PDA

View Full Version : Married in Japan

Halardfan
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:33 AM
Got married this week to my Japanese fiancé in Japan.

It's gonna be a challenging road, finding work here with very limited Japanese, but I'm determined to improve that. Always found Japan an amazing country as a whole, though of course it has it's faults like anywhere.

Any tips for those adapting to the cultural differences moving from country to country can bring? Japan would be among the most challenging in that respect I guess.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Congrats and good luck in Japan!:unsure:

Lin Lin
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
Happy for you:D

Hachiko
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Congratulations. :yeah:

How much time have you spent in Japan?

I never had too much trouble adapting to the cultural differences, partly because I had known about them long before I first came to Japan.

However, in the long term I know it is very difficult as a foreigner to be recognised as part of the Japanese society, no matter how much of the language and culture you know or how well you conform to the Japanese way of life, etiquette and manners. I know this frustrates a lot of foreigners but I suppose it would depend on how well you, personally feel about your own identity. I certainly feel apart of the society and can relate better to the values and customs of Japanese people than those in my own country.

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hey congrats :)

*JR*
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Congratulations, Chris. :)

QIliB436370

McPie
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
congrats :bounce:

Milito22
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
marriage :facepalm: :smooch:

BUBI
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Japanese women :drool:

Congratulations :yeah:

ReboundAce
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Congrats !

ReboundAce
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Congrats !:hearts:

Slammer7
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Good luck and Congratulations. :D

As a Japanophile I say ganbatte kadasai, watch others around you, learn from the Japanese people you respect most. If you show the respect for the custom and tradition of Japan that you obviously have and others can see your love and respect for the the country and it's people it will be appreciated. As Hachiko said a couple of posts ago try to conform/go with the flow, it's not an easy thing, but it will help. :shrug: I hope your new bride and her family help you in this transition and that you one day come to feel as at home in Japan as possible. :yeah:

Super Dave
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Japanese women :drool:

Congratulations :yeah:

This.

And good luck!

PatrickRyan
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
awww Congrats :yeah: :hug:

Crazy Canuck
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Good luck and Congratulations. :D

As a Japanophile I say ganbatte kadasai, watch others around you, learn from the Japanese people you respect most. If you show the respect for the custom and tradition of Japan that you obviously have and others can see your love and respect for the the country and it's people it will be appreciated. As Hachiko said a couple of posts ago try to conform/go with the flow, it's not an easy thing, but it will help. :shrug: I hope your new bride and her family help you in this transition and that you one day come to feel as at home in Japan as possible. :yeah:
This is sound advice. Also, know that you're going to have days, perhaps even entire weeks, where you want to punch Japan in the face. This is normal. Just know that you're eventually going to get through it and then everything will be good again.

I found Japan much, much easier to live in than Korea. At least in Japan, people usually won't be rude to your face ;)

BARBIE
Jun 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Congratulations :D :yeah:

And good luck :yeah:

JN
Jun 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
This is sound advice. Also, know that you're going to have days, perhaps even entire weeks, where you want to punch Japan in the face. This is normal. Just know that you're eventually going to get through it and then everything will be good again.

I found Japan much, much easier to live in than Korea. At least in Japan, people usually won't be rude to your face ;)

From what I know of Japan, there's probably a virtual reality booth where you can do just that. :lol:

Halardfan, Congrats!

Halardfan
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks to everyone who offered good wishes and advice. :)

Just from day to day living in a Japanese apartment, I can see there are things they do better here but also stuff they could do better.

The toilets are fascinating, with a sink and tap atop the cistern, meaning that when you flush you can wash your hands at the same time. Neat! I have been to Japan for relatively short stays in the past, so a possibly permanent stay is much more challenging.

The one obvious employment route would be as a TEFL teacher. Though my grammar knowledge isn't great, I am a native speaker, and have the required degree and a few hours of TEFL training.

Infiniti2001
Jun 6th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Congrats , and good luck with finding a job hon :)

Sam L
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Congrats and good luck! Just become an English teacher first and then find something else if you want.