PDA

View Full Version : The State of the WTA: It's in a crisis...weakest in 20 + years...

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I understand that the most important thing is about the tennis...but let's face it...it's also a very big business...it's a show and quite honestly, where the show? The most boring top ten in the last twenty+ years...a number one with no rival...did we forget the 2000 and 2001 US Open Semis? The big white turkey comment? The get this f'ing junior out of her and kicking poor defensless Alex's bag? The predatory lesbians? the shoulder check at the US Open that prompted the "big white turkey" comment? The anxiety and high drama when it's Hingis, Davenport and the sisters left the last three days at a slam? The stare downs...Capriati staring down Venus in the 2001 USO semi holding up Venus's serve...rooting for Chandra Rubin in the locker room with Mathew Perry and her mother because she did not want to face Venus.."I felt like I was playing a man"....the get endorsments because they are black...Even the board is boring as hell...Damn I miss a good Martian/Williams fight...Denise, Dawn Marie..:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Olórin
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
.rooting for Chandra Rubin in the locker room with Mathew Perry and her mother because she did not want to face Venus..

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I wish that this were true or verified in some way

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah... That was amazing tennis with Seles, Graf, Navratilova, Sabatini, Novotna... :sobbing: :awww: :tears:

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I wish that this were true or verified in some way
It's true..Venus was playing Rubin in the fourth(?) round and the NY Times ran a story and the TV commentators reported that Capriati was in the lounge wtih Mathew Perry and her Mother Denise rooting hard for Chandra...:help:

Olórin
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM
It's true..Venus was playing Rubin in the fourth(?) round and the NY Times ran a story and the TV commentators reported that Capriati was in the lounge wtih Mathew Perry and her Mother Denise rooting hard for Chandra...:help:

:spit:

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, I had no idea WTA was in a state of decline.

danieln1
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Couldnīt agree more...

now whatīs left for us??? Thank God there is youtube for the nostalgia...

But yes, late 90īs and early 00īs was the best period in women tennis, just the best, and today, itīs only a shadow of what it was

danieln1
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM

And Capriati even lost to Mauresmo in the QF!! :haha:

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I understand that the most important thing is about the tennis...but let's face it...it's also a very big business...it's a show and quite honestly, where the show? The most boring top ten in the last twenty+ years...a number one with no rival...did we forget the 2000 and 2001 US Open Semis? The big white turkey comment? The get this f'ing junior out of her and kicking poor defensless Alex's bag? The predatory lesbians? the shoulder check at the US Open that prompted the "big white turkey" comment? The anxiety and high drama when it's Hingis, Davenport and the sisters left the last three days at a slam? The stare downs...Capriati staring down Venus in the 2001 USO semi holding up Venus's serve...rooting for Chandra Rubin in the locker room with Mathew Perry and her mother because she did not want to face Venus.."I felt like I was playing a man"....the get endorsments because they are black...Even the board is boring as hell...Damn I miss a good Martian/Williams fight...Denise, Dawn Marie..:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

The way I remember it...Venus was ready to serve and Capriati was sort of walking around pissed holding up play and muttered with an attitude "I'm not ready" to Venus...then Vee started the staredown like "bitch please I'm not accepting your hissy fits like most would" Jen tried to hang with the stare down but Venus held it longer and won both the match and stare down:sad::lol:
Classic WTA

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:49 PM
The way I remember it...Venus was ready to serve and Capriati was sort of walking around pissed holding up play and muttered with an attitude "I'm not ready" to Venus...then Vee started the staredown like "bitch please I'm not accepting your hissy fits like most would" Jen tried to hang with the stare down but Venus held it longer and won both the match and stare down:sad::lol:
Classic WTA

MW-d5eljkbs
Classic WTA indeed :drool:

RenaSlam.
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:52 PM
2012 is soon. Don't worry.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Classic WTA
LOL...I remember Jonny Mack remarking that "Venus won the staredown"...Yes, classic!!!!!

QuietPlease
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I miss Hingis.

But I actually prefer late 80s early 90s.
Gaby the immaculate, Graf the queen, Navratilova the veteran, Sanchez the claycourter and then of course came Seles the evil enemy :lol:
Of course Seles was fantastic, I just didn't like her beating my faves all the time :lol:

The tour was never the same after she got stabbed. Damn that German idiot!

Belmont Lad
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thank goodness for youtube is all I can say. Entertaining matches and rivalries are few and far between these days. :(

pav
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Oh no! another "So much better when we had them good ol square automobiles with attached crank handles than these smooth modern shit things with electric starter buttons"

vixter
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Nostalgia can be nice, but times are always changing... Gotta appreciate the now for what it is.

fawnrc
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:44 AM
That stare down was hilarious.Jen was like "what bit**" V was like "Bit** don't play". LOL

Nicolás89
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Why did I think this was about tennis? :facepalm:

Sgt.Timmykinz
Apr 12th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Wasn't there a similar problem before and then loads of parents made thier kids watch Bambi, a whole generation of children were emotionally damaged, and became hippies and took drugs in the 1960s?

