PDA

View Full Version : Immunity Gene Cures Man Of AIDS

Pureracket
May 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Source: CBS San Francisco

A 45-year-old man now living in the Bay Area may be the first person ever cured of the deadly disease AIDS, the result of the discovery of an apparent HIV immunity gene.

Timothy Ray Brown tested positive for HIV back in 1995, but has now entered scientific journals as the first man in world history to have that HIV virus completely eliminated from his body in what doctors call a “functional cure.”

Read more: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/05/16/apparent-im... (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/05/16/apparent-immunity-gene-cures-bay-area-man-of-aids) /

Ashi
May 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
:speakles: :speakles:

Mistress of Evil
May 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
great news :worship:

IceSkaTennisFan
May 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
This is actually old news, not sure why they reran the story. I'm happy for him. They still haven't found a cure for HIV, but this is an important step to figuring out how it can be cured.

BigB08822
May 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think many people have cured themselves of HIV. The problem is we usually don't find out who they are because they may never test while positive or they don't get tested at all. There are too many people who have unprotected sex with infected people who somehow never contract the disease. It can't always be luck. I think some people are immune or able to heal themselves and defeat the virus. That is the key to finding a cure. Find these people and figure out why they can beat it.

hdfb
May 18th, 2011, 03:16 AM
^The probabilities of contracting HIV via unprotected anal and vaginal sex are actually very low, lower than the media would have you think. But still, safe sex all the way.

IceSkaTennisFan
May 18th, 2011, 04:05 AM
There's no reason to play russian roulette with your health.

Londoner
May 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I think many people have cured themselves of HIV. The problem is we usually don't find out who they are because they may never test while positive or they don't get tested at all. There are too many people who have unprotected sex with infected people who somehow never contract the disease. It can't always be luck. I think some people are immune or able to heal themselves and defeat the virus. That is the key to finding a cure. Find these people and figure out why they can beat it.

I agree. I know many people who have had unsafe sex and have been fine, whereas some contract HIV immediately. So many varibales and unknowns. Of course until all is known it is as another poster says safe sex all the way.

young_gunner913
May 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Wow. Very interesting read.

McPie
May 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
nothing is better than this ;)

Dominic
May 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I am so happy for him :)

G-Ha
May 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I read this a while back. And apparently, Northern Europeans and descendants thereof, have greater immunity to HIV. Some scientists believe it could be related to surviving the Black Death while others believe the immunity could have developed as a result of exposure to smallpox.