PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Aegon Classic Birmingham Thread: MARIA'S 4TH WITHDRAWAL OF THE YEAR

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's time for another grass season and it's the time for the 2011 edition of AEGON CLASSIC

http://www.dealofthedaycoventry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/1306329412185.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2011/2/15/1297783223113/Maria-Sharapova-007.jpg

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/AEGON-British-Tennis-Series/AEGON-Classic/

Tier: International
Prize Money: $220,000
Surface: Grass/Outdoors
Tournament Director:
Patrick Hughesman

Break My Rapture
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Li is not around this time. Anything other than a title here will be disappointing for me.

Reptilia
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
This is such a special tourny for Ma$ha. I'd love to see her win it again :awww:

Fool
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Doooooo it. Hopefully the recent results continue. :bounce: :worship: :cheer:

Sharapower
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Doooooo it. Hopefully the recent results continue. :bounce: :worship: :cheer:

Like a loss in the semis?

Fool
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Like a loss in the semis?

like a semi, first in years, in a grand slam on her worst surface?

:shrug:

~MashyOwnThemAll
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Please win this Masha :)

Jack89
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Title 24 please, Maria! :)

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
At least Na is not playing this. She can win it. :rocker2:

Sharapower
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
like a semi, first in years, in a grand slam on her worst surface?

:shrug:

Fool :p

Maria Croft
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
It's about time she wins this again ;)

Shyra
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Li or no Li she needs to win it... to regain the lost MORALE from the RG semi...

Emina.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
I would love to see her lift that trophy too! :inlove:

Let's go, Mash! :cheer:

Sharapower8
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a good feeling :cheer: :cheer:
(well I did have one for RG too though :o)

Break My Rapture
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Seeding Player Nationality
1 Maria Sharapova RUS
2 Marion Bartoli FRA
3 Kaia Kanepi EST
4 Aravane Rezai FRA
5 Shuai Peng CHN
6 Daniela Hantuchova SVK
7 Ekaterina Makarova RUS
8 Sara Errani ITA
9 Roberta Vinci ITA
10 Yaroslava Shvedova KAZ
11 Jie Zheng CHN
12 Ayumi Morita JPN
13 Kimiko Date Krumm JPN
14 Bojana Jovanovski SRB
15 Rebecca Marino CAN
16 Arantxa Parra Santonja ESP
Magdalena Rybarikova SVK
Vania King USA
Maria-Elena Camerin ITA
Alize Cornet FRA
Polona Hercog SLO
Chanelle Scheepers RSA
Kirsten Flipkens BEL
Olga Govortsova BLR
Casey Dellacqua AUS
Anastasia Rodionova AUS
Misaki Doi JPN
Tamira Paszek AUT
Alla Kudryavtseva RUS
Christina Mchale USA
Alison Riske USA
Romina Oprandi ITA
Coco Vandeweghe USA
Andrea Hlavackova CZE
Sandra Zahlavova CZE
Virginie Razzano FRA
Sorana Cirstea ROU
Jill Craybas USA
Sania Mirza IND
Anna Tatishvili GEO
Edina Gallovits-Hall ROU
Heather Watson GBR
Mirjana Lucic CRO

If Maria does not win here, seriously. :hysteric:

Jack89
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
Seeding Player Nationality
1 Maria Sharapova RUS
2 Marion Bartoli FRA
3 Kaia Kanepi EST
4 Aravane Rezai FRA
5 Shuai Peng CHN
6 Daniela Hantuchova SVK
7 Ekaterina Makarova RUS
8 Sara Errani ITA
9 Roberta Vinci ITA
10 Yaroslava Shvedova KAZ
11 Jie Zheng CHN
12 Ayumi Morita JPN
13 Kimiko Date Krumm JPN
14 Bojana Jovanovski SRB
15 Rebecca Marino CAN
16 Arantxa Parra Santonja ESP
Magdalena Rybarikova SVK
Vania King USA
Maria-Elena Camerin ITA
Alize Cornet FRA
Polona Hercog SLO
Chanelle Scheepers RSA
Kirsten Flipkens BEL
Olga Govortsova BLR
Casey Dellacqua AUS
Anastasia Rodionova AUS
Misaki Doi JPN
Tamira Paszek AUT
Alla Kudryavtseva RUS
Christina Mchale USA
Alison Riske USA
Romina Oprandi ITA
Coco Vandeweghe USA
Andrea Hlavackova CZE
Sandra Zahlavova CZE
Virginie Razzano FRA
Sorana Cirstea ROU
Jill Craybas USA
Sania Mirza IND
Anna Tatishvili GEO
Edina Gallovits-Hall ROU
Heather Watson GBR
Mirjana Lucic CRO

