PDA

View Full Version : Steffi Graf - The Wimbledon of Tennis

Steffi-fan
May 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
A thread for our Steffi ,who won 7 Wimbledon championships at age 27 and so i titled her "The Wimbledon of Tennis".

Share your views,memories and discussion of Stefanie at Wimbledon.

http://i52.tinypic.com/mh9d28.jpg

Steffi-fan
May 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Steffi played her first ever Wimbledon match on 24th June,1984.
Where she defeated American player, Mascarin in 3 set marathon match 6-4,5-7,10-8

austinrunner
May 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
We already have at least 4 threads devoted to her:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=21726
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=8353
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=399386
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=420141

Refer to the Thread Finder on the first page.

Rollo
May 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
We already have at least 4 threads devoted to her:
Refer to the Thread Finder on the first page.

thanks Austinrunner.

Hi Steffi-fan:wavey:

If it's a general Steffi thread Austinrunner has given you some good links and I can close this thread.

But a thread specifically about Steffi at Wimbledon would be great. Please carry on if that's what you want.:)

Steffi-fan
May 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Respected Rollo,
Austinrunner had given great links,but it's not a general thread and specifically about Steffi at Wimbledon.

As you say it would be great and hope you won't close it and keep on the way.
Reply,

Steffi-fan
May 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM
1984 Wimbledon Article
Kicker-Sportmagazin
July 1984
"Little Magician"
The British admire Steffi Graf at Wimbledon

Wimbledon's Centre Court was completely full when Claudia Kohde stepped onto the famous turf for her round of 16 match against three-time champion Chris Evert.

Many wanted to be witness to the surprise that not a few experts had quite believed to be possible of the 20-year-old from Saarbrücken. But as so often happens in such situations, the nerves can't keep pace with the ambitious expectations that the current best German tennis player also had felt was a quite realistic assessment of her chances. Claudia Kohde was quite obviously not up to the pressure, which mounted and weighed heavily on her --hesitating and afraid where determination and willingness to take risks would have been in place-- stumbled into the traps which get her again and again.

After 73 minutes, already it had collapsed, the bold dream of advancing to the round of the last eight and equaling Bettina Bunge, who had even reached the semifinals two years ago.

Steffi Graf also lost in the same round. But in contrast to Claudia Kohde, the hopeful talent from Brühl near Mannheim went out with flags flying high. After the sad loss against England's last hope, Jo Durie, she at first couldn't hold back her tears. In her disappointment over the missed chance to march into the quarterfinals as the youngest player ever in the now-100-year history of the women's tournament, she even had almost forgotten the obligatory curtsy toward the Royal Box, from which the Duke and Duchess of Kent had watched her match with complete admiration. The winner, eight years her elder and better acquainted with the customs in the Mecca of the white-clothed sport, kindly drew her attention to the omission.

The duel on the grass was often enough the other way around [from the outcome]. For the small, almost fragile-looking little doll repeatedly showed the 10th seeded favorite how world class tennis is played. At the end, Jo Durie could be overjoyed at having still pulled the win out of the fire after being down 1-3 in the third set. "It was nerve wracking," she admitted afterward. "Steffi was quite calm, while I became inwardly more flustered and impatient. She may just be 15-years-old, but she has a much older head on her young shoulders!" The relief of still "having survived" this one time more was unmistakable.

Even in the next encounter, it could be she who tastes defeat, since the experts at Wimbledon were in agreement that Steffi Graf still has a lot to offer the tennis world. Of that, the bright/quick tennis flea herself is obviously firmly convinced, as well. "I want to be champion here one day," said Steffi Graf, very pertly, and made no secret of it that she wants to achieve this goal in two or three years. Her tears, of which she was no way ashamed, were long since dried and her eyes looked straight ahead.

The headlines of the sports pages of London's daily press a day later belonged to Jo Durie, of course, but absolute admiration was aimed at the "little magician" from Germany -- as she was called in one of the headlines. During her first appearance on the venerable Centre Court, she didn't show a trace of nervousness, and even set to work courageously. "Her game looks at least five years older than she actually is," so it went in one of the street papers. And an especially vivid description read thus: "This little tiger on gazelle's feet brightly illuminated a grand theater!"

Steffi-fan
May 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
A beautiful winning smile from 1996.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aputv0L4Udk/TVao1O90sbI/AAAAAAAABQE/9HHzcMrR17w/s1600/steffi-graf-1996wim2.jpg

Rollo
May 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Topic=Graf's Wimbledon years.

