PDA

View Full Version : Caro After Charletson: I Can Win A Grand Slam

NA-GOAT
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AsrYoB96sP9WBUtzh77UFa84v7YF?slug=ap-charleston

“I feel confident and I know I can win a (Grand) Slam” tournament, Wozniacki said. :hearts:

Vesnina had beaten four seeded opponents to reach the title game. But she sounded like all of Wozniacki’s opponents this week as she marveled at the Dane’s play. Wozniacki, Vesnina says, balances pace and brains to come out on top.

“It’s not like she was like Serena :spit: , you know, powerful play,” Vesnina said.

“Caroline, she’s using pace. She’s using the whole court and she’s playing smart tennis.”

The kind that earns someone their first Grand Slam?

Wozniacki’s not counting on anything yet.

“It’s all about getting everything together,” she said. “The draw has to fit, I have to play well for two weeks, things like that all have to work together.”

edificio
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I think she can too. We know who is her competition at the moment. But I'd really like to see what Franny can do at RG; there may be too much pressure on her. Then I also see Sveta being able to do something (I hope something good). Stosur, I don't know when she is going to get her game back. There could be a surprise winner. On the men's side, RG used to be known for surprising champions, new champions. No longer, though.

Sp!ffy
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Show us with results, not words..

Sammo
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM

+1000000

Pump-it-UP
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Is Vesnina implying that all there is to Serena is power? :confused: :o

brickhousesupporter
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
In other totally unrelated news, just before the press conference, Caro heard of Kim's unfortunate accident while doing the electric slide.

backhandsmash
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
"She showed that in capturing her third tournament of the season. She lost only one set in her five matches, in the quarterfinals to Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, and took out former No. 1 Jelena Jankovic in straight sets to reach the finals here for the second time in five years."

Eh?

Brooks.
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Win the French Open, Caro!!!!!

GoofyDuck
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
“The draw has to fit, I have to play well for two weeks, things like that all have to work together.”

Just nobody that can outhit her.

Srodgers
Hasnt she been saying this for over a year :scratch:
Not exactly thread worthy.

AcesHigh
of course she CAN. Will she? probably at some point.

Linguae^
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Jelena will revenge against you there, don't even hope, my dear :o

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I bet I can win one too one day :angel:.

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I bet I can win one too one day :angel:.

You'll need to stop posting 20 posts a day on TF first...

Mary Cherry.
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Even if she does win a slam (which is likely) people will still find something to complain about.

Roookie
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Vesnina calling Serena a brainless ballbasher? :happy:

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Of course she can.

Agnieszka Radwanska can too.
Dominika Cibulkova can too.
Bojana Jovanovski can too.

1000 players who are in ranking can win Slam.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
You'll need to stop posting 20 posts a day on TF first...

What do you suggest, PUSHING?? No thank you, I'd rather stick to the posting thing :wavey:

Ralph214
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Actions speak louder than words ... ;)

Aramitz_II
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM
"She showed that in capturing her third tournament of the season. She lost only one set in her five matches, in the quarterfinals to Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, and took out former No. 1 Jelena Jankovic in straight sets to reach the finals here for the second time in five years."

Eh?

That error is to find in a lot of places. It just show how lacy journalist are to check there sources, they made cut and paste journalism.

edificio
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Of course she can.

No.

I love Agnieszka, but I cannot see that happening, nor for Dominika. Bojana, so far I can't see it. I get your point, though.

Kairi
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
this is green clay....since when is RG played on a fast clay court, a la Charleston?

FormerlyKnownAs
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:16 PM
What do you suggest, PUSHING?? No thank you, I'd rather stick to the posting thing :wavey:

Well there is armchair wheelchair tennis for the handicapt yuo can try, there it is against the rules to be pushed.

FormerlyKnownAs
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM
That error is to find in a lot of places. It just show how lacy journalist are to check there sources, they made cut and paste journalism.

Are there both men and women "lacy" journalists??

JN
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Though it pains me to say: THIS!

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Well there is armchair wheelchair tennis for the handicapt yuo can try, there it is against the rules to be pushed.

You seem to be pretty familiar with the rules there mate :).

goldenlox
I think plenty of people in the sport think Wozniacki can win majors.
But next is Stuttgart. No reason to even waste time with this until its the week before the FO.

