PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Favorite Tennis Event You Attened.......

Josus57
Apr 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not talking a fortnight at Wimbledon, or the 2 weeks at the U.S., Australian, or French Open. But 1 day that you spent at a event. Hopefully, no more then 5 or 6 matches that you saw that particular day/night.

For me, it was The 1975 Virginia Slims of Philadelphia Finals on a Sunday in March. Sorry that I don't remember the exact date.

To the best of my knowledge, they didn't even have a playoff for third place, not a 1 set, or even the pro-set. If they did, it would have been between Billie Jean King vs.Martina Navratilova.

But the Singles and Doubles Finals were enough for me.:devil:

Virginia Wade (my second favorite female tennis player of all time) won in straight sets defeating Chris Evert: 7-5 6-4. Chris came back from 5-1 down to reach 5-5, before Wade took the first set 7-5, the second set was quite even, yet it was a Victory for Virginia when a Evert forehand went over the line.;) Virginia was on a hot streak that week, as she beat Goolagong, King, and Evert in sucession, and dropped only 1 set in doing so. The previous tourament in Dallas, Virginia won that title over Navratilova (who had to retire in the third set), but she also beat Olga Morozova and Francoise Durr in earlier rounds:lick:

As for the Doubles Final, the team of long time doubles partners Bille Jean King & Rosie Casals were to play (I believe) a newly formed team consisting of Evonne Goolagong (my favorite female tennis player of all time) and Betty Stove. The Goolagong/Stove team triumphed in 3 sets: 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5-3)

austinrunner
Apr 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Easy. The 1980 US Open women's semifinals. Evert routed Austin, thank goodness.

calou
Apr 28th, 2011, 07:28 AM
The 1982 French.In the fourth round Martina played Kathy Rinaldi .She won 6/0 in the first set ,lost the second 6/2 coz she didn't come to the net ( Renee Richard's strategy ? ) and she 's back playing her natural game to win 6/0 in the third ! A very strange match ...
The 1984 French.Again in the fourth round Chris played Manuela Maleeva ,a very touch match .She lost the first set 3/6 but managed to win 6/3 and 6/2 .She also needed 3 sets in the quarter against C.Basset but it wasn't so touch than against Manuela .

AdeyC
May 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
If I had to pick a single day based on the total of matches seen rather than a single win by a favourite - it'd be Wed 19 October 1983 at the Daihatsu Challenge in Brighton where you could see the action on both courts which were side by side

Court One
Delhees d Brown (only result that didnt go the way I wanted)
Jausovec d Suire
Evert-Lloyd d Thompson
Shriver d Holliday (a 7-5 final setter)
Temesvari d Schaefer
Evert-Lloyd and Shriver d Jausovec and A White
J Durie and A Kiyomura d Jexell and Sandin
Court Two
Calleja d Paradis
Kiymoura d Budarova
Ruzici d Reynolds
Barker d Jexell (6-1 6-2 - probably the last match that Sue ever destroyed an opponent with a score like that)
Herreman d Leo
Ruzici and Tanvier d Budarova and Mesker
Barker and Leo d Nelson and Skronska

alfajeffster
May 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'd have to say the 1998 (?) match at the old Villanova Field House (which is gone now) for the quarter-finals of the Philadelphia indoor tournament. I can't remember if it was still a Virginia Slims tourney or not, but Steffi Graf defeated Martina Hingis in 3 hotly contested sets. It was very competitive for the firt two sets, then Steffi took a break to have her thigh re-wrapped, and came out and trounced the petulant one in the third. Hingis was actually mocking Graf throughout the match (even during the delay). I often wish this match was recorded.

gabybackhand
May 9th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I've read your interesting comments about this match some other time, and I still feel annoyed by Hingis attitude: how can you be so obnoxious as to mock your opponent, let alone Steffi Graf? I know Hingis was a spoilt kid back then, but still. And I wonder how did her mother react to this, and if she said anything to her daughter afterwards. I don't know the woman, but any good mother would have grabbed her spoilt brat by the ear and tought her some manners!

alfajeffster
May 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I seem to remember Hingis was brushed away by Steffi when Hingis was a little girl looking for an autograph or to hit with her and Martina never forgot it. Anyone remember this, or elaborate on the whole story?