Steffi-fan
May 30th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks Rollo.Now i can carry on the way of track.

Steffi-fan
May 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM
What are your favourite Steffi Graf matches at Wimbledon?

alfajeffster
May 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM

I'd have to go with 88 and 89 finals with Navratilova- all court tennis at its best. Of course, the 1992 final is right up there, if not for quality of dominating play, but the fact that only a few weeks earlier, were it not for Steffi going down the line instead of crosscourt with that final forehand. The loss was heartbreaking, and only Graf could regroup so quickly and play such destroying tennis at Wimbledon, and in a much-interrupted match that took all day with the rain delays, she maintained her devastating form. I can't think of another player who could have achieved such a feat.

R-K-M
May 31st, 2011, 05:39 AM
I'd have to go with 88 and 89 finals with Navratilova- all court tennis at its best. Of course, the 1992 final is right up there, if not for quality of dominating play, but the fact that only a few weeks earlier, were it not for Steffi going down the line instead of crosscourt with that final forehand. The loss was heartbreaking, and only Graf could regroup so quickly and play such destroying tennis at Wimbledon, and in a much-interrupted match that took all day with the rain delays, she maintained her devastating form. I can't think of another player who could have achieved such a feat.

Very nice post. I like to remember some other fans that Steffi didn't comment on grunting at 1992 Wimbledon or at anywhere,but media sounds like she's one of them with Navratilova who against grunting.

I born in 1987, First time i saw her on TV at 1993 Wimbledon Final(off course i didn't have a favorite until 1998). After some reviews,watching matches and highlights,i did this list as my favorite.

1) 1988 Wimbledon Final ( I love whole the match as 92 final)
2) 1992 Wimbledon Final
3) 1993 Wimbledon Final
4) 1995 Wimbledon Final
5) 1999 Wimbledon Quarter Final ( when I'm an active fan)
6) 1991 Wimbledon Final
7) 1989 Wimbledon Quarter Final ( Arantxa played with lot of confidence ,but Steffi didn't spared then and beat with her magical game on grass)
8) 1989 Wimbledon Final
9) (Don't rush ,will added after a deep review)
10) (Don't rush ,will added after a deep review)

Rollo
May 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM

I loved her win over Venus in 1999.

The 1995 final has to be tops.

And I know it's a Graf thread, but I also enjoyed Lori Mcneil's upset win in 1994 too. Lori was tough that day.

The 1987 and 1988 finals have always stayed with me as good examples of how a player develops. In 1987 Steffi was tough but just fell short because Martina could exploit that slice backhand. In 1988 Graf added a dipping topspin backhand to counter the net rushing.

justineheninfan
May 31st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Destroying Seles in 92 was impressive and a pleasure to witness. It soundly destroyed any silly myth some had Seles was unbeatable.

I also enjoyed the 88 final where she dethroned the all time queen of grass as the new best grass courter in the World.

The 1995 semifinal and final were excellent.

The 1999 quarterfinal was only great in that it was a testement to Grafs will and hunger to prove she could still hang with and beat the young ones, even though tennis wise she was a sad shadow of her old self by then.

alfajeffster
May 31st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Destroying Seles in 92 was impressive and a pleasure to witness. It soundly destroyed any silly myth some had Seles was unbeatable.

I also enjoyed the 88 final where she dethroned the all time queen of grass as the new best grass courter in the World.

The 1995 semifinal and final were excellent.

The 1999 quarterfinal was only great in that it was a testement to Grafs will and hunger to prove she could still hang with and beat the young ones, even though tennis wise she was a sad shadow of her old self by then.

I'm glad I never saw the loss to Amy Frazier at the San Diego tournament. I'm sure she was happy, but I was so looking forward to seeing her again at the U.S.Open. You know, I used to record matches all the time, and I don't think I recorded another match after she retired. I didn't even watch much tennis until Justine came along. I just knew Steffi would admire her game and commitment to fitness and doing what it takes. By the way, and not to change the subject too much, but one of my favorite matches is the 1991 U.S. Women's Hardcourt title from San Antonio. Graf started out slow, but then systematically dismantled then #1 Seles, who was playing well but still could do nothing to stop Graf.

preap
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think the 1988 final has to be tops. Down 5-7 0-2, Graf elevated her game into another stratosphere - thereby making the greatest Wimbledon champion of all-time look almost ordinary (and Navratilova wasn't playing bad tennis by any means). It's blissful watching the young Graf play with such reckless, near-vindictive abandon on BOTH the forehand and backhand wings. As a previous poster mentioned, the incorporation of the topspin backhand into her armoury was crucial to this triumph, as was her commitment to moving forward when necessary. For me, this match is the pre-eminent example of Graf's "all-court" abilities, not to mention her perpetual hunger for victory. Historically as well, I think it exemplifies the changing of the guard. Graf had been #1 for a long while up until this point, but taking out vintage Navratilova on her home turf in such spectacular fashion really did underscore her arrival as the new queen of the women's game.