If Maria does not win here, seriously. :hysteric:

You forgot Ana Ivanovic. She took a wildcard into Birmingham this week. Will be seeded #4.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
She should win here. :lol: The past 2 years she lost to Na, now she's not playing. The only player I can see Maria having a relatively tough match against is Peng, but she can win. :rocker2:

Mistress of Evil
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
well, time to move on, I guess :shrug: please, win it :awww:

Break My Rapture
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
You forgot Ana Ivanovic. She took a wildcard into Birmingham this week. Will be seeded #4.
Really? :lol: Must've missed that. Well I don't think she'd make this entry list much tougher anyway.

madmax
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Maria's favourite MM event that is...good to see cow shaking off the dust and finally returning on her natural surface. Time for kicking some ass here now:bowdown:

Sharapower
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a good feeling :cheer: :cheer:
(well I did have one for RG too though :o)

Then stop having good feelings :lol:
And your screen name annoys the he'll outta me :p

Maria Croft
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't know, almost everyone she could meet from the QF's on could be tough.

Still, time to hit that next level of consistency and win the tournament here.

Shyra
Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
can't wait for the draw... excited with the TV full coverage

Crux Squall
Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
IF She plays like She did today, She cant win it
All i want is not only the serve, it's the groundstroke. Make opponnent run and run to make winner and winer, It's MARIA, but i dont see her today

Feyd
Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hmm, should I go to this tournament, or not? Decisions, decisions . . .

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
:cheer:

MM_1257
Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
The draw is on Saturday. This is her first tournament on grass after a "difficult" clay season - winning Rome, SF in RG. Not sure she will be in her best when stepping on grass for the first time. I do not expect a victory, but a good run would do her nice. I am more hopeful for Wimbledon this year.

Sharapower8
Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Then stop having good feelings :lol:
And your screen name annoys the he'll outta me :p

Yeah well I've been on this forum with the same name when you weren't there even though you registred before me. And that is my screen name everywhere, on every site and forum :)

And for Birmingham, what would make me the happier woman in the world : Maria baggeling Ana :devil:

Sp!ffy
Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Yes, grass. :worship: I'm so tired of overrated claypova. Grass is her surface....huge serve, blistering groundstrokes...:drool: She's only been able to do well on clay because it gives her time to set up for her shots but then we have annoying grinders/counterpunchers that can do damage against her. I expect nothing less of a Wimbledon win Maria!! :hearts:

DecoTurf
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
NaNa isn't playing ?

Shyra
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
Hmm, should I go to this tournament, or not? Decisions, decisions . . .

if I only lived somewhere near Birmingham or even near England, I wouldn't think twice!

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:58 AM
Maria you better win this . :hysteric:
A QFs here will take her above Vika in the race to YEC.

18majors
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:32 AM
I hope Maria wins Birmingham. She needs to start winning titles.

MaruSharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Let's go Maria! :bigclap:
Even though she had great results over that past few weeks I'm so happy that the clay court season is finally over :o

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
A nice field we have here. Hopefully Maria wins this tournament. I think if she wins it she can be number 5 :angel:.

I want a tough draw for her. She has to beat the top players again, if she wants to gain her form for Wimbledon.

Can't wait :cheer:.

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
A nice field we have here. Hopefully Maria wins this tournament. I think if she wins it she can be number 5 :angel:.

I want a tough draw for her. She has to beat the top players again, if she wants to gain her form for Wimbledon.

Can't wait :cheer:.

