PDA

View Full Version : Caro-Vika the Rivalry of the Second Decade

tkutsaar
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:15 AM
First of all to state some obvious known facts:
• In the past five weeks we have had four tournaments; two won by Caro and two won by Vika;
• Caro is ranked 1st and Vika ranked 5th ;
• They are 20 and 21 years of age respectively;
• Caro has won 15 WTA titles-Vika 7;
• During this time period they both have decisively beaten Maria Sharapova who at 24 years of age is the next youngest in the top 10 to our pair.
• Even should the WS return there is no question they are in the twilight of their careers. Kim Clijsters also seems ready to turn in her racquet after this year.

So it seems safe to predict that for the balance of this decade Caro and Vika will be the dominant forces in women’s tennis. It is a safe bet that each of them will have slams titles (i.e. slams plural) in this decade considering what their competition will be like in just two years.

I like to speculate that the two of them will have a rivalry that will be as strong or at least as attractive as say the Navratilova-Evert rivalry. By that I certainly am not suggesting they will come anywhere close to matching the career records of those two legendary greats. What I am saying is that in the coming next nine years or so there will be a duel between them and they will be the constantly co favorites in tournaments including the slams. I also believe the head to head will be close between these two. Right now it is 4-2 in Caro’s favor but the last meeting was an injury withdrawal by Vika.

I think this rivalry will make the WTA most exciting to watch. There will be no need to save the WTA- that is whatever the WTA needs to be saved from as claimed by some posters of this forum.

cellophane
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:16 AM
:facepalm:

snoodtastic
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I think this would be an interesting rivalry, and can see it happening provided of course that they stay healthy. Also add to the mix that they are BFFs off the court, at the moment anyway.

tkutsaar
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:19 AM
:facepalm:

Oh dear obviously one of those posters who feels the WTA needs to be saved.

tsmile789
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:25 AM
hmmm...i actually see this coming true...but rite now...caro is on top of the world...but hasn't won over serena and kim yet...whereas vika has done already

Macomere
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:30 AM
http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/files/2011/02/orly.gif

Smitten
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Not really a rivalry. Karolina will continue to beat Azarenka.

Macomere
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:40 AM
http://www.wiz-urd.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/orly2nm.gifNot really a rivalry. Karolina will continue to beat Azarenka.

Roookie
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM
It will became a real rivalry when they start playing in the later stages of the slams :shrug:

Jajaloo
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM
What rivalry? Caro wins all the matches.

Spring Pools
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I think this would be an interesting rivalry, and can see it happening provided of course that they stay healthy. Also add to the mix that they are BFFs off the court, at the moment anyway.

Would they ever play doubles together? Or will Vika/Kirilenko continue

SwingVolley93
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Just wait for Aga to hit her peak, won't know what hit ya:hehehe:

snoodtastic
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM

No clue, but that would be fun to see as well. Vikaro? Doesn't have as nice a ring as Ivanorazzi, but I'd still like to see it.

tkutsaar
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Apparently Caro & Vika have played as doubles partners and won an event. It was in 2009 at Memphis. In the singles matches of that tournament Caro was seeded 1st-Vika 2nd and they met in the singles final in which Vika prevailed for her 2nd WTA title. And then after the singles match they won the doubles title.

Shadowcat
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Caro and Vika should definitely play together as doubles again. They would be unstoppable.

Sp!ffy
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Caro and Vika should definitely play together as doubles again. They would be unstoppable.

Have you heard of the Williams sisters, bitch?

pav
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Threadstarter saying it is safe to predictsomething in tennis, that would be the day!

KBlade
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM

No, we wouldn't. She can't hit hard. :lol:

PMBH
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I think this rivalry will make the WTA most exciting to watch. There will be no need to save the WTA- that is whatever the WTA needs to be saved from as claimed by some posters of this forum.

