PDA

View Full Version : Naomi Cavaday Retires- Eating disorder & depression

kittyking
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00699/sport-graphics-2008_699684a.jpg

http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/209363-dourly-disposed-glum-celebs-who-give-us-all-a-sad-reputation-410x230.jpg

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/32/37/27/3237279_tml.jpg

Not officially confirmed but lots of sources now saying Naomi Cavday won't be returning to court from a foot injury, and is going into coaching (sounds like Bromley HPC).

If true its incredibly sad news. Does feel like a lot of wasted talent. She could have achieved much more than she did (even with a couple of bad injuries and a horrible illness).

If only she'd taken one of those match points against Hingis eh?

Once it's made official either way I'll update this thread.

Temperenka
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM
If this is true, good luck to her for the remainder of her life.

She played well against some good players at Wimbledon but was never able to take that next step.

rimon
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:16 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00699/sport-graphics-2008_699684a.jpg

http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/209363-dourly-disposed-glum-celebs-who-give-us-all-a-sad-reputation-410x230.jpg

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/32/37/27/3237279_tml.jpg

What's with the pics of Andy Murray and Dolly Parton? :lol:

The Witch-king
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM
^ Exactly.

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM
She had rather awful draws at Wimbledon. :awww:

Talula
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
That is a huge loss to tennis, and if she does go into coaching then it certainly isn't her 'pupils' gain!

Hian
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Her matches against Vee and Hingis :hug:
NC :hug:

Svetlana)))
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM
:hug: All the best to her. Still, coaching? :spit:

Smitten
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thank goodness Martina did not lose to her.

Kworb
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
If only Martina had lost to her. Maybe she could've skipped the doping check and she'd still be playing today. :sad:

spiceboy
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
That is a huge loss to tennis

:spit:

BlueTrees
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
vsUYBLR3jkA

Mike_T
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
vsUYBLR3jkA

Far be it for me to be defending old Horse Teeth, but she was off her head on coke in that match.

Happy Retirement to Naomi :wavey:

Kairi
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
:spit:

be nice :haha:

James(Y)
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
British tennis, always seems the most talented girls pro career's get ruined by injuries.

Monica_Rules
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Such a shame. I loved Naomis game. She had so much talent. Should have bee a top 50 player

fouc
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
wow no one is even relatively sad.
edit: oh, there is one above me!

Londoner
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
She has her raging beauty to fall back on so she could become a model. Sorry for the cheap shot!

spiceboy
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
She has her raging beauty to fall back on so she could become a model. Sorry for the cheap shot!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I2uQkGxIykM/TFZXxnMgvYI/AAAAAAAAMMI/KRxV3OJdlpg/s1600/mean+bow.jpg

Sammo
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Meh :shrug:

Randy H
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I know she's had her share of injury issues, but it would be a shame to see her retire already when she's only just about to turn 22. I'd like to see Naomi try to carry on for at least another 2 seasons and see if she can stay free from injury before she makes any major decisions to retire.

Tripp
Apr 14th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Sad to see a talented lefty retiring because of injuries. Maybe she'll come back after a few years. It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Xian
Apr 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM
nice match vs Hingis , quite surprised she never made it to the top 100

keothavongcool
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I would like to confirm that I will no longer be training and competing as a professional tennis player.
Throughout my career I have had big struggles with an eating disorder and depression but I'm pleased to say that I have worked through and overcome these issues and I am now in a great place to be able to make this decision, even though it has been a difficult decision to make. I want to be honest about what I have been through to raise awareness of these difficulties that many people go through and athletes are no exception.
I want to encourage young people to speak up and know that it is ok to struggle with some parts of life, everyone is different and when you are striving to become an elite athlete a strong support system is crucial. I urge parents, coaches, trainers and anyone working with aspiring players to give them the platform to speak out and be heard. This can only help the with their development as people and as players.
I would like to thank the LTA for their support that enabled me to work through this positively and I am now assisting the Player Support Team to help benefit the young players starting out on their journey.
I love tennis and passionately think it is the best sport in the world and it will continue to be a big part of my life. I really can't wait to get stuck in to coaching which I really enjoy, with a specific focus on the emotional wellbeing of young athletes to help them achieve their potential as people and players.
Thank you for your support over the years, and I also want to assure you that I am very happy with my decision and excited for what lies ahead.
What a fantastic opportunity I have had and I am so proud of what I have achieved.

LTA Website

The Witch-king
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
:sad: but why is she retiring?