She was the finalist here last year,so even she wins the title she will get just 80 points,which is like peanut butter. :lol:
Don't think that will get her to No.5.
But NaNa will lose 280 points. :cheer: Don't think that will be enough though.

Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
^^ Yup. Glad that Birmingham starts right away after RG, so we don't have to wait for too long to see Maria play again. :bounce:

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Maria was 12-2 this year on Clay. :eek: :worship:
How awesome it would be if she is 12-0 on grass this year. :hearts:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
^ The most amazing clay season we had from Maria in a very long time.

Winning Rome and Semis in French is amazing :angel:.

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
^ The most amazing clay season we had from Maria in a very long time.

Winning Rome and Semis in French is amazing :angel:.

Yep.
But still it hurts that she came so close to Career slam and went down to Li Na . :hysteric:
But well at least she didn't bomb out in R2 against Garcia. :angel:
So lots of positives.
Think she likes winning slams in even years only. :lol:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
There's always next year. :) Maria said it herself. She's determined to come back and try to win it in 2012. :hearts:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Yep.
But still it hurts that she came so close to Career slam and went down to Li Na . :hysteric:
But well at least she didn't bomb out in R2 against Garcia. :angel:
So lots of positives.
Think she likes winning slams in even years only. :lol:

I don't know why, but going into the French I never had the belief that Maria would win The French, let alone reaching the Semis, looking at her draw.

But she surprised me, beating a lot of good players on route, and knowing that it just keeps my disappointment away. I am very proud of her really. After seeing Wozniacki and many good players going out before R4 and Maria fighting especially in that match against Garcia, makes me believe that Wimbledon is gonna be hers.

ReboundAce
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
New message from Masha :
Put myself in a position to win the BIG one and came up short!! No excuses!! All the credit to Li Na for playing a great match. I need to get better and keep working. I want to thank all my die hard fans for cheering me on the past 2 weeks. Can't wait to smell the grass!!! :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Oh,well she said our thoughts. :angel:
Maria,the Wimbledon trophy + Birmingham trophy smells better than the grass,how about the trophies? :hearts:

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
New message from Masha :
Put myself in a position to win the BIG one and came up short!! No excuses!! All the credit to Li Na for playing a great match. I need to get better and keep working. I want to thank all my die hard fans for cheering me on the past 2 weeks. Can't wait to smell the grass!!! :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Onto Wimbledon:bounce:

Jack89
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Do you think if Maria won Wimbledon, we would get an epic doodle from her?? :D

I can't remember the last time she wrote a doodle!

Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
New message from Masha :
Put myself in a position to win the BIG one and came up short!! No excuses!! All the credit to Li Na for playing a great match. I need to get better and keep working. I want to thank all my die hard fans for cheering me on the past 2 weeks. Can't wait to smell the grass!!! :hearts::hearts::hearts:Yay, can't wait for Grasspova :angel:

Sharapower
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting that she calls Roland Garros "the BIG one".
Perhaps she actually cares about that elusive *career slam* after all? Or am I reading too much into her words?
I like her humility, accepting the fact that she screwed up that one big time and needs to get better.

Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Interesting that she calls Roland Garros "the BIG one".
Perhaps she actually cares about that elusive *career slam* after all? Or am I reading too much into her words?
I like her humility, accepting the fact that she screwed up that one big time and needs to get better.I agree with this. It's actually quite hard for her to not care. I mean when everybody is talking and asking her about it, it's hard for her to ignore the fact that this might be a "now or never" opportunity to achieve the CGS. It surely wouldn't be a disaster if she didn't manage to achieve it at the end of her career, but at the bottom of her heart she definitely wants it.
And I agree with the 2nd part of your comments as well. The way she talks about it actually makes me feel much better, though I wasn't really feeling that bad about this loss.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
She calls all her Slams the big one. Remember at the AO presentation in 2008 and 2007, calling the trophy "The Big one". So its not like she's obsessed with the French or something:lol:.

Can't wait for Grass :cheer:. Is the tournament starting on Monday :scratch:?

claypova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
well AO does have the biggest trophy ;)

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
I actually like the USO and Wimbledon more :inlove:. Wimbledon trophy for men is just :inlove:.

