PDA

View Full Version : Weeks at #1

Pages : [1] 2

QuietPlease
Apr 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
This week is Caroline's 27th week atop the WTA ranking, thereby surpassing Dinara's 26.
According to the WTA Caroline has secured the #1 spot at least until May 16th (31 weeks).
But considering she hasn't that many points to defend until August 22nd when her 900 Montreal points is dropped, I can't see anyone taking the top spot earlier than that (August 15th = 44th week).

I know the future is hard to tell, but how high do you expect her to climb on the list of #1s during her career?

1 Steffi Graf 377 weeks
2 Martina Navratilova 332 weeks
3 Chris Evert 260 weeks
4 Martina Hingis 209 weeks
5 Monica Seles 178 weeks
6 Serena Williams 123 weeks
7 Justine Henin 117 weeks
8 Lindsay Davenport 98 weeks
9 Amélie Mauresmo 39 weeks
10 Caroline Wozniacki 27 weeks

QuietPlease
Apr 18th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I voted 124-178 weeks.

Obviously I think she will pass Amélie in July. Then there's a big gap to Lindsay, but once there Serena's not that far away :devil:
(then again, Serena could still add to her total)

I reckon topping the ranks more than 3 years (156 weeks) is very, very difficult. I suppose many would have said Hingis had a fair chance of catching Steffi, yet she was so far from it - over 3 years short (168 weeks). You never know what's going to happen.

Happy guessing ;)

poulao
Apr 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
This is difficult to be realistic about. It would be more down to earth, to have 1 or 2 years as a starter. :)

C. W. Fields
Apr 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. As things stand right now with Clijsters and the WSs probably not playing beyond 2012 I could well see Caro be #1 for something like 5 years. The only other current player with results consistently at Caro's level is Zvonareva but she turns 27 this year and I don't see her getting much stronger than she is now while Caro's still rising.
The only player in Caros age group even approaching her level is Azarenka. She's had very good results lately but I'm still not convinced she has the mental and physical stability to maintain this level.
And you never know when a new superstar will burst onto the scene from the junior ranks, but with the physical demands of the game these days we're not likely to see a new Graf or Hingis. The days of players below the age of 18 competing at top 5 level is over, I think.
The most likely thing to trip up Caro's career is injury. Any player can get a serious injury at any time. And she IS playing a rather heavy schedule with a game that involves long matches with lots of running. Caro has an excellent physique and has avoided serious injuries so far but it may catch up with her in a few years unless she cuts her schedule some in the future.
And then of course there's the question of motivation. If Caro wins everything there is to win in the next few years - she well could - she may start to lose interest and not have a very long career or only play the big events like Serena and be overtaken by a new 'Wozniacki'. The Olympics will be an important factor in that regard. If Caro doesn't win in London next year I think she'll maintain her motivation at least until Rio 2016.
She has also mentioned a desire to have children. She may meet a wonderful man and want to start a family. Will it happen at 24? 27? 30? There's no telling.

But, if all things turn out well for Caro: her game continues to develop, no serious injuries, no problems with motivation etc. I see Caro maintaining her #1 ranking almost unbroken for the next 5 years!

QuietPlease
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. As things stand right now with Clijsters and the WSs probably not playing beyond 2012 I could well see Caro be #1 for something like 5 years. The only other current player with results consistently at Caro's level is Zvonareva but she turns 27 this year and I don't see her getting much stronger than she is now while Caro's still rising.
The only player in Caros age group even approaching her level is Azarenka. She's had very good results lately but I'm still not convinced she has the mental and physical stability to maintain this level.
And you never know when a new superstar will burst onto the scene from the junior ranks, but with the physical demands of the game these days we're not likely to see a new Graf or Hingis. The days of players below the age of 18 competing at top 5 level is over, I think.
The most likely thing to trip up Caro's career is injury. Any player can get a serious injury at any time. And she IS playing a rather heavy schedule with a game that involves long matches with lots of running. Caro has an excellent physique and has avoided serious injuries so far but it may catch up with her in a few years unless she cuts her schedule some in the future.
And then of course there's the question of motivation. If Caro wins everything there is to win in the next few years - she well could - she may start to lose interest and not have a very long career or only play the big events like Serena and be overtaken by a new 'Wozniacki'. The Olympics will be an important factor in that regard. If Caro doesn't win in London next year I think she'll maintain her motivation at least until Rio 2016.
She has also mentioned a desire to have children. She may meet a wonderful man and want to start a family. Will it happen at 24? 27? 30? There's no telling.

But, if all things turn out well for Caro: her game continues to develop, no serious injuries, no problems with motivation etc. I see Caro maintaining her #1 ranking almost unbroken for the next 5 years!

True, let's hope the injury bug doesn't catch Caroline. But all athletes can get injured.

We must also remember that falling into a slump is only human. And keeping the top spot while in a slump is not realistic. So while she's likely a contender for the #1 spot for several years, she may have to swap it with Zvonareva or Azarenka or whoever from time to time. Only 7 players have held the #1 rank more than 52 weeks in a row, and only 3 players have held it more than 104 weeks in a row (Graf, Nav, Evert). Steffi has the record with 186 weeks in a row (Aug ´87 - Mar ´91).

Longest streaks, 52+ weeks:

1 Steffi Graf 186 (also 94 & 87)
2 Martina Navratilova 156 (also 90)
3 Chris Evert 113 (also 76)
4 Monica Seles 91 (also 64)
5 Martina Hingis 80 (also 73)
6 Justine Henin 61
7 Serena Williams 57

Getting on that short list would be cool :cool:

bruce goose
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Caroline will stay #1 long enough to please the more level-headed skeptics and erase their doubts....As for pleasing GM trolls,well...To put it gently,SOME opinions are less worth worrying about than others:lol:

backhandsmash
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Reaching Seles and Hingis would be an incredible achievement, but I'm not sure if it's possible. The top 3 I definitely think is out of reach, though.

Buuut, she has surprised us before, so who knows.

Burisleif
Apr 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Considering Caroline wants a family at some point I would estimate no.5 in the list as a viable goal. Further there must come a point in a tennis career when you start to think Déjà vu every day? another 160 weeks over 5 years, then retire to do other things... :shrug: Only time will tell.

QuietPlease
May 13th, 2011, 01:43 AM
30 and counting :cool:

C. W. Fields
May 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Kim just lost her 2R match. That pretty much guarantess Caro'll stay #1 until at least HC summer season unless Vera wins both FO and Wimbledon.

Jorn
May 30th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Vera can't be No. 1 after Wimbledon as she defend F points, but as she lost early in RG it won't matter anyway.

But still Kim can still be No. 1 after Wimby, but Caro "only" needs to win 2 rounds...

Jorn
Jun 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Kim just lost her 2R match. That pretty much guarantess Caro'll stay #1 until at least HC summer season

Caro will now stay No. 1 atleast untill August or when her Canada Open points drop off...

QuietPlease
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Caro will now stay No. 1 atleast untill August or when her Canada Open points drop off...

That's right. After Kim's (2nd) 2nd round loss no one can catch Caro at Wimbledon.
So she'll overtake Amelie for sure... Lindsay next?

DownInAHole
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM
That's right. After Kim's (2nd) 2nd round loss no one can catch Caro at Wimbledon.
So she'll overtake Amelie for sure... Lindsay next?

Hopefully, but even if Caroline is number one for another whole year she still will not catch Lindsay. If she manages that it will be a fantastic accomplishment for her.

QuietPlease
Jun 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hopefully, but even if Caroline is number one for another whole year she still will not catch Lindsay. If she manages that it will be a fantastic accomplishment for her.

True the gap between Lindsay and Amelie is big. 59 weeks - over a year. Obviously we don't know who's #1 14 months from now, but Caro should be safe for a couple of months. Here's the top 5 with 2010 Wimbledon points off:

1 Caro 9635
2 Kim 7715
3 Vera 6535
4 Li 5755
5 Vika 5565

Kim has withdrawn from Wimbledon and gets 0 points. So no matter what happens Caro will be at least 1100 points ahead post Wimbledon. Actually, chances are she'll have a 2000+ lead after Wimby.

I see Caro at #1 at least until the USO. And I think she will be YE #1 again.

C. W. Fields
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
True the gap between Lindsay and Amelie is big. 59 weeks - over a year. Obviously we don't know who's #1 14 months from now, but Caro should be safe for a couple of months. Here's the top 5 with 2010 Wimbledon points off:

1 Caro 9635
2 Kim 7715
3 Vera 6535
4 Li 5755
5 Vika 5565

Kim has withdrawn from Wimbledon and gets 0 points. So no matter what happens Caro will be at least 1100 points ahead post Wimbledon. Actually, chances are she'll have a 2000+ lead after Wimby.

I see Caro at #1 at least until the USO. And I think she will be YE #1 again.

If Caro's still #1 come USO chances are she'll also be afterwards considering Kim and Vera were last year's finalists.

QuietPlease
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
If Caro's still #1 come USO chances are she'll also be afterwards considering Kim and Vera were last year's finalists.

The winner of Wimbledon (especially if Li, Vika or Maria) could threaten Caro after the USO as they have less points to defend than Caro.

DownInAHole
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The winner of Wimbledon (especially if Li, Vika or Maria) could threaten Caro after the USO as they have less points to defend than Caro.

True. If one of those three gets very hot and wins both Wimbledon and the US Open then Caroline's ranking could be in jeopardy. I don't think it is very likely to happen but if Na Li makes the final and/or wins the last two majors I wouldn't begrudge her taking the number one ranking as that would be a rather singular achievement.

Still, if Caroline goes very deep at Wimbledon (semis, final or win) she would give herself a very hefty lead.

QuietPlease
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:22 AM
The WTA has confirmed that Caro is safe at #1 at least until August:

WORLD NO.1: Caroline Wozniacki enters 2011Wimbledon as theWTA’s No.1 ranked player for the 3rd straight time at a
major and is guaranteed to be No.1 through week of August 1, which will extend her reign at the top spot to at least 42
weeks, which will see her pass Amelie Mauresmo and become the 9th longest-serving No.1. Wozniacki has held the top spot
since first achieving it on October 11, 2010, with the exception of week of February 14, when Kim Clijsters returned to No.1
for the first time in almost 5 years.

A deep run at Wimbledon will do her good, especially considering her last 3 mandatory events has been rather diappointing (Miami, Madrid, Roland Garros).

backhandsmash
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2011/july11.pdf

"Wozniacki ties Mauresmo for weeks at No.1

Caroline Wozniacki is spending her 39th overall week at No.1.
Her first 18 weeks came between October 11, 2010 and February
13, 2011, and after Kim Clijsters spent one week there, she is now
in her second stint as No.1 (this is her 21st straight week there)."

:):):)

Nice birthday present.

QuietPlease
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Graf, Navratilova, Evert, Hingis, Seles, Serena, Henin, Davenport... and Wozniacki.

Just 8 women have been #1 longer than Caroline. Amazing!