Other great Wimbledon moments:

* 1989 F vs. Navratilova - similarly high-octane tennis... perhaps even superior, given Martina's determination to win back her crown.
* 1991 F vs. Sabatini - a scrappy match overall by both players IMO. However, in the last two games Graf found that champion's gear that separated her from almost all her contemporaries. Moreover, this was arguably one of THE most important wins of her career. By this point Seles had established herself as the dominant force in the women's game, and Sabatini v2.0 very much had Graf's number in their most recent meetings with that effective S+V game. Steffi hadn't won a GS for over a year, and if she'd lost this one who knows how long it would've taken for her to recover her confidence.
* 1992 F vs. Seles - absolutely astonishing, given the heartbreaking loss at RG just a few weeks earlier. Was Seles hampered by the lack of grunting? Perhaps. But even if she was screeching to the high heavens it's unlikely that she would've taken out Graf in THIS sort of form at SW19.
* 1995 F vs. Sanchez Vicario - THAT game. 'nuff said.
* 1999 QF vs. V Williams - the greatest Wimbledon champion of the 1990s meets her successor for the 2000s. Didn't Steffi herself say that this was the best match she'd ever played on grass? Watching that third set again, one can understand why. Graf somehow matches Williams pound for pound in terms of hard-hitting, but it's her variety and creativity on court that separates her from the younger player. It's just a shame that this wasn't the final...

Oh, and no discussion of Graf's Wimbledon career would be complete without THIS golden moment:

PlA_hL3NyyU

:worship:

Rollo
Jun 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
:lol: That Steffi will you marry moment was a hoot-the killer was her answer!

Stef-fan
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hmmm, Steffi Graf at Wimbledon, that has been a major part of my childhood and many memories associated with the matches. The one match I remember the most has nothing to do with the quality of tennis or Steffi's play but my feelings as a kid that I contributed something as well. 93 Wimbledon final, I still distintly remember watching the match with my dad on TV in our living room and me, fervently praying at each point of the game of the third set for Steffi to somehow comeback and win, and when she did, I was just ecstastic and happy that my prayers did contribute to the win ;););), somehow I felt I was part of the game and not just a spectator.

Found this intersting quote by a famous Bengali (Indian) author and my feelings are similar to his about Steffi and Wimbledon except that she was more of a role model for me.
"If you like Steffi Graf, I adore her. Oft in the stilly night, fond memories remind me of waking up gazing at her Wimbledon lifting smile or her punishing forehand booming across the court -depending on which end of the bed I had crashed at night. Walls in those days were for us to paste posters of those we liked, not yet for liking the pasted posts of others. Her Golden Grand Slam chronologically coincided with my furtive footsteps into adolescence, and the crush that I developed as a consequence has lingered on undiminished through full manhood."

http://coffeebeanmusings.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/the-art-of-sen/

AlwaysGraf
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hmmm, Steffi Graf at Wimbledon, that has been a major part of my childhood and many memories associated with the matches. The one match I remember the most has nothing to do with the quality of tennis or Steffi's play but my feelings as a kid that I contributed something as well. 93 Wimbledon final, I still distintly remember watching the match with my dad on TV in our living room and me, fervently praying at each point of the game of the third set for Steffi to somehow comeback and win, and when she did, I was just ecstastic and happy that my prayers did contribute to the win ;););), somehow I felt I was part of the game and not just a spectator.

Found this intersting quote by a famous Bengali (Indian) author and my feelings are similar to his about Steffi and Wimbledon except that she was more of a role model for me.
"If you like Steffi Graf, I adore her. Oft in the stilly night, fond memories remind me of waking up gazing at her Wimbledon lifting smile or her punishing forehand booming across the court -depending on which end of the bed I had crashed at night. Walls in those days were for us to paste posters of those we liked, not yet for liking the pasted posts of others. Her Golden Grand Slam chronologically coincided with my furtive footsteps into adolescence, and the crush that I developed as a consequence has lingered on undiminished through full manhood."

