PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana's 2011 grass-court season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

networthy
May 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
...hope it won't be a short one.

In $75+H Nottingham, Mirjana is seeded #6. Her draw could have been better but it also could have been worse. In R1 she plays Foretz Gacon (#133). Whoever wins will play Keothavong or Broady (WC).

I'll be thrilled if Mirjana reaches the QF. Good luck!

croat123
May 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM
please miki...i'm really nervous about her form after rg :(

kfh_9118
May 30th, 2011, 04:47 AM
good luck Miki, hope you'll have better grass season than clay :)

Hele.
May 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Good luck Miki! ;)

mikireturns
May 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, GL. She'll need it. Her nice breakthrough momentum from Barcelona-Strasbourg was abuptly halted by the (let's face it) shit draw in Paris. Garcia would have killed her in Paris, even if Sharapova had broken a leg during the first round. Even more ugly was a 6-0 6-0shellacking in doubles. Not even a game. Mirjana ate 3 bagels in Paris.

I'm done expecting anything from Mirjana except for what she actually manages to do. No expectations, no disappointments. Foretz Gacon is streaky but can produce occasional beat-down tennis. Keothavong (likely winner over Broady) will bounce anything less than a focused Lucic. It's tough out there; they all have to bring it. If Lucic wants anything to happen in what's left of this comeback/career she has to start believing in herself like she did in Strasbourg and build on results ... not take backward steps when she happens to get a good result every twelve years.

It's grass. She might have some tricks up her sleeve. Who knows?

croat123
May 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM
third up on court 2..no rain in the forecast. good luck miki

kfh_9118
May 31st, 2011, 03:48 AM
is there a live score for this tournament?

croat123
May 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM
there is...but not for miki's court :fiery:

auntie janie
May 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
Someone on the tournament thread says Miki lost 46 46. Guess Foretz had one of her good days.

mikireturns
May 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Someone on the tournament thread says Miki lost 46 46. Guess Foretz had one of her good days.

We can hardly expect even a determined, focused "comeback-minded" player like Mirjana to withstand the ferocious onslaught and overwhelming talent of the great Stephanie Foretz Gacon, who is feared by players across the earth (particularly after she added the "Gacon" to her name).

No, we must not despair. The very name of Foretz Gacon sends chills down the spines of even the most elite competitors. She enters a locker-room and champions tremble. Many urinate uncontrollably in their panties out of primeval fear.

Mirjana cannot be faulted for coming up short against The Legend, against The Greatness, against the Glory ... of Madame Foretz Gacon.:worship:

kuroishijin
May 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Not much to say but she is in big trouble.

croat123
Jun 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
:o
::mindblown::

SERVivor
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Not much to say but she is in big trouble.

it's just one match. I don't see how losing one match means she is in big trouble. she does have alot of points to defend in the next few weeks to stay in top 100 but she didn't lose any points today.

mikireturns
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
it's just one match. I don't see how losing one match means she is in big trouble. she does have alot of points to defend in the next few weeks to stay in top 100 but she didn't lose any points today.

I think the point is that it's one more bad loss among many just this year. Last year, she was kicking the tomato-can players routinely. This year those types of players are kicking her. Disturbing. The crux of the matter is that she is running out of time. Now that she has a relatively decent ranking to work with, and the goal to make the next logical leap, every opportunity counts so much more than ever before. With all the points opps she has had this year, so many patches with nothing to defend, she should have been at least in the Top 60 by now, but she is showing no signs of the ability to sustain form from one moment or event to the next (Strasbourg excluded).

To my mind, she is already a success because she reached the Top 100 again. If she never does anything else of note (and I am realistically beginning to doubt), then she has done enough and should be proud.

mikireturns
Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Oh man ... look at the way the draw played-out in Nottingham. Mirjana could have won this whole thing and had time to bake birthday cakes for seventy-five local orphans, if she had the slightest firecracker under her ass.

RUMOR: She feels she has a good chance to win Wimbledon.