But she's facing a lot of points to defend in the coming months, and I fear her confidence was hurt at RG/Wimby. But she likes the US hard courts so I'm hoping great results lay ahead of her. I want her to shine at the USO :angel:

And she's still leading the race to Istanbul:

1 Caro 5806
2 Kvitova 5037
3 Li Na 4947
4 Sharapova 4840
5 Azarenka 4502

I'm sure one of those 5 will end 2011 as #1. I hope it'll be Caroline :cool:

QuietPlease
Aug 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM
This week is Caroline's 27th week atop the WTA ranking, thereby surpassing Dinara's 26.
According to the WTA Caroline has secured the #1 spot at least until May 16th (31 weeks).
But considering she hasn't that many points to defend until August 22nd when her 900 Montreal points is dropped, I can't see anyone taking the top spot earlier than that (August 15th = 44th week).

As predicted in April, when I opened this thread Caro is still #1 on August 15th - 44 weeks. :worship:

She still has a big lead, but now the points are starting to come off from her fabulous end to 2010.
Rogers Cup: 900, New Haven: 470, USO: 900, Tokyo: 900, Beijing: 1000 & YEC: 890.
Total: 5060 points to defend in the rest of the season. :eek:

I can't wait to see how she returns after disappointing results at RG/Wimby and her injury in Båstad.
Hopefully she's fit for fight and ready to kick some Hard Court a$$!

GO Caro! :cheer:

QuietPlease
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Terrible start to the HC season for Caro. But since her biggest rivals lost too, she is still safe at #1.
According to the WTA she will enter the USO as #1:

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/MatchNotes/2011/806.pdf

RANKING PROJECTIONS

The next WTA rankings will be released on Monday 15 August, however here are some projected rankings:

RANK PLAYER COMMENTS

1 Caroline Wozniacki Will hold No.1 entering US Open
2 Vera Zvonareva Up from No.3; equals career-high and will be 15th week at No.2
3 Kim Clijsters Down from No.2
4 Victoria Azarenka Could rise to a career-best No.3 by winning title
5 Li Na
6 Petra Kvitova Career-best ranking
7 Maria Sharapova Drops from No.5
8 Francesca Schiavone
9 Marion Bartoli
10 Andrea Petkovic Unless Stosur goes 1 round better, or Radwanska 2 rounds better

backhandsmash
Aug 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Shamelessly stolen (and updated) from the stat forum:

Only players who have broken into the top-20 since 1997 listed.

as of August 8, 2011

HR No.1 Top-3 Top-5 Top-10 Top-20

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 608
J Henin 1 117 176 238 344 406
C Wozniacki 1 43 61 97 117 157
A Mauresmo 1 39 155 202 339 503
D Safina 1 26 85 88 116 240
K Clijsters 1 20 181 287 337 422

Not sure if Serena's weeks in top 20 is right. When was her last week in the top 20? Can't find it anywhere.

angliru
Aug 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Not sure if Serena's weeks in top 20 is right. When was her last week in the top 20? Can't find it anywhere.

Serena dropped out of the top 20 on the 6th of June 2011 (fell from #17 to 25).

Btw: Caro's 117 weeks in the top 10, and 157 weeks in the top 20 have been consecutive (as opposed to her #1, top 3 and top 5 weeks, which have all been interrupted). She has the longest current stay in the top 10 of all players.

backhandsmash
Aug 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks!

Changed to 608 weeks for Serena since she was at 606 weeks on May 16th.

QuietPlease
Aug 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks.
I'm kinda surprised she has more top 10 weeks than Safina already!

backhandsmash
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM
as of August 15, 2011

C Wozniacki 1 44 62 98 118 158
K Clijsters 1 20 182 288 338 423
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 290
M Sharapova 1 17 105 202 259 349
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 246
V Williams 1 11 213 341 554 643
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 369
V Zvonareva 2 45 54 144 305

Woz is getting close to 2 years total in the top 5.

Serena could soon start to add to her top 20 weeks again if she plays Cincy.

goldenlox
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with what Caroline says about being #1.

My answer would be "I want to be #1, and I when I'm retired years from now, I want to have been #1 for a long while and won several majors. I want to keep improving, stay #1 and win majors."

Jorn
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
She will now stay No. 1 also after US Open 2011. (As some other players in TOP 10 who had the chance for No. 1 also lost early in Cincy...)

After US Open there's some MM's, but i don't think the TOP players have Entered them, so Caro will likely stay No. 1 atleast untill after PPO (Japan Open)

DownInAHole
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
She will now stay No. 1 also after US Open 2011. (As some other players in TOP 10 who had the chance for No. 1 also lost early in Cincy...)

After US Open there's some MM's, but i don't think the TOP players have Entered them, so Caro will likely stay No. 1 atleast untill after PPO (Japan Open)

I have to say that unless she has a fantastic result at the US Open (either making the final or winning) that is disappointing news. At this point clinging to the number one ranking while performing well below her potential is only going to add more pressure and mess with her head.

Of course I am a fan of Caroline and I want her to keep the number one ranking but she needs to get out of this mini slump that she is in. I do not think it will be good for her to keep the ranking while having disappointing results.

Jimmie48
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have to say that unless she has a fantastic result at the US Open (either making the final or winning) that is disappointing news. At this point clinging to the number one ranking while performing well below her potential is only going to add more pressure and mess with her head.

Of course I am a fan of Caroline and I want her to keep the number one ranking but she needs to get out of this mini slump that she is in. I do not think it will be good for her to keep the ranking while having disappointing results.

I don't know, just like the split from Piotr, losing the ranking could go both ways. We know she takes a lot of pride and comfort in the fact that she's ranked #1.... losing it would free her from some of the pressure but it could also mean a blow for her confidence... and confidence is what she needs the most now.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
If she continues this current level, she has no chance at YE #1.
If she goes back to playing her regular style, she has a chance for it.

I agree with people who say she regressed after IW. She was not as good Miami-Wimbledon as before.
But the last 2 weeks she is not top 50.

These last 2 weeks make me think she doesnt want #1 anymore.
But playing like this at the USO could embarrass her. I think she has to try her best and not pretend her forehand is a weapon.

Jimmie48
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM
If she continues this current level, she has no chance at YE #1.
If she goes back to playing her regular style, she has a chance for it.

I agree with people who say she regressed after IW. She was not as good Miami-Wimbledon as before.
But the last 2 weeks she is not top 50.

These last 2 weeks make me think she doesnt want #1 anymore.
But playing like this at the USO could embarrass her. I think she has to try her best and not pretend her forehand is a weapon.

Why are you so negative all of a sudden? I don't get it... you keep on saying how it looks like she has lost interest... would she have dropped Piotr if she had lost interest? This change requires an insane amount of work from her... the easiest and safest thing would have been to stick to Piotr... but she didn't.

Cut her some slack, there won't be immediate success...expecting that will just set you up for disappointment.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
This should be her time of year. The hardcourts, where she has her best success.
If she cant win a set now, I think there is something wrong, very wrong.
Her last 2 USO's are final, semifinal.
If she loses round 1 as #1 seed, I think the media will be extremely negative to her.

So I dont understand what she's doing right before her best major

Jimmie48
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
So I dont understand what she's doing right before her best major

Because she can use the rest of the year and the tournaments to practice while still maintaining a respectable ranking even if worse comes to worse. That way, she should be tried and proven with the new coach already going into 2012.

If she would have postponed that switch until the winter she would go into 2012 without any match practice since the switch, not a good idea.

Plus, given the fact that she has been on a minor downward spiral since Miami, it's not very likely that she would have won the USO...it's not like she's been giving a sure slam title away.

I think the time for the switch is now, that way she can go fresh and focused into 2012 and start over there. The fact that most of her followers are yet unable to capitalize on her losses is fortunate because it softens the blow even more.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I understand that. I thought maybe she could tinker with her game while still be able to beat players like McHale.
I hope she and her coach understand what her skill set is. She is an extremely gifted defensive player. And it took her years of hard work to get there.

Jimmie48
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Well, if we assume it is Mortensen (the evidence is piling up) then we don't have to worry whether or not he knows her or understands her game.

If we can figure out what her strengths and weaknesses are, chances are the new coach will be able to tell as well ;)

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'll be watching like everyone else.
I just think a top level player, healthy, going into her best major, should be trying her best to win now. She might not be healthy 12 months from now.
After the USO start experimenting.

But its her decision, and I hope things turn out well.

QuietPlease
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:16 AM

If she manages to keep #1 in Tokyo there's a big risk she could lose the #1 rank in Beijing (defending 1000 points) - the very place she first claimed the #1 spot!!!

QuietPlease
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM
@Goldenlux and Jimmie48: interesting discussion. I think the coach change should have come right after Wimbledon, so the new coach would have some time to prepare her for the USO.
I don't understand the timing. This close to a major? Why not after the USO?

I hope she gets her confidence back. At least before the YEC, otherwise it's gonna be a loooong of-season!

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
@Goldenlux and Jimmie48: interesting discussion. I think the coach change should have come right after Wimbledon, so the new coach would have some time to prepare her for the USO.
I don't understand the timing. This close to a major? Why not after the USO?

I hope she gets her confidence back. At least before the YEC, otherwise it's gonna be a loooong of-season!The coaching change has not happened yet, right?
So dont I understand why she's making 40 errors in these 2 set losses.
Her best major is coming, she should be trying to peak. Save the experimenting for when she has her new coach watching and telling her what to do?

Jimmie48
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM
The coaching change has not happened yet, right?

It probably has, the articles say that she made the decision after Wimbledon and that Piotr is still there because the coach can't travel with her yet. To me that sounds like she's already using the new coach, he's just not present at tournaments yet.

But nobody really knows, it's all guessing games right now. The fact that she makes so much errors suggests that she's trying something new though and the switch is already in progress. Like Piotr said "She dosen't know what to do on court", she would know if she would stick to her usual plan.

backhandsmash
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
as of August 15, 2011

C Wozniacki 1 44 62 98 118 158
K Clijsters 1 20 182 288 338 423
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 290
M Sharapova 1 17 105 202 259 349
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 246
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 369
V Zvonareva 2 45 54 144 305

Just updated with the rest of the former #1's and Sveta (well, she's still in front of Vera) and Vera (not an impossible next #1).

backhandsmash
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
as of August 22, 2011

C Wozniacki 1 45 63 99 119 159
K Clijsters 1 20 183 289 339 424
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 291
M Sharapova 1 17 105 203 260 350
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 247
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 370
V Zvonareva 2 46 55 145 306

comeonkim
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
as of August 22, 2011

What does column '' HR '' mean ?

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
HR=highest ranking. Dinara is out of line, she was #1 also

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
In the rankings Caroline still leads by 2500, 9335 and 6820 for Vera.
But her recent results have her dropping to #2 in 2011 points. This major becomes big in the race, if one of the top group has a huge USO, they might have a 1000 point lead leaving NY

QuietPlease
Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
In the rankings Caroline still leads by 2500, 9335 and 6820 for Vera.
But her recent results have her dropping to #2 in 2011 points. This major becomes big in the race, if one of the top group has a huge USO, they might have a 1000 point lead leaving NY

True. Vera isn't a 'problem'. The threat is Li, Kvitova and especially Sharapova. Maybe Vika too.

USO and Beijing are gonna be crucial, as both must count among best 16. Could be interesting if all 4 or 5 women has a shot at #1 entering the YEC!

Frederik
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Beijing are gonna be crucial, as both must count among best 16.

Tokyo is not a Premier Mandatory tournament. ;)

Jorn
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thats why he/she wrote USO and Beijing ;)

We take 5 more weeks or it over IF her new coach can't bring her MUCH more confidence before PPO (Japan Open!)

