering tirade about said people.

Are you also in full support of Michael Richards tirade on black people? :rolleyes:

In The Zone
Jun 11th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Actually the joke wasn't about killing his son because of his sexual preference...

...and according to eye witnesses the audience laughed for the most part so clearly "funny" is a subjective term.

That said, he did the right thing by backing down and saying he's sorry...for telling a stupid joke.

That wasn't the only "joke."

Miss Amor
Jun 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
And yet you get butt-hurt when someone jokes about your fave or her looks.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19491167&postcount=2860
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19687531&postcount=3528
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19500926&postcount=2900

And thats just from one thread over the past month.

My thoughts on this - Stop trying to kill us for our sexuality, give us equal rights and respect and then you can joke about us as equally as you joke about other things.

miffedmax
Jun 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM

I agree that humor is subjective, but that's why I feel real comedy or satire has to make a relevant point. I don't always agree with the points made by more conservative humorists like Dennis Miller or PJ O'Rourke (and IMHO O'Rourke hasn't been funny since about 1986) but can at least see that they're trying to go somewhere with their humor.

homogenius
Jun 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM

What do you think about Tina Fey's reaction :

Fey said, "The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community," adding that he clearly "went too far."

Though she clearly doesn't approve of Morgan's stage rant, Tina said that it "doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person."

The "Saturday Night Live" alum added, "I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
If my son were gay, I'd sign him up for TF. :sobbing:

homogenius
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM
That's hypocritical of Fey when she routinely makes fun of women like Sarah Palin with violent imagery.

what sort of violent imagery ? :unsure:

kiwifan
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I agree that humor is subjective, but that's why I feel real comedy or satire has to make a relevant point. I don't always agree with the points made by more conservative humorists like Dennis Miller or PJ O'Rourke (and IMHO O'Rourke hasn't been funny since about 1986) but can at least see that they're trying to go somewhere with their humor.

Trust me, there are jokes that piss me off and that I don't think are funny...

...but just like the many previous N word debates, I'm a marketplace of ideas kind of guy...

...nothing is sacred and anything if done right can potentially be either funny or conversation worthy...

...anything worthy of media "outrage" is a learning opportunity if you look at it right.

I like learning opportunities. ;)

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Trust me, there are jokes that piss me off and that I don't think are funny...

...but just like the many previous N word debates, I'm a marketplace of ideas kind of guy...

...nothing is sacred and anything if done right can potentially be either funny or conversation worthy...

...anything worthy of media "outrage" is a learning opportunity if you look at it right.

I like learning opportunities. ;)

I think that's where we're on the same page. A professional "comedian" should be funny and/or thought provoking, otherwise we can just read to each other out of Joe Miller's joke book. I think Morgan failed both the humor and the conversation worthy test, though I would have forgiven him had he passed either one.

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:49 AM
See, I don't think that's over any line. Obviously Morgan wouldn't kill his child so I don't find it out-of-bounds at all. Same for a white comedian cracking about having a mixed-race kid.

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Good try but fail. See if you can get the gist of what I posted and have another go.

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I have no idea what you on about :lol:

Truth is though that if the joke is not funny, it wasn't a joke and therefore making fun of any "minority" or very sensitive subject is out of line.
:lol: I'm on about people whining, complaining and being ultra-PC about almost everything no matter what the context. And are you stating that you think that being in the majority is the criteria for who it's okay for comedians to rag on?

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 02:02 AM
A professional "comedian" should be funny and/or thought provoking, otherwise we can just read to each other out of Joe Miller's joke book. I think Morgan failed both the humor and the conversation worthy test, though I would have forgiven him had he passed either one.
IMO Tracy Morgan is funny. If you're saying that every routine a pro should be something you find funny or I'd say that's nuts. As for not conversation worthy, you're kidding right.

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 02:08 AM

Fey said, "The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community," adding that he clearly "went too far."

Though she clearly doesn't approve of Morgan's stage rant, Tina said that it "doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person."