Is it a sin to convert to Petkovic?

kuroishijin
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Lol just to remind you basics: this is Lucic domain so of course we can talk about ups and downs in her game but not about converting to other players, so answer is never. It is a mortal sin ha ha, despite everything I adore Miki and I think that she did quite well despite such long absence from professional tour.

tennismaster8820
Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
There's a big article about Mirjana in Croatian weekly sport's newspapers "Max!"
She talks a bit about everything.
She believes she can play 3 or 4 years still at highest level because she doesn't feel spent.
She is pleased with her coach Argentine Hugo Armando, started working with him from start of year.
Goal is to achieve more wins at GS tournaments and not lose in first rounds.
She says that she didn't have much luck with draw in Paris, that she was too nervous and lost easily. It was one of those bad days. Goal is to end year in top 50.
After tennis career she would love to start some TV show about cooking because she enjoys doing that.
Also:
- getting married with Italian Daniele
- wants to have Croatian "klapa" singing at the wedding (traditional singing from Dalamatia)
- is proud to represent Croatia, could have become American if she wanted
- is proud of her family, everyone is doing well
- misses everything in Croatia, nature, sea and most of all nice people
- wants to play Fed Cup and believes it will happen already in next tie
- never played at Olympics but she would love to, her lifetime dream is to win medal for Croatia
- already had contacts with some TV channel about starting her show in the future

mikireturns
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
It would be difficult to convert to anyone else, after the sweet freaky drama that Miki provides.:haha:

3 more years? Oh, Miki ... don't torture us. Your poor fans are already leaning toward blood pressure medicine.

I like her stated ambition, and that she will play Fed Cup (the best thing she could do!!!!!), but she is frankly going to have to beat some bitches, fast, to make the top 50. No Foretz Gacon crapfests.

She cannot afford that shit. She needs (duh!) a few more inspired surges like the one in Strasbourg and, preferrably, snarl her way into at least the final 32 (or 16) at one of the two remaining Slams.

That being said, Miki would be AWESOME with her own cooking show. Her personality, especially when she's rockin' the Croatian accent a bit more than usual, is ideal. She is warm and has a charming sense of wit, and they let anybody do a cooking show these days, so why not her?

Sexy Miki would be a welcome change from the fat, bloated skanks inhabiting American "FOOD TV". I can imagine her nice big boobs hovering over a pot of risotto. Anything or anyone who could distract from that raspy-voiced creature Rachael Ray would be welcome.

C'mon, Miki ... finance the future with some big wins today!!!:p

tennismaster8820
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
^^
:rolls:
:yeah:

mikireturns
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
:devil: Yeah, it may seem corny, but I truly do think she would be superb on a cooking show ... lots of low-cut stuff that shows-off her massive honkin' bosoms, plus with Miki's interest in her subject (cooking) and her desire to showcase the Sarasota lifestyle, she would win viewers.

She would be far more interesting than Giada DeLaurentis, who is also cute, but not as pretty as Miki, and try as she might, her boobs are nothing compared to Miki's, and it's all about the boobs.

~kidding~

A cooking show would be a bizarre, but not entirely surprising, turn in her career.

Her best scenario is:

1. Have at least one major, newsworthy "run" e.g. another Slam semifinal, a season ending in the Top 50, whatever.

2. Parlay that notable achievement into a killer autobiography about her wacky journey, and then snag a wicked cooking show.

I wish she would just cut the crap and break out with her big game and kick several girls to the curb. Soon. If your goal is Top 50, then start to kick some ass, girl.

mikireturns
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
OMG, Roger just broke THE STREAK ... history!

Watch and be inspired, Miki!

mikireturns
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
off-topic but kudos to Li! And WHAT is up with women's tennis ... the umpire in a Slam final should NOT look like a drowsy chick in low-hangin' jeans going to the mall.

Okay, Miki. You can still win a Slam. Get going.

croat123
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Plays a Q in R1

networthy
Jun 4th, 2011, 06:59 PM
^ At least she didn't get Kanepi or Peng, but a couple of qualifiers could be very tough, namely Chan and Stephens. Hope she gets someone like Gronert, Perrin or Aoyama.

If she gets Ajla (assuming Ajla qualifies), at least we'll have a Croat in R2.

mikireturns
Jun 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
^ At least she didn't get Kanepi or Peng, but a couple of qualifiers could be very tough, namely Chan and Stephens. Hope she gets someone like Gronert, Perrin or Aoyama.

If she gets Ajla (assuming Ajla qualifies), at least we'll have a Croat in R2.

I mean, at this point, if she isn't ready to face anybody, then what is the point?

Make your MOVE, Mirjana.

What are you waiting for ... an invitation?:o

ajmo!
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I would be happy with anyone but Tomljanovic or Stevenson.

Ballbasher
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Of course she draws Lexy. :o
First match at 11AM on C2!

croat123
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Shit...toughest qualifier
Where do you see the oop?

Ballbasher
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
On my phone. The WTA app has it. ;)

croat123
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Perfect..thanks :D

mikireturns
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Of course she draws Lexy. :o
First match at 11AM on C2!

