PDA

View Full Version : Germany abandons nuclear power,planning to shut down all nuclear plants in 2020

Lin Lin
May 30th, 2011, 08:15 AM
http://news.sohu.com/20110530/n308858314.shtml

Germany:yeah:Very brave move,indeed:worship:

Kworb
May 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Silly overreaction.

Hayato
May 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Silly overreaction.

Not really. It's a liability, especially considering that Germany is one of the largest consumers of energy in the world. Switzerland is doing the same and plans to terminate all reactors by 2034. I think it's a good decision. There are many alternative options, safer and cleaner, that Germany already emphasizes.

Bezz
May 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I really dont think we can rely on renewables to cope with the demand of the future....i agree nuclear power should be kept to a minimum...but to get rid of them all together seems abit far.

gentenaire
May 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Germany'd better ban cucumbers instead.

Lin Lin
May 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Germany'd better ban cucumbers instead.

I noticed this,any updates?:)

A Magicman
May 31st, 2011, 05:47 AM
Silly overreaction.

This and this and this.

The 7 oldest plants have been shut down already so now we're buying (nuclear produced) power from France and Czech Republic. :facepalm:

We are a people of whiners, I have no idea how we could've started at least one WW.

A Magicman
May 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM
I noticed this,any updates?:)

Still going on, more infections, more dead, some tourists from Scandinavia got infected in Northern Germany, source is still unknown.

Spain says it's not their vegetables, but those Spanish cucumbers have been the only food where this bacteria has been found so far.

Ministries of Acriculture an Health issued warnings not to eat cucumbers, tomatoes and salad in the northern part of the country as long as the source has not been found.

Halardfan
May 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Seems a sensible reaction. In the nuclear industry you have both the problem that when it goes wrong it can threaten the future of nations, and a tendency to lie and cover up when things go wrong.

Such things are far from being only a Japanese problem.

Nuclear is not a cheap option, and tell the people of Fukushima that it's an environmentally friendly option.

Apoleb
May 31st, 2011, 08:56 AM
The risks are enormous. More so than any other form of energy. It WILL "blow" sometime, and the consequences will be too severe. I think this is the right move.

jessicaB
May 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Good, they did it. It was the precautionary measures made by the government to prevent disaster and Nuclear emission that can harm the people.

C. Drone
May 31st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Silly overreaction.

this.

the beautiful days when people can't recharge their shiny green electric cars are on the horizon.
hi, emerging energy hunger :kiss:

*JR*
May 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Seems a sensible reaction. In the nuclear industry you have both the problem that when it goes wrong it can threaten the future of nations, and a tendency to lie and cover up when things go wrong.

Such things are far from being only a Japanese problem.

Nuclear is not a cheap option, and tell the people of Fukushima that it's an environmentally friendly option.

On balance, IC (modern) nuclear reactors as in France (built in seismically stable areas) as a needed part of the mix until the elusive fusion becomes viable. But I want to have a err, "private consultation" with Japanese politician Yuri Fujikawa on this matter. ;)

http://26.media.tumblr.com/YdMYYwtG1ozhot9gPtOBAfrMo1_500.jpg

Halardfan
May 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM
On balance, IC (modern) nuclear reactors as in France (built in seismically stable areas) as a needed part of the mix until the elusive fusion becomes viable. But I want to have a err, "private consultation" with Japanese politician Yuri Fujikawa on this matter. ;)

http://26.media.tumblr.com/YdMYYwtG1ozhot9gPtOBAfrMo1_500.jpg

I'm in Japan now. I'll tell her you said hi.

I think that such industries have proved time and again to be evasive and to take all possible measures to avoid disclosing the truth. To this day Tepco have done this. I think they are typical.

shrOOf
May 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Typical German overreaction.

Nicolás89
Jun 1st, 2011, 01:39 AM
The risks are enormous. More so than any other form of energy. It WILL "blow" sometime, and the consequences will be too severe. I think this is the right move.

Honestly?

To all, get your facts straight nuclear energy is the energy of the future, it is the most eficient, CLEANEST and IT IS safe. For more unfortunate that the events happening in Japan are, at the most critical side of me I'm glad that it happened, it had to happen, so one day the engineering could perfectionate the plants and become the SAFEST of all source of energies.

Sally Struthers
Jun 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM
and how do they propose to replace the nuclear power? :shrug:

anyway, when's the last time a strong earthquake and tsunami struck germany at the same time? :o

A Magicman
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
and how do they propose to replace the nuclear power? :shrug:

They just don't. Humbug-Energy is what we will be going to. :lol: Wind (which makes 7% of our overall electricity production today) and sun (a huge 2% :lol:) shall be the energies of the future. According to our Green party which is winning each election since Fukushima. And to our chancelorette who wants to be reelected.
We have to replace 24% of our overall electricity production by kicking nuclear power out. And nobody has an idea how to do it - but nobody cares. Electric power comes out of the socket. And not from power plants.

anyway, when's the last time a strong earthquake and tsunami struck germany at the same time? :o

They're seriously talking about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide

https://bora.uib.no/bitstream/1956/729/1/Bondevik-al-03-EOS.pdf

My people is heavily paranoid. I hate to say it, but I have to stick to the facts.

Halardfan
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Honestly?

To all, get your facts straight nuclear energy is the energy of the future, it is the most eficient, CLEANEST and IT IS safe. For more unfortunate that the events happening in Japan are, at the most critical side of me I'm glad that it happened, it had to happen, so one day the engineering could perfectionate the plants and become the SAFEST of all source of energies.

Where are we to keep the various levels of waste produced by these plants?

Fukushima is scarcely the only example...we don't need an earthquake or tsunami for these plants to go wrong. There is no such thing as 100% safe with them, and history as shown they will go wrong again. Of course following Fukushima certain improvements will be made, but other faults will remain undetected to another day when the lives of thousands are ruined by nuclear power disaster.

bulava
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Honestly?

One of the common myths is that Nuclear Power is cleanest and safest. Neither are true. Renewable Energy sources have taken those crowns :) As far as Germany's decision is concerned it's going to be an expensive switch, and passing the additional cost burden (billions of Euro per year) on its citizens. Hey, but Nuclear Power is quite unpopular with Germans so it's their choice.

Having said all that, Nuclear Energy could be made more safer & efficient by switching over the current Uranium/Plutonium reactor designs to Thorium based cores because they more economical to build, hardly produce any Nuclear waste (Fission by-products from Uranium reactors). Last but not least, Thorium is available plenty compared to the Uranium fuel on this planet. Countries such as India have already made a good lead (first reactor in the world) in Thorium based designs:

http://americansforenergy.org/thorium.htm

homogenius
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Welcome Back to the Future Germany

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Kintjir_of_waterschepwiel_i n_Djambi_Sumatra_TMnr_10007886.jpg

bulava
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
^Germans are very much smarter than what you think :)