Frederik
Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM

:lol::lol::help::smash:

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM

We take 5 more weeks or it over IF her new coach can't bring her MUCH more confidence before PPO (Japan Open!)I was watching her loss to Mchale, its partly confidence. And she's not serving well. Even McHale gets a few free points off her serve. Caro's serve gives her nothing. She has to fight hard to hold serve, and was broken 4-4 in the 1st, & 5-5 in the 2nd.
I've seen a lot of players like Kournikova & Dementieva. You HAVE to hold serve at key points of the set, or nothing else you do well matters enough to offset the breaks

DownInAHole
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM

We take 5 more weeks or it over IF her new coach can't bring her MUCH more confidence before PPO (Japan Open!)

Maria has already surpassed her in the race and she has virtually nothing to defend after the US Open. If Maria plays well at the US Open and during the Asian swing she has a great chance to end the year as number one. Who would have imagined that back in January?

If Caroline wants to retain her number one ranking she needs to start playing great tennis now and continue to do so until the end of the year. Can she do that? Maybe. But it seems unlikely when you consider how poorly she performed in her last two tournaments. Even if she wins the US Open it might not be enough because Maria can potentially pick up a ton of points with a deep run there.

Kvitova, Li and Azarenka are also within striking distance and if any or all of them have a good run from now till the end of the season they have a good chance at surpassing Caroline.

After her subpar performance at Roland Garros and Wimbledon great results in Toronto and Cincinnati were an absolute must for Caroline but unfortunately she laid two massive eggs. As things stand now it seems very unlikely that Caroline will end 2011 as number one.

Jorn
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
YE No 1? Its "easy" Caro need to defends her US Open SF and her 3 Premier Titles rest of the year... ;)

But it get excited should YEC 2011 decide a YE No. 1!

But I don't know about MariaS can she be No. 1 if she do well in her Tournaments, even Caro wins?

QuietPlease
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM

;)

backhandsmash
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
as of August 22, 2011

WTA site puts Venus at 335 weeks in top 5, Serena at 303 weeks and Sveta at 167 weeks: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20110822/ranking-watch-maria-moves-up-to-no4_2256076_2428859

It's quite the discrepancy. What gives? It's based on this thread btw: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=432901

Kim and Maria are the same as in this chart though.

Protoss
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Doing well at the US Open, Beijing, and YEC is pretty important as all 3 results will be stuck in her ranking til the same time next year.

Does anybody have a list of what all YEC race top 10 are playing after the US Open?

DownInAHole
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
YE No 1? Its "easy" Caro need to defends her US Open SF and her 3 Premier Titles rest of the year... ;)

But it get excited should YEC 2011 decide a YE No. 1!

But I don't know about MariaS can she be No. 1 if she do well in her Tournaments, even Caro wins?

Well, as far as events played in 2011 (the race) Maria is now number one. That is despite the fact that she played six fewer tournaments than Caroline has this season. So, assuming that Maria plays a relatively full schedule the rest of the season (US Open, Tokyo, Beijing, YEC) and does well in those tournaments she has a great chance of ending the year as number one. I should point out that Caroline is also still in a great position to end the year at number one but she needs to have better overall results for the rest of the season than several other players (Sharapova, Kvitova, Li and Azarenka). Yes, it is possible for her to achieve that but she needs to get her game together now and start producing, otherwise, barring a rafft of injuries to her rivals, she will not accumulate the needed points to retain her ranking.

Jorn
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
None plays in the 2 MM's weeks after US Open

All but Kim and Fran plays Japan Open.
All but Kim plays in China Open

Unknown in the Moscow/Lux.bourg week yet...

Players in need for YEC points may Enter Moscow.

Protoss
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
None plays in the 2 MM's weeks after US Open

All but Kim and Fran plays Japan Open.
All but Kim plays in China Open

Unknown in the Moscow/Lux.bourg week yet...

Players in need for YEC points may Enter Moscow.
I assume by Japan Open you mean the premier 5 Tokyo (Toray Pan Pacific Open) and not the international Osaka (HP Japan Women's Open).

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
The way Caroline is playing now, YE #1 doesnt look promising. She has to win a match or 2 this week, or her confidence might be very low going into NY.
I dont know what happened before Toronto. Maybe she really hurt her shoulder bad and couldnt practtice.

Playing after Wimbledon was crazy. Even if she had committed to it, she should have pulled out, & started her vacation after the Cibulkova loss.

I think when the year is over that setback after Wimbledon will be the reason she wasnt YE #1 for 2 years in a row

Jorn
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
Protoss, Yes I mean PPO, we don't know yet about the other Japan Open or the Linz week, one TOP player may Enter, if they not has used the MM events yet, maybe some from 11-16 on the race List...

QuietPlease
Aug 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
The way Caroline is playing now, YE #1 doesnt look promising. She has to win a match or 2 this week, or her confidence might be very low going into NY.

Or 4, taking the title :worship:

YE#1 seems within reach again!
Winning New Haven doesn't add that much in terms of year end points, but must give sweet Caroline a much needed confidence boost going to New York!

goldenlox
Aug 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I was concerned after the Mchale loss because Caroline had won Rogers Cup, Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, IW.. Thats 5 Tier I's in a row.
So losing 2 matches in Tier I's seemed like something was wrong.

New Haven was a very good week, hopefully a turnaround in her summer.

QuietPlease
Aug 29th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I was concerned after the Mchale loss because Caroline had won Rogers Cup, Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, IW.. Thats 5 Tier I's in a row.
So losing 2 matches in Tier I's seemed like something was wrong.

New Haven was a very good week, hopefully a turnaround in her summer.

Me too.
I didn't expect her to win New Haven and I was less than optimistic about the USO.
Now I'm excited about the Open again. I'm not saying I think she's gonna win, but she's one of the contenders for sure!

Go Caro! :cheer:

backhandsmash
Aug 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
as of August 29, 2011

C Wozniacki 1 46 64 100 120 160
K Clijsters 1 20 184 290 340 425
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 292
M Sharapova 1 17 105 204 261 351
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 248
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 371
V Zvonareva 2 47 56 146 307

100th week in the top 5 for the Woz.

QuietPlease
Aug 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
100th week in the top 5 for the Woz.

And that's out of 120 weeks in the top 10. Just 20 weeks ranked 6-10. And just 40 weeks ranked 11-20.
That's the result of her comet like rise to the elite, and her consistent quality to stay there.

Even though she might lose the #1 rank at Beijing or Istanbul, I'm pretty sure she'll stay inside the top 5 for many, many weeks.

QuietPlease
Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
With Kvitova, Li and Sharapova losing early in the USO, Caro has a great chance to gain a big lead in the race for YE #1 if she can avoid an upset and go deep in the draw!

I hope she can at least reach the SF. It would be interesting to see her up against Serena (or Vika!).

BUT, one match at a time! First it's time to beat Vania!

Go Caro :cheer:

QuietPlease
Sep 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
With her QF win Caroline is now safe at #1 until October 3rd (Beijing).
From WTA match notes:

Wozniacki is in her 46th & 47th weeks
at No.1; she has held the top spot, with the exception of 1 week, since October 11, 2010; she will extend her stretch at No.1 to
at least through week of October 3, regardless of results here…

Good luck against Serena! So proud of you already girl! :cheer:

Bonfire
Sep 9th, 2011, 10:14 PM
With her QF win Caroline is now safe at #1 until October 3rd (Beijing).
From WTA match notes:

Good luck against Serena! So proud of you already girl! :cheer:

:rocker: Yeah!:bounce:

backhandsmash
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
As of September 12, 2011

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 609
C Wozniacki 1 48 66 102 122 162
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 342 427
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 294
M Sharapova 1 17 106 206 263 353
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 250
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 373
V Zvonareva 2 48 58 148 309
V Azarenka 3 1 23 109 175
S Stosur 4 16 75 118
N Li 4 6 49 153

Since there was the usual GS two-week break in the ranking updates, I hope I have not messed up. :)

I added to the total like this for the following:

Serena: +1 in top 20 weeks.
Clijsters: +2 in top 20 and top 10 weeks. +1 in top 5 and top 3.
Sharapova: +2 in top 20, top 10 and top 5 weeks. +1 in top 3.
Zvonareva: Same as Sharapova.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong. (QuietPlease?)

TennisFan66
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM
As pr Sep 12, Caroline has 1,030 points over Race #2 Sharapova and 1,828 over Race #3, Li Na/Na Li (I know Chinese use the family name first, but then I'd have to know if Li or Na is the family name :lol: ). Serena Williams is #11 and 1,100 points behind #8 ..

QuietPlease
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Since there was the usual GS two-week break in the ranking updates, I hope I have not messed up. :)

Seems right to me. :)

QuietPlease
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
As pr Sep 12, Caroline has 1,030 points over Race #2 Sharapova and 1,828 over Race #3, Li Na/Na Li (I know Chinese use the family name first, but then I'd have to know if Li or Na is the family name :lol: ). Serena Williams is #11 and 1,100 points behind #8 ..

True, Caroline is 1030 points ahead of Maria in the race to YEC as of Sep 12th.
But if you only consider best 14 results (Beijing & Istanbul are mandatory and must be in best 16) the race for YE #1 is actually like this:

1 Caro 6865
2 Masha 6145
3 Li Na 5345 (Li is the family name)
4 Petra 5291
5 Vika 5055

720 points is still a good lead though :cool:

QuietPlease
Sep 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
But if you only consider best 14 results (Beijing & Istanbul are mandatory and must be in best 16) the race for YE #1 is actually like this:

1 Caro 6865
2 Masha 6145
4 Petra 5291
5 Vika 5055

Other than the 2 mandatory events remaining (Beijing/Istanbul) both Caroline and Maria are on the entry list for Tokyo. Neither are expected to enter other events this season.

Tokyo is not mandatory, but it is an opportunity for Maria to gain on Caroline. Maria has only played 12 events so far this year, so any Tokyo result would count in her best 16. Caroline would at least have to make the Tokyo SF to gain points for her ranking.

Thus, here are two potential best 14 scenarios (of many) post Tokyo:

Maria and Caroline both lose their first match:

1. Caroline 6865
2. Maria 6146

Maria and Caroline both reach and lose SF:

1. Caroline 6940
2. Maria 6540

So if you only look at the current WTA race for Istanbul as presented at their homepage Caroline has a solid 1030 point lead. But if you look closer at the numbers the race for year end #1 is much closer!

TennisFan66
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM

1 Caro 6865
2 Masha 6145
4 Petra 5291
5 Vika 5055

Grated with Caro's number of tournaments Vs Masha's, its adjusted not the full 1.030 points difference, Still a nice lead though :)

angliru
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM

I don't think you can break it up into some sort of virtual ranking after the first wek of a slam. The players will always keep their official ranking positions during the 2 weeks of slams (if I'm not mistaken) until the next ranking is published. Which means that Serena should have one less top 20 week, Sharapova one less top 3 week, and so on.

QuietPlease
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I don't think you can break it up into some sort of virtual ranking after the first wek of a slam. The players will always keep their official ranking positions during the 2 weeks of slams (if I'm not mistaken) until the next ranking is published. Which means that Serena should have one less top 20 week, Sharapova one less top 3 week, and so on.

I think he added the sep 5 and sep 12 rankings to the stat.