Get OUT! If she can't beat that delusional turd Stevenson, then it is time for a Miki "fan divorce". Please. She spanked Dokic in a Battle of Prodigies and Stevenson is about as graceful as a bulldozer on court.

Good grief ... that hag of a mother, Samantha, will be talking trash to Miki, fighting with the umpire.

Miki cannot lose to Alexandra "The Lesbians on Tour Are Plotting Against Me" Stevenson.

mikireturns
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
TENNIS REPORTER: "Alexandra, what are your goals now that you are 30 and still living in a one bedroom condo with your mother?"

ALEXANDRA STEVENSON: "Of course I plan to win Wimbledon, where I am the only one famous for starting the tradition of curtsying to all four courners of the crowd, then I plan to win an Academy Award, a Grammy, and I shall find the cure for Alzheimer's Disease. Mostly, though, as everyone knows, I am chiefly a dancer.

ajmo!
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Oh, you never know with Alex..
On the other hand, Nadal is probably gonna be there to see the girl that changed tennis history again :lol:

auntie janie
Jun 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
It goes without saying that Alex and her mom are insufferable, but if Miki's fans were to abandon her every time she loses to a player like Alex whom she "should" beat, this thread would have died years and years ago. :lol: I am completely prepared for her to crush Alex, or for her to lose 06 26. That's just daily life in Mikifanworld! Hoping for a happy surprise but not expecting anything.

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Rankings:
Singles: #94
Doubles # 273
This doubles rank is good enough to get her in many WTA MD's.

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Despite a few double faults already, Miki's off to a good start in this match. Alex just held; 4-2 ML.

Miki holds at love! 5-2. The match is 27 minutes long.

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
First set to Miki, 6-3. Good start, hope she can keep on just this way. :)

The first set took about 35 minutes. Miki stopped double-faulting. Both players ended up with 2 aces to 4 DFs.

AS to serve to start set 2.

networthy
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
First set to Mirjana 6-3. Keep it up!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Miki breaks to start set 2. Nice!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
2-0. :)

AS's DF count is mounting rapidly; nonetheless she has reached game point here. And she holds with an ace for 2-1.

Pebbles
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
2-2

Focus Miki

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM
2-3 :( But you can stop the rot now with an easy hold, Miki!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
But no, she is broken again. 2-4, with 3 straight games for AS. Wake up, Miki! :rocker2:

edit: bad arithmetic; make that 4 ;)

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Miki wakes up and breaks back for 3-4, right on cue. :hatoff:

Pebbles
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
4-5, hold Mirjana ;)

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
oh boy..please hold

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
She is not as authoritative on her serve in this set, struggling to hold here, but she does. 5-5!
Hope AS starts to flounder now. :D

networthy
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
BP Mirjana...

networthy
Wasted BP...

croat123
ajmo miki!

kfh_9118
try to break here, Miki

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Okay, AS was too steady there ( :eek: ) -- Miki, please hold to force a tb and then go bananas ... :D

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
:scared: fight miki!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
woohoo, great hold. tb! :banana:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
get her miki!

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM
not good :sad:

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Awkward tb. Has anyone held their serve? :crazy:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
sp stevenson...please miki!

networthy
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
MP Mirjana...

kfh_9118
MP Miki, c'mon take it please

croat123
please miki!!

networthy
Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
what a great fight back in the tb!

networthy
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Way too close against a player ranked outside the top 200 but hopefully it'll get Mirjana warmed up for her much tougher match against Vinci.

auntie janie
WOW!! Great ending to a tough 2nd set. :woohoo: Well done, kid! :aparty:

kfh_9118
Miki wins :woohoo:

saving SP too :eek:

any more win after this is a bonus

kuroishijin
Great win!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Way too close against a player ranked outside the top 200 but hopefully it'll get Mirjana warmed up for her much tougher match against Vinci.

Outside the top 200, yes, but Alex has a strong serve and so is not the easiest opponent on grass. It's a good win, even if it doesn't look that way on paper. :hearts:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
it's stevenson...she's had good flashes and her game is made for grass, so let's put it down as a good win :p
vinci will be very tough!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Agree about Vinci. But I just want to celebrate this WTA MD win and worry about Vinci later. :dance:

SERVivor
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm glad she won. MikiReturns would have had a heart attack or been institutionalized if Lucic lost to Stevenson. She couldn't buy a first serve in the TB, but once she got the first serve in she was ok.

Kathy Rinaldi
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm a Mirjana Lucic forum lurker and I was happy to see her win today.

So I guess you will all like her again for a day seeing as she won today. You'll all love her until she next loses and then you're leaving, she's done, you're done with her, whatever,lol...yet you still all come back. Doesn't strike me as true fandom :kiss:

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Bravo Miki :banana:
never done with her :p

But she's gonna get nowhere near Vinci with 9 DF's, focus Mirjana!

mikireturns
Jun 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
A win in a WTA. We'll take it, and Stevenson is tough on grass, of all places, and has actually won more matches than Mirjana this year. Stevenson's mother probably threatened to throw her out of their condo if she didn't start making enough money to at least pay for canned spaghetti. I imagine Samantha's mouth was flapping non-stop throughout this encounter.

If Miki gets rid of the double faults, serves smart, she can take Vinci on grass. She'll be up for it.

mikireturns
Jun 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm a Mirjana Lucic forum lurker and I was happy to see her win today.

So I guess you will all like her again for a day seeing as she won today. You'll all love her until she next loses and then you're leaving, she's done, you're done with her, whatever,lol...yet you still all come back. Doesn't strike me as true fandom :kiss:

You are correct, as is Auntie Janie, but there is also another way of looking at it that is just as correct. Namely, Mirjana the tennis pro is in the entertainment business -- we are the consumers, the ones who ultimately pay her salary because all sponsors exist to ultimately get our money, not hers. She is one of the "shows" out there for our amusement. As consumers, when the product stinks we have every right to acknowledge the stink. But, because there is something inherently special about this product that we have always admired or enjoyed, we have the right, as consumers, to get excited about the product again when it regains its quality.

A cold way of putting it, sure, and Miki's humanity and person are obviously very crucial to the equation, but sport is part of the entertainment business and we are the buyers. It's okay when fans who know about her and have followed her get exasperated, but woe to those who know nothing about her that make fun of her. Nuances.

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Third on C1.. I guess no stream?
Stupid to me to put Broady and Rezai on CC.. but whatever..

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Vinci seems to be in a good form. She won Barcelona this year and had some nice results, like playing 3 sets with RG champion Li in Madrid. Last year she won Luxembourg.
She knows how to play on a faster surface and has good doubles skills(Mirjana and Rezai were double bageled by Errani/Vinci last week).
This year she defeated players like Ivanovic, Vesnina, Kleybanova in straight sets.

Last year on grass she had two nice wins and lost to Pavlyuchenkova and Henin. Two years ago she made it to R3 in Wimbledon(beating Pavlyuchenkova) and losing 63 64 to Serena.

She was never a star, but Vinci is a really good, top 40 player.
With 4 singles and 7 doubles WTA titles she really is a challenge for Mirjana. GL!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Third on C1.. I guess no stream?
Stupid to me to put Broady and Rezai on CC.. but whatever..

Sure, it makes no sense to us, but it's natural because Broady's a Brit. It's a shame if we can't see this, though. It'll be a great challenge for Mirjana, facing a really different type of player than the usual. She'll have to think on her feet, be ready to change tactics, serve & volley. Most of all, get that serve in.

croat123
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
any videos/reports?

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:18 PM
any videos/reports?

From today? A report and several pics in GM.

networthy
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Amazingly enough, until this week Mirjana has picked up more ranking points this year (160) than last year (143) :rolleyes:

In June she has 100 points coming off (40 from Birmingham, 60 from Wimbledon). Given her form this year, her only chance not to tumble down the rankings is to draw a 42-year-old local WC ranked #1179 at Wimbledon, then play the match of her life to win 06 76(42) 2725, in the process saving 17 set points and 22 match points. That would get her 100 points.

Instead, watch her draw Sharapova again.

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Always nice to see Miki win on grass!!! Hope she can continue and get better with each match:

croat123
Jun 7th, 2011, 02:15 AM
i think today's win is a big step up from last week. i'd definitely rate stevenson higher on grass than foretz (not to mention that alex crushed a decent player in qualies)

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 02:26 AM
In a post-match interview today, Miki reported, "I feel I am playing really well again and I just need a little push or an extra bit of luck with the draw for something special to happen."

She's feeling good and talking like a reasonable person. Let's hope she can play clean and overpower the short one-handed backhander, Vinci. Lots of big one-two punch combinations. "Push" through her, Miki. It's grass. It could happen.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Nice to hear :D

kuroishijin
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
So here we go, Miki took break for 4:2

kuroishijin
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
and rebreak almost in seconds after it lol

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
4-3*

Mirjana 1/4 on BP's :(

At 2-1 Mirjana wasted 3 BP's.