http://coffeebeanmusings.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/the-art-of-sen/

lol thats the match that started it all for me-i was living at home in ireland and i remember watching this with my mum and dad and my brother (we were all on the bed together) i was so nervous and i was drawn to this amazing creature on the tv-i wish i could go back and feel what i felt now-to look from the outside and see what exactly it was that attracted me to her-i dunno at 10 yrs old what was it-little did i know at that age i had found my idol who would take me all the way through to 16 yrs old-funny ive actually followed henin for more yrs since i was so in to tennis at the start of her career-but it was steffi who left an impact on my young life-while other youngsters looked up to english footballers and irish gaelic football players i looked up to this german girl-even now, the way she leads her life she's still a role model :) i wonder if she realises how much of an impact/influence she had on so many people..she is a true superstar

DennisFitz
Jun 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think the 1988 final has to be tops. Down 5-7 0-2, Graf elevated her game into another stratosphere - thereby making the greatest Wimbledon champion of all-time look almost ordinary (and Navratilova wasn't playing bad tennis by any means). It's blissful watching the young Graf play with such reckless, near-vindictive abandon on BOTH the forehand and backhand wings. As a previous poster mentioned, the incorporation of the topspin backhand into her armoury was crucial to this triumph, as was her commitment to moving forward when necessary. For me, this match is the pre-eminent example of Graf's "all-court" abilities, not to mention her perpetual hunger for victory. Historically as well, I think it exemplifies the changing of the guard. Graf had been #1 for a long while up until this point, but taking out vintage Navratilova on her home turf in such spectacular fashion really did underscore her arrival as the new queen of the women's game.
Agree. First time is always great, especially when you dethrone a champion.
It was a very interesting match. Graf started so strongly, served for the first set, and really looked like she would go on to a straight set win. Steffi let up slightly, Martina came on strong, and suddenly won 6 games in a row. And I didn't think Steffi played badly. Martina elevated her game, as she can on grass, and gained some confidence. I recall that when Martina led 7-5,2-0, Steffi said to herself, 'come on, you're better than last year', as Martina led by the same score. And Graf then really turned it around.

I know it doesn't work this way, but if you start the match when Graf is down 5-7,0-2, she actually beats Martina 6-0,6-1, on grass, in the Wimbledon final!
It was still an amazing run. And something I don't think has ever been duplicated when two great champions met in a major final, with one absolutely dominating.

Other great Wimbledon moments:

* 1989 F vs. Navratilova - similarly high-octane tennis... perhaps even superior, given Martina's determination to win back her crown.
* 1991 F vs. Sabatini - a scrappy match overall by both players IMO. However, in the last two games Graf found that champion's gear that separated her from almost all her contemporaries. Moreover, this was arguably one of THE most important wins of her career. By this point Seles had established herself as the dominant force in the women's game, and Sabatini v2.0 very much had Graf's number in their most recent meetings with that effective S+V game. Steffi hadn't won a GS for over a year, and if she'd lost this one who knows how long it would've taken for her to recover her confidence.
* 1992 F vs. Seles - absolutely astonishing, given the heartbreaking loss at RG just a few weeks earlier. Was Seles hampered by the lack of grunting? Perhaps. But even if she was screeching to the high heavens it's unlikely that she would've taken out Graf in THIS sort of form at SW19.
* 1995 F vs. Sanchez Vicario - THAT game. 'nuff said.
* 1999 QF vs. V Williams - the greatest Wimbledon champion of the 1990s meets her successor for the 2000s. Didn't Steffi herself say that this was the best match she'd ever played on grass? Watching that third set again, one can understand why. Graf somehow matches Williams pound for pound in terms of hard-hitting, but it's her variety and creativity on court that separates her from the younger player. It's just a shame that this wasn't the final...

The 1989 final was of an extremely high quality as well. I think Martina played better than in 1988. But so did Steffi.

The 1991 final was a very important one for Graf. Psychologically, it was a huge hurdle for her.

The 1993 final was one where Steffi was lucky. But she was a bit unlucky too. In the opening set, Graf led 5-3, 30-0. She hit a shot that she thought landed on the line. TV replay showed it in. Steffi bitterly complained, to no avail. She wound up losing that game, but still winning the set. I thought at the time that if Graf secured the first set more easily, she may not have enabled Novotna to turn things around.
Jana did a fantastic job, and outplayed Steffi for a set and a half. But I believe Steffi raised her game, and with some help from Jana, that is what made the difference.

sambansal
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
But, i am fan of Rafa Nadal, and i m sure he will win Wimbledon 2011 (http://merinews.com/wimbledon/index.jsp) title as well after winning French Open Title.

alfajeffster
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
...The 1993 final was one where Steffi was lucky. But she was a bit unlucky too. In the opening set, Graf led 5-3, 30-0. She hit a shot that she thought landed on the line. TV replay showed it in. Steffi bitterly complained, to no avail. She wound up losing that game, but still winning the set. I thought at the time that if Graf secured the first set more easily, she may not have enabled Novotna to turn things around.
Jana did a fantastic job, and outplayed Steffi for a set and a half. But I believe Steffi raised her game, and with some help from Jana, that is what made the difference.

