PDA

View Full Version : Kirsten Flipkens 2003

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brαm
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:41 PM
Here's a quick translation of an article about Belgian up-and-coming player Kirsten Flipkens :)
I'm sure the fans will appreciate this ;)
---------------------------------------------------------

"I will always stay a sensible, Limburg girl"

It was 2 years ago, that we heard of Kisten Flipkens for the very 1st time. Flipkens, a native of Mol (Belgian city), beat Catherine Grotz 6-1 6-2 in the final of the "cadettes" (kadetten). Two months later, she won the National "scholieren" singles titel by beating Davina Lobbinger.
And it was last year that she made her 1st big step on the adults' level: she won the prequalifying matches, the qualifying matches and eventually reached the final of the National Tennis Championships. She lost to Daphne Van de Zande, but this doesn't make her amazing progress any smaller! Those results could easily remind us of the progress Sabine Appelmans & Justine Henin made at that age...

Last Summer, right-hander Flipkens won her 1st ITF-tournament in Pétange (LUX) and 2 weeks later, she won the $10,000 "Flanders Ladies Trophy" challenger of Koksijde. This is quite remarkable, because Kirsten only got a place in the main draw because she got a Wild card. She beat Frenchwoman Capucine Rousseau 6-4 7-6 in the final.

In September, Flipkens reach the QF of the Junior US Open as a qualifier, losing 7-5 2-6 1-6 to top seed Barbora Strycova, the Czech no.1 junior in the world.
In the doubles final, Flipkens and her partner Elke Clijsters, who's also one of her best friends, trashed Americans Robinson/Zawacki 6-1 6-3. This means that they became the 2nd Belgian duo ever to win a doubles slam. Feber/Courtois won RG & Wimbledon in '92 & '93. Feber's pro career was never impressive, but this slam win is definitely a good sign. Justine Henin won RG in 1997 and Kim Clijsters won the doubles titles at the US Open & RG.

Kirsten Flipkens grew up with tennis, thanks to her parents. They didn't push Kirsten into tennis though, they also told her that she'd have to make a lot of sacrifices.
Kirsten Flipkens: "After I'd gone on a tennis camp, I started playing tennis twice a week when I was 6. It was just for fun. When some trainers said I was pretty good, I decided to join the VTV (Flemish Tennis Association). Then came the regional training sessions. Since the 1st year of secondary school, I'm an intern pupil in Wilrijk and I go to school in Mortel. I really like the VTV, because they plan everything very well. I get a lot of good opportunities here, so why would I change?"

Kirsten realizes that she'll have to make some big decisions in the near future. After the US Open, she got a personal trainer (Bernard Dewanne), who will try to make her game better.
Kirsten: "School is still very important, but I'll play some $10,000 and $25,000 challengers to find out how good I really am. But I'll stay a realistic, sensible Limburg girl... I won't put my hopes up too high. The top-100 is nowhere near my goals for next year, but I hope I'll get there some day of course. I will first try to find out how good I am in the juniors tournaments. If I reach the main draws of the junior slams, my season will be good for me.

Even though she likes Agassi, Sampras and especially Roddick, she never had any real idols, except for maybe Graf...
"You know, I just play for myself. I have to work hard and not try to fly too high. In the pro tournaments that I've played so far, I saw that the older players have a much better game, because they are mentally tougher and I know that I'll have to become more focused when I play.
I consider myself as a small, but brave little Belgian. I think it's really cool that little players like Olivier Rochus & Justine Henin also get great results in a game that's dominated by tall power players. We're more fierce than those giants *laughs*"

Flipkens is quite proud of the watch she got from Kim Clijsters during the US Open.
"I see it as a kind of talisman. I've known Kim for a long time now, from the time I started playing tennis. She's a real fiend. I think it's great how, even though she's had such amazingly great results, she's still herself. That's one of the most important things I've learnt from her: modesty."

The next Appelmans?

Steven Martens, former coach of Sabine Appelmans, has worked with Kirsten Flipkens in the past.

Martens: "Kirsten has always been an under-achiever.... She can do a lot better than what's she done up to now. She has great hands, she's very explosive and she can make great shots, but she's also the kind of person who's gets too easily satisfied with a bit less... She has good hands, but she hasn't been consistent in her results.
Kirsten used to be a real play bird (don't really know the word for this in English). She's become a bit more mature now, thank God. She's more confident, a bit calmer and more serious about everything. She's become more consistent too. Her results used to be like.. 1 great week, the next one mediocre or bad... It was always up and down really... She's becoming better, because she fights a lot more for the points now and she keeps herself a bit more under control."

"The expectations shouldn't be too high though", says Martens.
"It's good for her that she tries to play $10,000 tournaments and the big junior tournaments. The lower ITFs and the Junior slams; that's what we'll do in the near future. The young players really live for all those experiences: Australia, Paris, New York...
Last week she was in Croatia ($10k Makarska, I suppose). I guess it was a nice tennis club, but the travelling was done by backpack and not by bus! They see it as a challenge, which shows them that they still have a long way to go..."

Martens is sure that she'll never be as good as Kim & Justine: "55 kg and 1,63m is just too small to make it to the very top", he says.
"10 cm taller would've made a big difference, but then again, she now is a really fierce player due to her small package. Kirsten wins the points, not just to pure power. It would be great for her if she could become as good as Sabine Appelmans: Grand Slam player, a good win every now and then, top-50. And she could become a good Fed Cup player too. The top-10 is too high, but never say never. Dominique Van Roost Monami also surprised me when she reached the top-10!"

Article by Frédéric Vanheule, translated by moi ;)

:wavey:

arn
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:08 PM
ThanX Bram :)

DutchieGirl
Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:10 AM
bedankt Brammeke! :D

Belgium = Best
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Dank u voor de informatie, Bram :p

Of moet ik zeggen: thank you for the information? :p

Lleyki
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:44 PM
thx Bram

nice article :)

E. Blackadder
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
thanks bram :kiss:

will you post els' article now? :angel:

Penguin
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
merci bram :angel:

Come-on-kim
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks Bram

BelgianGirl
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:23 PM
thanks! :D

spiceboy
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone, I found this interesting for you, all professionals tournaments Kirsten has played this year plus the points she has earned...