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
ES coverage for Birmingham only starts on Friday. :o Still no improvement in that department, will BBC show matches?

Jack89
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
ES coverage for Birmingham only starts on Friday. :o Still no improvement in that department, will BBC show matches?

Nope. Womens tennis doesn't exist on the BBC, outside the Slams. They only show Queens.

I remember a few years ago, they used to show Eastbourne. Then suddenly they just stopped showing it.

Craig.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
By BIG one, I think she means a Slam, any Slam. After her AO 2007 loss to Serena, she said she'd love to come back the next year and win the BIG one.

Maria Croft
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, I do think the chance of being the only female player ever to win to a Career Slam with just 4 Slams added pressure to the already huge pressure of being the title favorite, winning another Slam, getting the Career Slam.

If Maria is the favorite for Wimbledon I don't know if that's such a good thing for her, would love to be proven wrong though.

Right now I think the US Open is probably her best chance for a Slam win, since Wimbledon obviously just means that much more to her, and the fact that she hasn't really been that impressive on grass these last few years.

The Norwegian
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
what's good for women's tennis is good for sexypova

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM

I hope that there will be live streaming from earlier rounds anyway, probably from 2R just like last year... :cool:

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
There was streaming from R2 last year? :confused:

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
ugh, sorry I was wrong...it started from QF round...

The Norwegian
Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
:drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive:: drive:

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Over here in India-China-HKG-Far East ,Star Sports(ESPN sister channel) shows Birmingham matches from QFs.I saw Maria vs Sesil,vs Alison Riske,and well vs Li Na last time,hopefully will be able to see it again. :cheer:

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Well the QFs are on Friday so nothing new.

Jack89
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Via NeilHarmanTimes

Maria Sharapova withdraws from the Edgbaston tournament next week. Takes a bit of the sparkle out of it

Masha out of Birmingham. Little bit worried as to why. Hopefully its just fatigue and not a serious injury.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Expected. :shrug: she went too far in the FO's draw to play there.

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
:sobbing: fourth tournament of the year which she withdraws from...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
So she's gonna have 0 grass prep? :confused:

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, sadly....but Navratilova will be visiting in Edgebaston, so if someone has already bought their tickets just to see Maria, you don't have to be completely disappointed...

pedropt
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
:hysteric:

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
:(

Hopefully everything alright.
EDIT: Cronin says Maria is sick but nothing serious. She defo won't ask for Eastbourne WC.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Competing on clay must have really hurt her physical condition so Its no surprise :shrug:.

See you at Wimbledon :cheer:.

Craig.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
For fuck's sake :weirdo: :sad:

Rerun
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
wise decision, see u in wimbledon :)

Crux Squall
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
:(

Hopefully everything alright.
EDIT: Cronin says Maria is sick but nothing serious. She defo won't ask for Eastbourne WC.

Why doesnt she asks 4 a WC in Eastbourne, it Has a strong field

Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Why doesnt she asks 4 a WC in Eastbourne, it Has a strong fieldShe has never played Eastbourne, has she?

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Why doesnt she asks 4 a WC in Eastbourne, it Has a strong field
She has always wanted the week off before Wimbledon. In interviews she always talks about how she loves walking around the grounds before the tournament starts because it's so quiet etc. :lol:

But I'm not sure having no match practise on the grass (which means zero confidence + match toughness on this surface) heading into Wimbledon is not bothersome. :unsure:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
^^It just means that her first rounds are gonna be trickier. I have faith in Maria. Tbh, I think the withdrawal has more to do with her reaching the semis than her being actually sick. The illness is just a cover-up, imo.

Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
^^It just means that her first rounds are gonna be trickier. I have faith in Maria. Tbh, I think the withdrawal has more to do with her reaching the semis than her being actually sick. The illness is just a cover-up, imo.This.

Reptilia
Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
:sad:

Jack89
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Just checked the weather forecast for Birmingham next week and apart from Monday, it is forecast to rain on every single day of the tournament.