On sep 5 Serena was not top 20 on sep 12 she was. So +1 seems right to me. :shrug:

angliru
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Yes, I know. But I'm questioning whether there was any official September 5 ranking? WTA never publishes rankings in the middle of a slam. If a player goes into a slam as a WTA #1, then she's guaranteed to keep her #1 ranking for two weeks until the next raking is published. Even if she has virtually lost her #1 ranking in the first week. And if a player is certain to become a new world no. 1 already after her first match at a slam, then she still won't get the #1 ranking until the next ranking is published! She will be awarded after the match, like Carolie was after her Beijing QF 20140, but the official date will be the date when the ranking is published after the tournament is over.

I may be wrong, of course, but I'm actually quite sure that the weeks counts are always based on published rankings.

backhandsmash
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, I know. But I'm questioning whether there was any official September 5 ranking? WTA never publishes rankings in the middle of a slam. If a player goes into a slam as a WTA #1, then she's guaranteed to keep her #1 ranking for two weeks until the next raking is published. Even if she has virtually lost her #1 ranking in the first week. And if a player is certain to become a new world no. 1 already after her first match at a slam, then she still won't get the #1 ranking until the next ranking is published! She will be awarded after the match, like Carolie was after her Beijing QF 20140, but the official date will be the date when the ranking is published after the tournament is over.

I may be wrong, of course, but I'm actually quite sure that the weeks counts are always based on published rankings.

But Serena's and Sharapova's +1 week count is going by the published ranking. Not saying you are wrong and I'm right or anything, btw.

Aaaah, this would be so much easier if the WTA site had some semblance of in-depth stats. :(

angliru
Sep 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Your figures are correct then... (påbegyndte uger, som vi siger).

Jorn
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Can somebody figure out how many points Caro need to earn in Japan and Kina to stay No. 1 after China Open?

Safe points after Japan are 8830.

Protoss
Sep 13th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Can somebody figure out how many points Caro need to earn in Japan and Kina to stay No. 1 after China Open?

Safe points after Japan are 8830.
Sharapova can have as many as 8145 points after Beijing.

Caro has 8755 safe points after Tokyo and 7755 after Beijing by my calculations.

9335 (current point total) - 900 (Tokyo points from last year) = 8435 + 320 (17th best result) = 8755

8755 - 1000 (Beijing points from last year) = 7755

8145 (Sharapova's max point total after Beijing) - 7755 (Caro's safe total after Beijing) = 370

So Caro would have to make the semis of Beijing or the semis of Tokyo and quarters in Tokyo to stay at #1 if Sharapova wins Tokyo and Beijing.

QuietPlease
Sep 14th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Sharapova can have as many as 8145 points after Beijing.

Caro has 8755 safe points after Tokyo and 7755 after Beijing by my calculations.

9335 (current point total) - 900 (Tokyo points from last year) = 8435 + 320 (17th best result) = 8755

8755 - 1000 (Beijing points from last year) = 7755

8145 (Sharapova's max point total after Beijing) - 7755 (Caro's safe total after Beijing) = 370

So Caro would have to make the semis of Beijing or the semis of Tokyo and quarters in Tokyo to stay at #1 if Sharapova wins Tokyo and Beijing.

Maria's max point total after Beijing is 8045

6226 - 1 + 900 - 80 + 1000 = 8045

Your last sentense doesn't make sense, but I suppose you meant the semis of Tokyo and quarters of Beijing?

9335 - 900 + 395 - 1000 + 250 = 8080

That would be enough, so Caro need a SF is Beijing or a SF in Tokyo + QF in Beijing to be safe after Beijing if Maria wins both.

But Maria would probably be YE #1 then, because she has no points to defend at YEC, Caro has 890.

Protoss
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Maria's max point total after Beijing is 8045

6226 - 1 + 900 - 80 + 1000 = 8045

Your last sentense doesn't make sense, but I suppose you meant the semis of Tokyo and quarters of Beijing?

9335 - 900 + 395 - 1000 + 250 = 8080

That would be enough, so Caro need a SF is Beijing or a SF in Tokyo + QF in Beijing to be safe after Beijing if Maria wins both.

But Maria would probably be YE #1 then, because she has no points to defend at YEC, Caro has 890.
I think I was thinking of both Tokyo and Beijing having both a maximum of 1000 ranking points, hence the extra 100 points.

Yah, I meant semis of Tokyo and quarters in Beijing.

Do you know the point breakdown for wins/losses at the YEC? I can't find it at the Wta's site.

Crockett
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Do you know the point breakdown for wins/losses at the YEC? I can't find it at the Wta's site.
During the round robin stage, each player gets 70 points for losing a match and 230 for winning.

The losing semifinalists get no further points. The losing finalist gets an extra 360, and the champion gets an extra 810.

In this way, the champion scores 1500 points (230+230+230+810), provided that she won all three of her RR matches on the way.

backhandsmash
Sep 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
As of September 12, 2011

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 609
C Wozniacki 1 48 66 102 122 162
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 342 427
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 294
M Sharapova 1 17 106 206 263 353
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 250
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 373
V Zvonareva 2 48 58 148 309
V Azarenka 3 1 23 109 175
S Stosur 4 16 75 118
N Li 4 6 49 153

Just added our 2 first-time slam winners (Li and Stosur) and new top 3 player (Azarenka) to the list.

QuietPlease
Sep 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Just added our 2 first-time slam winners (Li and Stosur) and new top 3 player (Azarenka) to the list.

Why add those but not Kvitova and Schiavone? Petrova was top 3 too.

backhandsmash
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Why add those but not Kvitova and Schiavone? Petrova was top 3 too.

Well that was kind of embarrassing! :facepalm:

I'll get right on it! And I'll include Franny and even Petrova for you. :)

backhandsmash
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
As of September 19, 2011

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 610
C Wozniacki 1 49 67 103 123 163
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 343 428
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 295
M Sharapova 1 17 107 207 264 354
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 251
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 374
V Zvonareva 2 48 59 149 310
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
V Azarenka 3 2 24 110 176
F Schiavone 4 18 68 246
S Stosur 4 16 76 119
N Li 4 7 50 154
P Kvitova 6 20 34

Kvitova, Franny and Petrova coming up...

QuietPlease
Sep 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well that was kind of embarrassing! :facepalm:

I'll get right on it! And I'll include Franny and even Petrova for you. :)

Alright. Now I think you have all active slam winners/top 3 players (+retired Henin and Mauresmo) :)

QuietPlease
Sep 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Shamelessly stolen (and updated) from the stat forum:

Only players who have broken into the top-20 since 1997 listed.

as of August 8, 2011

C Wozniacki 1 43 61 97 117 157
K Clijsters 1 20 181 287 337 422

I suppose this is why Henin and Mauresmo is listed, but not Hingis, Davenport and earlier #1s?

backhandsmash
Sep 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
That's right.

Michael*
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Karolina should end 2011 #1 but will probably drop it around IW.

Many points to defend from AO until that time, and her main competitors do not. Also Serena will most likely be up and firing by then.

Wozniacka should brace her self for a rocky road to come...hope dear Karolina can pull through!

QuietPlease
Sep 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Karolina should end 2011 #1 but will probably drop it around IW.

Many points to defend from AO until that time, and her main competitors do not. Also Serena will most likely be up and firing by then.

Wozniacka should brace her self for a rocky road to come...hope dear Karolina can pull through!

2011 year end #1 is still a close race between Caro and Sharapova. Caro is in the lead, but it's not in the bag yet.
As you mention Caro has a lot of points to defend in AO, Dubai & Indian Wells. However if Maria should get to #1, then she has a lot of points to defend in Miami, Rome, FO and Wimbledon... And you're right Serena is always gonna be a contender if healthy. So #1 could go back on forth a few times in 2012, then again that's what we said prior to the 2011 season between Caro, Kim and Vera. Kim got 1 week, Vera 0.

C. W. Fields
Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
2011 year end #1 is still a close race between Caro and Sharapova. Caro is in the lead, but it's not in the bag yet.
As you mention Caro has a lot of points to defend in AO, Dubai & Indian Wells. However if Maria should get to #1, then she has a lot of points to defend in Miami, Rome, FO and Wimbledon... And you're right Serena is always gonna be a contender if healthy. So #1 could go back on forth a few times in 2012, then again that's what we said prior to the 2011 season between Caro, Kim and Vera. Kim got 1 week, Vera 0.

I'm not sure Serena will play enough to be a contender even if she's healthy. She won't play Tokyo, she rarely plays Beijing and she won't qualify for YEC. Odds are she'll only play a handful of tournaments outside the slams and as USO showed it's no certainty the 'old' girl (she turns 30 Monday) will win those even when in good shape.

Sharapova's a bigger threat but even with her many good results this year I still don't quite trust her stability (the USO loss against Pennetta being one example). If Caro regains (or already has regained) her usual stability I think she'll stay #1 though her current 3000 points lead will likely become a great deal smaller. But a great advantage to Caro is I expect her to win HC matches between the two (which means all matches the next ½ year).

DownInAHole
Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure Serena will play enough to be a contender even if she's healthy. She won't play Tokyo, she rarely plays Beijing and she won't qualify for YEC. Odds are she'll only play a handful of tournaments outside the slams and as USO showed it's no certainty the 'old' girl (she turns 30 Monday) will win those even when in good shape.

I'm a little surprised that Serena is not playing a heavier schedule. Perhaps the foot/toe injury she had in Cincinnati is the reason but I thought that she would play Tokyo and Beijing for certain and that she might even play Moscow. I figured that she would want to accumulate as many points as possible in order to get her ranking up as high as she can for the Australian Open. With great results in Tokyo and Beijing she could even have qualified for the YEC which would have been an opportunity for her to pick up even more points.

I guess that she has proven in the past that she can win slams as a low seed/with fairly little match play but with the long lay off I thought that she may have missed playing and would have taken advantage of every chance to get more matches in.

marineblue
Sep 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I think Serena wanted to outdo Kim´s UO 2009 run but it all went wrong and now she is probably sick and tired of tennis world. If she doesn´t turn up in Asia I guess that is her done for 2011.

Michael*
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Serena is supposedly playing Beijing and Linz. She would need to win both to be safe for YEC's if that's what she wants right?

Sadly however I see her working the scene in NY for a little while longer, taker a vacation and get ready for Australia.

C. W. Fields
Sep 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Serena is supposedly playing Beijing and Linz. She would need to win both to be safe for YEC's if that's what she wants right?

Sadly however I see her working the scene in NY for a little while longer, taker a vacation and get ready for Australia.

Serena is 1100 points behind #8 on the Race list, Bartoli. Winning Beijing and Linz would gain SW 1280 points but that's only enough if MB wins nothing on her Asian swing. I'm not sure what Serena plans for the rest of 2011 but not playing Tokyo signals she has pretty much given up on YEC (same for Kim).

backhandsmash
Sep 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
As of September 26, 2011

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 611
C Wozniacki 1 50 68 104 124 164
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 344 429
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 296
M Sharapova 1 17 108 208 265 355
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 375
V Zvonareva 2 48 60 150 311
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
V Azarenka 3 3 25 111 177
F Schiavone 4 18 69 247
S Stosur 4 16 77 120
N Li 4 8 51 155
P Kvitova 6 21 35

50th week at #1 for the Woz and 2 years in the top 5 . :worship:

Sharapova reaches 4 years in the top 5.

Ivanovic drops out of top 20.

Depending on Franny*, Clijsters could move back up to #8 without playing, on next monday's ranking.

