PDA

View Full Version : Going to Wimbledon for 2 weeks. Londoners, what are must-dos in London????

hdfb
May 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi guys!

I got my ticket for Wimby womens SF today, and I booked my flights to London from 19th June - 3rd July.

I have never ever been to Europe and I have exams to worry about next few weeks and I desperately need help!

Im travelling on budget and I need somewhere to stay for two weeks? ANyone have a spare room in Central London for rent?
Otherwise, any good hotels/hostels I can stay which suit my needs?

The main focus for me in this trip is West End and Wimbledon, and I guess the main attractions. Which area of London would be good to stay with this in mind?

My budget for hotel per night is maximum 65 pounds a night? Would be awesome if much less :p

Thanks for any help, Im shitting bricks here, todays been a big day!

Le Tenisse
May 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
My budget for hotel per night is maximum 65 pounds a night? Would be awesome if much less :p

GL with that.

Kəv.
May 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Lucky... :p And no i cannot help you :p

Ciarán
May 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
So you decided to go? :D Great! I'm gonna ask my friend in London this question to see if she can help any ;)

Sean.
May 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Do you mind staying in a hostel? It would be much cheaper. If not, I did a quick search and came up with this:

http://www.gardenviewhotel.co.uk/location (£65 per night)

I've not stayed there so I don't know what it's like, but Earl's Court isn't too bad. I doubt you would get anything decent in the Soho area for your budget, but this is only one tube ride away from Wimbledon & Covent Garden.

hdfb
May 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Do you mind staying in a hostel? It would be much cheaper. If not, I did a quick search and came up with this:

I've not stayed there so I don't know what it's like, but Earl's Court isn't too bad. I doubt you would get anything decent in the Soho area for your budget, but this is only one tube ride away from Wimbledon & Covent Garden.

Hey thanks a lot! That hotel isn't available for all 14 days of Wimbledon :p

Yeah I'm looking to stay in a hostel because it's cheap, but mostly, its available for 13 days straight!

I've found a place which has a central location, just a few minutes walk from Kings Cross station. Is that a good and safe place to stay in?

nevetssllim
May 30th, 2011, 03:06 PM
London is very pricey when it comes to hotels but there seem to be some more reasonably cheap hotels in the Bayswater area which is handy because it's on the same underground line as Southfields (which is the stop for Wimbledon). I'd check out laterooms.com etc and you might be able to snap up a reasonable deal but they'll most certainly still be at the top end of your budget.

Sean.
May 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hey thanks a lot! That hotel isn't available for all 14 days of Wimbledon :p

Yeah I'm looking to stay in a hostel because it's cheap, but mostly, its available for 13 days straight!

I've found a place which has a central location, just a few minutes walk from Kings Cross station. Is that a good and safe place to stay in?

Oh :lol: I didn't even think to check. To be honest you have left it quite late.

Depends, I personally wouldn't want to be too near to Camden Town or Regents Park at night, they can be a bit dodgy. But there are definitely worse areas.

Sean.
May 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
London is very pricey when it comes to hotels but there seem to be some more reasonably cheap hotels in the Bayswater area which is handy because it's on the same underground line as Southfields (which is the stop for Wimbledon). I'd check out laterooms.com etc and you might be able to snap up a reasonable deal but they'll most certainly still be at the top end of your budget.

^ if you can find something in Bayswater that would be good, it's a bit further away from the shows and stuff but still quite central and a really nice area.

hdfb
May 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!! Definitely want to know areas to avoid at night as I am travelling alone :sobbing:

I left it late because I couldn't go travelling unless I secured a job for 2012. I got the phone call today that I got the job so I booked my flight asap.

If I didnt get the job, this Wimby SF ticket would have gone to waste. :sobbing:

I've enquired about an apartment in Paddington.... I made a booking but its not instant confirmation of availability. It's only 55 pounds/night, sounds too good to be true :sobbing: Fingers crossed its available!

nevetssllim
May 30th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!! Definitely want to know areas to avoid at night as I am travelling alone :sobbing:

Croydon. :scared: But it's not like there's anything down there attractions-wise. :p

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
What about the Premier Inn? Aren't they supposed to be really cheap hotels?

Mattographer
May 31st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Wow, we have those towns here in Sydney :lol: Kings Cross, Paddington, Regents Park and Croydon :lol:

Freakan
May 31st, 2011, 08:13 AM

I stayed in this one :lol:
The location is quite good but the hotel itself really average (terrible breakfest :p)

Sean.
May 31st, 2011, 08:21 AM

For the most part you can rely on common sense. If there's nobody around or the place looks a bit seedy then move on. As nevetssllim said, you're unlikely to end up in the worst areas as they have little of interest to offer tourists.