FLIPKENS, KIRSTEN BEL

Petange 10 04.08.02 W 5.75 1 6.75
Koksijde 10 18.08.02 W 5.00 1 6.00
Villenave D'Ornon 10 10.11.02 QF 1.50 1 2.50
Amsterdam 10 07.07.02 QF 2.25 0 2.25
Makarska 10 13.10.02 QF 1.50 0 1.50
Brussels IV 14.07.02 Q.1 1.00 0 1.00
Antwerp II 17.02.02 Q.1 1.00 0 1.00
Le Touquet 10 21.07.02 1.R 0.75 0 0.75
Makarska 10 20.10.02 1.R 0.50 0 0.50
Total : 9 19.25 3 22.25

DutchieGirl
Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
cool, thanks spiceboy! :D

per4ever
Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
oh I really like Kirsten :bounce: she's so pretty :D

I saw her in Koksijde :D

fleemke³
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:25 PM
she won the trophy for most promising player of the year (second year in a row)
:bounce:

Brαm
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Kirsten is leaving for Australia on the 27th. She will play a couple of juniors events there, including the Australian Open :D

Go Kirsten!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Dec 25th, 2002, 01:54 PM
good luck in Australia kirsten!!! :bounce:

BelgianGirl
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Have a great 2003, Kirsten!! :bounce: :) :bounce:
I hope you have some excellent results! :) I'm sure you will! ;)

Brαm
Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Kirsten is playing the ITF Grade 1 hardcourt tournament of Victoria next week!! :D

C'mon Kirsten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Jan 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
kirsten is in the quarterfinal :bounce:
and stephanie de laet/daniella dominikovic are in the doubles quarterfinal :D

Belgium = Best
Jan 5th, 2003, 05:05 PM
I wish Kirsten all the best in Australia :)

:worship:

Brαm
Jan 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Kirsten has lost in the round of 64 at the Australian Hardcourt Junior Championships.
She lost 5-7 6-7 to Mari Andersson of Sweden :sad:
I wonder what happened... :confused:

Better luck at the Australian Open, Kirsten!!! Come on, you can do it!! :bounce:

Elleke
Jan 12th, 2003, 05:34 PM
misschien had ze haar verjaardag te uitbundig gevierd en was ze er nog ni van bekome ;)

arn
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:15 AM
The best junior in the BENELUX is Michaela Krajicek without a doubt! Still very young and already so incredibly good.

I think Kirsten is the better singles player, Elke the better doubles player.

Brαm
Jan 17th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Yeah, Elke's results so far haven't been that good really... She's 29th in juniors now though, but Kirsten's doing better on the ITF/WTA circuit. Elke still hasn't won any pro singles titles..

I also think Elke will do great in doubles, whereas Kirsten might become a top-50 player in singles :)

*JR*
Jan 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks, guys! :D (Nice to talk about tennis on this board, not Ms. Justlookme-ova)! I actually felt sorry for Juju. If she easily beats a decent tour player like Srebotnik yesterday, it's a match 2B proud of. If the opponent is a Q ranked #140, it's quickly forgotten. But Justine probably felt like an executioner doing this job vs. Anna with the world watching, you agree? (Juju, SOMEBODY had to). ;)

BelgianGirl
Jan 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Good luck at the Australian open, Kirsten!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DutchieGirl
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I'm gonna go watch Kirsten today in the juniors! :D I don't think any other Belgian girls were playing today.

Brαm
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Wow! Lucky you!!!!!! *jealous* :o ;)

She won her first match against that Chinese girl :D

Well done & good luck in the 2nd round :bounce:

Belgium = Best
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Sun(CHN) Flipkens(BEL)

1st Serve % 55 % 64 %

Aces 1 5

Double Faults 4 6

Unforced Errors 27 34

Winning % on 1st Serve 52 % 77 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 48 % 38 %

Winners (Including Service) 7 23

Net Approaches 1 of 3 = 33 % 6 of 7 = 86 %

Total Points Won 55 72

Well done - gooooo Kirsten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DutchieGirl
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:46 AM
Yes she played really well! :D She'll play again tomorrow (Wed) so I might go and watch if I get a chance. I only wanted to go to the night session today (wanna see Justine and Wayne) but I don't have a ticket, so I'll have to watch on tv. I'm not going in the day (only some junior doubles and one junior singles that I wanted to see) because I need a rest, and yesterday was horrible weather.

Brαm
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Damn! Kirsten out in singles & doubles :( :sad:

Better luck next time, Kirsten!

Belgium = Best
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Belgium=Best = :sad:

Good luck in Antwerpen. :) :) :) :) :)

Belgium = Best
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Belgium=Best = :sad:

Good luck in Antwerpen. :) :) :) :) :)

DutchieGirl
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:04 PM
lol@Stijn... you're so cute! ;)

*JR*
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by arn
The best junior in the BENELUX is Michaela Krajicek without a doubt! Still very young and already so incredibly good. I finally ventured into Bram's "other hangout" (only South Holland :p) and posted a comment in the Michaela thread there, if you wish to comment on that. BTW, B4 Maastricht, how open were the borders within the Benelux, and were there many "commuters"? Did your stores accept Guilders and vice versa?

DutchieGirl
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:24 AM
is this non tennis or something? ;)

*JR*
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by inkyfan
is this non tennis or something? ;) Inky, when you return from Oz you can always be "confined" to Luxembourg! :p

Brαm
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:59 AM
Kirsten is scheduled to play Stephanie De Laet for a place in the qualis of Antwerp :)

DutchieGirl
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rd878
Inky, when you return from Oz you can always be "confined" to Luxembourg! :p

ehh return where from Oz? I'm an Aussie! :p (Hence the location being Melbourne) ;)

Belgium = Best
Feb 1st, 2003, 01:12 PM
Good luck in the match against Stephanie De Laet , Kirsten!!! :worship:

( dank u Sarah :D )

Brαm
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Main draw WC for Kirsten :bounce:

Good luck!