Still remember last year when Maria had to play one of her matches on some dinky court and you could hear Wickmayers grunt in the background. :lol:

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Oh dear. :lol: Terrible forecast.

I know I've probably already posted this video before, but it's so amazing that I have to share it again. :sobbing:

bdGN3zEB4oU

Credit to Jamie. Absolutely love this video. :lol:

Kitten63
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
:sad: I hope this won't affect her at Wimbledon.

JamieOwen3
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Remember way back a year ago during wimbledon (yes a whole year) i said i wanted to make this the first tournament thread that i open? So i "bagged" this tournament thread for this year. Well
A. Ahem
B. She withdrew cuz u opened it when i was supposed to :nerner:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Jamie where have you been :hysteric:.?

goldlion
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Didn't really expect the withdrawal but I hope she takes her time to prepare herself for Wimbledon.

I think she might actually have gone back to Russia for a bit and then go to London.

slamchamp
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm sure she'd rather focus on getting better the things that didnt work in RG against li (ahem.. serve)

Cherry.
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Damn. Still wanted her to play Birmingham though :o
Last time she didn't play any tourney before going to Wimbledon, she got knocked out in the 2nd round... :tape:

JamieOwen3
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Jamie where have you been :hysteric:.?

My laptop is out of action and this phone is so slow loading pages that are huge like on this forum that i just cant keep up lol.

18majors
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
A disappointment, for sure!

Feyd
Jun 4th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Just as I was planning to go to Birmingham, :lol: I can safely ignore this tournament now.

Shivank17
Jun 4th, 2011, 04:44 AM
:bigcry:
Why did she withdraw?
She had made it to the Semis in 2007 at French,but still played Birmingham.
5 easy matches would have been a good confidence booster.
And we here are counting her points for her to rise and she is just skipping Birmingham to lose 200 points. :sobbing:

Maria Croft
Jun 4th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Thank god I decided not to go because I feared this might happen.

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Remember way back a year ago during wimbledon (yes a whole year) i said i wanted to make this the first tournament thread that i open? So i "bagged" this tournament thread for this year. Well
A. Ahem
B. She withdrew cuz u opened it when i was supposed to :nerner:

Are you blaming me...?:o :sad: sorry, I didn't knew...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
On a positive note: we won't have to endure all those pathetic weather. :o She had to play the SF and F in one day back in 2007 (and then lost to Jankovic :o ). I'm pretty sure she has had to play more than one match in one day practically every year at Birmingham.

JamieOwen3
Jun 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Are you blaming me...?:o :sad: sorry, I didn't knew...

:lol: im just messing!! Im actually glad i didn't open the thread. I want maria to win the tournament of the thread i open :) wont see her play until wimbledon now but at least venus and possibly serena will play eastbourne.

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
:haha: ok...and yes Serena and Venus..ugh I'd like them to play in Eastbourne...

18majors
Jun 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hogstedt and Maria now have more time to work on her game. She doesn't need more matches but she needs to get better.

goldlion
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Hogstedt and Maria now have more time to work on her game. She doesn't need more matches but she needs to get better.

I agree that she needs to take some time to regroup and I believe she has made a wise decision. For her, I'm confident that she wants to make sure of the time to do something better. She's gonna bounce back.

And it looks like she's gonna stay in No.6 at Wimbledon even though her 200 final points comes off from Birmingham.

shaktincredible
Jun 6th, 2011, 03:21 AM
the last time she didnt play Birmingham was in 2008 and then we all know what happened to her against kudrayvtseva :(

18majors
Jun 6th, 2011, 04:01 AM
^I wonder it's more related to her shoulder than not playing Birmingham. She dropped out Montreal not too long after and disappered from tennis all together.

goldlion
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
^I wonder it's more related to her shoulder than not playing Birmingham. She dropped out Montreal not too long after and disappered from tennis all together.