You're forgetting Kvitova. I've previously predicted that Petra will be Caro's toughest opponent in the future but I agree that Vika is equally worthy of that status.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Oh yeah, totally they are the new Chris and Martina :spit:

eDonkey
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM
It will became a real rivalry when they start playing in the later stages of the slams :shrug:

Edit:When they first start reaching them. :haha:

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hmmm....I don't know. In potential it should be, but not sold yet on Vika. She had way too much trouble closing out a Masha playing badly.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Vika is not good or consistent enough to become Caro's real rival :shrug:

Also, this rivalry is not very appealing personality-wise either, TBH.

MaBaker
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, totally they are the new Chris and Martina :spit:
Nonsense. Wozniacki and Kvitova are the new Chris and Martina.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Nonsense. Wozniacki and Kvitova are the new Chris and Martina.

Forgive me, God :oh: I have sinned. :sobbing:

The Dawntreader
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I hope to god it won't be. Tokyo 2010 SF one probably one of the worst matches between 'top' players i saw last year.

nevetssllim
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM

No they wouldn't. Vika is good but Caro is an average doubles player.

Miracle Worker
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/jt5hck.gif

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
What Rivalry?. Caro wins all the matches :shrug::lol:

Olórin
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:27 AM
This is just getting so embarrassing. Even the Caro fans seem to be getting desperate for something interesting to happen.

Frederik
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM
No they wouldn't. Vika is good but Caro is an average doubles player.

I agree.

Caro is just not good enough at the net to be considered a good doubles player, let alone a great player who would dominate the doubles...

QuietPlease
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've been expecting this rivalry for a couple of years now. It hasn't really happened yet, but should be coming. Both should be capable of reaching Grand Slam finals. Especially with the big 4 off duty...

Corswandt
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM
This is just getting so embarrassing. Even the Caro fans seem to be getting desperate for something interesting to happen.

*sighs*

Assuming this would be interesting. Which it wouldn't.

If people complained so much about the awfulness of the JJ vs Wozniacka match the other day, this matchup would be 9872354923753245 times worse. It goes without saying (even though the "ballbashing Azarenka" myth is remarkably persistent) that Snickers simply can't generate the kind of pace required to hit through Wozniacka. And Wozniacka is much more consistent and resilient than Snickers, so a battle of attrition can have only one outcome. Snickers' only chance of a win would be on grass.

CWTennis
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM
BFF Rivalry :worship:

Q. The last three players you played in the tournament, Clijsters, Zvonareva, and Sharapova, they made a lot of mistakes playing with you. Do you think it's just a coincidence, or it's your game that makes them play not too well?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's the game that you make. Because for example, when I lose to somebody and I make mistakes, people don't say, Oh, she didn't play well. They say, for example, Clijsters or Zvonareva really beat her. So I think it's in the other way. Sometimes players make more mistakes, but also you can take it in the way your opponent makes you to miss.
For example, you can see so much with Caroline's game. She makes players miss, and not because they're playing bad.
Q. Have you heard from Caroline yet?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I heard from her yesterday. She wished me good luck. I don't know if she's here. I would love to know if she's hear. We can go celebrate maybe.
Q. With Caroline Wozniacki, did you learn something from her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think you can learn a lot from her, how she is on the court. She is such a good fighter. She really plays every ball, no matter what. You can see how much if she's not feeling great she can turn the matches around.
I think everybody, you know, can look up, especially kids, to really look up how well she does that.
Q. When are you going to play doubles with Caroline?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Doubles? Well, she doesn't want to play doubles. She's all about singles.
Q. You won in Memphis.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, we did. I don't know, but I would love to play with her one day. I'm playing with Maria Kirilenko right now. She's a fun girl. She's a great friend of mine. We have some great results.
We'll see with Caroline. One day for sure.