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:25 AM
graag gedaan Stijn! :p

YAY for Kirsten! I hope she can at least win a match! :D (And Elke too).

BelgianGirl
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Good luck in the maindraw, Kirsten!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:21 PM
she has to play agianst myriam casanova

Elleke
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:22 PM
what do you think about her chances?

arn
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM
zero :o

well, a bit more, like 15% or so. I think they still know each other from juniors, so that can be an advantage

per4ever
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:51 PM
GO KIRSTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see her play against Kim!!!!!

Arn..her chances are way higher then zero...I think 40% :)

Brαm
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:30 PM
15%? Anyway, good luck Kirsten :bounce:

arn
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Nah, 40% is too much. It's the first time Kirsten plays someone this big. And the court really favours Casanova. With a better second serve Kirsten chances would be better, she HAS to improve in that department otherwise she will be punished.

I stick to my 15%. I hopes she plays a great match and learns a lot from it (and wins) :)

Belgium = Best
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:52 PM
I think that Casanova will win.

:bounce: But good luck Kirsten!!!:bounce:

:wavey: :kiss: :wavey:

Brαm
Feb 10th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Casanova vs. Flipkens is LIVE on La Deux now :D

1st time that I see her play :)
Good luck Kirsten!!!!

Btw, Elke, Caroline & Leslie are there to support Kirsten :)

Brαm
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Casanova-Flipkens 6-3 7-5 in 1h 10min!

It was a pretty good match! And it was nice to see Kirsten's game :)
What do you think about the match/her game? What does she have to improve on?

Come-on-kim
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM
She has to improve her service and perhaps adding some power in her game and then, she'll be very good!

Elleke
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:40 PM
yeah indeed a better service and more power is what she needs!
van de site:
Flipkens: "Het doet me plezier dat ik niet weggeslagen ben tegen een top-50 speelster."

DutchieGirl
Feb 11th, 2003, 12:55 AM
yeah, 6-3 7-5 is nothing to be ashamed of! That's a good score for Kirsten!

Brαm
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Pictures of Kirsten Flipkens (1st round Antwerp) :)

http://www.sport.be/proximusdiamondgames/inbeeld/0210/images/foto1.jpg
http://www.sport.be/proximusdiamondgames/inbeeld/0210/images/foto3.jpg

http://www.sport.be/proximusdiamondgames/inbeeld/0210/images/foto4.jpg

I must say, I thought she was a lot more fragile, thinner. She's got pretty big shoulders for a girl of 17 I think! Good legs too!

Maajken
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
omg new fan here :wavey: :D

Brαm
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Wow! Kirsten & Elke have reached the QF in doubles, beating Gubacsi/Perebiynis in the 1st round: 5-7 6-3 6-3 :D
http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2003/februari/elkekirsten.jpg

This was such a nice match to watch!
I must say, at first Kirsten didn't play that well (too many errors & 3 breaks of serve) but in the 2nd & 3rd set, the Belgians rocked!!! :D Elke & Kirsten are such good doubles players & they both form a great team :)
Good luck in the quarters, against Bedanova/Dokic [3] :o

Brαm
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Kirsten & Elke lost to Dokic/Bedanova 3-6 4-6! It was a pretty good match, they fought really well and the atmosphere in the stadion was great too! :D

Definitely a great week for both girls!

Next tournament is ITF-Buchen ($10,000).

arn
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Well played Kirsten in this tournament!!! :) :) :)
I'm very happy for her :)

Belgium = Best
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Kirsten, you played well in Antwerp :bounce: :kiss: :bounce:

Brαm
Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Ouch, pretty bad week for Kirsten :sad:

1st round loss in singles so NO points for this week :(
QF loss in singles, due to a walk-over :(

Let's hope next week will be better, when she plays the Bayerische Hallenmeisterschaften in Germany :)

Brαm
Mar 1st, 2003, 08:00 PM
Another bad result: as the 6th seed, she lost in the 1st round of the Bayerische Meisterschaften, to a Dutch qualifier :(
Dunno about the doubles results...

C'mon Kirsten! Better luck in your next tournament!!

Elleke
Mar 1st, 2003, 08:36 PM
What's her next tournament?

Brαm
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM
I have no idea :confused:
I think she's taking some time off to work on her game.

Anyway, I hope she'll be back soon :D

Wimanna
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:59 PM
Oops...I thought I told this already, but...
...I saw Kirsten a couple of weeks ago on a national Motocross in Leopoldsburg. I was surprised to see her there...she looked really great. But I was in a hurry (my nephew was racing at that time) and passed her on the run. I only said "Hey Kirsten"...she smiled...(surprised someone noticed her there :p )

Brαm
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Wim :)

After taking 1 month off, she's back this week. She's playing the Grade 1 tournament of Umag, Croatia :D

Welcome back to her, & good luck!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

katrientje
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM
good luck kirsten!

DutchieGirl
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Good luck in Umag Kirsten! :D

katrientje
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:02 PM
some pictures from antwerp with elke clijsters

Brαm
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Thank you, Katrien ;)

Kirsten lost in the 3rd round of the Grade 1 tournament of Umag, Croatia. She lost in 3 sets (6-4 in the 3rd) to the eventual winner of the tournament, so it's nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Good luck in Firenze next week! :D :D

Brαm
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Oh doubles title for Kirsten :D:D
Congratulations!!!!! :bounce:

I hope there will be some new pictures soon!

Belgium = Best
Apr 17th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Give me a K!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me an I!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me an R!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me an S!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me a T!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me an E!!!!!! :bounce:
Give me an N!!!!!! :bounce:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KIRSTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Elleke
Apr 19th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Natalia KOLAT (POL) vs Kirsten FLIPKENS (BEL)
she plays doubles with Sanja ANCIC (CRO)

Brαm
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks Elke :kiss:
How was Croatia? :wavey:

Elleke
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:35 PM
:) zaalig! alleen véél te lang rijden!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:41 PM
http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/images/biogs/a_35013263.jpg
:)

Elleke
Apr 20th, 2003, 05:31 PM
thanks !

Elleke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:18 PM
éh 'k wist nie dat kirsten in zo reclame op tv meespeelde? ben ik gewoon laat om dat op te merken ofzo :o?! btw wie is dat ander meiske dan tegen wie ze zo speelt? ook een juniore?

Brαm
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:49 PM
Speelt Kirsten mee in een reclame?? Voor welk product? Op welke zender?

IK weet van niks :confused:

Elleke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:56 PM
lol kheb het eigenlyk nog alleen maar op :o Rob en vitaya enzo gezien ('k kijk nie naar die zenders ze maar kwas zo aan't zappen en ineens zag'k da?) en het is zo voor delta lloyd en ze speelt daar dan zo tennis en ze wint zo een punt en dan uh roept ze zo yes denk ik haha! en die andere dju! ok sorry :o

Brαm
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Ah tof, 'k ga ook eens moeten uitkijken dan! :D
Btw wat is "Rob"? :confused:

Leuk dat Kirsten daar ook wat centjes mee kan verdienen (allez dat denk ik toch..) :)

Elleke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:20 PM
ah ROB Téééééévééé! haha! dat is van Brabant het nieuws enzo.. maar dan zal dat ook wel op andere zenders zijn.. want dat heeft niks met Brabant alleen te maken enzo..

Wimanna
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Idd, is ook op andere regionale zenders, zoals RTV bij ons ;) Ik heb het ook al gezien dus ;)

Brαm
May 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Ik heb 't nog altijd niet gezien...
Ik moet dringend naar Vitaya of WTV beginnen kijken :p

Go Kirsten :bounce:
Misschien mag ze ooit wel Sabine & Justine opvolgen en een reclame voor Danette maken :D ;)

carot
Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Kirsten zegt in de krant dat ze geen nieuwe Kim of Justine is, en dat haar ambitie top honderd is in singles gecombineerd met een carrière in doubles zodat ze van tennis haar broodwinning kan maken.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Sorry to intrude on you guys :)

Kirsten was wearing "that Nike" kit in RG Juniors yesteday too ;)

http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI5_02062003-094206-Full.JPG

wish she had got an easier draw, poor Kirsten :sad:
she had to qualify as well.

Wimanna
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Idd, again a shit draw @ RG.....didn't she play topseed Widjaja last year in the first round? Losing in 3 sets, 7-5 in the third?

Elleke
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:44 PM
That was Elke It hink
Kirsten lost last year to Su-Wei Hsieh 16 46

Brαm
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:45 PM
She played really well tho, winning the 1st set etc. Losing to Douchevina is nothing to be ashamed of :)

I also hope she'll reach the top-100, but of course she'll have to work hard. *fingers crossed* :bounce:

Better luck in doubles :D:D :kiss:

Wimanna
Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:34 PM
That was Elke It hink
Kirsten lost last year to Su-Wei Hsieh 16 46

Oops, you're right, tnx ;)

Elleke
Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:37 PM
http://www.sport.be/fotospecial/41/7.jpg

Brαm
Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Aww thanks, great picture! :cool: :D

carot
Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Great pic indeed :D

per4ever
Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Kirsten :hearts: she's such a cutie ;)

Brαm
Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:46 PM
Kirsten Flipkens BEL / Anna-Lena Groenefeld GER lost 5-7 6-2 4-6 to Katerina Bondarenko / Heidi El Tabakh EGY :sad: :(

Good luck at Wimbledon Kirsten :bounce:

carot
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:42 AM
they got that last pic in the newspaper :D well in b/w of course ;)

CSB
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:06 PM
I was wondering: Is she playing wimbledon, and how is she doing????

I'm probably really stupid, but i really don't know
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

kirstenfan
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Kirsten is in the semifinals of roehampton and I think she will play wimbledon
flipper joe ruuuuuuuuuuulleeeeeee on grass :worship:

Elleke
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:52 AM
she's in the final ;)

Elleke
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Thursday 26th June
11:00am After a rainy start the courts opened up with all four semifinalists and two rounds of Wimbledon qualifying.
It was a battle of all proportions in the girls singles semifinal between Kirsten Flipkens and Nicole Vaidisova. The sheer physical effort and importance of the occasion made it so intense at times, that both girls let their emotions show on court.

The match was nearly two hours old, and one set all, when Kirsten called for the trainer to attend to her hamstring and quads. "I couldn't move anymore," said Kirsten. "And I wanted to win so badly." However the massage did the trick as she came out rejuvenated and broke in the third game of the third set and held to lead 4-1. "I usually end up losing in the third, and I didn't want this to happen again."

Nicole showed emotional frustration at the changeover, but they may have been tears of resolve, as she immediately broke back and held to level at 4 games all.

"I started thinking what am I doing wrong here," said Kirsten. "She was just playing aggressive and going for every point."

The quality of the tennis was of a very high class as both girls won most of their points with winners. Nicole may be a tall girl, but she can get down as well as anyone for the low bounces and she has a big reach to attack the net, but the diminutive Belgian would not give up.

Kirsten broke to lead 5-4 and at 40-30 had her first match point on her own serve, but the drop shot slid on her own side of the net. This time it was Kirsten who shed tears of frustration. "I said to myself 'why didn't I take the match point? Why did I try the drop shot?' I could have played it down the line."

Despite the disappointment and the loss of that game, Kirsten held it together and broke again to go up 6-5. This time she won the match on her third match point when Nicole dumped a high backhand floater into the net. "I couldn't expect that she would miss that easy volley," said Kirsten. "I am so happy to have won."

Elleke
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:54 AM
and also in the final of doubles :D

~|Naomi|~
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Well done Kirsten and good luck for your finals :bounce: :bounce:

sanstamtam
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Congrats kirsten :bounce: and good luck for the finale of the doubles

Come-on-kim
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Congrats Kirsten!