Kvitova could very likely have her top 5 or even top 3 debut next week, if she performs (depends on other results of course).

Stosur could, in a best case scenario, reach #3. That would require the title though and other results going her way.

Edit: * And I guess isn't playing in this tournament. Someone wake me up! :facepalm:

terjw
Sep 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM
As of September 26, 2011

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 611
C Wozniacki 1 50 68 104 124 164
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 344 429
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 296
M Sharapova 1 17 108 208 265 355
V Zvonareva 2 48 60 150 311
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
V Azarenka 3 3 25 111 177
F Schiavone 4 18 69 247
S Stosur 4 16 77 120
N Li 4 8 51 155
P Kvitova 6 21 35

I straightened up the alignment.

QuietPlease
Sep 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
50th week at #1 for the Woz and 2 years in the top 5 . :worship:

Two years in the top 5 already! Nice :cool:

Jorn
Sep 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Its impressive Caro has spend more weeks at No. 1 than Kim, MashaS and Venus together...

Jorn
Sep 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Now atleast 4 more weeks at No. 1.

marineblue
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Cool. Oh, I really wish that she wins end-of-the-year no.1. I am a bit concerned how will the server bear it. The GM will go up with flames, they are already obsessing about the prospect of it, LOL. They even went as far as to try to imagine things that never happened. I have officially given up on any chance of reasoning with that lot. They are a lost case.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
Only one player on the tour, Serena, has more weks at #1 than Caroline.
If Caroline can finish #1, that would be 51 weeks. No one has been #1 all 52 weeks since the 1990's.
So a big 2 tournaments coming up, going for back to back YE #1 and 51 weeks at #1 in 2011

marineblue
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
You sound as if you were trying to convince us about it :-). Too much time spent with trolls in GM! I think Caro will make it, the things got even easier for her now. I don't see anyone being able to take over her spot. Even if Maria was healthy she is not in such a fantastic form as some of her die-hard fans suggest and the likes of Kvitty, Vika, Vera are perfectly beatable,too. I think Caro is saving the energy for the YEC now. She has not won a slam and this is the last big event of a season. So fingers crossed she finished the year in style. If she does maybe we could do a new "celebration threat", LOL.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM
I think when a player is #1 almost every week, it is a big deal to finish it off.
So Caroline has a lot to play for. And looking at this draw, no easy matches left in 2011

backhandsmash
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
I hope she takes YE #1, but next year her mindset should really be "been there, done that, it's SLAM-TIME!". Her #1 "legacy" would already be ensured as a consecutive YE #1. And if the slam wins come, the #1 ranking would automatically follow in her case, anyway.

Jorn
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
As we can still talk about Caro's at No. 1 for atleast 4 more weeks are that MariaS got injured and can't play next week, but how well can she play in YEC...

Ana Vika how bad is her injury? (from dubs match)

And will Caro play better in next match(es)? ;) What is needed!

backhandsmash
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM
As we can still talk about Caro's at No. 1 for atleast 4 more weeks are that MariaS got injured and can't play next week, but how well can she play in YEC...

Was it a real injury? I just assumed it was business as usual from Vika.

manu32
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Except anything

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I hope she takes YE #1, but next year her mindset should really be "been there, done that, it's SLAM-TIME!". Her #1 "legacy" would already be ensured as a consecutive YE #1. And if the slam wins come, the #1 ranking would automatically follow in her case, anyway.I agree. This is history. Back to back YE #1 and 51 weeks in 2011.
Once the YEC is over, the next 2 months - get some rest, then point for the AO.
After the AO she has a few months. She can play the tournaments she wants and work on her game before red clay season.

But right now, this is a big deal to get 51 weeks of 2011 at #1.

Jorn
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Was it a real injury? I just assumed it was business as usual from Vika.
WTA wrote about a knee injury, But there has not been any news about it and Vika's Twitter with no info last 2 days...

Not because she will be the big threat as new No. 1...

terjw
Oct 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM

Somehow I don't think we are going to get any news on that :lol:.

marineblue
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hmm, so Vika has also started to use the mystery injuries tactics?

backhandsmash
Oct 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
As of October 3rd, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 612
C Wozniacki 1 51 69 105 125 165
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 345 430
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 297
M Sharapova 1 17 109 209 266 356
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 252
V Zvonareva 2 49 61 151 312
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
V Azarenka 3 3 26 112 178
F Schiavone 4 18 70 248
S Stosur 4 16 78 121
N Li 4 8 52 156
P Kvitova 5 1 22 36

Top 5 debut for Kvitova!

Zvonareva back to #3.

Azarenka drops to #4.

Li Na drops to #6.

Ivanovic back in top 20.
Sveta drops out of top 20.

I straightened up the alignment.

Got it. :)

QuietPlease
Oct 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Monday October 10th will be Caroline's 52nd week as WTA #1. Celebrated this week in Beijing:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a5/fullj.2252d53cebb54a545f4951a93910406f/2252d53cebb54a545f4951a93910406f-getty-128056096.jpg

QuietPlease
Oct 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I hope I'm not getting ahead of things here, but as we know Caroline is the favorite to end 2011 as #1.
She hasn't got any points to defend in Sydney, so she could be #1 entering AO. I think that would be her 66th & 67th week as #1 :bounce:

A win over Kanepi tomorrow is a step towards that :cheer:

CWTennis
Oct 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Monday October 10th will be Caroline's 52nd week as WTA #1.
Congrats Caro! :):worship:

backhandsmash
Oct 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
As of October 10, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 613
C Wozniacki 1 52 70 106 126 166
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 431
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 298
M Sharapova 1 17 110 210 267 357
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 253
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 376
V Zvonareva 2 49 62 152 313
V Azarenka 3 4 27 113 179
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
F Schiavone 4 18 70 249
S Stosur 4 16 79 122
N Li 4 8 53 157
P Kvitova 4 2 23 37

One year at #1 for the Woz! :yeah:

Kvitova moves to a career-high of #4.

Azarenka overtakes Petrova on this list.

Schiavone drops out of the top 10.

Kuznetsova is back in the top 20.

Chrissie-fan
Oct 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
One year at #1 for the Woz! :yeah:

:worship:

backhandsmash
Oct 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
As of October 17, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 614
C Wozniacki 1 53 71 107 127 167
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 432
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 299
M Sharapova 1 17 111 211 268 358
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 377
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 153 314
V Azarenka 3 5 28 114 180
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
F Schiavone 4 18 70 250
S Stosur 4 16 80 123
N Li 4 8 54 158
P Kvitova 4 3 24 38

53 and counting...:)

Clijsters drops out of the top 10.
Ivanovic drops out of the top 20.

And I guess we could have a brand new top 3 player next week.

backhandsmash
Oct 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
As of October 24, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 615
C Wozniacki 1 54 72 108 128 168
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 433
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 300
M Sharapova 1 17 112 212 269 359
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 378
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 154 315
V Azarenka 3 5 29 115 181
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
P Kvitova 3 1 4 25 39
F Schiavone 4 18 70 251
S Stosur 4 16 81 124
N Li 4 9 55 159

54 and counting...:)

Petra is now a top 3 player.

Li is back in the top 5.

And JJ has her 300th week in the top 20.

QuietPlease
Oct 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
54 and counting...:)

Thanks for the update.
Next week's update is gonna be crucial. YEAR END #1 in the line of fire!

backhandsmash
Oct 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the update.
Next week's update is gonna be crucial. YEAR END #1 in the line of fire!

Yeah, it's going to be very interesting, this YEC. I think she'll do just fine though.

backhandsmash
Oct 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
How Can Wozniacki Clinch Year-End No.1?

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20111025/how-can-wozniacki-clinch-year-end-no1_2256076_2492987

"Here is everyone's points total at the start of the tournament:
7115 - Wozniacki
6370 - Sharapova
5870 - Kvitova
5630 - Azarenka

Can Wozniacki eliminate these threats in the round robin stage? Yes..."

Apparently another 280 points were/will be deducted before/after the event. Guess it's Copenhagen that will now be her 17th best result.

Jorn
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
They said on Eurosport that Caro needs to defend the 890 points, if Maria win the YEC. (Selv om de måske ikke ved det 100% rigtigt...)

backhandsmash
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM
The WTA needs to explain this better. They have her at 7395 as of yesterday on their rankings, but then gets all excited and publishes an article that confuses the hell out of people.

Jorn
Oct 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
So current Ranking with YEC 2010 points off, but with 16. best results, who one will drop off? Replaced by 2011 YEC result...

Caro has to play much better this week to stay No. 1!

Ithink Vika is our hope, she can beat both Masha and Kvitova... ;)

QuietPlease
Oct 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM
The WTA needs to explain this better. They have her at 7395 as of yesterday on their rankings, but then gets all excited and publishes an article that confuses the hell out of people.

It's not that complicated actually. This week she has 7,395 points (Doha 2010 is already off).
But Istanbul is mandatory, so even if she doesn't play, it must be included in her best 16, replacing Copenhagen 280 points. So next week she will have 7,395 - 280 + Istanbul.

backhandsmash
Oct 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM
It's not that complicated actually. This week she has 7,395 points (Doha 2010 is already off).
But Istanbul is mandatory, so even if she doesn't play, it must be included in her best 16, replacing Copenhagen 280 points. So next week she will have 7,395 - 280 + Istanbul.

It's not complicated. To us. But casual tennis fans will perplexed by this, I bet.

Burisleif
Oct 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Why did they bother publishing a ranking with Doha off rather than just replacing Doha with Istanbul?

QuietPlease
Oct 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
It's not complicated. To us. But casual tennis fans will perplexed by this, I bet.

I guess you're right.

How Can Wozniacki Clinch Year-End No.1?

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20111025/how-can-wozniacki-clinch-year-end-no1_2256076_2492987

Good to see WTA agrees with the calculation I already made:

Caro, Maria & Petra's projected ranking after Istanbul:

Name 0-3RR 1-2RR 2-1RR 3-0RR RU1RR RU2RR RU3RR W1RR W2RR W3RR

Caro Wozniacki 7,325 7,485 7,645 7,805 7,845 8,005 8,165 8,295 8,455 8,615
Maria Sharapova 6,580 6,740 6,900 7,060 7,100 7,260 7,420 7,550 7,710 7,870
Petra Kvitova 6,080 6,240 6,400 6,560 6,600 6,760 6,920 7,050 7,210 7,370

In my table I assume all play 3RR matches. Each lost RR match = 70 points, but if you don't play you get 0 points.

C. W. Fields
Oct 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
With Maria losing her first match Caro 'just' needs to go 3-0 in RR to be sure of being YE #1 (even if Maria wins the tournament).

Jorn
Oct 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Ithink it more likely Vika beats Maria than Caro goes up 3-0...

Jorn
Oct 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Btw, Now she started playing in YEC she gets a 1.000.000 $ Bonus.

and staying at #1 may be worth 3 more mill US $.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Winning today means Petra & Vika cant be YE #1.
Just Maria, and for Caro, this match with Vera is big because she could use a big week here, because you keep these points for 50 weeks. The whole 2012 season until next YEC
Its also big for Vera, if she goes 0-2, she's probably out

QuietPlease
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Updated after Istanbul day 1:

Name 0-3RR 1-2RR 2-1RR 3-0RR RU1RR RU2RR RU3RR W1RR W2RR W3RR

Caro Wozniacki - 7,485 7,645 7,805 7,845 8,005 8,165 8,295 8,455 8,615
Maria Sharapova 6,580 6,740 6,900 7,060 7,100 7,260 - 7,550 7,710 -
Petra Kvitova - 6,240 6,400 6,560 6,600 6,760 6,920 7,050 7,210 7,370

This table does not take injuries into account. Each lost RR match = 70 points, but if you don't play you get 0 points.

