PDA

View Full Version : Jared Lee Loughner Incompetent To Stand Trial... For Now

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Jared Lee Loughner ruled incompetent to stand trial

The ruling by a federal judge effectively ends legal proceedings against the suspect in the Arizona shooting spree that killed six and injured 13, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-05/61876593.jpg Jared Lee Loughner appears in a booking photograph released by the U.S. Marshals Service. (Reuters)

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Jared Lee Loughner was incompetent to stand trial, all but ending, for now, legal proceedings in the January shooting spree that killed six people and wounded 13 others, including Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

After studying reports from two mental-health experts who examined the 22-year-old defendant, Judge Larry A. Burns ordered that Loughner be kept in custody and stopped any federal trial unless Loughner were to be rehabilitated later and be able to understand the charges against him and assist in his own defense. The charges carry the potential of the death penalty

The ruling also appears to put on hold any state trial against Loughner, as local authorities say they will not be able to try him until after he is either convicted or acquitted in federal court.

Loughner was ordered removed from the courtroom after an outburst. Reporters heard him shout, "She died in front of me," "Thank you for the freak show" and, "You're treasonous."

Loughner was examined by a staff psychologist at the U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Mo., and a forensic psychiatrist in San Diego. Both agreed that at this time he was unfit mentally to stand trial.

The reviews were sought due to Loughner's emotional problems and bizarre behavior before the shootings, including changes in his personality and alleged drug and alcohol abuse.

Loughner was arrested in the Jan. 8 shooting at a Tucson parking lot, where Giffords was holding a weekend constituents meeting. Among the six killed was John Roll, a federal judge who happened to be visiting the event.

Source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/sc-dc-loughner-sanity-web-20110525,0,7951817.story

jessicaB
May 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Jared Lee Loughner, the man accused of a January 8 shooting spree in Tucson, Ariz., has been ruled incompetent to endure trial. Loughner was pulled out of the courtroom by United States Marshals after making a mad episode on Wed. Loughner deemed incompetent to stand trial, newstype.com (http://www.newsytype.com/6698-loughner-incompetent/). The purpose of the proceeding was to determine only whether Loughner is competent to stand trial. In the state of Washington, this means that he is able to understand the charges that have been brought against him and is mentally capable of participating in his own defense.

Helen Lawson
May 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
I think the gist of the competency test is does he know right from wrong. I don't think this guy does and I don't think it's an act either.

The government nuthouse isn't much different from federal prison, he's not at Club Med until he's competent to stand trial if that's what people fear.

*JR*
May 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM
I think the gist of the competency test is does he know right from wrong. I don't think this guy does and I don't think it's an act either.

No, I believe that's the standard for the insanity defense. While you should ask one of our resident shysters I mean lawyers :p I think the competency test is basically whether he can "assist in his own defense". BTW, the guy who fatally shot 2 Capitol policemen in the late 90's was found incompetent and is in a One Flew Ova the :cuckoo:'s Nest type lockup.

If that is ever judged to have changed, he'll have to stand trial for the murders and attempted murder. Whereas John Hinckley (found not guilty by reason of insanity in the Reagan assassination attempt) does get furloughs from his lockup to visit his parents, and can never be tried for it.

In the years since then, a classification called "Guilty But Mentally Ill" has been added in most jurisdictions, so a modern day Hinckley could get a very long term, with it 2B served in a locked mental ward (then I guess transferred to a prison if ever judged sane, and still serving the time).

Gosh Helen, didn't you play some psycho killer in one of your movies, where you'd @ least know what awaited ppl B4 the Nurse Ratchets of yore? :p

Helen Lawson
Jun 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Helen is all for capital punishment! I turned down Cokoos Nest because my demands for a new Cadillac were not met.

John Hinkley came from big bucks, you cannot compare his case to others, his parents bought that verdict. He's insane but Squeakie Fromme is sane? Convince me of that!

*JR*
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
John Hinkley came from big bucks, you cannot compare his case to others, his parents bought that verdict. He's insane but Squeaky Fromme is sane? Convince me of that!

She was kinda cute back then too:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WzJvFF4O8k8/R3zlwzO3J4I/AAAAAAAAA6A/OMMG_1TQffQ/s400/zPEOP+SQUEAKY+FROMME+1.jpg

Helen Lawson
Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:47 PM
Batshit crazy. I still think she's into Manson. Still!

I heard she fixed breakfast for everyone when they got back from both nights of murders. And she walks among us!!

Helen Lawson
Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Didn't Hinkley recently get into trouble? They found Jodie Foster photos or something in his items. Dude, Jodie's not into the guys and she wasn't impressed, move on!

I'm sort of surprised this creep was found insane for the time being, huge pressure to prosecute and get death penalty. This guy must be off the charts insane for them to have found him incompetent.

duhcity
Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Lord. I guess I'm a cold bitch because I think he deserves the death penalty regardless of his competency.

*JR*
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Didn't Hinkley recently get into trouble? They found Jodie Foster photos or something in his items. Dude, Jodie's not into the guys and she wasn't impressed, move on!

I dunno, but in Taxi Driver (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314) she was not Robert DeNiro's love interest, merely a 12 y.o. hooker he rescued from her pimp @ the end. As cab driver Travis Bickle, DeNiro had the hots for Cybill Shepherd, who played a key campaign worker for the Presidential candidate, with Jodie only appeared late in the movie in a supporting role.

They should have fucking executed Hinckley just for being such a moron that he got the plot so mixed up. :tape: I mean Helen, how would you feel after turning in the kind of performance Cybill did and the little brat gets all the attention? :help: BTW, his father had contributed to Bush Sr's 1980 primary campaign, feeding a conspiracy theory that his crazy son was trying to off Reagan to make the family's guy President.

Here's a little aside regarding the Gipper. When the hardcore feminists bullied Mondale into agreeing to pick a female running mate in 1984, there was a fake campaign for the Democratic Convention to draft Jane Wyman, because she had experience dumping Ronald Reagan. ;)

Helen Lawson
Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Jane Wyman!!! I heard she was friendlier with Reagan's children than Nancy, even though Nancy was their mother.

Taxi Driver is epic, and yes, Cybill stinks and Jodie stole the movie from her as teen hooker Iris. Cybill Shepard has the screen presence of wallpaper, sadly, and even a nut like Hinkley knew it.

Taxi Driver has some memorable lines worthy of fitting into your daily speach. A then unknown Harvey Keitel as her pimp trying to sell Jodie to DeNiro describing Jodie as a "little piece of chicken.". Then when DeNiro has bought Jodie, she lights a cigarette, puts it in the ashtray and delivers this, "when the cigarette burns out, time's up.". Then, there's the all time classic, she starts pulling at his pants for oral sex and says, "how do you want to make it, do you want to make it like this?". I've laid these lines on guys, they are very effective, only I don't smoke anymore so the one line I can no longer use.