Wimanna
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Kirsten lost to A Baker 6-7 (1) 2-6 :sad:

but she won the doublesfinal: Flipkens /Krajicek (3) - Azarenka/Havartsova 7-6 (4) 6-4 :bounce:

BelgianGirl
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Good tournament for her! :D

kirstenfan
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:59 AM
a good week for kirsten , too bad she lost in the final :sad: ,but she won the doubles :bounce:
now try to win wimbledon ;) anyway, good luck flipper(and the other belgians!!!) :worship:

Brαm
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah, amazing run there! :D
Well done girl!!!! :bounce: :kiss:

Good to see so many fans in here :)

Belgium = Best
Jun 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Go Kirsten!!!!! :D

goed gespeeld!!! :yippee:

arn
Jun 29th, 2003, 11:46 AM
En nu dat herhalen op Wimbledon ;) ;)

Belgium = Best
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
:yippee:

Belgium = Best
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:35 AM
Go Kirsten !! :yippee:

~|Naomi|~
Jul 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Congrats to Kirsten for beating the top seed Rao. Does anyone know what her rank will be post wimbledon?? Hopefully top 20 :) If I'm not mistaken Rao beat Elke last year at US Open so a nice revenge for Kirsten on behalf of her friend and compatriot :)

Also I looked at the doubles ranks and if she plays well at wimbly and then defends her US points I think she has a great shot at getting junior doubles world champ

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 03:46 PM
http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2003/juli/flipkens.jpg

AntennA
Jul 4th, 2003, 03:55 PM
another picture

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 03:55 PM
http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI1_03072003-212329-Full.JPG
Flipkens flips over Ivanovic to set up Rao showdown By Eleanor Preston

Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) admits that her hot streak of form at Wimbledon this week has surprised even her. The 17-year-old is an accomplished doubles player and has an enviable serve but until she played her first match in last week’s Wimbledon warm up tournament in Roehampton, she had never set foot on a grass court. Yet she seems to have taken to the lawns of SW19 as though she was born to play on them. Thursday saw her battle past Ana Ivanovic beating the Yugoslavian 2-6 6-3 6-2 in a match played over two days. The win earned Flipkens a place in the quarter-finals and suggested she can go even further even though she has a tough task in the last eight in the shape of No.1 seed Sunitha Rao (USA), who beat Eden Marama (NZL) 6-4 7-6.

“People had been saying to me for weeks that I would play good on grass but I had never played on it before last week. Then suddenly I got to the final in Roehampton and I’m playing well here, so I guess they were right,” said Flipkens, laughing. “Doing well at Roehampton gave me a lot of confidence and I realised that I could use my slice and my serve a lot. I needed that today because Ivanovic has really good returns.”

Flipkens says she doesn’t want to get ahead of herself though. The happy-go-lucky teenager is far too sensible for that. “The most important thing is to take confidence from playing well but not to get too satisfied or think that I don’t need to work,” she said. Flipkens’ win came despite yet more showers which detained her and Ivanovic overnight and she admitted that experience helped her get through. “I have been through that before during a tournament in Croatia, when we were stopped overnight. I was so nervous all evening that by the time I came to the court the next day I was too tired to play. I knew not to make that mistake again. Last night I slept really well even though it was on my mind and I was focussed from the moment I woke up.”

Flipkens amused herself during the rain delay by chatting and playing cards with her friend and doubles partner Kristina Czafikova, but admitted that rain delays can be dull for everyone. “They are so boring,” she said, “but at least we can talk and joke around.” She and Czafikova have never played together before and, since this is Czafikova’s last junior tournament, they will not join forces again until both have fully turned professional. “This is the first and last time but it’s been great, even though we have had to wait around because of the rain,” said Flipkens. “We’re both the boss in the team but most of all we have fun. I think you learn more when you are enjoying yourself.”

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:02 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_11_flipkens_01_ps.jpg
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_11_flipkins01_ps.jpg

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Flipkens Knocks Out Top Seed

Friday, July 4, 2003

It seems that ladies' tennis in Belgium does not start and end with Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne. Seventeen-year old Kirsten Flipkens also hails from there and if her display at Wimbledon this year is anything to go by, her compatriots had better watch their backs.

Having disposed of the fifth seed in the second round of the Girls' Singles, Flipkens took just over an hour to cause another upset when she beat America's Sunitha Rao, the No. 1 seed, 6-3, 6-2, in the quarter-finals.

Both Rao and Flipkens began tentatively, each unable to hold their first service games. Flipkins served up a storm at 1-1 leaving Rao few answers to a barrage of four fine serves. Her returning was also impressive as she quickly gained the break in the following game.

Both players held serve for 4-2, before a few close line calls enabled Rao to recapture the break from a disgruntled Flipkens.

A double fault and an unforced error on crucial points on Rao's serve meant the American could not level out the first set. Instead Flipkens took the advantage once more and eventually won the set when her net approaches left Rao, who seemed fixed to the baseline, despairing.

By taking her chances, even on the big points, and varying her shots with drop shots and stop volleys, Flipkens gained an early advantage in the second set. Rao looked set to regain the break at 3-1, when Flipkens faced two break points but, astonishingly, the Belgian pulled out a huge serve to save the first while an equally impressive forehand took the game back to deuce. Two big serves followed, enabling Flipkens to go 4-1 up.

At 5-1, Rao managed to hold her serve for the second time in the set, but it was too little, too late as Flipkins kept her nerve to serve out the match.

No doubt Rao will be taking heed of the advice belted out of the speakers in nearby Aorgangi Park, for it was Frank Sinatra's rendition of That's Life.

Flipkins now faces the fourth seed, Jarmila Gajdosova of Slovakia who put out Tatiana Golovin in three sets, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.

Written by Fiona Roberts

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Alisa Kleybanova is so young that some of the ballboys and girls at SW19 are older than her. At 13 years and 11 months, she is the youngest competitor in any event at Wimbledon 2003.

But when the Russian walks on court, it's clear she is no novice -- her right elbow is strapped in the manner of a battle-hardened veteran, her grunt is refined and her fist-shaking is practised, and she is already the fifth-ranked junior in the world.

However, Kleybanova learnt that 17-year-olds do not like losing to 13-year-olds, no matter how hyped their credentials. Belgium's feisty Kirsten Flipkens defeated her in a long, tense second-round match 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5.

