PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Adults Estimate That 25% of Americans Are Gay or Lesbian

Williamsser
May 28th, 2011, 04:05 AM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9324/t1eraykock8vaxtp2ls6a.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147824/Adults-Estimate-Americans-Gay-Lesbian.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25% of Americans are gay or lesbian. More specifically, over half of Americans (52%) estimate that at least one in five Americans are gay or lesbian, including 35% who estimate that more than one in four are. Thirty percent put the figure at less than 15%.

Just your best guess, what percent of Americans today would you say are gay or lesbian? 2002 and 2011 Trend

The findings, from a Gallup poll conducted May 5-8, 2011, mark the second time Gallup has asked Americans to estimate the gay population. In 2002, Gallup used two separate questions to ask Americans to estimate the percentage of gay men and lesbians. At that time, Americans estimated that 21% of men were gay and that 22% of women were lesbian. Twice as many did not offer an opinion as do now.

There is little reliable evidence about what percentage of the U.S. population is in reality gay or lesbian, due to few representative surveys asking about sexual orientation, complexities surrounding the groups and definitions involved, and the probability that some gay and lesbian individuals may not choose to identify themselves as such. Demographer Gary Gates last month released a review of population-based surveys on the topic, estimating that 3.5% of adults in the United States identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual, with bisexuals making up a slight majority of that figure. Gates also disputes the well-circulated statistic that "10% of the males are more or less exclusively homosexual."

Americans' current collective estimate -- which is substantially higher than Gates suggests -- is likely driven more by perceptions and exposure than by scientific measurement or reality.

dybbuk
May 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Good Lord you are obsessed.

miffedmax
May 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I want stats on what percentage of Americans are nasophiles. More important, I want to know where there are large concentrations of women who appreciate a good nasophile and like tennis.

hdfb
May 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I want stats on what percentage of Americans are nasophiles. More important, I want to know where there are large concentrations of women who appreciate a good nasophile and like tennis.

:hysteric:

tenn_ace
May 29th, 2011, 12:22 AM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9324/t1eraykock8vaxtp2ls6a.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147824/Adults-Estimate-Americans-Gay-Lesbian.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25% of Americans are gay or lesbian. More specifically, over half of Americans (52%) estimate that at least one in five Americans are gay or lesbian, including 35% who estimate that more than one in four are. Thirty percent put the figure at less than 15%.

Just your best guess, what percent of Americans today would you say are gay or lesbian? 2002 and 2011 Trend

The findings, from a Gallup poll conducted May 5-8, 2011, mark the second time Gallup has asked Americans to estimate the gay population. In 2002, Gallup used two separate questions to ask Americans to estimate the percentage of gay men and lesbians. At that time, Americans estimated that 21% of men were gay and that 22% of women were lesbian. Twice as many did not offer an opinion as do now.

There is little reliable evidence about what percentage of the U.S. population is in reality gay or lesbian, due to few representative surveys asking about sexual orientation, complexities surrounding the groups and definitions involved, and the probability that some gay and lesbian individuals may not choose to identify themselves as such. Demographer Gary Gates last month released a review of population-based surveys on the topic, estimating that 3.5% of adults in the United States identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual, with bisexuals making up a slight majority of that figure. Gates also disputes the well-circulated statistic that "10% of the males are more or less exclusively homosexual."

Americans' current collective estimate -- which is substantially higher than Gates suggests -- is likely driven more by perceptions and exposure than by scientific measurement or reality.

Interesting... Thank you for posting it. The last two numbers I find disturbing...

Tripp
May 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Does that include people that are gay, but who haven't been told about it yet?

Kworb
May 29th, 2011, 12:52 AM
:lol: You've gotta be kidding me. This says more about math education in the US than it does about gay visibility in US mainstream media (which is still extremely lacking, by the way). A LOT of people don't even personally know any gays or lesbians.

In The Zone
May 29th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I wish 1 out of 4 Americans were gay. I'd have many more to choose from because I am not liking the current crop!

In The Zone
May 29th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Nope. Only 3.5% of Americans are openly gay. However, thanks to mainstream media, Americans think that 25% are gay.

To quote Seinfeld, NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Get over it.

Jesebel
May 29th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Maybe that many experimenting when young. It's really only 5-8% that are truly gay

kittyking
May 29th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Maybe that many experimenting when young. It's really only 5-8% that are truly gay

I had sex with a 19 year old earlier in the year (I'm 21, and I usually go for guys in their late 20s). Are you saying this 19 year old could infact be straight? Because I have scientific proof to the contrary.

VeeJJ
May 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM

The fuck :lol:

duhcity
May 29th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Lord :rolleyes:

Super Dave
May 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
I thought 10% was the rule of thumb.

Betten
May 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM
This is so bizarre. From ABC News...

Zhl9MLno424

Apoleb
May 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM
This is pretty amazing survey. It must mean that there are far more people who engage in homosexual relationships than gays in the open.

Dominic
May 31st, 2011, 05:41 PM
WOW at the video. some of these ppl were AMAZING. I actually got teary eyed.

Brett.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM
wow! i enjoyed watching that youtube video! Stupid waitress! :lol:

miffedmax
Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
It was staged, btw.

Interesting how the OP blames the evil liberal media for this, when it's the deranged conservative media who constantly warn about a "gay agenda" insists that being gay is " a choice" claims that exposure to the idea of being gay will turn people gay, and have convinced some 40% of the electorate that Iraq had something to do with 9/11 and some equally ridiculous percentage of people that Obama is an African-born Muslim.

Richie's
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Don't ask the same question in GB and specially in London! :lol: