PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Loop

alfajeffster
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I was thinking the other day (I know- dangerous, very dangerous) after watching Francesca Schiavone play, which players of the past had that much variety on the one-handed backhand, and whom do you think was close to the best at incorporating the long, loopy topspin backhand on a regular basis with good success? My vote is for Amelie Mauresmo, with Gabriela Sabatini close behind. Going farther back to when 3 of the 4 majors were on grass, most players only sliced, chipped or occasionally a flat drive, Evonne Goolagong had a really good topspin backhand, which is made all the more spectacular given the size of her racquet face.

gabybackhand
Jun 9th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Not that it would be a surprise, but I vote Gabriela first and second Amélie: Gaby and Amélie were on par in most of their backhands, but I think Gabriela had a little more touch and control for dropshots, volleys and lobs.
Alfa, you should check her QF match at Wimbledon 92 if you like to see tremendous variety and change of pace on the BH side.

nat75
Jun 13th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Just a hint on what Gaby do:

9E7y7erIHsc

spencercarlos
Jun 13th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Not that it would be a surprise, but I vote Gabriela first and second Amélie: Gaby and Amélie were on par in most of their backhands, but I think Gabriela had a little more touch and control for dropshots, volleys and lobs.
Alfa, you should check her QF match at Wimbledon 92 if you like to see tremendous variety and change of pace on the BH side.
On the power side of things Mauresmo could generate unreal power with her one handed backhand, but on the variety side Gaby wins hands down, better slice and dropshots. So i call it even. Both were classical with that shot.

alfajeffster
Jun 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
On the power side of things Mauresmo could generate unreal power with her one handed backhand, but on the variety side Gaby wins hands down, better slice and dropshots. So i call it even. Both were classical with that shot.

The Wimbledon final between Henin and Mauresmo was one of the best I've seen in the last 20 years. Two attacking women with great one-handed backhands duking it out on the old-style faster grass. Both players made their contemporaries look like amateurs from the Bolletteri Academy with no clue as to where to move at the net, let alone how to hit an effective approach and what to do with the volley.