Flipkens should probably have been seeded, given she made the final of last week's lead-up grasscourt tournament at Roehampton. Her compact service action and willingness to go to the net at the right opportunities puts her ahead of many of her peers.

So does her uncompromising on-court attitude. If she thinks she has had a bad line call, or played a poor shot, she does not let the matter pass. The Belgian queried several calls during the match, and was so upset at one call late in the third set that she asked for the referee.

Kleybanova had a game point on her serve for 5-4 when her cap fell off during a rally. Flipkens asked for a let to be called but the umpire ruled that she would not have reached Kleybanova's shot.

So incensed was Flipkens that she did not sit down at the change of ends. When it was clear the score would not change, she resumed court and channelled her anger into the ball.

The move worked. She took the next three games by keeping her shots deep and close to the lines as the tiring Kleybanova began to fade in the gathering gloom on Court 14.

Kleybanova, already 5ft 7in and growing (and three inches taller than Flipkens), will surely have many more opportunities at junior Wimbledon. Her impressive groundstrokes, tactical nous and preparedness to fight -- she took the second set in a tiebreak despite surrendering a 5-2 lead -- are healthy assets.

For the moment, though, it is Flipkens' turn. She now meets the unseeded Yugoslavian Ana Ivanovic in the round of 16.

Elleke
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:05 PM
another one..
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_11_flipkens_02_ps.jpg

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:05 PM
I saw her matches vs Kleybanova and vs Ivanovic

she plays really great on the grass and moves well too, with great touches around net, half-volley pick ups

arn
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
:D thanX for posting the articles! :kiss:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:47 PM
wow Kirsten plays on Court 1 tomorrow for her semi vs Gajdosova (its gonna be really tough)

last yrs semis and even final weren't on this big courts (thanx to really bad weather)

go Kirsten tomorrow ;)

katrientje
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Well done Kirsten!!! :-)

Elleke
Jul 5th, 2003, 09:08 AM
http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI3_04072003-194755-Full.JPG
In the girls’ competition Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) pulled off another shock by knocking out top seed Sunitha Rao (USA), beating the American 6-3 6-2.

”Even in the knock-up I knew I was playing good,” said Flipkens. “I was so relaxed out there, there was background noise and I was singing along. Everything was so smooth until I got to 6-3, 5-2 up, 0-30, then I suddenly felt nervous. I had to concentrate and calm down again.”

Lien
Jul 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Go Kirsten!

Brαm
Jul 5th, 2003, 11:02 AM
So many articles & pictures!! :D
THANKS!!!!!!! :kiss:

Somebody should make a website about Kirsten :angel:

Fieke
Jul 5th, 2003, 01:07 PM
http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2003/juli/flipkens.jpg

AntennA
Jul 5th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Artikel over Kirsten in De Standaard van vandaag

PORTRET. Halve finaliste Juniorentornooi Wimbledon Kirsten Flipkens
,,In schaduw van Kim en Justine''

WIMBLEDON - Kirsten Flipken (17) speelt vandaag de halve finale bij de junioren nadat ze eerste reekshoofd Sunitha Rao uitschakelde. Ze kan de eerste Belgische junior worden sinds Nancy Feber, exact tien jaar geleden, die op Wimbledon het enkelspel wint. In het spoor ook van Kim en Justine? ,,Neen. Ik word nooit top-drie.''

,,Eigenlijk moest dit mijn laatste juniorentornooi worden'', zegt Flipkens. De Kempense denkt er echter sterk over om ook de US Open nog te spelen. ,,Ik zal enorm stijgen op de juniorenranking. Als ik het jaar in de top-tien eindig, kan me dat misschien wildcards opleveren voor 50.000-dollartornooien. Dat vergemakkelijkt mijn entree in het profcircuit.''

Flipkens is een talent, wordt gekoesterd door Nike en de VTV. Binnenkort neemt ze de eerste plaats op de wereldranglijst van het dubbelspel bij de junioren over van... Elke Clijsters. Maar Flipkens staat wel met beide voeten stevig op de grond, ook na haar overwinning tegen Rao (WTA 167).

,,Ik blijf erbij dat ik wil proberen te leven van mijn tennis. Dat betekent meedraaien in de tophonderd. Voor de carrière van Els Callens teken ik meteen. Dat er veel druk zal zijn op de nieuwe lichting ? Er komt simpelweg geen volgende generatie na Kim en Justine. Ik groei in hun schaduw en dat bevalt me prima. Waarom zou ik mezelf opzadelen met de illusie dat ik topdrie kan worden?''

05/07/2003 (fdpt)
©Copyright De Standaard

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Beiden hebben 1 set gewonnen en Kirsten staat nu 3-2 achter met een break :(

C'mon Kirsten!!! Keep fighting!! :bounce:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
she comes back to 4-all :D

Take the next 2 games!!!

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:31 PM
5-5 , come on Kirsten ;)

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:34 PM
nooo, she got broken :sad:

*6-5

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Keep fighting Kirsten!!!

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:37 PM
0-40 :)

... and the love game to break back! :bounce:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:38 PM
6-6!!!

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM
40-40
ad-40

7-6 :)

Juju_fan
Yay, she can do it :bounce:

arn
Nu breken!!!! :bounce:

ßcoene
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Go Kirsten :bounce:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:44 PM
40-0 :(
40-15 :)

7-7

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM
15-40 :(

Fight!!!!

7-8 :(

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Damned, 7-8* :(

ßcoene
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Now she must break.

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:48 PM
30-0 :sad:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM
30-0 :( :( :(

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:50 PM
30-30 :bounce:

Juju_fan
she broke, she broke!!!!! :bounce:

ßcoene
:woohoo:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:51 PM
8-8!!!

What a thriller!!!

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:51 PM
lol, this smiley is too funny ;)

ßcoene
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:53 PM
lol, this smiley is too funny ;)

Hopefully I can use it again in a few minutes. :D

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:54 PM
30-15
40-30
40-40 :(

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:55 PM
she saved a break point pfew :)

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:55 PM
ad, nog 1 puntje pakken Kirsten voor dit game!!

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Yes!! 9-8!!