Stamp Paid
I hope she doesnt end up like Jankovic and Safina
I actually want her to win a Slam

JN
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM

She's saying it, not implying it.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
“It’s not like she was like Serena :spit: , you know, powerful play,” Vesnina said.

“Caroline, she’s using pace. She’s using the whole court and she’s playing smart tennis.”

http://i51.tinypic.com/bi16c2.jpg

I knew there was a reason I wasn't cheering for her to win. Adding this wench to the Hit List.

AkademiQ
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Vesnina calling Serena a brainless ballbasher? :happy:

You don't win 13 slams and countless other titles if you're only power. People underestimate and show a lack of respect towards Serena for their own reasons. To some she's just an athlete, powerful with muscles, yet she beats all in front of her including these geniuses who can't find some smart way to beat her. Vesnina and those who think like her is showing she's the brainless one and I say that in the nicest possible way because she probably doesn't even realize it.

It's great that other players big up Caroline or whatever flavor of the month but what do the Vensninas, Bartolis see in themselves? Nothing it seems. So long live Caroline until those who have proven themselves come back and someone new legitimately steps up.

Vikapower
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
:yawn: You're annoying people with your statements... wasn't even abled to win Miami so watch the real talents win the biggies while you whore up the MMs for the next 7yrs.

Sp!ffy
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Shes only praising Caro to make her loss look better, dont worry. :)

Paldias
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :lol: :o Dying here...

Havok
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:38 PM
It bothers the hell out of me that she almost always mentions the fact that the right draw has to fall in place for her to win a Grand Slam. Sorry but that shouldn't be coming out of the mouth of the current world #1 player! I completely agree with her that YES to win a Slam everything must fall into place, however the draw isn't one of them. It shouldn't matter who your opponent is across the net for the 7 matches you need to win in order to claim a Grand Slam victory!

égalité
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/bi16c2.jpg

I knew there was a reason I wasn't cheering for her to win. Adding this wench to the Hit List.

What is happening in this GIF? :hysteric:

wildemu
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:49 PM
it seems like a jinx for her. Every time she claims it, she doesn't make it.

Just stay quiet and win that first one.

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM

:weirdo:

LOLz at posters going postal over Vesnina "insulting" Serena by stating that Wozniacka doesn't win with power unlike Serena (I'm sure Vesnina knows given that she was blown off the court in their US Open match in 2008)... :rolleyes:

Vartan
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I would take Vesnina's remark about Serena as a compliment.

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM
It bothers the hell out of me that she almost always mentions the fact that the right draw has to fall in place for her to win a Grand Slam. Sorry but that shouldn't be coming out of the mouth of the current world #1 player! I completely agree with her that YES to win a Slam everything must fall into place, however the draw isn't one of them. It shouldn't matter who your opponent is across the net for the 7 matches you need to win in order to claim a Grand Slam victory!

Understandable.. but I think Woz is being both realistic and diplomatic.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
What is happening in this GIF? :hysteric:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/7625213/Naomi-Campbell-punches-TV-camera-after-blood-diamond-accusation.html

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM
And the sky is also green (unless the other top players are in form at the Slams) :kiss:

Noctis
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM
ok :oh:

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Yes Caro, we know.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM
:yawn: You're annoying people with your statements... wasn't even abled to win Miami so watch the real talents win the biggies while you whore up the MMs for the next 7yrs.

Real talents like "Maria Sharapova Julia Görges Victoria Azarenka Sabine Lisicki Sorana Cirstea Nastya Pavlyuchenkova". Of these players only Pova has won Slams and that's ages ago. :rolls:

And since when are IW or Dubai MMs? :weirdo:

zhengjieforever
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:43 AM
i didn't really want caro to win a slam before now, but now i truly do. she's such a tactician on court, able to read her opponent like an open book, and is really starting to not push all the time. she also seems like a sweet-hearted girl. i can support a player like this. :worship:

vesnina, if only you didn't beat shushu i would like you so much :o

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Real talents like "Maria Sharapova Julia Görges Victoria Azarenka Sabine Lisicki Sorana Cirstea Nastya Pavlyuchenkova". Of these players only Pova has won Slams and that's ages ago. :rolls:

What makes you think "real talents" refered to players in my sig !!? Kimmie isn't and in between other players I thaught about her... remember US Open, YEC and AO... :bigwave: Furthermore winning (big) titles doesn't forcefully make you a great talent... let's have a look at Nicole... didn't win great events but we would all come to agree Nicole >>> Caro tennis/talent wise...