As a general rule though try not to stray too far east.

hdfb
May 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the help!
I have solved my problem after phone calls, waiting for a confirmation via email takes too long!
Im staying in a BnB in Earls Court for 5 nights, and then moving to another BnB 1 minute down the road for the remaining 8 nights as thats all they had vacancy for :lol:
50 pounds a night for both places :)
Very satisfied

Now, any suggestions of must-visit places for a first time visit to London?? :sobbing: Any cheap hidden rare gems in London, off the beaten track?
Also if this doesn't sound too odd and forthcoming, I am open to meeting some TFers as I will be travelling alone for 2 weeks :sobbing:

Mary Cherry.
May 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the help!
I have solved my problem after phone calls, waiting for a confirmation via email takes too long!
Im staying in a BnB in Earls Court for 5 nights, and then moving to another BnB 1 minute down the road for the remaining 8 nights as thats all they had vacancy for :lol:
50 pounds a night for both places :)
Very satisfied

Now, any suggestions of must-visit places for a first time visit to London?? :sobbing: Any cheap hidden rare gems in London, off the beaten track?
Also if this doesn't sound too odd and forthcoming, I am open to meeting some TFers as I will be travelling alone for 2 weeks :sobbing:

I'm afraid London and cheap don't really mix :sobbing:

Do get a Visitor's Oyster Card for tubes/buses though - easiest way to get around.

nevetssllim
May 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Borough Market is great, especially if you're a foodie. Greenwich is really cool as well. Covent Garden is a really good place to chill out and just listen to some music which doesn't cost anything.

I don't know about anyone else but I thought Madame Tussards was crap and over-priced. It wouldn't be at the top of my things to recommend to a first-time visitor. :p

hdfb
May 31st, 2011, 05:21 PM
I've bought some tickets to some shows, THEN my friend says she might come to London during the time Im there :sobbing:

Kuilli
May 31st, 2011, 05:57 PM
If you like museums, British Museum, Tate and many others are free. :)

Dahveed
May 31st, 2011, 06:14 PM
West end for all the obvious attractions. East end for an edgier experience of London (the City, Shoreditch, Brick Lane..) and North London : Camden town.

Root
May 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM
If you like museums, British Museum, Tate and many others are free. :)

Tate Modern and Tate Britain were amazing last time I went.

If you're into films, you should definitely go to the Film Museum in London (you'll have to purchase a ticket though, 13.50 for an adult). :) It was a fantastic visit. The museum is in the County Hall few metres away from the London Eye entrance.

Keegan
May 31st, 2011, 07:31 PM
Tate Modern and Tate Britain were amazing last time I went.

If you're into films, you should definitely go to the Film Museum in London (you'll have to purchase a ticket though, 13.50 for an adult). :) It was a fantastic visit. The museum is in the County Hall few metres away from the London Eye entrance.

Not the Tate Modern! :sobbing: Last time I went there, part of the exhibit was an empty shoebox :sobbing:

watchdogfish
May 31st, 2011, 07:36 PM
The museums are free apart from the exhibitions. Some attractions like Madame Tussauds and the Aquarium a bit overpriced for the tourists.

If you like walks you can download a self guided tour around London here, or join a walking tour group for about £6-£10.

http://www.southbanklondon.com/walkthisway/TheGuides.html

If you want to catch a show you can normally pick up a bargain on the day at the booth in Leicester Square. You can pay around 50-60% less if you're lucky!

Also for travelling around Oyster cards are great and relatively cheap or you can pick up a 7 day railcard with is around £30, although that depends on how many zones you want. Zones 1-2 should cover everything you want to see.

Root
May 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Not the Tate Modern! :sobbing: Last time I went there, part of the exhibit was an empty shoebox :sobbing:

When was that? I went around November-December last year and it was full, couldn't cover many things for our assignment. :lol:

Keegan
May 31st, 2011, 09:04 PM
I went over Easter weekend. It was actually ridiculous. People were sat there observing this shoebox and commenting on it's amazingness. There was also a bunch of old car tyres the artist had picked up from the sides of highways in Mexico. There was also several washing lines full of tumble drier lint which the artist had picked out of tumble driers in New York or something. It was so gross.

It was a confusing exhibit. I wasn't sure if the grates on the floor were part of the exhibit or not so I wasn't sure if I should stand there and be in awe of them :sobbing:

Root
May 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
I went over Easter weekend. It was actually ridiculous. People were sat there observing this shoebox and commenting on it's amazingness. There was also a bunch of old car tyres the artist had picked up from the sides of highways in Mexico. There was also several washing lines full of tumble drier lint which the artist had picked out of tumble driers in New York or something. It was so gross.

It was a confusing exhibit. I wasn't sure if the grates on the floor were part of the exhibit or not so I wasn't sure if I should stand there and be in awe of them :sobbing:

:lol: There were many things I thought were ridiculous or over the top like the ones you mentioned. Standing in front of them for minutes to analyse them was hell-like. :sobbing: I'd rather go to Tate Britain than Modern though. I didn't feel I wasted my time there unlike Modern where it was 50-50.