Guy compares Mirjana to Mauresmo :confused:

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Mirjana -- The Girl Who Cannot Stand a Lead

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
DF for Vinci ... Miki better attack here, hard

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
From 40-15 Vinci to deuce

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Vinci gets another hold after deuce, 4-4

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Winnable. She better intensify her focus and hit out. Pressure this girl even more.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
30-15 Miki

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Get mean out there, Mirjana! MEAN and CRUEL and EVIL!

ajmo!
Winnable. She better intensify her focus and hit out. Pressure this girl even more.

maybe she's playing really good cause vinci is great player that shouldn't suit miki

ajmo!
Ace for 5-4

mikireturns
With a confidence-boosting ace, like that one!

kuroishijin
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
5:4 for Miki

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
MEAN and COLD and HEARTLESS, Miki.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Vinci serving: 30-15

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
VICIOUS and ROTTEN and SNEAKY, Miki

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
5-5

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Pressure her, Miki. Pressure her and surge forward.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM
0-15

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hold Your Damned Ground, Miki!

ajmo!
Df 15-30 :(

ajmo!
30-30.. Fight Miki!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
40-30

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
6-5, great hold.. 1st serve % really important today

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Way to keep her nerve. Now make life difficult for this wretched girl.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Vinci 30-0 :(

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
6-6

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Tb: 0-1

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
0-3 :mad:

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Oh f*&k!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
0-4

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
2-4

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
One point, at least ...

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM
2-6, F*ck

mikireturns
Oh man ...

ajmo!
Vinci takes it 7-6

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
What an awful breaker ...

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Mirjana served well and had good passing shots. focus in set 2!

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
She just doesn't have the mentality that a Top 30 player has got, but she has to break that ceiling and do it.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
30-30,... break her!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
BP Lucic!

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Pressure pressure pressure, Miki. Take it when you see it.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Damn her!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Oh, no return after 40-30.. :help:

Vinci is just taking her chances, Mirjana not.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
OUT and net for DF! :mad:
Jesus again.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Opportunities must look like big, hairy, ugly spiders to Miki.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Backhand winner for Miki, 15-30

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
30-30

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Another BH winner!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
6-7 1-1

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
deuce again on vinci's serve.. break her miki

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Vinci again holds to 40 :(

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM
6-7 1-2, Miki on serve: 40-15

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
The extra "push" Miki was talking about? These spots are where she needs to take a chance and do something, but mainly on the big points. She is not playing the big points with that extra "push".

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
deuce :mad:

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Miki can't play her leads!

ajmo!
Ace to save BP

mikireturns
Where was that ace at 40-15!???

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Big Game

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Adv. Lucic... don't blew it :scared:

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
6-7 2-2

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
0-30

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
3 BP's Mirjana, just like in first set.. Now she has to take it!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Break to love... 6-7 3-2 :)

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM
she stinks

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
She had a point for 5-3 and is now down 3-4. She sucks.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Vinci must be laughing and going, "What a head case I am playing."

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
If she loses this game after being up 40-15, I am through ...

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Of course! DF on game point!

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Well, still a chance, Miki. Try to get the rocks out of your brain.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Come ON

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Well, 5-5.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Well, I lost the feed ... anybody else have the score? Ajmo?

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Lucic won second set :)

Lucic 67(2) 76(4)

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Well, man ... that's a thing! Keep us posted, if u can. I lost the entire feed. Thank you for the update.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Fight!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Lucic adv.

auntie janie
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Lucic won second set :)
Lucic 67(2) 76(4)

:eek: Wow! :woohoo: unexpected

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
dropshot for deuce, i guess it's still first game :confused:

Kathy Rinaldi
she stinks.....she sucks......I am through

OMG, lol, good going. Close the door quietly on your way out :kiss:

ajmo!
BP Vinci
saved again
huge game

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Adv. Miki

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Deuce again :scared:

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Mirjana 6-7 7-6 1-0

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
6-7 7-6 1-1

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
40-15

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Big passing shot for Miki again and she had 2-1 in third

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
OMG, lol, good going, Ian, I believe? Close the door quietly on your way out :kiss:

I shall close the door quietly but firmly, particularly if your fingers are in it, Miss Rinaldi-Stunkel.:devil:

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
She HAS 2-1?

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Mirjana 3-1 up :)

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM
15-15

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Mirjana broken :sad:
6-7 7-6 3-2

Both coaches are out.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Mirjana 6-7 7-6 *4-2, 30-15

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
3-1, she had?

ajmo!
40-15

ajmo!
3-1, she had?

it's 4-2 and deuce, i think she had 40-15

mikireturns
What, you mean she has the lead and is serving?

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I wish I had not lost the stream!!!!!!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
What, you mean she has the lead and is serving?