We've talked about that many times... IW might be called a Mandatory but it doesn't have the field, neither does it have the history as other great events for it's status to be considered prestigious thus the overused MM tag... as for Dubaď the only prestige of this event is the Petro$$$$... MM or not !!? I leave you the choice.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:14 AM
What makes you think "real talents" refered to players in my sig !!? Kimmie isn't and in between other players I thaught about her... remember US Open, YEC and AO... :bigwave: Furthermore winning (big) titles doesn't forcefully make you a great talent... let's have a look at Nicole... didn't win great events but we would all come to agree Nicole >>> Caro tennis/talent wise...

Err...no, we wouldn't.

We've talked about that many times... IW might be called a Mandatory but it doesn't have the field, neither does it have the history as other great events for it's status to be considered prestigious thus the overused MM tag... as for Dubaď the only prestige of this event is the Petro$$$$... MM or not !!? I leave you the choice.

Er...no. And this isn't even debatable.

Keegan
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Can't stand her like, but I do want her to win a slam simply because she's more than what Jankovic and Safina were. She has something special about her. She's young, she'll win one eventually. Just don't play so much.

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Err...no, we wouldn't.

Er...no. And this isn't even debatable.

So you consider Nicole to be very less talented than Caro !!? You're a thourough ATP follower from my knowledge and I could name a bunch of guys like Gulbis, Berdych... who are far more better skilled than Nads yet he has 9 majors... so winning (big) titles indeed doesn't forcefully make you a great talent...

BepaMaria
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Well I'm already used to seeing her being so full of herself so all that I can say is that her pride and confidence will be her downfall and she will never win a slam.

Jane Lane
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:25 AM
She's been saying this since she got to #1....just saying.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:26 AM
So you consider Nicole to be very less talented than Caro !!? You're a thourough ATP follower from my knowledge and I could name a bunch of guys like Gulbis, Berdych... who are far more better skilled than Nads yet he has 9 majors... so winning (big) titles indeed doesn't forcefully make you a great talent...

No necessarily, but I'd say Caro has some advantages over Nicole talentwise and gamewise if we include things like mentality, tactics, moevement etc...

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM

You need help ASAP, if you can say that with a straight face, that Gulbis and Berdych are more talented than Nadal :facepalm:

Gulbis is a ballbasher with zero motivation and a cesspool for a brain. Berdych has zero variety and was a mental midget until a year back. Apparently hitting flat bombs left and right is talent :rolleyes:

Sp!ffy
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Omg. :worship:

So classic of a Woz fan mocking Maria for winning a slam "ages ago".

You guys are so disillusioned right now, it's hysterical. :lol:

BepaMaria
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:32 AM
You need help ASAP, if you can say that with a straight face, that Gulbis and Berdych are more talented than Nadal :facepalm:

Gulbis is a ballbasher with zero motivation and a cesspool for a brain. Berdych has zero variety and was a mental midget until a year back. Apparently hitting flat bombs left and right is talent :rolleyes:

I agree with you that Gulbis and Berdych are not very talented, however saying that they are less talented than Nadal is just......:facepalm:.

Nadal is just a pathetic moonballer who relies on his fitness and aura to win matches and that only requires training and very hard work off the court. At least ballbashers require a certain amount of talent to aim near the lines and produce winners.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:34 AM

You are the delusional one if you think it isn't true. 3 years and 2 months to be more precise.

Craig.
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:37 AM
You are the delusional one if you think it isn't true. 3 years and 2 months to be more precise.

Hey, at least she's won one eh? ;) Three to be more precise.

Sp!ffy
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:38 AM

That's not what I was referring to. You act as if Caro is winning all these slams and as if you have the right to mock Maria's achievements when all Caro has been doing is whoring thousands of tournaments in the weakest state of WTA history. So pathetic. :lol:

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I agree with you that Gulbis and Berdych are not very talented, however saying that they are less talented than Nadal is just......:facepalm:.