Maria needs to be champion to be #1. Petra has no chance unless Caro withdraws.
Caroline is safe with 3 RR wins or as RU (with 1RR win or more).

QuietPlease
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Winning today means Petra & Vika cant be YE #1.
Just Maria, and for Caro, this match with Vera is big because she could use a big week here, because you keep these points for 50 weeks. The whole 2012 season until next YEC
Its also big for Vera, if she goes 0-2, she's probably out

True, Vera is under pressure against Caro!
And if Caro beat Vera she's got one foot in the SF. :cheer:

Jorn
Oct 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM
As I has said before Vika can save Caro's YE No.1, if she can beat Maria or just win one set from Li Na. But much shall go wrong if she's not No. 1 Caro!

Jorn
Oct 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
SHE's YE No. 1!! 4 mill US $ in the Bank!! or more! :yeah:

Congrats Caro!! :)

goldenlox
Oct 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM
51 weeks at #1. That will sound better if she makes the semis in Istanbul

Jorn
Oct 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Its 54 weeks now and untill atleast the Brisbane tournament ends....

goldenlox
Oct 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
51 in one calendar year. By AO time it will be around 70

QuietPlease
Oct 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Congrats to Caroline, 2010 Year End #1 & 2011 Year End #1! :cheer:

I really hope she finds a way to beat Petra today. 2-1 and a SF sounds so much better than 1-2 and out!

Besides, If Petra wins she'll be a huge threat for #1 in January!

Jorn
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
maybe be a loss today, but she's not out yet, can Kvitova also beat Aga and Aga wins today the Standing will be:

1 3-0 w/l

3 x 1-2 w/l and sets will be the desider...

But I fear Vera can beat little injured Aga, so Caro needs to win today! But even with 2-1 w/l she's not sure into the SF...

About No. 1 in January, can Kvitova get 4 wins in 4 days at the YEC...

C. W. Fields
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Congrats to Caroline, 2010 Year End #1 & 2011 Year End #1! :cheer:

I really hope she finds a way to beat Petra today. 2-1 and a SF sounds so much better than 1-2 and out!

Besides, If Petra wins she'll be a huge threat for #1 in January!

Caro must beat Petra 2-0 to be sure of SF. If she beats Petra 2-1 while Vera beats Aga 2-0 and Petra also beats Aga then Petra wins the group and it comes down to a games count between Caro and Vera for 2nd place.

QuietPlease
Oct 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
51 in one calendar year. By AO time it will be around 70

On my count she'll spend her 66th and 67th week at #1 during the AO. :cool:

Jimmie48
Oct 27th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The only thing that gives her a bit of breathing room is the fact that she has no points to defend at Sydney, after that defending the ranking will be difficult until RG.

The good news is that there are lots of points to be picked up starting the early summer, the only thing big things she has to defend are the USO SF & the New Haven win. So if her game makes progress during the first half of the year, she can get on a roll and pick up lots of points in the second half.

QuietPlease
Oct 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm glad Caro finished 2011 as #1. She was brilliant in the first half.
But in the new season the main priority shouldn't be the ranking, it's likely to drop anyway.
What she need is to get her game back and re-build her confidence. She has to enjoy playing tennis again. Then she can start winning big tournaments and look at the rankings again.

goldenlox
Oct 30th, 2011, 02:46 AM
On my count she'll spend her 66th and 67th week at #1 during the AO. :cool:Still 9 weeks left on that 51 of 52. :D

backhandsmash
Oct 31st, 2011, 02:26 PM
As of October 31, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 616
C Wozniacki 1 55 73 109 129 169
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 434
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 301
M Sharapova 1 17 112 213 270 360
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 379
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 155 316
V Azarenka 3 6 30 116 182
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
P Kvitova 2 2 5 26 40
F Schiavone 4 18 70 252
S Stosur 4 16 82 125
N Li 4 10 56 160

55 weeks and counting until the end of the year. :)

Petra moves to #2 and past Azarenka and Petrova on this list. Edit: No, she doesn't.

Maria out of top 3.

QuietPlease
Oct 31st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Still 9 weeks left on that 51 of 52. :D

Fingers crossed:
Caroline wins the Australian Open and spends at least 52 weeks in a row at #1 :worship:

backhandsmash
Nov 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Wozniacki & Huber head into off-season on top

"Caroline Wozniacki spends her 56th to 63rd weeks at No.1 in
the off-season. Her first 18 came from October 11, 2010 to February
13, 2011; after Kim Clijsters had a week there, she is now in
her second stint (these are her 38th to 45th straight weeks there)."

As of December 26, 2011

S William 1 123 207 289 516 624
C Wozniacki 1 63 81 117 137 177
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 442
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 309
M Sharapova 1 17 112 221 278 368
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 387
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 163 324
V Azarenka 3 14 38 124 190
P Kvitova 2 10 13 34 48
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
F Schiavone 4 18 70 260
N Li 4 18 64 168
S Stosur 4 16 90 133

Just added 8 weeks to all, where appropriate.

2012, here we come!!!

terjw
Nov 7th, 2011, 08:56 PM
backhandsmash ^^ - I've taken your post and lined it up better. To do this - I changed everything in the code block table to Courier New font which gives the same spacing to every character. Then I manually lined it up adding / deleting spaces as necessary. And WYSIWYG - it lines up.

If you quote my post and then remove the quotes and this text to just leave the code block with the table - you can edit it for next time knowing it should all line up.

P Kvitova 2 10 13 34 48
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
F Schiavone 4 18 70 260
N Li 4 18 64 168
S Stosur 4 16 90 133

backhandsmash
Nov 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
terjw, I'm not sure I see your point.

P Kvitova 2 10 13 34 48
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
F Schiavone 4 18 70 260
N Li 4 18 64 168
S Stosur 4 16 90 133

terjw
Nov 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
terjw, I'm not sure I see your point.

Your table was very difficult to read. It didn't line up and numbers were in the wrong columns making it very difficult. So the table I did - everything is aligned.

postalblowfish
Nov 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Your table was very difficult to read. It didn't line up and numbers were in the wrong columns making it very difficult. So the table I did - everything is aligned.

It's fine for me. Maybe different browsers?

Jorn
Nov 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Not since 1994 one has been No. 1 for a full year, Caro was sooo near!

Caroline Closes Season On Top

Ranking Watch: Caroline Closes Season On Top

NOVEMBER 08, 2011

Caroline Wozniacki's year did not include that long sought-after first Grand Slam title, but there were plenty of highlights, including being No.1 in the world on the season-ending rankings for the second straight year. The last player to achieve that feat was Justine Henin in 2007.

Wozniacki just missed another accomplishment, as she was one week short of maintaining the No.1 ranking the entire year (Kim Clijsters overtook her just the week of February 14). Here is a list of all who have been No.1 from a year's start to finish:

Player Year
Chris Evert 1977
Chris Evert 1981
Martina Navratilova 1983
Martina Navratilova 1984
Martina Navratilova 1986
Steffi Graf 1988
Steffi Graf 1989
Steffi Graf 1990
Monica Seles 1992
Steffi Graf 1994

Wozniacki will be hard-pressed to hold onto No.1 in 2012, though, as No.2 Petra Kvitova, whose six titles this year tied the Dane for most on the WTA, is in striking distance of the top spot. If she were to surpass Wozniacki, she would be the second Czech No.1 ever - Martina Navratilova having been the first. Regardless, Wozniacki is up to ninth place all-time in weeks spent at No.1.

Also of note, No.3 Victoria Azarenka finished with her best-ever season-ending ranking. No.4 Maria Sharapova had her best finish since 2006. Interestingly enough, five different countries were represented in the season-ending Top 5. That has only previously occurred three times - in 1991, 1992 and 1996. No.8 Agnieszka Radwanska and No.9 Marion Bartoli also had their career-best season ending rankings.

Crockett
Nov 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
It's fine for me. Maybe different browsers?
Or perhaps different skins on TF.

postalblowfish
Nov 10th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Aye, that's possible.

angliru
Nov 12th, 2011, 01:20 AM
The post by backhandsmash was perfect on my system (Windows & Mozilla). But I know that tables using the "CODE" formatting may come out differently depending on the browser. For instance, some users in the past have complained that my tables were unreadable with IE when I used Tab-stops in the "CODE" formatting. Spaces seems to be a safer route than tab stops.

backhandsmash
Nov 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I just checked with IE. Man, that browser mucks my table up. Terjw's way is better in that browser (but still not perfect).

Chrome behaves like it should, and so does Firefox.

backhandsmash
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Wozniacki & Huber on top to start 2012

"Caroline Wozniacki spends her 64th week at No.1 this week. All
64 weeks have come within the last 65 weeks, the only week between
October 11, 2010 and today where she wasn’t on top coming
the week of February 14, 2011 (Kim Clijsters was No.1). The
race for No.1 heats up in Australia with Petra Kvitova on her tail."

As of January 2, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 625
C Wozniacki 1 64 82 118 138 178
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 443
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 310
M Sharapova 1 17 112 222 279 369
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 388
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 164 325
V Azarenka 3 15 39 125 191
P Kvitova 2 11 14 35 49
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 19 65 169
F Schiavone 4 18 70 261
S Stosur 4 16 91 134

backhandsmash
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:21 PM
For terjw:

P Kvitova 2 11 14 35 49
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 19 65 169
F Schiavone 4 18 70 261
S Stosur 4 16 91 134

;)

angliru
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I don't know if the tables have different formatting but they both look fine in Firefox. But I think Serena is missing an "s" in her surname - if I have to nitpick...

backhandsmash
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM
How did I miss that?? :yeah:

And I think he must be using IE. The original table is a mess in that browser.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Next week is 64 or this week? So if she leaves Sydney still at #1, its at least 66 weeks, maybe 67

backhandsmash
Jan 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I don't think she can lose the ranking until after AO.

Martn7
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Both Caro and Petra play in Sydney, so I think that if Petra has a deep run there and Caro has an early exit, Petra will be #1 after Sydney.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think if Kvitova wins Sydney she's #1. But I'm not sure.
I dont expect Caroline to be #1 for 51 weeks a 2nd straight year. She has a lot to defend thru IW, even thru Brussels

angliru
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think it is like this, if I'm not mistaken:

Caro's lead atm is 395 points if we remove Kvitova's 2011 Brisbane points. A Sydney win would give Kvitova 470 points and the #1 ranking unless Caro reaches at least QF (worth 120 points).