The "Saturday Night Live" alum added, "I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."
I think first that "homophobic hate crimes" make up a very, very small amount of crime in the USA and is currently far from some huge "life threatening issue for the GLBT Community."

pov
Jun 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM
My point is made more clearly by a poster at NY Mag.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/morgan.html?imw=Y&f=most-viewed-24h5

fedup33
All of this political correctness is nauseating. People need to have backbone and not be offended each time someone says something that offends them.

This is not an issue of civility. Rather it is an issue of freedom of speech. In that regard, what is our country coming to when we are no longer permitted to make fun of ourselves or others, to comment candidly about our observations and sentiments, especially when it is not intended and does not have the effect of inciting violence?

All of the 'sensitive' people need to grow up, or else we will descend into a police state where we can no longer say what comes to mind - that is not democracy, but rather tyranny.

Tracy Morgan's right as both a comedian and an individual to say what he wants, whether or not the statement is about gays, should be strongly defended and even celebrated.

Novichok
Jun 12th, 2011, 02:42 AM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/morgan.html?imw=Y&f=most-viewed-24h5

fedup33
All of this political correctness is nauseating. People need to have backbone and not be offended each time someone says something that offends them.

This is not an issue of civility. Rather it is an issue of freedom of speech. In that regard, what is our country coming to when we are no longer permitted to make fun of ourselves or others, to comment candidly about our observations and sentiments, especially when it is not intended and does not have the effect of inciting violence?

All of the 'sensitive' people need to grow up, or else we will descend into a police state where we can no longer say what comes to mind - that is not democracy, but rather tyranny.

Tracy Morgan's right as both a comedian and an individual to say what he wants, whether or not the statement is about gays, should be strongly defended and even celebrated.

Why isn't it an issue of civility? He is denigrating gays with his tired/unfunny gay jokes. He just another homophobe who thinks that his jokes are funny. He's not some cunning comedian who satirizing homophobia. There's straight comedians who tell gay jokes without riling up so many people. (Margaret Cho or Kathy Griffin.

No one is denying him his freedom of speech. He can say whatever the hell he wants to say but he'll also have to accept the consequences (getting removed from 30 Rock). I believe the first amendment protects against attacks on free speech from the government not gay citizens who don't want to help a homophobe financially.

debopero
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Well then your in support of bigotry. What Tracy said crossed the line.

Wigglytuff
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Yeah well you also think rape victims get too much sympathy so pardon me if I don't take you opinion seriously.

Wigglytuff
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Making fun of Christians: liberals laugh.
Making fun of poor whites: liberals laugh.
Making fun of homosexuals: liberals are offended.

You think saying that he would stab his own son is comedy?

JN
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Making fun of Christians: liberals laugh.
Making fun of poor whites: liberals laugh.
Making fun of homosexuals: liberals are offended.

Why must they be poor? Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck, just to name a few, aren't poor and I make fun of and laugh at them all the time. :shrug:

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM
IMO Tracy Morgan is funny. If you're saying that every routine a pro should be something you find funny or I'd say that's nuts. As for not conversation worthy, you're kidding right.

That series of remarks was painfully not funny. I mean seriously, every pre-teen boy I know is a comedic genius by that standard. "Huh huh. That's so gay. Huh huh."

Novichok
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Liberals make fun of poor whites by calling them, "trailer trash."

Liberals? As in all liberals? or a few?

How is this relevant to what TRACY MORGAN said?

debopero
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Liberals can dish it out, but can't take it. They make fun of Christians, poor whites, conservatives, and other groups. Yet, they are offended when they are the target of jokes.

The groups that you mention aren't in the middle of a battle for civil rights; they are the majority.

cowmoonski
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM
It would bother me a lot more if someone intelligent had said it.

Expat
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM
He has the right to say what he wants to say.
He also has to face the consequences of what he wants to say.

The groups that you mention aren't in the middle of a battle for civil rights; they are the majority.
Whites or Christians are a minority globally. And are persecuted in many places. Whites in Zimbabwe or Christians in China for example. So are they protected from this then?

debopero
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
He has the right to say what he wants to say.
He also has to face the consequences of what he wants to say.

Whites or Christians are a minority globally. And are persecuted in many places. Whites in Zimbabwe or Christians in China for example. So are they protected from this then?