Nadal is just a pathetic moonballer who relies on his fitness and aura to win matches and that only requires training and very hard work off the court. At least ballbashers require a certain amount of talent to aim near the lines and produce winners.

So hitting acute angles and severe topspin to make the ball jump away from opponents, pinpoint passing shots, ridiculous inside-out forehands landing on the sideline inside the service box, making jaw-dropping gets etc. are not talent? Ballbashers are called that because they hit the same shot over and over and never have any idea when a ball goes in (rarely) and when it doesn't (mostly).

But such obvious insights are wasted on you. Hitting balls grazing the net and baseline from side to side: talent :yeah:.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:44 AM
That's not what I was referring to. You act as if Caro is winning all these slams and as if you have the right to mock Maria's achievements when all Caro has been doing is whoring thousands of tournaments in the weakest state of WTA history. So pathetic. :lol:

I'm not.

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:45 AM

I shall tell you that you have confused yourself over these past few years between "style of play" and "technique/tennis skills"... which have nothing to do...

On the second point indeed Gulbis and/or Berdych have much innate talent could it be on a technical stand-point, their ballstricking... than Nads... take any slow motions to see the difference... it's like comparing a Rolls-royce... european cars to one of these shitty ones from the US... ROFL !!

No necessarily, but I'd say Caro has some advantages over Nicole talentwise and gamewise if we include things like mentality, tactics, moevement etc...

ROFL !! Cmon... :rolls: Caro's movement not her footwork is unseen on the tour how could this even used as an element of comparision !!? Nicole was a 10 000th ranked in terms of mental fortitude so this would be unfair too...

Just on a technical point of view Nicole >>> Caro... but as on TF people like to include so much different things into the word talent then I wouldn't argue to include movement or whatever else... lol.

Roookie
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Caro just win a damn slam soon would ya?...I couldn't care less for her but the never ending discussions and comments about it are so tiresome...especially since she'll win one at some point with the current state of the WTA. Just hope it happens soon so everybody moves to the next topic: the slams count :hearts:

Ryan
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:48 AM
People should know to not take BepaMaria seriously at all. Saying that stuff about Nadal....just, too much to handle. :lol: This is from a Zvonareva fan to top it off. :o

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
ROFL !! Cmon... :rolls: Caro's movement not her footwork is unseen on the tour how could this even used as an element of comparision !!? Nicole was a 10 000th ranked in terms of mental fortitude so this would be unfair too...

Yeah, so let's exclude all the things Caro does well and Nicole doesn't do well and let's include all the things Nicole does well so that we can have a fair comparison, I agree :yeah:

Nicolás89
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM

Please, people say that in all eras, they said it when Graf was winning, when Hingis was winning, when Serena was winning, Justine, Jankovic, Clijsters, etc.

Sp!ffy
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Please, people say that in all eras, they said it when Graf was winning, when Hingis was winning, when Serena was winning, Justine, Jankovic, Clijsters, etc.

I don't remember the last time when all of the previous grand slam winners were retired, injured, or seriously slumping.

cellophane
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Even Ivanovic.

BepaMaria
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM
So hitting acute angles and severe topspin to make the ball jump away from opponents, pinpoint passing shots, ridiculous inside-out forehands landing on the sideline inside the service box, making jaw-dropping gets etc. are not talent? Ballbashers are called that because they hit the same shot over and over and never have any idea when a ball goes in (rarely) and when it doesn't (mostly).

But such obvious insights are wasted on you. Hitting balls grazing the net and baseline from side to side: talent :yeah:.

Those attributes which you have listed point towards Federer. And you're right, I admit Federer has much more talent than brainless ballbashers:yeah:. But Nadal? :facepalm:

Its the same theory on the womens' side. Aggressive players such as Sharapova, Zvonareva etc are more talented than pushers such as Pushniacki and they are the ones who will reap the rewards and walk home with the slams. Pushniacki ain't having any.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Those attributes which you have listed point towards Federer. And you're right, I admit Federer has much more talent than brainless ballbashers:yeah:. But Nadal? :facepalm:

Its the same theory on the womens' side. Aggressive players such as Sharapova, Zvonareva etc are more talented than pushers such as Pushniacki and they are the ones who will reap the rewards and walk home with the slams. Pushniacki ain't having any.