Yes.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
It's 4-3 :help:
14 DF's from Miki in match.

croat123
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Oh god

mikireturns
She had 40-15 ... these women

ajmo!
Vinci 30-15

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM
40-30

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM
She must be really going for her chances ...

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
4-4... she can't lose this!!!!!!!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
0-15

ajmo!
15-15

ajmo!
30-15

mikireturns
One serve game ... one break Miki. Play like your dog's life is on the line, or something.

ajmo!
40-15..don't Blew It!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hold!

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
BLOW it

croat123
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
5-4 come on!

mikireturns
She held????

mikireturns
Your dog will be attacked by mutant birds from space, Mirjana. Remember that.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
:lol: this people on bbc radio are so stupid... saying isner won 78-76 and that they played 3 days, match more than 40 hours :lol:

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Backhand return winner for 15-15

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
5-5..oh

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
30-15 on Miki's serve

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
40-15

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Mirjana holds!
Ajla lost 7-6 in third, it would be disaster if Mirjana would also.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
what is HAPPENING!???????

volume3d
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
won 75 in third:)!

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM
NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!!!

Her biggest win since the 1990s. I Cannot believe it!

croat123
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajmo!
She broke to love, ending the match with big backhand! :worship:

mikireturns
Top 30 Vinci!

Miki must feel like a million bucks right now!!!!!!!

She dug it out!!!!

networthy
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Oh. My. God.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
She broke to love, ending the match with big backhand! :worship:

Get OUT!!!! Way to finish, Miki, you freaky drama-provider.

Truly her biggest quality win in forever and ever.

Her dog shall live.

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
And she has a day to rest tomorrow. Next will probably be Hlavackova, who Mirjana defeated last year in Birmingham in a match that looked a lot like this one today. She also won doubles at Roland Garros, I think. But, ok, she still has to defeat Morita tomorrow.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Massive Win.

SERVivor
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I used to have normal blood pressure. I am not sure now. She was broken back each time she broke, so it is fitting she broke knowing she wouldn't have to serve afterwards. What a see saw match.

Ballbasher
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Miki. :inlove: :yeah: :speakles: Best. win. in. ages. :D
Now rest up tomorrow. :)

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM
She kept her first serve in the 60% region, though. It was crucial. And she was returning Vinci's first serve well. Awesome win over a truly quality player. She will feel loads of confidence going into the next match, no matter who she plays.

ma re
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Unbelievable!!! Just when you think she cannot beat a 90 year-old with a broken hip anymore, she goes on to make her biggest win in probably a decade, after a real THRILLER! Way to go Miki:)

And what was even more encouraging to hear was the fact that she was clearly, mentally IN this match. Commentators were saying something about swearing and shreaking too - i.e. the old Miki is back:lol:

Delighted for her, best of luck for the rest of the week!

Oh btw, here's some appropriate music for the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKIJBX3-7k :haha:

I know a few of you could kill me for posting this tacky, trashy, sorry excuse for music, but I couldn't help myself!

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
This is new. So new. Not just beating TOP 30 player but Miki keeping her focus even when she couldn't convert many chances she had. Last year if she would lose first set 7-6, there is no way she would make such a comeback. And she wasn't that loud after the first set, guy said she was telling herself ''It's ok.'' when she would miss a shot or something. This is so huge, just a moment for a big win.

I can't wait for Wimbledon.

kuroishijin
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
wow what a great result and win :worship: keep going Miki :bounce: !!!!!!!!!!

auntie janie
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
:yippee: :hearts:

Hele.
Jun 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Wow! :eek: :hearts: :bounce:

croat123
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
from espn

Mirjana Lucic defeated the only other seeded player to lose, saving a match point in a 6-7 (2), 7-6 (4), 7-5 victory against No. 5 Roberta Vinci of Italy.

"I am very impressed and very happy that I can get a win like this," Lucic said. "Sometimes when you start the grass-court season you have to prepare your mind as well as your body. You have to stay positive, and I felt like I did that."

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah Miki!!! Keep this amazing run going!!!!

croat123
Jun 8th, 2011, 01:00 AM
still can't believe she won :eek: top30 win against an in-form player who's won a wta title this year and who loves the grass
just gotta clean up the second serve

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:34 AM
She has made 3 big breakthroughs in the last month and a half:

1. First win in twelve years over a Top 40 (Makarova and an "amost win" over tough Medina)

2. First WTA quarterfinal in 12 years (Strasbourg)

3. First win over a Top 30 player in ...12 years.

She has been finding her form, surely. And Ajmo is right: it is NEW form. She couldn't manage to do any of this last year. Could not beat anyone even in the Top 60, much less Top 50 or Top 30.