I remember that serve Steffi hit- one of the worst calls in a Wimbledon final, that's for sure. I always got the feeling though, that given how little Steffi argued line calls over her career, that it actually helped give the moments when she did reason to pause. Stefan Edberg and Bjorn Borg (and yes, to a certain extent Mats Wilander) all had this not arguing line calls mentality working for them.

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM
125 Wimbledon Memories
From official Wimbledon site:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/index.html

1988:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-golden-slam.html

The Golden Grand Slam
Video:http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/content/video/125-memories/1988-GRAF_v_NAVRATILOVA_360_288_1500.flv

by Alexandra Willis

"I think it is something not many people after me will achieve," said Steffi Graf, defeating Gabriela Sabatini 6-3, 6-3 in the final of the Olympics in Seoul. "Winning the Grand Slam first and the gold medal afterwards. That's amazing," said the 19-year-old German. "I'm very excited."

Only four players had won the coveted calendar Grand Slam of Majors - the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open, in the same calendar year. But none of them, not Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court, Don Budge, or Rod Laver, had ever won an Olympics gold medal as well. Admittedly, given the absence of tennis from the Olympic games between 1924 and 1988, they did not have a chance. But that did not detract from Graf's achievement.

Registering a 40-match unbeaten streak, and a win loss record for the year of 66-2, Graf's miraculous run came very close to being undone half-way through the hurdle, at Wimbledon. She had dropped just two sets in the course of winning the Australian Open, and pulverized Natalia Zvereva 6-0, 6-0 in the French Open final, the only double bagel ever in a French Open singles final, and the first in a Grand Slam final since 1911.

But Wimbledon was different. Facing 31-year-old Martina Navratilova, the doyenne in resident on Centre Court, the teenage Graf was trailing a set and 0-2 when the multi-Wimbledon champion finessed a drop volley into a an expanse of empty court. Normally, that would have been that. But Graf bounded across the turf and popped the ball up past the defending champion. Breaking Navratilova's serve again and again, carpet bombing her forehand around the court, Graf triumphed 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 for her first Wimbledon title. She even had to be shown how to hold the trophy for the crowd.

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
1991:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-sabatini.html

STEFFI STRIKES AGAIN
Video:http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/content/video/125-memories/1991-GRAF_v_SABATINIi_360_288_1500.flv

by Alexandra Willis

One of SW19's greatest champions arrived at Wimbledon in 1991 having suffered rather a seesaw period, registering one of the worst defeats of her career against Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the French Open semi-finals, losing her first 6-0 set since 1984.

But, as is so often the case, the green grass of the All England Club gave the formerly indomitable German a boost, powering her way to the final. Coming up against friend and rival Gabriela Sabatini, the odds on form were in the Argentine's favour, having beaten Graf in four tournaments in the spring.

But Graf was always capable of something at special at Wimbledon, and so it proved, the German rallying back from dropping the second set, and holding her nerve to win an epic Centre Court final 6-4 3-6 8-6, the longest final for 15 years.

"Everyone will remember this match," said celebrated commentator Dan Maskell. He was right.

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
1993:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-novotna.html

EPIC ENCOUNTER

Alexandra Willis

Steffi Graf's fifth Wimbledon title was almost overshadowed by her opponent, Jana Novotna conspiring to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after leading by a double break of serve in the third set. Graf looked down and out as Novotna went for broke on a second serve while leading 4-1 in the third set, having romped through the second set 6-1. But whether it was nerves or simply getting ahead of herself, she missed, and the whole match changed.

The German storming back to win 7-6, 1-6, 6-4, Novotna cried her eyes out on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder during the trophy presentation, in what has become one of Wimbledon's most iconic images. "Don't worry Jana, I know you can do it," said the Duchess to Novotna. And she was right, the Czech player triumphing in her third Wimbledon final in 1998.

"With the way Jana was playing and the way I was playing, yes, I'd kind of lost it," said Graf, who yelped for joy after pulling off a remarkable turn-around. "I didn't give up but I didn't have a very positive feeling."