OK, I can't... :happy:. It is understandable though that someone enamored of the overrated and brainless Gulbis would also favor Sharapova.

Good for you. I hope Sharapova and Gulbis bottle up their 'talent' and sell it at exorbitant prices to jobless farts who care, it is not doing them much good apparently.

Nicolás89
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I don't remember the last time when all of the previous grand slam winners were retired, injured, or seriously slumping.

1997? 2004?

Smitten
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Even Ivanovic.

:haha: I can't take Martina for that quote.

Kairi
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM
http://www.wiz-urd.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/orly2nm.gif

BartoLiNa
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Serena is a more intelligent player than Wozniacki.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I think the difference with Caro in 2011 is that she now manages to win when she isn't playing that well. She used to just get crushed when her shots were a touch off, now she escapes from some matches where she isn't top form. All week here she wasn't great, but she fought through BZS and Wickmayer, two matches she definitely could have lost.

Lachy
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Vesnina hit the nail on the head there despite her alternate way of expressing it :lol: Cluey girl there, she knows what's goin' on :rolls:

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Let's just say: If she CAN'T win a major in this era, then...:lol: :spit:

goldenlox
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Let's just say: If she CAN'T win a major in this era, then...:lol: :spit:Then what, take a time machine to 1970?
You can only play in your time. Caro is 20. These next 10 years are her time

Frederik
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
:weirdo:

LOLz at posters going postal over Vesnina "insulting" Serena by stating that Wozniacka doesn't win with power unlike Serena (I'm sure Vesnina knows given that she was blown off the court in their US Open match in 2008)... :rolleyes:

+ 1

Frederik
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
We've talked about that many times... IW might be called a Mandatory but it doesn't have the field

It doesn't have the field?

Who the hell played Miami this year after skipping IW? The world # 456? :eek:

Just like it is classic of you to mock Caro for not winning a slam... ;)

You're a thourough ATP follower from my knowledge and I could name a bunch of guys like Gulbis, Berdych... who are far more better skilled than Nads yet he has 9 majors... so winning (big) titles indeed doesn't forcefully make you a great talent...

Wow.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Then what, take a time machine to 1970?
You can only play in your time. Caro is 20. These next 10 years are her time

And that's exactly why I'm saying...never an era in which it's easier to win a major. Serena out, Venus on last legs...Kim maybe injured.
So really if Caro can't win in this era, then she really is no good at all.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
:lol: So Serena is the 'dumb' player huh? Call me when Caro wins 13 majors..:lol:

Hian
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
The most important thing is to believe that.

Corswandt
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
It bothers the hell out of me that she almost always mentions the fact that the right draw has to fall in place for her to win a Grand Slam. Sorry but that shouldn't be coming out of the mouth of the current world #1 player!

This doesn't scandalise me at all as it's the ugly tr00f.

Wozniacka, like her handlers Daddy Greedniacki and Sven the Svengali, is a realist.

doomsday
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Just shut up Vesnina, she talks about Serena just to be relevant noone cares about you and noone will.

Steven.
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just shut up Vesnina, she talks about Serena just to be relevant noone cares about you and noone will.

lol so mean.

PineappleBoy
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM

+1000000000

FORZA SARITA
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM
she can only hope for lucky draws :lol:

MyskinaManiac
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Lols at Serena fans jumping on Vesnina (who in my opinion is one of the sweetest girls on tour) about claimw about the contrasting styles of Caro and Serena. Serena does play a power game, and in comparison to Caro does not base her game on skill; build a bridge and get over it.

Talk about how Caro would be scraping to get in the top10 a decade ago with her mediocre play. WTA = FAIL.

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM
In short: :haha:

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Lols at Serena fans jumping on Vesnina (who in my opinion is one of the sweetest girls on tour) about claimw about the contrasting styles of Caro and Serena. Serena does play a power game, and in comparison to Caro does not base her game on skill; build a bridge and get over it.

