PDA

View Full Version : Travel Adaptors, help!

Halardfan
May 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I know nothing about electrical stuff so bear with me.

I'm soon going to Japan and want to take some of my British electrical stuff along.

A travel adaptor seemed the solution. Yet while it says that a non-earthed UK plug is fine to use with that in Japan, it expressly says an Earthed plug should never be used with a travel adaptor.

My power supply block to my netbook says the exact opposite, i.e that is must be used with an earthed connection.

So my questions...

1. Are the manufacturers simply covering themselves and in reality it's safe to plug my netbook into the travel adaptor?

2. Assuming it's not...if I buy a universal netbook power supply in Japan, with a Japanese two pin plug on it, should that be able to safely charge my UK machine?

It's all so complex...I already made the mistake of assuming that because the UK and Japan both have region 2 DVD's that my UK DVD's would automatically work in Japan...not the case as Japan is region 2 but NTSC not region 2 and PAL.

Arrgggh!

Super Dave
May 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Good luck...when we went to England back in the '90s we brought an adaptor with us and our hair dryer still burned up. :shrug:

Halardfan
May 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Good luck...when we went to England back in the '90s we brought an adaptor with us and our hair dryer still burned up. :shrug:

What we need is a universal system. Might I humbly suggest that everyone adopts the British standards in all things, so as to avoid any difficulties? ;)

brickhousesupporter
May 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
What we need is a universal system. Might I humbly suggest that everyone adopts the British standards in all things, so as to avoid any difficulties? ;)
Hell no.......you plugs and outlets are damn ugly.

kwilliams
May 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM
^ but they're sturdy. We use British plugs and sockets in Ireland and when I use ones in other countries I always feel like the plugs are going to fall out, like they're not in there as securely as possible...and that can lead to all kinds of trouble! I also feel like they're not as ugly because the plug completely covers the socket and our sockets don't collect dust!

Anyway, I have used my Irish and Korean things in Japan both times that I have been there and everything has been fine. I just used my universal travel adaptor.