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
1994:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-mcneil.html

MAJOR UPSET

Alexandra Willis

1993 presented a timely reminder that no champion is safe at Wimbledon. The first Tuesday dawned with an ill wind that blasted through Wimbledon's elite like a bull in a china shop, rattling nerves, stealing the strawberries, flipping the table with a glorious smash. And there was no greater fall than the world No.1 and five-time champion Steffi Graf, a victim of what the legendary Fred Perry described as "wet, greasy and slippery" gusts.

Graf and the wind proved no match for the contrasting cool intensity of her fist round opponent, the unseeded Lori McNeil of the U.S. The German, winner of the last three Wimbledons and five of the last six, was blown out of the draw faster than any other defending women's champ in 101 years, and after she cracked nobody was safe.

Holding off far more than two rain delays, McNeil dictated the play and tempo throughout the match, serving well and producing drop volleys that Grad had no answer to. Triumphing 7-5, 7-6, it was the best showing by African-Americans at a Grand Slam event since Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon, in 1975, and was received with a huge ovation from the rather wet Centre Court crowd.

It was, McNeil said, the best moment she has ever known. "It seemed very short, but at the same time—if this makes any sense—it seemed very long and very loud," she said. "It was a great feeling, a great moment for me."

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
1995:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-sanchez.html

CLASSIC RIVALS
Video:http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/content/video/125-memories/1995-GRAF_v_SANCHEZ_360_288_1500.flv
Alexandra Willis

Steffi Graf won her sixth Wimbledon title but was forced to work hard in the final by her erstwhile rival Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, eventually triumphing 4-6, 6-1, 7-5.

The Spaniard, a clear underdog on grass, dropped only five points on her own serve to take the first set with some exquisite tennis. But Graf battled back, running through the second set before sealing the win with a break in a titanic 20-minute 11th game in the third set, which featured a boggling 13 deuces and 18 game points .

Sanchez Vicario attacked Graf's backhand with such consistency that the German spent much of the game camped in the tramlines on the edge of the court. When Sanchez Vicario seemed set to close out on what was her 13th game point, Graf threw herself across the court in an almost Becker-like fashion to reach the volley. On her own sixth game point, Graf at last found a powerful backhand drive to seal the break of serve and effectively the match.

The Centre Court crowd applauded for the entire changeover, the euphoria continuing as Graf served out for the title. Graf let out an enormous sigh of relief and a cry of joy. She won seven Wimbledons among her 22 Grand Slams but never was she forced to fight harder for victory.

Steffistian
Jun 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
1999:
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th-championships/history/championships-snapshots/graf-williams.html

OLD MEETS NEW

Alexandra Willis

Old met new in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, as 19-year-old Venus Williams came up against Steffi Graf, on a high after claiming the French Open. It was a second quarter-final in a row at SW19 for Venus, who hussled and tussled to beat Anna Kournikova in the fourth round.

But Graf had not won seven Wimbledon titles by just ambling about. The seven-time champion neutralized the young Venus's powerful hitting in typical athletic style, running down every groundstroke that her opponent pummeled over the net, and sending it back just as hard. Interrupted four times by rain, both players were forced to produce some of their best tennis, Graf in particular mixing it up with drop shots and net play to keep Williams guessing.

Converting on her first match point, Graf hopped up and down, punching the air and screaming with delight.

"It rarely happens in the quarter-final to play that kind of tennis," said Graf, remarking that it was the best she had ever had to play to get to the semi-finals at Wimbledon."I played very aggressive on the break points. I told myself I wanted to go for my shots and not be tentative."

djul14
Jun 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
The 1988 final against Navratilva is my favorite one, I discovered it not a long time ago, but what a level of tennis ! And this two playing each other, with their opposite styles, it's still worth watching.

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Profile from Wimbledon Site:-
http://aeltc2010.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about/history/steffi_graf.html

Germany's Steffi Graf won the Wimbledon Singles crown seven times in a stellar career that included a Golden Grand Slam in 1988.

Steffi Graf was definitely the player of her era, dominating the women’s game for over a decade to win 22 singles Grand Slam titles. That’s four more than Martina Navratilova collected, though the ex-Czech totalled many more when you bring her doubles achievements into the equation.

Hailing from Bruhl in Germany, the 5’9" Graf first came onto the Grand Slam scene in 1983 aged 14. Two years later her potential became evident as she reached the last four of the US Open, a few months after I first met her at her family home. Looking back I can remember feeling that here was someone destined for the big time. Whilst quiet and modest, an underlying determination was always evident.

She revealed then that she had only played on grass "about four times", and, whilst a keen admirer of Wimbledon champions Martina Navratilova - "I think her game is perfect" - plus Jimmy Connors’ "fighting qualities" and John McEnroe’s "touch and feel", she didn’t expect to make much of an impact at SW19 for a few years to come.

And she was right. She won The Championships for the first time in 1988, having reached the final of all the five previous Slams, losing just two of them. That year was to prove her greatest year. She not only made the Grand Slam - winning all four majors in a calendar year, only the third woman to do so - she turned it into a Golden Slam by taking the Olympic title when tennis returned to the Games in Seoul.

She reigned as world No. 1 for a record 377 weeks and in total won 106 tour titles, all contributing to her US$21,895,277 prize-money fortune. She was named World Champion by the International Tennis Federation on seven occasions, another record.

Injuries started to affect her career in 1996 and during the ensuing years she underwent a series of operations to remove bone chips in her left knee and both feet. Chronic back pain also hampered her during this period but she eventually retired when she was beaten in a second round match by Amy Frazier in San Diego, in August 1999.

Her fans remain numerous and it was one of her more fanatical ones that shocked the world in April 1993 when he stabbed Monica Seles in the back during a change-over in a match played in Hamburg in order to help Graf regain the world number-one slot.

She won Wimbledon seven times and her last appearance at a Slam was at the 1999 final, when she lost in straight sets to Lindsay Davenport. She refused to confirm it would be her last Wimbledon and when later asked why she hadn’t, she simply replied: "It was Lindsay’s day."

However, a few weeks earlier she had won the French for a sixth time in a classic encounter, destroying Martina Hingis 6-2 in the third set. It proved to be a traumatic experience for the Swiss, then No.1 in the world, who had come within three points of winning her first Roland Garros title. Hingis never recovered, losing in the first round of The Championships four weeks later.

Graf married Andre Agassi in October 2001 and gave birth to a son later that same month, and a daughter in October 2003.

As expected, on her retirement and subsequent marriage, Graf has avoided the limelight, preferring to watch her husband in action from the stands whenever possible. There has been no mention of any form of comeback, though she was ranked three when she announced her retirement. But a buzz of excitement was felt in tennis circles when her husband announced, during Melbourne last January, that she had agreed to play Mixed Doubles with him at the French Open should he go on to win the Australian Open singles. He did, but was then forced to admit she hadn’t agreed and would not play!

A determined lady who never abused her position and was always considerate of others; admired world-wide for her graciousness in defeat and victory, she is sorely missed on the pro circuit. And the stroke which proved her most striking weapon, her sledgehammer forehand, has assured her of a place in tennis history.

Written by Barry Newcombe

STEFFI GRAF

Singles Champion: 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996
Singles Runner-up: 1987, 1999
Doubles Champion: 1988

XTN
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
The big matches have all been mentioned i.e. most of the finals. But one match I clearly remember was the 1995 quarterfinal against Mary Joe Fernandez. The match was very fiercely contested in the first 6 or 7 games. I think Graf broke Fernandez only to have Fernandez break back. Mary Joe was playing superbly and you could have been lulled into thinking it would be a tough three-setter. And at 3-3 or 4-3 I think, Steffi found another gear and ran away with it, absolutely dismantled Mary Joe who did not win another game. The match ended 6-3 6-0 and I remember the commentators saying that Mary Joe was actually playing well but Steffi was just on a different plane. I still have a VHS tape of that I think LOL, maybe I should have it converted into a DVD.

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
The big matches have all been mentioned i.e. most of the finals. But one match I clearly remember was the 1995 quarterfinal against Mary Joe Fernandez. The match was very fiercely contested in the first 6 or 7 games. I think Graf broke Fernandez only to have Fernandez break back. Mary Joe was playing superbly and you could have been lulled into thinking it would be a tough three-setter. And at 3-3 or 4-3 I think, Steffi found another gear and ran away with it, absolutely dismantled Mary Joe who did not win another game. The match ended 6-3 6-0 and I remember the commentators saying that Mary Joe was actually playing well but Steffi was just on a different plane. I still have a VHS tape of that I think LOL, maybe I should have it converted into a DVD.

Great memory XTN.I too remember the match,but i do not have that match.Any chance to upload on YouTube?

XTN
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Steffistian, I seriously doubt I can upload it on youtube, but if I ever get around to converting my tape into a DVD then I'll try to upload it. Maybe one of the amazing Graf fans on youtube like geeva or TrueGreatSteffiGraf have this match?