Talk about how Caro would be scraping to get in the top10 a decade ago with her mediocre play. WTA = FAIL.

:lol: What skill? Caro can't even hit a decent forehand. :help: I mean...:facepalm:

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM

So you think Wozniacki is more talented than these players even taking into account her inability to hit a succesful dropshot? Even Pova has proved she can, that's saying a lot.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
So you think Wozniacki is more talented than these players even taking into account her inability to hit a succesful dropshot? Even Pova has proved she can, that's saying a lot.

What does hitting a dropshot have to do with that? :weirdo:

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
What does hitting a dropshot have to do with that? :weirdo:
:lol:

You were talking about talented players. You even think Nicole Vaidisova isn't more talented than Wozniacki. :help:

6iNdY3VcS2k
1:48
5:48
7:50
8:32

Never seen Wozniacki producing a shot that comes remotely close, because of her almost non-existent touch.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM

You were talking about talented players. You even think Nicole Vaidisova isn't more talented than Wozniacki. :help:

Read again. And please spare me the vids of one of the most overrated players on this forum.

Miracle Worker
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Never seen Wozniacki producing a shot that comes remotely close, because of her almost non-existent touch.

It doesn't important now, cause Nicole doesn't play :bigcry:

But she was player, who should reach top positions in ranking.

TennisFan66
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Funny sheit. In every single thread about Caro, you come walzing in with your mocking, insulting, spamming bs. But thats ok of course .. because .....?

doomsday
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
This hype Caroline needs to stop, there are about 10 threads about her in the main page. Just leave us alone we will give her some credit when she will win a major and that's the main goal of a N1 no matter what she or her delusional fans says.

TennisFan66
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
This hype Caroline needs to stop, there are about 10 threads about her in the main page. Just leave us alone we will give her some credit when she will win a major and that's the main goal of a N1 no matter what she or her delusional fans says.

Wanna bet you wont? .. When/if Caro wins a slam, you and your kiddy friends are just going to find something else to moan, mock, insult about ... and round and round we go.

But for now, the 'no slam' is your last remaining life line and its used a LOT. :lol:

doomsday
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Wanna bet you wont? .. When/if Caro wins a slam, you and your kiddy friends are just going to find something else to moan, mock, insult about ... and round and round we go.

But for now, the 'no slam' is your last remaining life line and its used a LOT. :lol:

Actually it's just the way it is. Caroline would shut everyone's mouth if she could win FO beating the likes of Clijsters or Fran since she is the defending champ. She needs to prove she can beat the best and NOT take advantage of their absence because so far she never proved she can win a big title vs greats players.

ReboundAce
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Enough with this so what she wins a major and after that what ? it is not that big thing winning one sveta didi it and sexa did it, why wouldn't she ...someday maybe

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:45 PM

ffs :hysteric:

TennisFan66
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Actually it's just the way it is. Caroline would shut everyone's mouth if she could win FO beating the likes of Clijsters or Fran since she is the defending champ. She needs to prove she can beat the best and NOT take advantage of their absence because so far she never proved she can win a big title vs greats players.

and round and round we go ... :rolleyes:

But allow me to prepare you, in case Caro wins this years FO.

Fran was injured. Kim was injured. Serena was injured. Venus was injured. Caro was lucky. Easiest draw ever. One slam wonder 'laugh laugh laugh'. Caro will never win another slam. Pova was out of form. Lucky that X beat Y, because Y would have double bagelled Caro.

This is obviously just a few examples. I'm sure should the situation occur, you'll prove to be very creative.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM

WTF?:spit:

Fantasy Hero
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
But allow me to prepare you, in case Caro wins this years FO.

Fran was injured. Kim was injured. Serena was injured. Venus was injured. Caro was lucky. Easiest draw ever. One slam wonder 'laugh laugh laugh'. Caro will never win another slam. Pova was out of form. Lucky that X beat Y, because Y would have double bagelled Caro.

This is obviously just a few examples. I'm sure should the situation occur, you'll prove to be very creative.

this.

i know too well the ones who posts in GM to not agree with you all the line.

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
OK, I can't... :happy:. It is understandable though that someone enamored of the overrated and brainless Gulbis would also favor Sharapova.