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm really doubtful about this one. It's because I also checked TBE's rankings. He has Kvitova at 7190 points without Brisbane. According to WTA it's 7090 points without Brisbane (7370-280). Any explanatinon?

backhandsmash
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM
They are at 7485 and 7370 respectively. Petra will have 280 coming off. Which is really only 180, because she has a 100 pointer that will now be her 16th best instead. So in actuality, when the tourny starts, it's 7485 for Woz and 7190 for Petra.

angliru
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, of course. But that means Kvitova can definetely take the #1 spot if she wins Sydney (470 points) AND Caro doesn't reach at least the SF (200 points)!

backhandsmash
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I mistook it for an International and not a Premier. I Should have known, of course, since Woz could not have played Copenhagen then. So yes, Kvitova grabs pole position, in case she she wins the tournament. Even if Woz is the losing finalist.

angliru
Jan 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Yes, you're right again. Because Caro's 16th result is as good as it is (320 points) she can't increase her ranking points - even as a RU!

Why is WTA so complicated? I think I'll just stick with junior tennis ;)

terjw
Jan 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM
For terjw:

P Kvitova 2 11 14 35 49
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 19 65 169
F Schiavone 4 18 70 261
S Stosur 4 16 91 134

;)

Thank you.

backhandsmash
Jan 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
As of January 9, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 626
C Wozniacki 1 65 83 119 139 179
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 444
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 311
M Sharapova 1 17 112 223 280 370
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 389
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 165 326
V Azarenka 3 16 40 126 192
P Kvitova 2 12 15 36 50
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 66 170
F Schiavone 4 18 70 262
S Stosur 4 16 92 135

backhandsmash
Jan 9th, 2012, 02:09 PM
For terjw:

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 626
C Wozniacki 1 65 83 119 139 179
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 444
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 311
M Sharapova 1 17 112 223 280 370
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 389
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 165 326
V Azarenka 3 16 40 126 192
P Kvitova 2 12 15 36 50
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 66 170
F Schiavone 4 18 70 262
S Stosur 4 16 92 135

Jorn
Jan 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Atleast 2 more weeks! Can she "survive" January at No. 1?

Now at AO the heat is on and many can get onto No. 1! :eek:

backhandsmash
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you Li Na, for the extra 2 weeks lol.

Or something.

Jimmie48
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
What would be the result Caro would need to defend her #1 at AO regardless of what Kvitova is doing? Win? Final?

Protoss
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
What would be the result Caro would need to defend her #1 at AO regardless of what Kvitova is doing? Win? Final?
She would have to win it. :shrug:

backhandsmash
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Win it to be 100% sure. A final could do it, if it's not against Kvitova. A SF could be enough, if Kvitova is stopped no later than the QF and so on...

But you have to take Vika and Maria into account also. A F loss for either will be enough, even if Woz defends all her points.

Woz, Petra, Vika and Maria all making the SF would be awesome, wouldn't it.

Jimmie48
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I see, thanks. So when looking at it realistically, the ranking is pretty much sure to be gone. I could see Kvitova make an early exit to help things but not Vika & Sharapova as well.

And honestly, the way things are going a SF for Caro looks like a steep order right now.

backhandsmash
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I meant a F for Vika and Maria, obviously. :)

Chrissie-fan
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I see, thanks. So when looking at it realistically, the ranking is pretty much sure to be gone. I could see Kvitova make an early exit to help things but not Vika & Sharapova as well.

Well, Vika will probably draw Serena in the 4th round and Sharapova is coming out of an injury, so we can always hope. :lol:

goldenlox
Jan 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Caro has so much to defend thru IW, even thru Brussels, that its almost impossible for her to not lose the #1 spot for a while.

But if she plays well and stays healthy, she will get back in the mix this fall.

backhandsmash
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Since they have already updated the WTA site, here we go:

As of January 16+23, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 628
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 121 141 181
K Clijsters 1 20 185 291 346 446
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 313
M Sharapova 1 17 112 225 282 372
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 391
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 167 328
V Azarenka 3 18 42 128 194
P Kvitova 2 14 17 38 52
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 68 172
S Stosur 4 18 94 137
F Schiavone 4 18 70 264

66th and 67th week at #1 thanks to a certain player. ;)

Stosur overtakes Schiavone on this list.

backhandsmash
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 628
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 121 141 181
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 313
M Sharapova 1 17 112 225 282 372
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 391
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 167 328
V Azarenka 3 18 42 128 194
P Kvitova 2 14 17 38 52
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 68 172
S Stosur 4 18 94 137
F Schiavone 4 18 70 264

Jorn
Jan 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Nu har Caro været MØJ MØJ heldig ikke at tabe Nummer 1, men nu er det forbi! ;)

Even I HOPE she stays at No. 1! :)

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Its almost impossible to stay #1 51 of 52 weeks every year.

Only 7 players were #1 for 100 weeks in their entire careers!
Navratilova, Evert, Seles, Graf, Henin, Hingis, SWilliams.
Thats the whole list.
Caroline is at 67 weeks now, but I expect her to lose the #1 spot for a while.
But if she can stay close she can get plenty of opportunities after IW

Jorn
Jan 15th, 2012, 09:58 PM
''MØJ'' means ''Much'' in western danish dialect... ;)

And it much possible one of 5 others take over the No. 1 after IW and possible after AUS Open... Its a injury scare at last tourny and we know she has not been at her best in last times (months) she have played against the other Top players...

QuietPlease
Jan 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I'd love to see Caroline win her first Slam this fortnight!
What better way to defend the #1 spot?

But the heat is on. If either one of Caroline, Petra, Maria and Vika wins the AO they'll be #1.

backhandsmash
Jan 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Big-change week in the WTA rankings:

As of January 30, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 629
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 122 142 182
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 314
M Sharapova 1 17 113 226 283 373
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 254
V Azarenka 1 1 19 43 129 195
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 392
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 168 329
P Kvitova 2 15 18 39 53
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 69 173
S Stosur 4 19 95 138
F Schiavone 4 18 70 265

No more weeks at #1 (or top 3 weeks for that matter) for Woz for now, as Azarenka deservedly grabs it by winning...well you know.

Clijsters drops out of the top 20, Ivanovic re-enters.

backhandsmash
Jan 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Hope I didn't mess this up for you, terjw.

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 629
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 122 142 182
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 314
M Sharapova 1 17 113 226 283 373
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 254
V Azarenka 1 1 19 43 129 195
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 392
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 168 329
P Kvitova 2 15 18 39 53
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
N Li 4 20 69 173
S Stosur 4 19 95 138
F Schiavone 4 18 70 265

backhandsmash
Feb 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
As of February 6, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 630
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 123 143 183
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 315
M Sharapova 1 17 114 227 284 374
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 255
V Azarenka 1 2 20 44 130 196
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 393
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 169 330
P Kvitova 2 16 19 40 54
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 20 96 139
N Li 4 20 70 174
F Schiavone 4 18 70 266

Stosur overtakes Li Na on this list.

Let's hope Woz at least starts to add top 3 weeks after Miami. But more realistically Madrid. ;)

backhandsmash
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 630
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 123 143 183
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 315
M Sharapova 1 17 114 227 284 374
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 255
V Azarenka 1 2 20 44 130 196
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 393
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 169 330
P Kvitova 2 16 19 40 54
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 20 96 139
N Li 4 20 70 174
F Schiavone 4 18 70 266

backhandsmash
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
As of February 13, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 631
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 124 144 184
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 316
M Sharapova 1 17 115 228 285 375
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 256
V Azarenka 1 3 21 45 131 197
S Kuznetsova 2 56 176 284 394
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 170 331
P Kvitova 2 17 20 41 55
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 21 97 140
N Li 4 20 71 175
F Schiavone 4 18 70 267

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 631
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 124 144 184
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 316
M Sharapova 1 17 115 228 285 375
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 256
V Azarenka 1 3 21 45 131 197
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 170 331
P Kvitova 2 17 20 41 55
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 21 97 140
N Li 4 20 71 175
F Schiavone 4 18 70 267

backhandsmash
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
As of February 20, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 632
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 125 145 185
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 317
M Sharapova 1 17 116 229 286 376
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 257
V Azarenka 1 4 22 46 132 198
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 171 332
P Kvitova 2 18 21 42 56
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 98 141
N Li 4 20 72 176
F Schiavone 4 18 70 268

Only thing of interest: Kuznetsova tumbles out of the top 20.

backhandsmash
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 632
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 125 145 185
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 317
M Sharapova 1 17 116 229 286 376
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 257
V Azarenka 1 4 22 46 132 198
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 171 332
P Kvitova 2 18 21 42 56
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 98 141
N Li 4 20 72 176
F Schiavone 4 18 70 268

backhandsmash
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
As of February 27, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 633
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 126 146 186
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 318
M Sharapova 1 17 117 230 287 377
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 258
V Azarenka 1 5 23 47 133 199
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 172 333
P Kvitova 2 19 22 43 57
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 99 142
N Li 4 20 73 177
F Schiavone 4 18 70 269

backhandsmash
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 633
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 126 146 186
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 318
M Sharapova 1 17 117 230 287 377
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 258
V Azarenka 1 5 23 47 133 199
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 172 333
P Kvitova 2 19 22 43 57
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 99 142
N Li 4 20 73 177
F Schiavone 4 18 70 269

backhandsmash
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
As of March 5, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 634
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 127 147 187
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 319
M Sharapova 1 17 118 231 288 378
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 259
V Azarenka 1 6 24 48 134 200
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 173 334
P Kvitova 2 20 23 44 58
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 100 143
N Li 4 20 74 178
F Schiavone 4 18 70 270

200th week for Vika in the top 20.

100th week in the top 10 for Stosur.

backhandsmash
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 634
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 127 147 187
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 319
M Sharapova 1 17 118 231 288 378
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 259
V Azarenka 1 6 24 48 134 200
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 173 334
P Kvitova 2 20 23 44 58
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 22 100 143
N Li 4 20 74 178
F Schiavone 4 18 70 270

backhandsmash
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
As of March 19, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 636
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 149 189
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 321
M Sharapova 1 17 120 233 290 380
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 261
V Azarenka 1 8 26 50 136 202
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 175 336
P Kvitova 2 22 25 46 60
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 23 102 145
N Li 4 20 76 180
F Schiavone 4 18 70 272

Added 2 top 20 weeks, 2 top 10 weeks and 1 top 5 week for Woz. Also only 1 top 5 week for Stosur. Hope that's correct. The rest get 2 weeks where applicable.

backhandsmash
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 516 636
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 149 189
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 321
M Sharapova 1 17 120 233 290 380
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 261
V Azarenka 1 8 26 50 136 202
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 175 336
P Kvitova 2 22 25 46 60
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 23 102 145
N Li 4 20 76 180
F Schiavone 4 18 70 272

backhandsmash
Mar 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Stats Corner: Most Time Spent In Top 10

"By virtue of her performance here, Serena is assured of returning to the Top 10 on the new rankings for the first time since May. And the only player she trails amongst active players for most weeks spent in the Top 10 is none other than Venus. Here is a list of the 10 active players atop that list:"

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20120327/stats-corner-most-time-spent-in-top-10_2256076_2697528

Player Weeks In Top 10 (Through End Of Miami)
Venus Williams 554
Serena Williams 516
Kim Clijsters 346
Maria Sharapova 291
Svetlana Kuznetsova 284
Jelena Jankovic 226
Vera Zvonareva 166
Nadia Petrova 156
Caroline Wozniacki 150
Kimiko Date-Krumm 149

Notes: Wozniacki is the only player on this list who once she broke into the Top 10, has never fallen out ... World No.1 Victoria Azarenka is spending her 137th career week in the Top 10.

-

Seems to fit pretty well with the list in this thread. Don't know what's going on with Vera's tally though. Maybe I messed it up somewhere. Or the original (that I shamelessly based this of) or the original, original thread got a bit too generous. Hmmmmm...