Martian Jeza
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM
All the best with that from a severe anxiety disorder sufferer and prone to some depression, Naomi, you'll need it big time ! And hope trully you'll get the support you need : family and friends ! I kinda know what you are going through ! :hug:

Serenita
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Take care of yourself, and goodluck.
:)

fouc
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
there has already been a thread

keothavongcool
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
there has already been a thread

Well Naomi only just declared it on her twitter, so here is another thread

Jane Lane
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
vsUYBLR3jkA
Remember this? She was great here for a while.

Shame, but hope she takes care of herself. :hug: Health is always #1.

keothavongcool
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I wonder what eating disorder she had

fouc
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Well Naomi only just declared it on her twitter, so here is another thread

ok. be sure to make another one when she announces it on facebook.

Tennis Ball
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM

we will ;) lol.

Naomi, wishing you all the best! It's still unfortunate that she has to retire and can't act out (lol) her passion. But me too wonders why she has to retire? Maybe to exert less stress on herself to prevent the conditions happening in which she is inclined to having that eating disorder and/or depression, in a way of protecting her vulnerability?

BlueTrees
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Sad message. :sad:

LightsOut!
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Sad. Good luck in your next life :hug:

keothavongcool
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM

welll yaaaaaah, durrr what else would we do.

miffedmax
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Well, I missed the other thread.

I wish her the best. You never stop struggling with these issues as I understand it, so I hope she continues to progress well and has a successful post-tennis life.

timafi
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:23 PM
your life and health comes first;good luck :D

Sharapovian
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Sad to hear that. Well all the best to her :hug:

PLP
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Well, as a fellow survivor, I imagine that something related to her training/lifestyle was exacerbating her condition. She was certainly a talented player.

That match against Hingis drove me crazy, Martina was just so bad. :lol:
Still, Naomi played well.

I am sure she is making the best decision for herself.

Smitten
Apr 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
vsUYBLR3jkA

Depressing match.

flareon
Apr 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM
vsUYBLR3jkA
Remember this? She was great here for a while.

Shame, but hope she takes care of herself. :hug: Health is always #1.

This match would of made her shame she lost it.

Jane Lane
Apr 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
This match would of made her shame she lost it.

I know she lost but she played awesomely for the first set, almost 2.

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 29th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Poor girl... :awww:

All the best Naomi! :hug: :smooch:

RenaSlam.
Apr 29th, 2011, 11:07 PM
We'll miss you.

goldlion
Apr 30th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I hardly heard of her and to be honest, she is hardly an elite player at all and now head off to coaching? I wonder what respect will she get from younger players even tho she came through some difficult issues

keothavongcool
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I hardly heard of her and to be honest, she is hardly an elite player at all and now head off to coaching? I wonder what respect will she get from younger players even tho she came through some difficult issues

not every coach has been an elite player!, and you certainly done need to be an elite player to be a good coach. Naomi has alot of talent which was prevented from fulfillment due to injuries. Cut her slack! Also she is british so of course there are alot of people interested in her

Martian Jeza
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Myself I'm around 180 cms but I only am between 58-60 kgs !

goldlion
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:19 AM
not every coach has been an elite player!, and you certainly done need to be an elite player to be a good coach. Naomi has alot of talent which was prevented from fulfillment due to injuries. Cut her slack! Also she is british so of course there are alot of people interested in her

I'm sure she will pass on some experiences to the other players, but she was hardly playing in the Pro circuit during her career, and how can she advise others that are preparing themselves to the tour?. I dearly hope Britain can produce more elite tennis players especially they've spent so much resources developing them, instead of relying on the fluke Murray.

tennis-insomniac
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:50 AM
thx for posting :)

Good Luck Naomi

edificio
Apr 30th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Well, good to hear that she has dealt with her issues. Perhaps another comeback would be too much of a stressor. Good luck to her in the future.

So Disrespectful
Apr 30th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Best of luck to Naomi for the future. I hope she remains happy!

Myself I'm around 180 cms but I only am between 58-60 kgs !

And?

Monica_Rules
Apr 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Sad day to see Naomi retire so young. SO much talent but obviously has been dealing with a lot and a tennis career was probably too much.

Marionated
Apr 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Naomi :hug:

laurie
Apr 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM
That's a pity. I met her back in 2009 at the Bromley Tennis Centre where I play league matches, she's from my part of London. Wish her the best for the future.

Randy H
Apr 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm sure she will pass on some experiences to the other players, but she was hardly playing in the Pro circuit during her career, and how can she advise others that are preparing themselves to the tour?. I dearly hope Britain can produce more elite tennis players especially they've spent so much resources developing them, instead of relying on the fluke Murray.

If every coach in tennis were an elite top pro to be eligible, we'd be pretty short on coaches :lol: There are coaches out there who have never even been full time touring professionals. Coaching is needed at all different levels of development, so I am sure that Naomi's experience and knowledge will be of great use to many.

Best of luck to her in her new journey :)