PDA

View Full Version : Which is your fav. grandslam win by MTG?

selesrules
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:49 PM
i'm curious to know...

mboyle
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:29 AM
I am assuming that MTG means Monica the Great. If so, it would have to be the 1995 US Open:p (she morally won that slam, if the linesperson was not so pro-Steffi AND anti-Monica, she would have won) of her official slams, the 1990 Roland Garros was amazing just because she was so young and cute.

disposablehero
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:53 AM
Personally I liked her loss to Steffi at the 89 RG. Nothing is quite as exciting as potential. Plus, it was fascinating watching Steffi's expression late in the 3rd set, where she knew she was going to win the battle, but also realized it was only a matter of time before she would lose the war.

selesrules
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:59 AM
yes MTG is for Monica The Great of course... :)

you guys are right about the 2 examples. It was amazing to see a 15 year old Monica almost beat the no.1 Graf, and Graf must have felt that it was only a matter of time that she was going to be dethroned. Also the 95 US Open and the 98 French Open, even though Monica lost in the final, both were in a way remembered as HER tournaments and HER victories because of what she was going through emotionally!

From her official wins, my pick would be either the 1996 Australien because it was her win after the stabbing and a nice tribute to her. Also the 1993 Australien because she proved once and for all that despite Graf winning the first set and having the croud behind her, it was MONICA that was the true no.1 and she raised her level winning easily at the end. Monica was just too good and she was not going to surrender that no.1 spot :) Not if it was up to TENNIS TALENT to decide it.

Experimentee
Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
The 1996 Australian coz it was a great comeback win.

Monica_Rules
Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:59 PM
1993 Aus open and 1992 French open she beat Graf twice in three sets and was the dominant player.

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
no one :p

AjdeNate!
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:39 PM
1992 French Open...so many 3 setters...so many times she came from 4-1 or 4-2 down in the 3rd set. That's what Monica does, always comes back.

jay_k
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
1996 AO

irma
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
even if I hate the match(for obvious reasons and a few more), I like to use the french open 92 final as example for people who complain to be tired after 1 tough match and when the crowd doesn't like you! that these things make no reason to lose(same for us open 91 tough). Monica was the ultimate example of that!