Protoss
Mar 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Why doesn't your chart on the previous pages contain Aga or Petko? :confused:

backhandsmash
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Why doesn't your chart on the previous pages contain Aga or Petko? :confused:

It's basically like this:

Alright. Now I think you have all active slam winners/top 3 players (+retired Henin and Mauresmo) :)

Plus the fact that I'm too lazy. :lol: Aga, please don't break top 3!!!

backhandsmash
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Azarenka & Huber continue No.1 reigns

Victoria Azarenka spends her 10th week at No.1 this week.
Though her win streak was snapped at 26 in Miami with a quarterfinal
loss to Marion Bartoli, Azarenka is still a clear cut No.1, with
over 1000 ranking points between her and No.2 Maria Sharapova.

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/apr2.pdf

As of April 2, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 517 638
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 151 191
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 323
M Sharapova 1 17 122 235 292 382
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 263
V Azarenka 1 10 28 52 138 204
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 177 338
P Kvitova 2 24 27 48 62
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 25 104 147
N Li 4 20 78 182
F Schiavone 4 18 70 274

Serena is back in the top 10! Added 1 top 10 week to her tally. The rest get 2 weeks added.

backhandsmash
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 517 638
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 151 191
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 323
M Sharapova 1 17 122 235 292 382
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 263
V Azarenka 1 10 28 52 138 204
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 177 338
P Kvitova 2 24 27 48 62
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 25 104 147
N Li 4 20 78 182
F Schiavone 4 18 70 274

backhandsmash
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
As of April 9, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 518 639
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 152 192
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 324
M Sharapova 1 17 123 236 293 383
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 264
V Azarenka 1 11 29 53 139 205
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 178 339
P Kvitova 2 25 28 49 63
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 26 105 148
N Li 4 20 79 183
F Schiavone 4 18 70 275

backhandsmash
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 518 639
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 152 192
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 324
M Sharapova 1 17 123 236 293 383
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 264
V Azarenka 1 11 29 53 139 205
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 178 339
P Kvitova 2 25 28 49 63
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 26 105 148
N Li 4 20 79 183
F Schiavone 4 18 70 275

backhandsmash
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Goddammit! I mucked it up last week and was about to again, this week. Please do tell if you spot anything wrong, cause my eyes and brain seem to be malfunctioning these days.

backhandsmash
Apr 19th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Azarenka & Huber continue No.1 reigns

Victoria Azarenka spends her 12th week at No.1 this week.
Azarenka passes seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams
on the all-time list and ties Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario and Ana
Ivanovic, who have four and one Grand Slam titles, respectively.

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/apr16.pdf

As of April 16, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 519 640
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 153 193
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 325
M Sharapova 1 17 124 237 294 384
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 265
V Azarenka 1 12 30 54 140 206
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 179 340
P Kvitova 2 26 29 50 64
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 27 106 149
N Li 4 20 80 184
F Schiavone 4 18 70 276

Azarenka overtakes Venus on this list.

backhandsmash
Apr 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 519 640
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 153 193
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 325
M Sharapova 1 17 124 237 294 384
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 265
V Azarenka 1 12 30 54 140 206
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 179 340
P Kvitova 2 26 29 50 64
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 27 106 149
N Li 4 20 80 184
F Schiavone 4 18 70 276

backhandsmash
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Raymond joins Huber at No.1

Victoria Azarenka spends her 13th straight week as the No.1
player in the world this week, four weeks away from three-time
Grand Slam champions Jennifer Capriati and Maria Sharapova.

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/apr23.pdf

As of April 23, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 520 641
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 154 194
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 326
M Sharapova 1 17 125 238 295 385
V Azarenka 1 13 31 55 141 207
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 266
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 180 341
P Kvitova 2 27 30 51 65
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 28 107 150
N Li 4 20 81 185
F Schiavone 4 18 70 277

Azarenka moves past Ivanovic on this list.

Jimmie48
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Realistically, I really don't see anybody getting to Vika this year so she'll very well get to 50+

Chrissie-fan
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Realistically, I really don't see anybody getting to Vika this year so she'll very well get to 50+
And Radwanska has a shot for the number two spot.

backhandsmash
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 520 641
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 154 194
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 326
M Sharapova 1 17 125 238 295 385
V Azarenka 1 13 31 55 141 207
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 266
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 180 341
P Kvitova 2 27 30 51 65
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 28 107 150
N Li 4 20 81 185
F Schiavone 4 18 70 277

backhandsmash
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
And Radwanska has a shot for the number two spot.

I don't know about #2, but #3 seems inevitable. Next 2 slams for Aga she only defends a R4 and R2. Plus she lost her 2nd match in Madrid and was knocked out with a bye in her 1st match in Rome..

backhandsmash
May 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
as of November 28, 2011

A Radwanska 8 97 198

This is gonna be a bit of work to update, but as she'll be #3 next monday (May 7, 2012), I have no choice. :lol:

backhandsmash
May 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
As of April 30, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 521 642
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 155 195
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 327
M Sharapova 1 17 126 239 296 386
V Azarenka 1 14 32 56 142 208
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 267
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 181 342
P Kvitova 2 28 31 52 66
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 29 108 151
N Li 4 20 82 186
F Schiavone 4 18 70 278

backhandsmash
May 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 521 642
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 155 195
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 327
M Sharapova 1 17 126 239 296 386
V Azarenka 1 14 32 56 142 208
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 267
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 181 342
P Kvitova 2 28 31 52 66
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 29 108 151
N Li 4 20 82 186
F Schiavone 4 18 70 278

angliru
May 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
This is gonna be a bit of work to update, but as she'll be #3 next monday (May 7, 2012), I have no choice. :lol:
Notice that KleineBiere has updated his thread in the stats forum. Might save you from a lot of work ;)

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=432901

backhandsmash
May 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Haha, I saw it, but somehow got away from it.

I might just update/steal Aga's numbers tonight then. :lol:

backhandsmash
May 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
nt

backhandsmash
May 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM
As of May 7, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 522 643
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 156 196
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 328
M Sharapova 1 17 127 240 297 387
V Azarenka 1 15 33 57 143 209
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 268
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 182 343
P Kvitova 2 28 32 53 67
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 1 11 120 221
S Stosur 4 30 109 152
N Li 4 20 83 187
F Schiavone 4 18 70 279

Huge thanks to KleineBiere for updating Aga so I didn't have to!!!!

EDIT:

S Williams 1 123 207 289 522 643
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 156 196
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 328
M Sharapova 1 17 127 240 297 387
V Azarenka 1 15 33 57 143 209
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 268
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 182 343
P Kvitova 2 28 32 53 67
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 1 11 120 221
S Stosur 4 30 109 152
N Li 4 20 83 187
F Schiavone 4 18 70 279

backhandsmash
May 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
As of May 14, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 289 523 644
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 157 197
J Jankovic 1 18 89 132 226 329
M Sharapova 1 17 128 241 298 388
V Azarenka 1 16 34 58 144 210
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 269
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 183 344
P Kvitova 2 28 33 54 68
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 2 12 121 222
S Stosur 4 31 110 153
N Li 4 20 84 188
F Schiavone 4 18 70 280

backhandsmash
May 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 289 523 644
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 157 197
M Sharapova 1 17 128 241 298 388
V Azarenka 1 16 34 58 144 210
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 269
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 183 344
P Kvitova 2 28 33 54 68
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 2 12 121 222
S Stosur 4 31 110 153
N Li 4 20 84 188
F Schiavone 4 18 70 280

backhandsmash
May 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
As of May 21, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 290 524 645
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 158 198
M Sharapova 1 17 132 242 299 389
V Azarenka 1 17 35 59 145 211
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 270
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 183 345
P Kvitova 2 28 34 55 69
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 3 13 122 223
S Stosur 4 31 111 154
N Li 4 20 85 189
F Schiavone 4 18 70 281

Serena re-enters Top 5, replacing Stosur.
Zvonareva out of the Top 10.
And JJ is out of the Top 20!

backhandsmash
May 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM

S Williams 1 123 207 290 524 645
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 158 198
M Sharapova 1 17 132 242 299 389
V Azarenka 1 17 35 59 145 211
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 270
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 183 345
P Kvitova 2 28 34 55 69
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
A Radwanska 3 3 13 122 223
S Stosur 4 31 111 154
N Li 4 20 85 189
F Schiavone 4 18 70 281

Steven.
May 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
hmmm how sure are you of Sharapova's weeks in the top 3? your top 1, top 5, top 10 and top 20 are consistent with mine just not the top 3

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Not super sure! What do you have her at?

Also, I'm not sure at all about the Top 5 weeks for the Williams sisters. WTA has Serena higher and Venus lower. And I think Sveta's might not be right, either. But it's what I had to work with. :)

KleineBiere
May 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
my mistake. 133 weeks should be correct.

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Is the rest of Sharapova's numbers correct?

Steven.
May 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
hmmm... in my Sharapova stats update thread here's what I have for Mash:

Weeks in Maria's career spent at (as of May 28, 2012)
Top 1: 17
Top 2: 90
Top 3: 138
Top 5: 243
Top 10: 300
Top 20: 390

but if both yourself and KleineBiere have her at 133 weeks in the top 3 as of this week I have no reason to believe otherwise. I wihs the WTA kept these kind of stats...

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
We all agree on 133 weeks then?

Can you link to your thread, please. :)

Steven.
May 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yep, I've edited my thread to 133 weeks.

and sure thing. it's nothing special though, just everything to do with Maria and only Maria. :p

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=453554

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Okay, I'll edit too.

And wow at the detail in that thread! It really is everything about Maria.

Steven.
May 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM
haha yeah it was a massive hassle to type it all up, but afterwards it takes like 1 min to update it weekly. and people really like that thread so maybe one for Caroline would be awesome too :)

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
You have 133 as of May 28th, so I'll just put mine at 132. :)

As for doing it for Wozzy, I don't think I'm the man for the job haha.

backhandsmash
May 27th, 2012, 12:23 PM
KleineBiere, sorry to bother you more, but is 133 as of May 21 or May 28?

Protoss
May 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
You have 133 as of May 28th, so I'll just put mine at 132. :)

As for doing it for Wozzy, I don't think I'm the man for the job haha.
We already have a thread giving a ranking breakdown for Caro. I update it every couple of months but if others want to update it more often they can do so.

I'm planning on updating it after the French Open.

backhandsmash
May 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
As of May 28 + June 4, 2012

S Williams 1 123 207 292 526 647
C Wozniacki 1 67 85 128 160 200
V Azarenka 1 19 37 61 147 213
M Sharapova 1 17 134 244 301 391
A Ivanovic 1 12 36 81 108 272
V Zvonareva 2 49 63 183 347
P Kvitova 2 28 36 57 71
A Radwanska 3 5 15 124 225
N Petrova 3 4 22 156 382
S Stosur 4 31 113 156
N Li 4 20 87 191
F Schiavone 4 18 70 283

Wozzy hits 200 weeks in the Top 20.

Azarenka overtakes Sharapova and Jankovic on this list.
Radwanska moves past Petrova.

And please let me know of any updating mistakes. :)

backhandsmash
May 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wozzy loses 440 points next update (RG R3+Copenhagen), so she actually needs a QF to increase her points tally.