PDA

View Full Version : The Gorgeous Tower of Topsin: Andrea Temesvari

Rollo
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Andrea Temesvari was the queen of topsin and glamour for a short period in the early 1980s. Her best year was 1983, when she burst into the world's top ten in the rankings by capturing 4 titles.

The tempestous Hungarian was noted for her heavy topsin and heavy use of makeup with the headband twist common in the early 1980s. Sadly she never lived up to her potential in grand slams, being perhaps the only world top tenner never to reach the quartefinals of a major. She also had several injuries, a parting of the ways with her intense father, and finally marriage and motherhood.

Nonetheless Andrea acomplished more than most ever will on the world tennis circuit. She captured a grand slam title in doubles (with Martina Navratilova at the French in 1986) and was the first Hungarian female in the world top ten since Zsusi Kormoczy.

Here's to the gorgeous Tower of Topsin-Andrea Temesvari.

Rollo
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
An interview at this year's French Open.

Andrea Temesvari: ''I think Nadalís cute''
Friday, June 3, 2011
By Benjamin Adler

To share a good bottle of wine with?
Rafael Nadal and Francesca Schiavone. Both of them are great people, and really down to earth. Just the right kind of people to share a bottle of wine with.

To take to your favourite restaurant?
I'd take Yannick Noah to a Hungarian restaurant in Budapest. I'd like him to try some of the local specialties. We're a similar age, I always got on well with him. He's funny, and great company. And he won at the French Open, so I could ask him what he thinks about the French public - why they're so hungry for a French victory.

To accompany you to the Cannes film festival?
Someone good looking, that's for sure (laughs). That's a tough question. Lucky my husband isn't here (she laughs, and thinks for a while). I can think of a lot of players who look good but aren't that interesting. Well, I'll say Nadal, he's cute.

To go out on the town with in Las Vegas?
Andre Agassi. He lives there, so I'd love him to show me the locals' Las Vegas. And then Steffi would be there too. I got on really well with Andre at Bollettieri Academy, he's such a nice guy.

As master of ceremonies at your wedding?
Henri Leconte. He's funny, but also generous, nice and very considerate, if he knows it's important to you.

To take to a football match?
Can I say David Beckham? (laughs) Who plays well?

Gael Monfils!
Well, I'd go with him then. And it would be a chance to get to know him.

To interview if you were a journalist?
Nadal. I'd like to know how he became such an amazing player while staying such a nice guy. I have a tennis academy in Hungary, and I'd like all the young players who want to go pro to see what attitude you need to have, on and off court. That's what I'd talk to him about.

To go to the beach with?
Noah. He's so easy going. He played in an exhibition match in Budapest one day, and I loved the way he was never stressed. He's cool, all the time. He knows how to seize the day. He loves life.

To take to see your favourite band?
I'd go and see Seal or Prince with Nadal.

To play mixed doubles with?
Leander Paes. Martina played with him, and she said he was a real gentleman who respects female tennis players. That's something really important for women players. And he's a great doubles player too, he helps you when you're down, according to Martina.

To go and see stand-up comedy with?
Djokovic. He's great. My grand-daughter asked if she could have a photo with him and he was really nice. That sort of thing says a lot about him.

To open a bar with?
With Noah, in Miami.

To be your spokesperson?
Nadal.

To talk about life with and change the world?
Martina (Navratilova). She's a really good friend, and she's very intelligent.

Rollo
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
If the article is correct she's a grandmother!

There was also a good picture on the RG site, but I cannot locate it.

tommystar
Jun 9th, 2011, 06:17 PM
If the article is correct she's a grandmother!

Impossible, no way, her oldest child is 10 years old.
There must be an incorrect translation, or if the interview was made in English Andrea didn't find the correct word, it can be her cousin. (The Hungarian term of this word is almost same as the "grand".)

calou
Jun 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
]In French it is :ma petite fille ,so it means my young or my little daughter

Sumarokov-Elston
Jun 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Andrea Temesvari was the queen of topsin and glamour for a short period in the early 1980s. Her best year was 1983, when she burst into the world's top ten in the rankings by capturing 4 titles.

The tempestous Hungarian was noted for her heavy topsin and heavy use of makeup with the headband twist common in the early 1980s.

Here's to the gorgeous Tower of Topsin-Andrea Temesvari.

I always thought Andrea's strokes were kind of ugly - a sort of Tracy Austin with a bit more topspin. But she certainly more than made up for it in the glamour stakes. Who can forget the furore she and Darling Carling caused in their third-round clash at Wimbledon in 1983? The press had a field day with their "battle of the babes" headlines...

tommystar
Sep 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Today I was watching a time-code-tape of the 1983 Fila Europa Cup Final from Hittfeld, Germany.
Our National Library has a copy of that match, with German commentary, unfortunatelly it cannot be borrowed or copied.
TemesvŠri beat Eva Pfaff 6-4 6-2. It was quite interesting to watch for me I haven't seen Andrea playing in her prime a whole match. Temesvari was the top seed of the tournament, lost only 12 games in her way till the final, even double-bagelled Beth Herr in one of early rounds. She was in full control her win was never in doubt, she was very powerful from the baseline, her topspin forehand landed very often around the lines, and passed many times when Pfaff tried to come into the net. The commentator said she will be a future champion, even Pfaff said after the match she did beat anybody with that kind of play.

PamShriver
Sep 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Temesvari needed a lot of discipline to play the type of game she played. Her game was identical to Borg's and we all know how much practice and concentration went into his game. That heavy topspin style needs to be consistently worked on so that the length of shot stays deep enough and that is a challenge. I attribute the difficulty of maintaining that style of play over the long haul as a reason for the incredible up and downs of her career.

Kathy Horvath
Sep 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I always liked watching Andrea Temesvari play though in the UK we did not see her much as her heavy topspin game did not suit the grass courts of wimbeldon. She had a fairytale match with Carling Bassett in 1983 and some good results indoors in Brighton. She was one of the few players who took at least a few games off Graf in Graf's rise to power in 1986.
__________________________________________________ _________
Dont forget it was me who stopped Martina getting a calendar year GS in 1983!