White and Christians are not a minority, demographically or in influence.

Expat
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:50 AM
White and Christians are not a minority, demographically or in influence.

Whites are like 10% of the total global population. Asians make over 50% of the total population.
Christians are like 30% of the global population.

debopero
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Whites are like 10% of the total global population. Asians make over 50% of the total population.

This argument isn't really relevant to the discussion. :) In the context of Morgan's comments, Whites and Christians are the majority, and gays are in the middle of a battle for civil rights. In the context of American liberalism, Whites and Christians are the majority, and gays are in the middle of a battle for civil rights. This is the context:
Liberals can dish it out, but can't take it. They make fun of Christians, poor whites, conservatives, and other groups. Yet, they are offended when they are the target of jokes.

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Pov... you are a dick

... just joking

... okay so maybe not, you hateful *********

Novichok
Jun 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM

I think the poster is talking about the USA not the world. Whites are however as group the most influential racial group IMO.

Expat
Jun 12th, 2011, 09:08 AM
This argument isn't really relevant to the discussion. :) In the context of Morgan's comments, Whites and Christians are the majority, and gays are in the middle of a battle for civil rights. In the context of American liberalism, Whites and Christians are the majority, and gays are in the middle of a battle for civil rights. This is the context:

I don't see why that makes gays off limits or jokes on Whites or Christians more acceptable. Be an equal opportunity hater/joker.
PS: I am gay and non white.

This joke isn't funny but I don't think a joke made by a non white person saying that he would kill his daughter if she dated a white guy should be any more acceptable than this.
Either it is funny both ways or not at all.

debopero
Jun 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I don't see why that makes gays off limits or jokes on Whites or Christians more acceptable. Be an equal opportunity hater/joker.
PS: I am gay and non white.

This joke isn't funny but I don't think a joke made by a non white person saying that he would kill his daughter if she dated a white guy should be any more acceptable than this.
Either it is funny both ways or not at all.

Who in the world said that joke was acceptable? Find me a similar anit-white tirade that people were "okay" with because for all I know none such one exist :shrug: .

JN
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Liberals make fun of poor whites by calling them, "trailer trash."

Please provide me with your proof that only "liberals" are guilty of this.

I'm liberal and Christian, as are many. There are also poor whites who are liberal, conservatives who aren't Christian, "other groups" who aren't liberal, etc. So now what, Mr. Generalizer? Your laughably simplistic worldview, where everything is either black or white, doesn't exist in reality.

Keegan
Jun 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't mind people making gay jokes. I find them funny and I laugh along too, especially when they're based upon the stereotype cause it is genuinely amusing.

However, threatening to kill someone for their sexuality is not funny. It's a genuinely serious matter, especially when you've been put in that situation. I've had a knife pulled on me before and I've been beaten up because I'm gay, all within the space of about 5 minutes. It was the most terrifying experience I have ever had in my life and I would never wish it on anyone and I think it's sick to joke about it for comedic value. It genuinely scars you and I still get nervous walking around by myself, even during daylight hours. But I suppose you'd think that's fucking hysterical?

gentenaire
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Fey pretended to shoot rifles while making fun of Sarah Palin.

Oh dear. Someone clearly didn't get the joke.

Fey was making fun of Palin's love of guns. She wasn't implicating Palin herself should be shot.

stevos
Jun 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM

fedup33

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lolz lolololololol
what a fucking joke. yes, that is a real worry, that people won't be able to say horrific things about killing gay children. what kind of world will we live in! good heavens.
think of the children! except the gay ones, who must die.

stevos
Jun 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I don't mind people making gay jokes. I find them funny and I laugh along too, especially when they're based upon the stereotype cause it is genuinely amusing.

However, threatening to kill someone for their sexuality is not funny. It's a genuinely serious matter, especially when you've been put in that situation. I've had a knife pulled on me before and I've been beaten up because I'm gay, all within the space of about 5 minutes. It was the most terrifying experience I have ever had in my life and I would never wish it on anyone and I think it's sick to joke about it for comedic value. It genuinely scars you and I still get nervous walking around by myself, even during daylight hours. But I suppose you'd think that's fucking hysterical?

