PDA

View Full Version : Carl Maes: "Everything was there to fall in love with Kim" (um what??)

Brαm
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:29 AM
What a weird article in the news paper today! :eek:
I was shocked when I read the title ("Alles was aanwezig om verliefd te worden")!!

Carl Maes says that, because Kim & he spent so much time together, they could've easily fallen in love :eek: :o Everything was there: they were always together, they slept in the same room, no parents around etc.
But he swears "NOTHING EVER HAPPENED" between Kim & him. Phew! ;)

*relief*

duck
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
It's a strange remark. Does the article give the question he was asked? It doesn't sound like a spontaenous comment.

irma
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:49 AM
What paper was that? The Belgian story? :o

Peridotpixie
Oct 29th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Um....O-kayyyy.....
That is very, very weird. And I sort of doubt that they still slept in the same room by the time she was 17 or so, and making a move on a younger girl is just...gross. And isn't he married?????
I hope Lleyton doesn't read the article.

Bigkimfan
Oct 29th, 2002, 01:54 PM
I don't believe it!!! I sounds like that newspaper wanted some sensation...:(

:bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Oct 29th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Ok, I just looked up the article because it sounded a little weird to me. But it's not that bad. The newspaper spotlighted a sports-related movie, Perfect Body, that's on Belgian television tonight about the relationship between a gymnast and her coach becoming all too funky. So that's why they asked Carl Maes about the relationship between coach and athlete.

Maes says that there is a big difference between being the coach of a team that competes in a national league and coaching an inidivdual athlete who has to travel all over the world. In the latter case, the coach often is the person the athlete is closest to and trusts the most. So it make sense that you talk about more than sports. "During the last years, Kim spent more time with me than with her parents. When she was really young [the article mentions they started travelling together when kim was 12], I had to decide when it was time for bed or when she had to tidy up her hotel room. You work together, eat together, spend your free time together and together try to not let the monotony of it all get to you."

The journalist then mentions that that relationship has all the necessary ingredients to turn into a romantic one.

Maes' answer: "Absolutely, everything's there to fall in love. But I swear on my two children that nothing ever happened between Kim and I. Our professional relationship would never have lasted this long otherwise."

Sorry I didn't have time to translate the whole thing, but that's all he said about his relationshio with Kim. So if you look at the context of the interview and then the leading questions of the journalist, the quotes make sense. Seems a little weird to imagine Kim and Carl sharing a room, but then again, she was only 12 at the time. No way my parents would have let me stay in a room by myself at that age.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Bigkimfan
Oct 29th, 2002, 03:09 PM
phuw!!!!!!!!!!:D Thanks a lot!!!!:D

Come on Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Oct 29th, 2002, 03:56 PM
I would have slept with Carl... wow. Did I say that?! LOL! He's a gorgeous man!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Oct 29th, 2002, 03:59 PM
on a serious note...

btw, you can say what he said is not that bad, but it is though because he's older than her. And even if that's how he truly feels, that's an awkward, weird, sketchy comment because he's older than her and yeah, a lot of coaches and players fall in love, but she was so young in the first place when he started working with her. He's like her dad... sort of... almost... in a way

PhoenixStorm
Oct 29th, 2002, 03:59 PM
No way would my parents let me stay in some guys hotel room when i was 12!

Peridotpixie
Oct 29th, 2002, 04:29 PM
He wasn't some guy, he was her coach, and I'm sure he was like a parent to her.
I guess he was just saying, "Yeah, this situation could happen, it's feasible, though in this case it definitely didn't."
Thanks for clearing the article up, Tinne.

Hawk
Oct 29th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Ok..that's would be very icky :eek:

It seems to me like he words it oddly. Like saying he swears on his kids that nothing ever happened..It gives the impression that he's defending himself from an accusation :confused: Anyhoo i'm sure nothing ever happened.

Pinkie
Oct 29th, 2002, 04:57 PM
The thing is, you don't know how he said these things. If he suddenly got afraid that the journalist might be suggesting something that didn't happen, that would explain a defenisive tone. Or he might be totally joking when he mentioned his kids. From my experience, things can look very different in print than what was intended in the conversation. I really wouldn't read too much into this interview.

BTW: he didn't say everything was there between Kim and him to become a romantic relationship. He was talking about the coash-athlete relationship in general.

KaseyL
Oct 30th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Peridotpixie
He wasn't some guy, he was her coach, and I'm sure he was like a parent to her.
I guess he was just saying, "Yeah, this situation could happen, it's feasible, though in this case it definitely didn't."
Thanks for clearing the article up, Tinne.

I'm with you here. Carl sort of co-raised Kim during the years they were on tour. He was some kind of a surrogate parent, and acted as a friend when she talked about typical teen things like boy bands,... (this he said once during an interview in Flemish press).

The journalist was looking for sensation, and Carl must have realised one could read other things in it which weren't there.

And thanks a lot for your comments, Tinne.