Henpova
Apr 12th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Oh no! another "So much better when we had them good ol square automobiles with attached crank handles than these smooth modern shit things with electric starter buttons"

:lol::lol::lol::bounce::bounce::bounce: This!

Le Tenisse
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
As smaller the Tour gets in venues, tournies, circuits, amount of countries represented, sponsors, etc, etc, it becomes less interesting. Not a shock that the quality of the game comes next :shrug:.

Le Tenisse
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:57 AM

Not completely agree, but still :lol:

Sp!ffy
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:42 AM
It's a shame because the tour has the potential to be really great.
zlo_lsFfjMA

shoparound
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM
It's a shame because the tour has the potential to be really great.
zlo_lsFfjMA

Oh if only the WTA had a reality show... oh wait..

Albireo
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Wasn't there a similar problem before and then loads of parents made thier kids watch Bambi, a whole generation of children were emotionally damaged, and became hippies and took drugs in the 1960s?

Those were good times, man.

erschloy214
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I miss Capriati sooooooooooooooo much!!!!

Serenita
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
MW-d5eljkbs
:hearts: those where the days.

Super Dave
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM
1F9vRVyV914

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
MW-d5eljkbs

:worship:

Bonfire
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I miss Capriati sooooooooooooooo much!!!!

THIS!:sad:

theFutureisNow
Apr 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
The predatory lesbians?

Anyone have any good examples?

Let's see how quickly we can get this thread locked.

The Witch-king
Apr 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
whatever happened to Dawn Marie?

Kworb
Apr 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
It really is in a huge huge crisis. No one cares anymore about women's tennis. We need much better players with bigger personalities.

Talula
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I understand that the most important thing is about the tennis...but let's face it...it's also a very big business...it's a show and quite honestly, where the show? ::sad::sad::sad:

I've said this myself. The tour is theatre, entertainment. And it's poor now, and that is bad for the sport. The mens is much more entertaining right now, it has taken over from the WTA even in the personalities stakes. The reasons for the WTA decline are obvious, but what anyone can do is beyond me!

The old prayer about asking God to allow us to change what we can and accept what we can't is very apt! I guess until it picks up it's stick with it or ?.......

poulao
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:20 PM
To Me, this is a total whining tread. Please get over youre self and get to know some of the young ladies, which there are plentiful of. :lol:

Talula
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Nostalgia can be nice, but times are always changing... Gotta appreciate the now for what it is.

That is also true. For me it's like it or lump it! But I don't think it's JUST nostalgia, I do believe there is decline. But I'm still going to Roland Garros, Eastbourne and got lucky in the Wimbly lottery. So I suppose I'm a tad hypocritical. In my defense I now actually prefer many of doubles and mixed doubles matches which I think are sorely underrated as the variety of shots and games takes me back to 'the good old days', and the dramas of the mens top 10 reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s WTA.

Talula
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM
To Me, this is a total whining tread. Please get over youre self and get to know some of the young ladies, which there are plentiful of. :lol:

The point is none, other than the Williams, Kim to a lesser degree, are household names. Not even Caroline. And that is bad for the WTA as I can recall when there were NUMEROUS household names on the tour. And I mean people like my father and non-tennis fanatic friends knowing who players were. I can't recall the last time the WTA got any press in the UK apart from minuscule print of some results. Yet non-fanatic tennis fans I know are aware of quite a few of the men now.

theFutureisNow
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
The point is none, other than the Williams, Kim to a lesser degree, are household names. Not even Caroline. And that is bad for the WTA as I can recall when there were NUMEROUS household names on the tour. And I mean people like my father and non-tennis fanatic friends knowing who players were. I can't recall the last time the WTA got any press in the UK apart from minuscule print of some results. Yet non-fanatic tennis fans I know are aware of quite a few of the men now.

Using this standard then Sharapova is pretty much the only hope for the WTA.

Funny though- I would guess that very few of the people complaining about the state of the WTA are Sharapova fans.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
They don't make them like they used to, that's for damned sure.

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
The point is none, other than the Williams, Kim to a lesser degree, are household names. Not even Caroline. ...Caroline has about 10 nontennis sponsors. There's Maria, Ana, Jelena. Mirza is a big star in India. Li just got endorsement deals in China.

I think the tour's doing fine. The Kournikova years are over. If you dont like it as much, okay, its your opinion.

madmax
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Using this standard then Sharapova is pretty much the only hope for the WTA.

Funny though- I would guess that very few of the people complaining about the state of the WTA are Sharapova fans.

whether you like to admit it or not, Sharapova is still much bigger star than any of Pushniacki's, Azarenka's and other bland nobodies. She puts bums into seats and is a crowd magnet anywhere she goes. The better Sharapova does results wise, the better it is for WTA tour and it's popularity.

new-york
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:30 PM
We have been so lucky. That's how i try to see it now.

:hysteric:

jenny161185
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:40 PM
even though im in marketing and PR, I think some of the girls are a bit too groomed and don't want to say anything too offend others. Don't get me wrong I know some of the girls say quite funny and catty things but we need more of this, just even to create more of a rivalry! I loved Capriati and I like the Williams , Always thought it was great when they played, they respected each others tennis but were'nt friends ha!

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
whether you like to admit it or not, Sharapova is still much bigger star than any of Pushniacki's, Azarenka's and other bland nobodies. She puts bums into seats and is a crowd magnet anywhere she goes. The better Sharapova does results wise, the better it is for WTA tour and it's popularity.

Must spread rep :rolleyes:

But IMO, it's not even all about the tennis - as much as I'd love that standard to improve as well... One of the biggest things that bugs me is that the starpower in today's game is downright abysmal. Back in the days, you had strong and contrasting personalities on tour, made even better when they clashed(Hingis or to a lesser extent JCap with the WS, or Hingis with Graf after her "old and slow" comments for example.) They created rivalries, so even if both players weren't at their best/playing GOAT matches, they would still fill all of the seats. Right now most of the girls on tour have English as their tenth language, and really have nothing more to say pre/post-match than "My opponent play well. I try to do better next time :)" which would be fine I suppose, if they had the games to compensate.

Outside of Serena, Venus, Maria and Kim, the playstyles, personalities, and even looks are too similar. As much as I hate to say it, no one outside of the tennis "world" knows or cares about Wozniacki, Azarenka, Radwanska, or any of the countless Chokerovas. Compare that to when Serena, Venus, Martina, Justine, Kim, Amelie, Jennifer, Lindsay, Mary, Monica, and soon Maria were on tour, all vastly different and with equally large games and appeal.

My ideas were so scattered there, but for a dose of optimism, I can't help but think that maybe this slump is good for the future of women's tennis. Hopefully there are some young ladies developing their games, who might someday help women's tennis out of it's slump.

Matt01
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM

Yeah, because her game is so beautiful. :oh:

madmax
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Yeah, because her game is so beautiful. :oh:

you really feel surprised that people like watching all-out attacking tennis? Are we watching the same sport or what now...and I would love to hear your definition of "beautiful" game then. Just don't tell me that Pushniacki has one, will ya:lol:

Matt01
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM
you really feel surprised that people like watching all-out attacking tennis?

No, not at all since my favorite player is Navratilova.

AcesHigh
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:32 AM
It really is in a huge huge crisis. No one cares anymore about women's tennis. We need much better players with bigger personalities.

how different is it from 3, 4, 5 years ago. Not that different.

People have been saying the same thing since... well since forever. I remember in 2002 people clamoring about how terrible a state the game was in. Then again in 2004... then again in 2006... 2007... 2008...2009...2010..2011

And I'm sure the years after Seles was stabbed, people were saying similar things.

Matt01
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:38 AM

People have been saying the same thing since... well since forever. I remember in 2002 people clamoring about how terrible a state the game was in. Then again in 2004... then again in 2006... 2007... 2008...2009...2010..2011

And I'm sure the years after Seles was stabbed, people were saying similar things.

Yes, they were.
Good post by the way.

Le Tenisse
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Itīs not the same, itīs getting worst. And, i donīt know about you guys, but itīs like tennis fans are feeling invisible. Always with the same discourse about poor prize money, lack of challengers and futures, less players from countries that used to had some presence on the Tour, the two very distant world of the ATP and the WTA, the awfulness of the game, the moonballing, the goating-chocking, the pushing, the secrecy of entire entry lists, this and that. And the worst thing of all is that new tennis fans simply discover the game with this reality. If this is the horizon and everyone feels that their opinion isnīt taken seriously, itīs not shocking to just think why even follow a sport that doesnīt give you what yo want? following a sport just to be bored and gettting worried about?.

goldenlox
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
If you dont like the WTA, then follow something else.
IW set a new attendance record this year, and Caro got a check for $700,000.
Miami didnt draw as much as IW, but set a new Miami attendance record. And Vika got a check for $700,000.

This 'it sucks now' stuff is all opinion from people who rooted for players who arent around now.

You compare attendance and prizemoney, now and 10 years ago, and now wins.

Le Tenisse
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
If you dont like the WTA, then follow something else.
IW set a new attendance record this year, and Caro got a check for $700,000.
Miami didnt draw as much as IW, but set a new Miami attendance record. And Vika got a check for $700,000.

This 'it sucks now' stuff is all opinion from people who rooted for players who arent around now.

You compare attendance and prizemoney, now and 10 years ago, and now wins.

Sorry, but i disagree. I donīt think the issue here is about big tournaments. Sure, on Premiers the prize money and attendance have become so much better than a decade before. But the rest of the Tour is the one that shows how little international has become. I think the question is if Internationals and a challenger Tour could encourage tennis fans to follow womenīs tennis. Again, when you see the lack of it, and compare it, with the men, thereīs an abyss between the prize money of ATP250/500 and this WTA events. I remember back in 2000, the Tier 3,4 and 5 were around $107,500. Now it doesnīt go beyond $220K. And most of the ITFs are always on 25k. Donīt see any confidence of increasing investment on the lower level tennis, not as on men. And i think when that happens, only to rely on the elite part of the Tour, creates an emptyness in the rest that doesnīt bring new exciting players as before.