The Victoria & Albert Museum was probably my favourite site visit right after the Film Museum. The "Camera-less Photography" exhibition was great.

I don't know if OP is into museums but they should definitely check them out if they do. :)

Helen Lawson
May 31st, 2011, 11:06 PM
I was in London about a year ago for about 3 days. I only went to the Tower of London. I'm obsessed by Tudor history, but even apart from that, the Tower had a jigsaw puzzle of people executed at the Tower. Great puzzle, really fantastic. Visit the Tower and buy the puzzle.

Melange
Jun 1st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Helen you were just there for the wedding :)

Morning Morgan
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
Try www.roomorama.com

I used it when I went to London last year, and I got really decent rooms at no more than 50 pounds a night, and as cheap as 30 a night. The standard of the rooms is midway between a hostel and a hotel, and for one of them I even had my own private bathroom, free breakfast items (cereal, bread, milk) and cable TV.

Morning Morgan
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:16 AM
And definitely get an Oyster card that extends to zone 3, so that you can hop onto the buses for free as well.

The museums are fantastic, my personal favorites are the British History Museum and Modern Tate. BHM is HUGE by the way, so you may wanna spend more time there. And definitely catch a musical while you're there, I watched Les Miserables and Wicked there. It's usually cheaper if you get your tickets at one of the many ticket agents that are all over the Leicester/Piccadilly area, and the earlier you buy the better. Can be as cheap as 20 pounds for the cheapest seats. Westminster Abbey is worth a visit as well in my opinion, although there is an entrance fee of 15 pounds if I remember. The history of that place is quite awesome.

woosey
Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
well, just make sure you get laid.

hdfb
Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:54 AM
^:rolls: I have a BF though he isn't coming with me, I am actually now going with a friend for the entire two weeks, she's a girl and we'll be sharing a double bed together in our rented apartment :lol:

This trip just keeps getting better!!! Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I think I will have enough, maybe too much to fill these 2 weeks! We are going to Paris for a weekend too :inlove:

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Most of it depends on what you like doing. You can do pretty much anything you like here. Most of the attactions are overrated though.

kwilliams
Jun 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Don't miss the British Museum. It's great and it's free. I like the parks: Hyde, Regent, James's and Green. Regent Park is the least nice.

I didn't go on the Eye because it's ridiculously expensive. I climbed the Memorial to the London Fire near St. Paul's Cathedral. It's cheap and you get a little certificate to say you climbed the 133 steps or whatever it was. The staircase is tight and it's tight at the top but when I was there, there were only two other people on it. The views are pretty good.

I didn't go into St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey because I don't believe in paying to enter churches. I went to the Catholic Cathedral on Victoria St. though. All three are very nice churches.

The Globe Theatre is straight across the river from St. Paul's.

You can take a Jack the Ripper tour in the city area (where the Guerkin is). It's quite fun if you like scary things.

I've heard King's Cross is quite dangerous but I think it's fine during the day. The building there is quite impressive. I always hear crazy stories about stabbings and shootings in London but from what I know they seem to occur in the inner suburbs. The city seemed pretty safe to me for tourists but I was there a few years ago before the surge in violence which started roughly around 2008.

I like the Embankment and Victoria Gardens too near Westminster and Cleopatra's Needle is by the river there.

Don't pay the fee to enter the Tower of London it's not worth a fraction of the price. I can't stress this enough.

The Albert Memorial and the square around Albert Hall are really nice, too.

I hope you have better luck with Londoners than I did. They were the rudest and most unhelpful people I have ever encountered. I've been to over 100 cities around the world and Londoners are hands down the worst in my experience.

matthias
Jun 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
i´ve been to Londona as a tourist twice
and you should get a oyster card (the one for tourists) and a London Card
it will safe you a lot of money
London Card is available as 1 day, 3 day or 5 day card, it cost some pounds, but it can safe you a lot of money if you like seightseeing
London Card will give you lower or even free admission, and at some attractions there is a special queing for owner of a London Card (as example the Tower, not queing for tickets, no queing on the entrance for getting your ticket checked)
then you can safe a lot of time by booking your tickets online, the most attractions have a special line for pre-booked tickets.
like Madame tussauds and the London Eye, the only problem is you have to be there at the booked time-slot, but this shouldn´t be a big problem.
then Madamae tussauds offers 50% off to tickets after 5pm (just online booking i guess) and you should take this opportunity, Madama Tussauds is really expensive imo, and 5pm is still enough time to be there.

then i loved to spend my time in the parks, you can relax there and the next tube isn´t far away to go to your next attraction, and without queing (thanks to the London Card) i had always a very nice and relaxed time in London.

London is for sure my favorit City to visit, and i can´t wait to go again for a few days.