Juju_fan
Yeah, she did it, 9-8 :)

Now, finish off this match! Better hurry up! :p

:angel:

Brαm
2-6 6-4 9-8* :D

She is such a fighter!!!! :eek: :D:D

arn

Omdat het precies geluk brengt ;)

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Kim Clijsters is attending the match with Lleyton!

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Kim Clijsters is attending the match!

How do you know?? Was she on the cam?

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:59 PM
yup

Juju_fan
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/netcam/large/1/000.jpg

arn
40-15 :(
40-30 :)
40-40! :)

Nog 2!!

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Matchpoint!!

Juju_fan
match point!!!!

ßcoene
matchpoint :eek:

arn
40-40 :(

ßcoene
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:01 PM
another matchpoint :)

Juju_fan

time to bring it again lol

arn
tweede matchpunt!!
pak dit Kirsten!!!

Juju_fan
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:02 PM
she did it!!!!!!!

ßcoene
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

arn
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Kirsten won 10-8 :woohoo: :yippee: :woohoo:

well done Kirsten :D :)

Brαm
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:03 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Kirsten in the final of Wimbledon :eek: :D
She must be so happy right now, awww :hug: :D

Well done!! :hearts: :bounce::bounce::bounce:

arn
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:03 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :worship: :worship: :yeah:

BelgianGirl
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Great!!!! :D
I hope she wins the title now (and that we get to see at least some images of her match on tv!) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wimanna
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:18 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::w oohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Well done Flipper :) :bounce:

*JR*
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM
In the girls’ competition Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) pulled off another shock by knocking out top seed Sunitha Rao (USA), beating the American 6-3 6-2.
My high regard for Kirsten for quite awhile now can be vouched for by any number of Belgians, like "the Bram who's not always trying to pretend he's nuts", for example. :p But seriously, the American juniors in their mid/late teens are a sorry lot. (So much so that the former "next in line" after Ashley, Amber Liu, went the college route not to the WTA). In a couple of years, my Benelux friends, we'll have a couple of girls who are closer in age to Michaela who should provide some serious competition for her. ;)

Wimanna
Jul 5th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) won a three-set, 36-game marathon to outlast Jarmila Gajdosova (SVK) 2-6 6-4 10-8 and earn a place in her first ever Grand Slam girls’ final. Playing on a nearly full Court No.1, which holds 11,429 people, Flipkens and Gajdosova served up a treat which at times threatened to eclipse the Williams sisters final being played on Centre Court at the same time.

“I have no words for this, it’s awesome,” said Flipkens. “To play in front of 12,000 is amazing. As soon as I knew I was on Court 1 I was telling everyone. I have played in front of a big crowd before in Antwerp but this was so special, being on grass and being in a semi-final even though that was at home.”

As well as the massive crowd roaring her on, Flipkens also boasted a supporter’s camp packed with tennis’ biggest names. Women’s World No.2 and fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters and her boyfriend, 2002 Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt, both shouted encouragement to Flipkens, as did Hewitt’s parents Glynn and Cherilyn and of course Flipken’s own mother. Flipkens plays doubles with Clijsters’ younger sister Elke and says the two-time French Open finalist is like a big sister to her, too. “I really appreciate that Kim and Lleyton came to watch me,” said Flipkens. “It shows that they are so normal, but then I knew that anyway. It was so nice to have them there. Kim was the first person I saw when I came off court and we both had tears in our eyes.”

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 5th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Kirsten pics from Roehampton all taken by Rowland Goodman ( i know the guy and he's very nice)
they on tripod website

http://photo910.tripod.com/gkopihtm/f1617g7.htm

other pics from other players there as well

Kimmy1023
Jul 6th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Feisty Flipkens into Final

Saturday, July 5, 2003

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_11_flipkens_01_ps.jpg
© AELTC / ProSport

Belgium's Kim Clijsters is so easy-going and laidback that some people think she is too sweet for her own good, especially when the killer instinct is required in big matches. Belgium's Kirsten Flipkens will never have that problem.

If the 17-year-old right-hander was any more intense on court, she might combust. She pumps her fists after most points, she argues over line calls, she throws her racket if she drops her serve, and she scraps for almost every shot.

It may not be the most attractive attitude, especially from a junior, but at Wimbledon this week it has clearly worked. Flipkens is through to the Girls' Singles final after showing her mettle by outlasting the fourth seed, Jarmila Gajdosova, 2-6, 6-4, 10-8 on the No. 1 Court today.

It was a tribute to the Belgian's courage, for she looked down and out several times during the see-sawing final set. Gajdosova's heavy forehand took her close to victory, but Flipkens' retrieving and more creative play ensured she won the match.

Urged on by a large support contingent that included countrywoman Kim Clijsters and her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt, Flipkens showed enterprise by coming to the net and mixing up her shots after she fell behind 4-2 in the third set.

At that point her Slovakian opponent looked more likely to win, thanks to her powerful, if one-dimensional, baseline game. This year Gajdosova has been alternating between the junior and open tours and that experience seemed to be paying off -- she laughed off her errors as Flipkens berated herself for her mistakes.

But Flipkens would not be denied, breaking back in the eighth game to level at 4-all. Still, Gajdosova kept going for her shots, and broke Flipkens twice to lead 6-5 and 7-6. The Belgian's low-toss, compact service action is surprisingly effective, but it was beginning to falter in the heat of such a big match.

Yet it was the Slovakian who could not close out the semi-final. The first time she served for it she was broken to love, spraying her shots. The second time she led 30-15, but then served two nervy double-faults, and Flipkens pounced over the next point. After that it was almost inevitable that she was broken in the very next game. The effort clearly took its toll -- Gajdosova was in tears after the match, but shared a warm embrace with Flipkens.

Tomorrow Flipkens will meet the Russian qualifier Anna Tchakvetadze -- another player who does not lack intensity on a tennis court -- in the final.