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I don't think geeva may upload this match,but i am sure if you don't wish to do,Candy(TrueGreatSteffiGraf) will do it.But i request to do ,because of i am trying to keep up the intention of candy.If we can make surprise her,she can work with more enthusiasm.

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Martina Navratilova v Steffi Graf (1987 - 1989)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/738450-the-10-greatest-rivalries-in-the-sport-of-tennis/page/2

If you look at the time line, it will suggest that this rivalry lasted only for three years. True, but during those three years, these two met in six major finals.

In 1987 French Open finals, Graf battled hard against the Czech - American Navratilova to win the game 6-4, 4-6, 8-6. They met against in Wimbledon and US Open the same year and Navratilova won both of them.

The year was 1989 and Graf was on her peak. She defeated Navratilova in three major finals and the world knew that they now had a new champion.

Navratilova never reached her peak in singles after that, winning only one major at Wimbledon in 1990.

This rivalry signaled the 'passing of the torch' from Navratilova to Graf, who would go on to dominate tennis like no other.

XTN
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:59 PM
well it's not that I don't wish to upload it, just that it will be difficult for me to find someone to convert my tape to DVD then for me to convert my DVD into the proper file that I can later on upload into youtube. If I ever find enough time to do that, I'll let you know.

Another memory I have of Steffi in Wimbledon was that missed overhead against Arantxa in the Wimbledon 96 final. That is the only time I ever saw Graf miss hitting the ball when attempting an overhead smash. She managed to sort of regroup and get the ball back into the court but by then she was out of position and off balanced and ASV won the point.

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
1988 Wimbledon

"It's not so bad. I'm happy for Steffi today. ... She's a nice human being. I could feel what she was feeling. I know what it is." - Martina Navratilova, Wimbledon 1988 final, press conference.
(TIME Magazine, July 18, 1988, page 26).

Hang it up, Graf tells Navratilova

By Scripps Howard News Service
July 5, 1988

WIMBLEDON, England - Martina Navratilova, vanquished by Steffi Graf in the women's final Saturday, presented Graf with a gold and diamond stickpin Sunday.

In turn, Graf presented Navratilova with some advice: Hang up the racket.

Graf said Navratilova, who had won the previous six Wimbledon titles and eight overall, should retire before her abilities deteriorate.

"If I were Martina I would quit,'' Graf said. "I think the future is going to be tough for her and I don't think she'll be able to handle being No. 2 for a long period.''

Navratilova, who says her future hinges on her health, passed on to Graf a stickpin she had received from boxer Sugar Ray Leonard last year.

"It was very nice of Martina,'' Graf said. "She said I deserved to win and that I'll win the title many times.''

XTN
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
1988 Wimbledon"If I were Martina I would quit,'' Graf said. "I think the future is going to be tough for her and I don't think she'll be able to handle being No. 2 for a long period.''

Wow, is that an accurate quote? That's not a very good thing to say!

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
well it's not that I don't wish to upload it, just that it will be difficult for me to find someone to convert my tape to DVD then for me to convert my DVD into the proper file that I can later on upload into youtube. If I ever find enough time to do that, I'll let you know.
OK,Thanks.
Another memory I have of Steffi in Wimbledon was that missed overhead against Arantxa in the Wimbledon 96 final. That is the only time I ever saw Graf miss hitting the ball when attempting an overhead smash. She managed to sort of regroup and get the ball back into the court but by then she was out of position and off balanced and ASV won the point.
Unfortunately she lost that point.

Steffistian
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wow, is that an accurate quote? That's not a very good thing to say!

Yes,off-course.But it was not in negative way. She quoted as displaying confidence to well-wisher(Martina).

Steffistian
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.livemint.com/2011/06/17192527/Green-revolution.html
The women are no exception, the “greatest” a 10-beer argument between Martina Navratilova (who won nine of 18 Slams at Wimbledon) and Steffi Graf, who won more majors on grass (seven) than elsewhere while collecting 22. One might say their games fit Wimbledon well; one might say they lifted their games to fit at Wimbledon.

Steffistian
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Graf voted 3rd(1st in ladies) most favorite Wimbledon player on the poll of official Wimbledon site,2011.
http://hsbc.wimbledon.com/default.aspx
Favourite Wimbledon Player?

Roger Federer: 25%
Rafael Nadal: 13%
Steffi Graf: 10%
Andre Agassi: 6%
Bjorn Borg: 6%
Pete Sampras: 5%
John McEnroe: 4%
Stefan Edberg: 3%
Boris Becker: 3%
Martina Navratilova: 3%