Confidence. Keep it handy, Miki. As well as focus.

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Also, more from Miki via the WTA site:

Also upset in the second round Tuesday was fifth-seeded Roberta Vinci, who dropped a heart-breaker to Mirjana Lucic, 67(2) 76(4) 75. Vinci had a match point at 5-4 in the second set on Lucic's serve, but Lucic rallied to take the set. Up 6-5 in the third set, the Croat broke Vinci's serve at love to clinch the match.

"It was so difficult. It was quite windy. That was giving us both some problems," Lucic said. "And also the shadows were really tough and it was a little cold. The conditions were definitely tough, but it was the same for both of us and I'm just happy that I was able to handle it well."

Things are looking up for Lucic, who reached her first quarterfinal since 1999 last month in Strasbourg and at No.94 has her highest ranking since July 2000.

"This win definitely means a lot," Lucic said. "Especially for me, she's a difficult opponent. She mixes up her game a lot and doesn't give me a lot of rhythm, so this just proves to me that all the hard work I'm doing is paying off and all the things we're working on are finally starting to work not just in practice but in matches, and obviously today proves that we're doing the right things."

coetzergambill
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:03 AM
congrats miki, gl in the next round!

nevetssllim
Jun 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM
See my write-up in GM for reports on Miki's R1 and R2 matches. :) I have lots of nice things to say about her! :D

ma re
Jun 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM
See my write-up in GM for reports on Miki's R1 and R2 matches. :) I have lots of nice things to say about her! :D

Thanks for the reports, they're much appreciated!

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
She has made 3 big breakthroughs in the last month and a half:

1. First win in twelve years over a Top 40 (Makarova and an "amost win" over tough Medina)
2. First WTA quarterfinal in 12 years (Strasbourg)
3. First win over a Top 30 player in ...12 years.

She has been finding her form, surely. And Ajmo is right: it is NEW form. She couldn't manage to do any of this last year. Could not beat anyone even in the Top 60, much less Top 50 or Top 30.

:yeah: Now let's all keep all of this in mind when Miki suffers her next bad loss. Eyes on the prize! :kiss:

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Indeed, much obliged for the reports! Very well-assessed! I swear it's a carnival freak show any time Alexandra Stevenson and her mother take to the courts -- as if they were the Empress and Dowager Empress of Moldavia, or something. Oh hell, the elder Stevenson "walking with a pronounced limp". I nearly fell off the chair when I read that.

Of course the limp was "pronounced"! No other way it could be with her.

The woman pulls the weirdest stunts; she and her superstar offspring. It wouldn't be a "Stevenson Experience" unless the trainer was called as often as possible for those priceless Lloyds of London-insured shoulders of Alexandra. The mother takes the cake, though. It would not surprise me if one day she threw a rubber chicken onto the court as Alexandra's opponent was serving, or perhaps just dropped her sweatsuit pants and took a random dump on the sidelines to gross Lexy's opponent into absolute paralysis (and, thus, default).

At that point, Alexandra would be awarded the "win", promptly grab the umpire's microphone, curtsey four times to all corners of the "crowd" of 23 people and say: "I'd like to thank my many hundreds of fans for coming out to support me today. Most of you know me as a world-class dancer, in addition to an all-time great tennis legend. But, of course, my gifts are beyond limit and I am now being aggressively pursued by several major record companies and film producers, in addition to the hordes of obsessed lesbians who, as you know, have forever haunted me. Yes, fans and friends, I am a riveting dramatic actress and a trained singer. Please stand and put your hands to your hearts as I prepare to enthrall you with an a capella version of the American national anthem."

Would not surprise me in the least.

As for Mirjana -- kudos to her for pluck and persistence even in the face of flubbed overheads. Her self-critiques are always worth their weight in gold. Loved her "shoot myself in the head" line. Oh man. I have likewise heard her scream some almost unrepeatable things at herself over the last few years at matches:

"Why don't you lay down on this baseline and DIE?"

"This is insane, I am so f&%king bad. Why should I be alive on EARTH?!"

"Not another drop shot! Do I have a brain out here?"

Yeah, Miss Mirjana lets it rip when she is trying really hard out there. Squeals and screams of all decibel levels after especially hideous errors. "Crowds" always chuckle (particularly when there has been more than 40 or 50 people).

Hope she goes full speed ahead in the next round and has a blast. Will be very much looking forward to your reports!

tennismaster8820
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
mikireturns congrats for reaching +1000 posts! :yeah: :lol:

Good luck to Mirjana in next match!