You are worrying too much. Maria hit tons of DF in Paris because she was going for too much in the beginning and nerves kicked in in the later stage. Her shoulder is fine from what I see, but she failed to deal with the conditions on that day and lost the match. Indeed if she could hold her serve in the second set by hanging on with the break, she could have turned the match around. But she let Na back into the match by playing a poor game at 4-3 and that summed up her day. Apparently Na was a bit clueless to hit the ball when she wasn't timing them well but Maria couldn't take advantage of that as she faced similar problems. Lots of shots were in the mid court and let Na put away with a winner - passive and useless.

Cherry.
Jun 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
You are worrying too much. Maria hit tons of DF in Paris because she was going for too much in the beginning and nerves kicked in in the later stage. Her shoulder is fine from what I see, but she failed to deal with the conditions on that day and lost the match. Indeed if she could hold her serve in the second set by hanging on with the break, she could have turned the match around. But she let Na back into the match by playing a poor game at 4-3 and that summed up her day. Apparently Na was a bit clueless to hit the ball when she wasn't timing them well but Maria couldn't take advantage of that as she faced similar problems. Lots of shots were in the mid court and let Na put away with a winner - passive and useless.
You misunderstood 18majors's post. He was referring the shoulder problem to Maria's loss to Kudryavtseva in the 2R of Wimbledon in 2008.

Sharapower8
Jun 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
the last time she didnt play Birmingham was in 2008 and then we all know what happened to her against kudrayvtseva :(

I guess but her game is now way much better than in 2008 :D

18majors
Jun 7th, 2011, 03:16 AM
You misunderstood 18majors's post. He was referring the shoulder problem to Maria's loss to Kudryavtseva in the 2R of Wimbledon in 2008.

Thanks for the clarification!

Shivank17
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I guess but her game is now way much better than in 2008 :D

Its way better than post Rome 2008 game. :oh:
2008 till Rome was GOAT. :bowdown:

Feyd
Jun 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Maria does not need Birmingham, she already played on the orange grass enough.

ReboundAce
Jun 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Its way better than post Rome 2008 game. :oh:
2008 till Rome was GOAT. :bowdown:

Agree, it was just april 2008 and she already had three titles, including AO, oh loved that time :hearts:

18majors
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
^It looks like Maria's shoulder had started to really bothered her when her 18 match winning streak was stopped at Indian Wells by Kuznetsova in 2008.

goldlion
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
^It looks like Maria's shoulder had started to really bothered her when her 18 match winning streak was stopped at Indian Wells by Kuznetsova in 2008.

Well, FYI, she sensed that there was something wrong with her shoulder after her match against Bondarenko in earlier rounds but she kept playing and withdrew Miami for further investigation. She didn't get properly treated therefore she worsened it especially in Wimbledon. She then lost her serve completely.

perseus2006
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Of all the tournaments Pova plays, Birmingham was the last one I would have guessed she would withdraw from.

Sympathy for WTATennis15...

WTAtennisfan15
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
^^:sad: thanks

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I kinda expected her to withdraw. Such a long and draining clay season she had, Rest was required before Wimbledon :angel:.

18majors
Jun 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM
A 2-week break and re-tooling for Wimbledon is warranted.

MashaFan01
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I assume that Masha is in the process of changing a lot of her old routines - so even playing at Birmingham - Maybe her new trainer Hogsted has something to do with it? - It's kinda like starting a new tennis career for her

She's changed racket - She's changed her serve routines and shortened it - she's changed her serve motion - so clanging her schedule before playing Wimbledon isn't very surprising - What's next - Maybe Masha will cut her hair short? - That would be some major change - right? - Could have us all occupied debating it for months :lol: -

vozas
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I have to say I REALLY miss the "pulls hair behind ears" routine. It was so iconic.

MashaFan01
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
At least she's still "staring down" her opponent -:lol:

doujyr
Jun 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Nope. Womens tennis doesn't exist on the BBC, outside the Slams. They only show Queens.

I remember a few years ago, they used to show Eastbourne. Then suddenly they just stopped showing it.

that would be when Eurosport signed their exclusive deal ;)

vozas
Jun 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
At least she's still "staring down" her opponent -:lol:

Yeah! I love that. My friends still get a kick out of my Sharapova impression on court. I do it flawlessly, reverse forehand included ;)