PDA

View Full Version : Help Desperately Needed! Traveling Through Europe.

Cat's Pajamas
Jun 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hello all.

I am in London for a month but the group I am traveling with has provided a free day trip to Paris on a Thursday. After the day we are largely free to do whatever we want for the weekend. A few friends and myself were hoping to go to Amsterdam for the rest of the weekend.

What would be the most economical way to do so? We've looked at some airfare but that was a little pricey and we looked at some trains that had good prices but had no available trains from Amsterdam to London for a return. :confused:

Any traveling trips or recommendations on the best way to get from Paris to Amsterdam to London? Sorry if this is complicated. :lol: Any help would be greatly appreciated! :worship:

kwilliams
Jun 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Look at the economy airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet. They may be awful but they're cheap and usually have a number of services daily. Trains can be cheap but are often expensive. I wouldn't recommend taking a train from Amsterdam to London. Flying would be much quicker, I would think.

Would you consider going to Brussels instead of Amsterdam? I prefer Brussels to Amsterdam, there's a bit more to do and see and it's just a bit prettier, with more historical buildings (also the Belgian chocolate doesn't detract from my opinion of it). Half day trips to Leuven, Ghent or Bruges/Brugge would also be possible from Brussels. Leuven is only 20 minutes from Brussels, if I remember correctly. Ghent is 30 minutes, I believe, though I haven't been there and Bruges is about an hour but I haven't been there in a long time, so I may be slightly off on that one.

Keegan
Jun 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM
You can get some cheap deals from airlines like KLM every now and again. There's also Jet2.com, EasyJet and Ryanair. Try looking at other UK cities airlines fly to and consider getting a train from those cities to London. I know you can get cheap deals to/from Amsterdam from Leeds-Bradford airport, and then you catch the bus to the train station and you can get some brilliant deals for trains to London (I've seen tickets going at like 3 if you're lucky enough). Trains also go to KX from Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow and various other cities around the UK.

GoofyDuck
Jun 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I live near Amsterdam, and I'm quite sure there is a train that goes atleast once a day between Amsterdam and Paris. Its called the Thalys.

the past month I have seen this commercial 10 times a day :haha:

ReMbo3jXNBQ

^^^ KLM is quite expensive, Transavia also Dutch is cheaper.. but I would recommend ryanair or easyjet for cheap tickets :)

jefrilibra
Jun 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Amsterdam - Paris:

There's a train (Thalys line) departing every hour from Amsterdam Central station. For example in June: http://www.thalys.com/fr/en/timetables/Amsterdam/Paris?old_o=FRPNO&old_d=BEBMI

Fare: 130 Euros - 205 Euros (one way trip). There are also other travelling packages: http://www.thalys.com/fr/en/new-fares/Amsterdam/Paris?old_o=FRPNO&old_d=BEBMI

Soliloque
Jun 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hello all.

I am in London for a month but the group I am traveling with has provided a free day trip to Paris on a Thursday. After the day we are largely free to do whatever we want for the weekend. A few friends and myself were hoping to go to Amsterdam for the rest of the weekend.

What would be the most economical way to do so? We've looked at some airfare but that was a little pricey and we looked at some trains that had good prices but had no available trains from Amsterdam to London for a return. :confused:

Any traveling trips or recommendations on the best way to get from Paris to Amsterdam to London? Sorry if this is complicated. :lol: Any help would be greatly appreciated! :worship:

Well with train, you have to do London-Paris with the Eurostar and Paris Amsterdam with the Thalys, then to go back to London you take the Thalys to Brussels and the Eurostar between Brussels and London.

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
You'll probably have to buy two one-way tickets. I would do Paris-Amsterdam with Thalys. This should be about 100 euros.

Amsterdam to London is best with Eurostar. Eurostar itself only covers the trip from Brussels to London, but with the ticket you may also travel from any Dutch train station to Brussels. In your case that would be the intercity train from Amsterdam to Brussels. You could do Amsterdam-Brussels with Thalys (which is a faster and more comfortable train), but then you have to pay a lot extra.

I looked on eurostar.com and tickets from "any Dutch station" to London seem to be $120 for next weekend, but it depends on the time of day.

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
If you want to fly you can also fly with Easyjet from Amsterdam to Gatwick/Stansted/Luton. Should be about the same price. But I hate Easyjet.

Kart
Jun 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I recently booked some flights to Amsterdam for a couple of weeks time.

To be honest, the price of EasyJet was only a bit less than most of the other airlines. Perhaps it's because I left it to the last minute.