Q. Victoria Azarenka in Miami in her final press conference she said some nice things about you, that you were a good fighter, that you play every ball and that you can turn a match around, and she thought those were admirable things and kids should kind of look up to you as a role model. What do you have to say about her game and have you learned things from her game?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, first of all, I have to say that if I'm not the one winning the tournament, then I'm happy that she was the one, and she's a great friend of mine and we had very good tournaments, Indian Wells and Miami. I won Indian Wells; she won Miami. And you know, we had breakfast together the day after she won because we were both leaving the next day, so we were like, okay, we need to catch up. And she's a great player. She's a fighter. She's a perfectionist as well. If something doesn't go her way, she will just keep going until it will turn out for her. And you know, she's a girl that just keeps her focus. She knows what she has to do out there on court and she just does it. It's not a girl that you can beat down mentally because she -- you know, she goes out there, she plays very aggressively and she will keep that until the end because she knows that's what gives her the results. And you know, I admire her for the personality she has as well. I mean not only on the court, but off the court she's such a sweet girl, always takes care of her fans. And you know, we were sitting and having breakfast, you know, back to the breakfast, and you know, there were people coming up quite a bit, both for me and for her. And she will always say, yeah, sure, you can take a picture and no problem signing an autograph, even though, you know, we are sitting eating breakfast.
So you know, I think that's great to have girls likethat on Tour.

Sammo
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Well this is pretty depressing

miffedmax
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
If it is, I will be even more insufferable than I was during my "Peak Bangs Phase."

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM
*sighs*

If people complained so much about the awfulness of the JJ vs Wozniacka match the other day, this matchup would be 9872354923753245 times worse. It goes without saying (even though the "ballbashing Azarenka" myth is remarkably persistent) that Snickers simply can't generate the kind of pace required to hit through Wozniacka. And Wozniacka is much more consistent and resilient than Snickers, so a battle of attrition can have only one outcome. Snickers' only chance of a win would be on grass.

Uhm... hitting though Carolito !!? Federenka doesn't need enormous power to destroy the pusher... with the reasonnable amount of power she has and her brilliant ball stricking she needs consistency in moving her shots around the court more intelligently and as per magic the pusher willn't be able to do shit... Vika isn't a shotmaker who's afraid of entering into 5+ exchanges with her opponents and certainly by so she has the abilities, patience and power to punish as simply as it has been given to a talent of her class to do so.

Zvo is consisered as Vika's nemesis in there last match she has shown her ability to do so and prevailed in ease... now the most sensitive point is the head fortitude... Vika is a fighter, a warrior... who's not afraid to go and battle but nerves can make her less performant when she has to stab the ennemy on the battlefield... there's the apprehension but she's progressing... and the killer instincts are only just getting further sharpened for the near future.

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM

LOL no. Vika would have to carry that team constantly, Caro is a subpar doubles player.

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM
*sighs*

For some reason I think she has a bigger chance on clay than on HC too.
That said, Vika can't get over the fact that Wozniacki is her BFF and always holds back against her, in Tokyo last year she played without any sort of intensity or variety (no dropshots or angles at all, which are two things Vika needs and is capable of producing to beat Caro) hence why it was such a bunk match.

pav
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
BFF Rivalry :worship:
Q. The last three players you played in the tournament, Clijsters, Zvonareva, and Sharapova, they made a lot of mistakes playing with you. Do you think it's just a coincidence, or it's your game that makes them play not too well?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's the game that you make. Because for example, when I lose to somebody and I make mistakes, people don't say, Oh, she didn't play well. They say, for example, Clijsters or Zvonareva really beat her. So I think it's in the other way. Sometimes players make more mistakes, but also you can take it in the way your opponent makes you to miss
Have to chuckle at Vika for this one,even though she is correct to some extent, but after going out to C.B. i think at Indian Wells a couple of years ago, she said she lost because she played at about Two percent :)

Stevecw
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Hope they do team up together. Kills me to see my fave player with my most hated in every doubles. Caro/Vika shud be doubles partners I agree!! :)

Keegan
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM

A horrifically slow moving ball? The head of a tennis racquet perhaps? :confused:

Le Tenisse
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Nice they´re friends.

goldlion
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Wait til they play each other more often.

Vika always has health issues - if not sorted out, she's hardly a contender like Caroline.

Heat, shocking collapse, minor injuries etc kept her from the best

SwingVolley93
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:51 AM
A horrifically slow moving ball? The head of a tennis racquet perhaps? :confused:

:ras: