PDA

View Full Version : Therapy to changy 'sissy boy' killed my brother - report on CNN

The Witch-king
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Therapy to change 'feminine' boy created a troubled man, family says (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/07/sissy.boy.experiment/index.html?on.cnn=1)

Adal
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Disturbing. The whole thing.

The Witch-king
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:38 PM
The doctor that did the research hired a rent boy :o

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-05-06/news/christian-right-leader-george-rekers-takes-vacation-with-rent-boy/

Rekers is a board member of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), an organization that systematically attempts to turn gay people straight. And the Huffington Post recently singled out Rekers as a member of the American College of Pediatricians — an official-sounding outfit in Gainesville that purveys lurid, youth-directed literature accusing gays of en masse coprophilia. (In an email, the college's Lisa Hawkins wrote, "ACPeds feels privileged to have a scholar of Dr. Rekers' stature affiliated with our organization. I am sure you will find Prof. Rekers to be an immaculate clinician/scholar, and a warm human being.")

Rekers lectures worldwide, from Europe to the Middle East, on teen sexuality. Yet during his ten-day sojourn with Lucien to London and Madrid, he had no lectures scheduled. Both men deny having sex on the trip, and emails exchanged between the two before their jaunt are cautiously worded.

"I'd like to propose another trip to Rome, Italy, for a week or more," Rekers wrote in an email dated March 21 obtained by New Times. "This is so exciting to have a nice Travel Assistant and traveling companion! Wow! I'm so glad I met you."

"I called and talked to the reservation guy in London and reserved a room with two twin beds," Rekers wrote on March 26.

"Now that I'm packed, tomorrow I'll work on completing my income tax return," Rekers wrote two days later. "Not fun... But I'll just remind myself that the fun trip is coming soon."

In his interview with New Times, Lucien didn't want to impugn his client, but he made it clear they met through Rentboy.com, which is the only website on which he advertises his services. Neither Google nor any other search engine picks up individual Rentboy.com profiles, any more than they pick up individual profiles on eHarmony or Match.com. You cannot just happen upon one.

miffedmax
Jun 10th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I read that story and found it thoroughly depressing. Reker is such a pathetic fraud.

doni1212
Jun 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM
That is just horrible, :o

LeonHart
Jun 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM
That is the saddest story I've heard. Parents are to blame as well.

doni1212
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:07 AM
For sure! The Mom still didn't seem remorseful to me, :o

Alizé Molik
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:14 AM
This makes me so fucking mad! That guy is seriously FLAMING how anyone could have taken him seriously is beyond me. It makes me sick that he used his own internalised hatred to profit off the insecurities of others.

skanky~skanketta
Jun 10th, 2011, 05:27 AM
The mom came across as a complete ****. Such a sad story though, especially for the siblings who clearly loved their brother to bits.

young_gunner913
Jun 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Beyond disgusting. I'm repulsed that such studies could go on and I'm even more repulsed with parents doing this to their children. The mother trying to pass blame is sickening because she allowed this to continue and she's got just as much blood on her hands as her husband and the people behind this study.

Apoleb
Jun 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
This is terrible.

How is it even legal to conduct such "studies" on humans?

Mina Vagante
Jun 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
No gay gene has been discovered. I think it is more about the way a person is raised. It is more nurture than nature.

Shut Up.

hectopascal
Jun 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
No gay gene has been discovered. I think it is more about the way a person is raised. It is more nurture than nature.

Not according to David Reimer, the boy who's penis was destroyed by accident during surgery for phimosis when he was a baby. He was raised as a girl, given estrogen, had a sex change operation, and he still felt "male". Was finally told the truth when he was 15yo and underwent another operation to get his penis back.

http://www.singlesexschools.org/reimer.html

Moveyourfeet
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM

I typically don't give bad reps but you deserve it for repeating this mantra often used by religious people to justify their negative bias towards homosexuality.

That you would say "no gay gene has been found" is very telling about your level of knowledge of genetics in the first place. Like I said in my bad rep, educate yourself.
You can start by reading the works of Levay, Allen and Gorski.
Somehow I doubt your lazy internet posting prejudiced self will do that.

The Witch-king
Jun 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Sorry, but unless there is genetic proof of homosexuality, then I and many others will continue to believe that it is psychological, not physiological.

Fortunately it doesn't matter a damn whether you think it's genetic or not.

homogenius
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM

Even if it's the case why is it important ? I mean, what is the point of analizing the roots of homosexuality ?

Not according to David Reimer, the boy who's penis was destroyed by accident during surgery for phimosis when he was a baby. He was raised as a girl, given estrogen, had a sex change operation, and he still felt "male". Was finally told the truth when he was 15yo and underwent another operation to get his penis back.

http://www.singlesexschools.org/reimer.html

it looks like this story has more to do with identity than sexuality though.

Moveyourfeet
Jun 11th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry, but unless there is genetic proof of homosexuality, then I and many others will continue to believe that it is psychological, not physiological.

Dumbass, I just gave you 3 scientists who have found strong evidence for genetic and/or intra-uterine causation of homosexuality and you respond with the same thing.

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM

And your inability to cite anything other than your belief--after being referred to several scientific studies--shows just what shaky ground you're on.

This is one of the oldest pseudo-scientific tricks in the book, used by everyone from Young Earthers to Holocaust Deniers. You simply deny the other person's evidence, rather than producing a shred of your own.

égalité
Jun 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
It doesn't matter whether homosexuality is psychological or physiological. No one has to justify their sexual preferences to anyone else. :D

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM
According to this article, the overwhelming majority of evidence for a biological basis comes from the last decade:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/01/homosexuality-genetics-usa

So you're citing work from 1994.

Furthermore, William Bynes also rejects the idea that sexual orientation is a choice, or determined solely by socialization.

So again, you have nothing.

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM
You can find anyone to dispute anything, but the fact is that there is a growing body of evidence and a growing consensus in the scientific community that there is a biological determinant to sexuality. Anybody who grew up gay or with a gay sibling can tell you that.

hdfb
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Neither has God. Or Heaven. Or Hell. Or The Garden of Eden. Just saying. Not everything needs proof.

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It doesn't matter whether homosexuality is psychological or physiological. No one has to justify their sexual preferences to anyone else. :D

I agree, but it's still an interesting topic. I'm just as curious about, say, my fascination for tall, willowy blondes with prominent noses.

Or why some of my hetero brethren are so fascinated by boobs or asses when it's so DAMN OBVIOUS legs are way more important. ;)