Written by Darrin Farrant

~|Naomi|~
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Wow well done Kirsten she is on fire :bounce:

So nice to hear Kim was there to watch, they are pretty good friends. I so hope she wins the final, cause then she could go to the wimbledon ball :D

Good Luck Kirsten :kiss:

flipperke
Jul 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
hellow everybody, flipper here (kirsten)
thanx alot for all the stuff that has been written here.i appreciate it very much.i am playing 2nd match after 13h.after the boys final...
keep fingers crossed and ill try to kick some ass!!
thanx alot mates.
flip

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Good luck Kirsten!
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you !!!

sanstamtam
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Good luck :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM
:D
Good luck ;)

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
In view of their record over the past week, it wasn't entirely unexpected to find the two unseeded players who have caused such a stir now actually contesting the Girls' final. Anna Tchakvetadze, the 16-year-old from Moscow, and Belgium's Kirsten Flipkens, 17, have certainly torn up the form book and to forecast tomorrow’s winner of the Girls' Championships, one might as well flip a coin.

Tchakvetadze is the first qualifier to reach the final and she has proven her fighting qualities with some excellent results, including the dismissal of four seeds, the latest being Finn Emma Laine, the No. 11 seed.

Her semi-final victory was only the second match this week where she has not been taken to three sets, so her arrival in the final has consisted, in the main, of grinding it out to a conclusion. She will have also gained a lot of experience of the grasscourt surface, having been on court for seven hours and 32 minutes.

Surprisingly, Flipkens has been on court longer by some 18 minutes and can match the Russian in the number of three-setters she has played. She has taken out three seeds during her run through the draw, including two favourites, the top seeded American Sunitha Rao and, in the semis, the No.4 seed Jarmila Gajdosova. The former she easily defeated but the latter was a battle, with the deciding set going to 10-8.

Comparing the two statistically doesn't help either, for neither seems to have the advantage on serve. Flipkens, a quarter-finalist at last year’s US Open Juniors and Runner-Up at Roehampton last week, has the faster delivery at 105 mph, as opposed to the 100 mph effort her finals opponent has recorded. Their average service speed, however, is the same at 87 mph.

Both are also happy on the baseline and follow the modern practice of striking the ball as hard as possible.

But in terms of ranking, Flipkens, at 28 in the world, outrates Tchakvetadze by 53 places so one would favour the Belgian who, in her white shorts and sun visor, brings back memories of Nancy Richey in her heyday.

carot
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Good luck Kirsten! :)

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM
who 's Nancy Richey :o..?

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
who 's Nancy Richey :o..?

She's a former Roland Garros winner.
In this picture she's the lady at the right

http://www.wm.edu/tenniscenter/Pratt.jpg

More info about her: http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?playerid=RIN001&tour=WTA

Wimanna
Jul 6th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Good luck Kirsten!!!!!!!! Kick that Tchackvetadze's ass :D ;) :bounce:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:43 PM
She just started to serve :)

1-0* :)

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:47 PM
*1-1

15-15
30-15
30-30
30-40 :(

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:49 PM
2-1* :d

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
0-30 :)
0-40 :D

Break her!!!! :bounce:

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Komaaaan!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:53 PM
40-40 :( :(

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM
:(! fight! break!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM
nieuw breakpunt!

en weer weg :(

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM
*2-2

angele87
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Did anybody save the netcam of Kim watching yesterday?

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:59 PM
3-2* :)

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
I didn't..
Komaan Kirsten!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:05 PM
4-3*

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:06 PM
nope, I didn't save it, sorry

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Love game!
now break her.. C'mon!!!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
5-4*

angele87
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Was the netcam of both Lleyton and Kim?

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:11 PM
setpoint Kirsten 5-4, 40-30 !!!

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM
some netcam pics of Kirsten

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM
no idea..
Komaan Kirsten

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM
setpunt :)

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM
damn, also saved :(

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:14 PM
6-4 :d

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:15 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:15 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:17 PM
damn, was deze smiley al vergeten ;)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:17 PM
more..

Wimanna
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ah, hier zitten alle Belgen :D Ik vond al dat het dood was in de Wimbledon topic van de Juniors :D

:woohoo: Hup Kirsten!!!!! Take the second set!!!!! :)

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Allezzz!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
0-3*

damn, fight Kirsten!!!!!

I guess she will tank this one

Brαm
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Oh tof dat je nog eens gepost hebt, Kirsten! ;) :wavey:

Komaan, nog 1 set te gaan!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Wimanna
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Oei, it's not going that well anymore...keep fighting girl!!!!! We know you're the best ;) :bounce:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Oei, it's not going that well anymore...keep fighting girl!!!!! We know you're the best ;) :bounce:

I'll second that!!! :D

ruben
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM
2 breakpoints

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM
3*-5

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM
2 setpoints :(

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:51 PM
and more..

arn
6-4 3-6

Elleke
64 36

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
damn, 6-4, 3-6 :(

Fight Kirsten... You can do it!!!

Hopefully Federer will end his match soon, so Kirsten's match can be televised !

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
she is not looking very happy in those pics :(
I hope she didn't hurt herself!

Brαm
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Komaan Kirsten!!! Pak die 3e set en de titel!!! :):)

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM
1*-0 :D good start!

Wimanna
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Komaan Kirsten!!!!! De derde set is van U he!!!!!!! ;) :bounce:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Yes, she broke straight away!! :)

ruben
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:56 PM
2-0*

arn
2-0 :d

Brαm
Spijtig dat we daar niet kunnen zijn, om haar aan te moedigen!!!! Da zou echt tof zijn voor haar :D

Allez Kirsten!!!!!! :bounce:

Elleke
2-0*

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Nu nog 4 keer serve houden! C'mon kirsten!!!

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Spijtig dat we daar niet kunnen zijn, om haar aan te moedigen!!!! Da zou echt tof zijn voor haar :D

Allez Kirsten!!!!!! :bounce:

idd, als ik kon zou ik zeker gaan! :D

Brαm
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Hopelijk speelt ze deze zomer in Koksijde/Westende, dan ga ik zeker!!!! :D

Komaan Kirsten!!! :bounce:

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM
damn, breakbackpoint :(

arn
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
2-2

Elleke
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM
:( fight!

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Komaan !!!

AntennA
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM

Canvas zal match van Kirsten volgen over een paar minuten!