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
1000!!!??? Oh, hell, I didn't notice.

I'm a rabid Mirjana-junkie; guess it's official. Time for rehab.:rocker2:

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
"Why don't you lay down on this baseline and DIE?"

"This is insane, I am so f&%king bad. Why should I be alive on EARTH?!"

"Not another drop shot! Do I have a brain out here?"

:lol: Oh, Miki! :hearts:

ajmo!
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249617_206578729383251_187703891270735_545052_1440 35_n.jpg

Mirjana Lucic meeting with a ballboy who was injured during her match last night. Spent a few minutes with the kid and gave him a personalized autographed visor. Cheers Mirjana!!!

qwertytx
Jun 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249617_206578729383251_187703891270735_545052_1440 35_n.jpg

Mirjana Lucic meeting with a ballboy who was injured during her match last night. Spent a few minutes with the kid and gave him a personalized autographed visor. Cheers Mirjana!!!

Sorry if I should already know this, but is Miki married? I just noticed she had a huge rock on her ring finger.

ajmo!
Jun 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Next is Hlavackova. At least Mirjana knows what to expect. They played last year in Birmingham and Mirjana won 7-6 3-6 7-5. Hlavackova was useless on clay this year but she really likes grass and she proved that in her first two matches. 6-3 6-1 against Craybas and 7-6 6-2 against Morita is really good.
She's also really confident because of her latest doubles results. With Hradecka she won ROLAND GARROS(without dropping a set) and with Voskoboeva Brussels. And today Hlavackova was serving at 70%, had 5 aces and no DF's.

It will be hard, good luck Mirjana!

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Miki will be eager and she is a better player than she was last year when she faced Hlavackova. Yep, it'll be tough. But she will relish the slugfest and a chance to fight, full of confidence. Doubles wins are cool for Hlvackova, but Miki has sucked at doubles, pretty much this season (so far) and singles is still singles. Miki knows a thing or two on grass, as well. GL to her. I expect her to be especially focused for this contest. Mainly, I think I am glad she is not facing another backboard Japanese girl.

PS, to the friend above who asked about the ring on ML's finger: She is engaged to be married later this year, if all goes to plan. The ring is a little "big" but, you know, a guy has gotta impress these Croatian beauties.

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
1st up on court 2 tomorrow.

rucolo
Jun 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Mirjana back on grass. Great win against Vinci! :worship::bounce:

Also, more from Miki via the WTA site:

Also upset in the second round Tuesday was fifth-seeded Roberta Vinci, who dropped a heart-breaker to Mirjana Lucic, 67(2) 76(4) 75. Vinci had a match point at 5-4 in the second set on Lucic's serve, but Lucic rallied to take the set. Up 6-5 in the third set, the Croat broke Vinci's serve at love to clinch the match.

"It was so difficult. It was quite windy. That was giving us both some problems," Lucic said. "And also the shadows were really tough and it was a little cold. The conditions were definitely tough, but it was the same for both of us and I'm just happy that I was able to handle it well."

Things are looking up for Lucic, who reached her first quarterfinal since 1999 last month in Strasbourg and at No.94 has her highest ranking since July 2000.

"This win definitely means a lot," Lucic said. "Especially for me, she's a difficult opponent. She mixes up her game a lot and doesn't give me a lot of rhythm, so this just proves to me that all the hard work I'm doing is paying off and all the things we're working on are finally starting to work not just in practice but in matches, and obviously today proves that we're doing the right things."

Keep going, Mirjana! :inlove:

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Miki's off to a good start: 5-2 :yeah: 2 aces, 1 DF :)

ma re
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
OK, for those who tune in a bit late for this:

- Hlavackova started strong with a love game and a 100% first serve in her first service game
- there wasn't too much drama until the fifth game, where Hlavackova goes up to 40:15, but then Miki makes 4 points in a row to break
- Miki now serving for the set at 5:2, double break...obviously

:)

ma re
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
First set in the bag after half an hour.

And now some music...:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd--tIkrVoA

P. S. Seriously, Miki should hold on to this new coach like there's no tomorrow!!!

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
First set to Mirjana 6-2 in 30 minutes. :hatoff:

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
OK, for those who tune in a bit late for this:

- Hlavackova started strong with a love game and a 100% first serve in her first service game
- there wasn't too much drama until the fifth game, where Hlavackova goes up to 40:15, but then Miki makes 4 points in a row to break
- Miki now serving for the set at 5:2, double break...obviously

:)

Thanks! :)