Remember though, what is really important is that we don't criticize people for encouraging gay violence! Don't you see how harmful that would be?

I mean, sure, you had your life threatened because of your sexuality, but do you know how SCARY and horrifying it is to have your hate-filled homophobic JOKES threatened? Be reasonable, Keegan.

égalité
Jun 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM

You want to talk about dishing it out but not being able to take it? You conservatives rant on and on about "freedom of speech," but when liberals exercise their right to free speech by saying, "I'm offended," you can't take it. Nobody's trying to make it illegal for Tracy Morgan to be a homophobic idiot in public. He's 100% entitled to make offensive jokes, and we're 100% entitled to say, "I'm offended by that." Are you under the impression that "free speech" means the right to say anything you want without being questioned? :weirdo:

thelittlestelf
Jun 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joke wasn't funny. You should be going somewhere if you're going to say controversial shit, otherwise you're just going to piss people off. I don't think it's about politics or freedom of speech, just bad comedy.

In The Zone
Jun 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Why isn't it an issue of civility? He is denigrating gays with his tired/unfunny gay jokes. He just another homophobe who thinks that his jokes are funny. He's not some cunning comedian who satirizing homophobia. There's straight comedians who tell gay jokes without riling up so many people. (Margaret Cho or Kathy Griffin.

No one is denying him his freedom of speech. He can say whatever the hell he wants to say but he'll also have to accept the consequences (getting removed from 30 Rock). I believe the first amendment protects against attacks on free speech from the government not gay citizens who don't want to help a homophobe financially.

Very good point.

We'll see if 30 Rock removes him considering it is one of the most liberal, high income skewing shows on broadcast television right now.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 12th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Comedians can joke about any damn thing they want.

...it just better be funny.

new-york
Jun 12th, 2011, 10:54 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/ei137b.jpg

mykarma
Jun 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Fey pretended to shoot rifles while making fun of Sarah Palin.
Please tell me that you forgot your meds because there's no way in hell any sane person believes the shit you sometimes post.

miffedmax
Jun 13th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Please provide me with your proof that only "liberals" are guilty of this.

I'm liberal and Christian, as are many. There are also poor whites who are liberal, conservatives who aren't Christian, "other groups" who aren't liberal, etc. So now what, Mr. Generalizer? Your laughably simplistic worldview, where everything is either black or white, doesn't exist in reality.

You forget a depressing number of conservatives inhabit a world where you can't be liberal and Christian, or liberal and patriotic. You can't be a moderate and Christian, or patriotic. If the opposing party is out of power, they are potential traitors. If they are in power, they are a cabal of communist Muslim fascists conspiring to destroy America.

darrinbaker00
Jun 13th, 2011, 03:51 AM

That's what it all boils down to. If you're viewed as anti-gay and/or anti-Semitic, you can forget about a career in show business.

Nicolás89
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM

OMEG :hysteric: Are you saying that all gays are liberals? Or that only liberals get offended at comedic rants? Either way you are making no sense and I doubt whatever you point is makes one.

I've always found SNL quite a homophobic show to be honest.

miffedmax
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I've always found SNL to be painfully unfunny, even in its so-called "golden age."

Nicolás89
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I don't know, the bear people sketches had something.

Kworb
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:11 AM
It's the same if someone goes on some racist tirade, like Kramer from Seinfeld. And what Tracy said was even worse than that. I'm all for freedom of speech and they can say whatever the hell they want, but they should be prepared to be vilified for their inane "comedy routine" if they decide to do it in public.

harloo
Jun 13th, 2011, 04:34 AM
An intelligent comedian can write and perform jokes about any controversial subject(race, homosexuality, politics) without crossing the line. It's weird because I feel like most comedians today don't quite have the ability to write original material so they resort to the lowest common denominator. I don't find all jokes about race and sexuality offensive. Most groups will laugh at themselves but if the joke isn't executed well it could lead to disaster. Tracy was out of line here, he should know better considering he's worked around gay men and women for years. It's good he apologized but this has to be embarrassing to say the least.