Good for you. I hope Sharapova and Gulbis bottle up their 'talent' and sell it at exorbitant prices to jobless farts who care, it is not doing them much good apparently.

You're irrelevant and can't bring no facts on the table technique wise... to justify that Gulbis isn't more skilled than Nads... you're a typical fan boy with it's fanatic vocabulary...

Let's just say: If she CAN'T win a major in this era, then...:lol: :spit:

Rena has also had her share of weak field in 2002-2003... she won 4 for the "Rena slam" but I don't really see how that makes her in that period more relevant than Caro who still hasn't won one yet in this era !!?

It doesn't have the field?

Who the hell played Miami this year after skipping IW? The world # 456? :eek:

In case you didn't know IW doesn't have the WS for the last 10yrs... personally I don't care but a field without them always easy ups things for a certain category of players.

:lol: So Serena is the 'dumb' player huh? Call me when Caro wins 13 majors..:lol:

:spit: Do you really believe in what you write !!? :rolls: Rena is from my point of view a one-dimensional player which I justify by matches like US Open 2009 vs. Kimmie or RG 2007 vs. Justine 1rst set where she played variances and was COMPLETELY out-classed...

Serena without power and serve is nothing than a very below average top 200 player... though from the works and researches of some notorious posters have tried to prove the contrary...

Rena can hit some angles, she can volley all-right, her slice is better than Vee... but nothing to Federize her like it has tried to be done the last few years.

Drake1980
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Sorry guys,she can and will win a GS. No question about it.

Ferg
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM
She sounds like Andy Murray.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
You're irrelevant and can't bring no facts on the table technique wise... to justify that Gulbis isn't more skilled than Nads... you're a typical fan boy with it's fanatic vocabulary...

:help:

Yeah? Lets bring in technique then. Watch Nadal's footwork, the little steps, how he freezes his head on impact and after, how he follows through when he wants to generate topspin (most of the time) vs when he flattens his shots, how he gets down low on his backhand which is a flatter shot. It is the same every time.

NOw most good players share some of these traits. Gulbis has good shots too, and a great serve, but you often see him moping about, not moving his feet, and his shot selection - :tape:.

Of course, since talent to you = speed of forehand as it leaves the racquet, I guess I have to concede you win this argument and are eminently relevant with your keen insights while I am not.

Miracle Worker
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM
She sounds like Andy Murray.

:worship:

jrm
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I can see how beating Strycova Zhlavova the way she did gives you much needed confident!

MaBaker
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
“It’s all about getting everything together,” she said. “The draw has to fit, I have to play well for two weeks, things like that all have to work together.”
Pathetic. No.1 should not wish for some easy draw to win a slam.

She wishes for 2 lucky weeks. Jelena was right.

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Pathetic. No.1 should not wish for some easy draw to win a slam.

She wishes for 2 lucky weeks. Jelena was right.

well you don't want to have to face the seven best claycourt players in the draw back to back when trying to capture your first FO. Any player would feel that way, even Serena. She might not say it. Or you don't want to draw several back to back grinders that will keep you out on court forever when working your way to a slam final. I don't think its such a horrible thing to be realistic about. It's not like she is saying 'give me the easiest players so I can win" I think that's just what YOUR getting out of it.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
well you don't want to have to face the seven best claycourt players in the draw back to back when trying to capture your first FO. Any player would feel that way, even Serena. She might not say it. Or you don't want to draw several back to back grinders that will keep you out on court forever when working your way to a slam final. I don't think its such a horrible thing to be realistic about. It's not like she is saying 'give me the easiest players so I can win" I think that's just what YOUR getting out of it.

Exactly.

MaBaker
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
It kinda is, since she's talking about the draw being fit.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Well she's not saying give me the hardest either :shrug:.

That means that she thinks that she is not the best out there. If she felt that way she would have said " give me anyone, If I'm gonna win this I don't care who my opponents are", don't ya think?

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Regardless of how either one of us interprets "draw needs to fit"
my main reason for responding was that to call it "pathetic" as you did seems silly:shrug:
but I don't want to fight girl;)

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM

"fit" doesn't mean easiest. :rolleyes:

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Well she's not saying give me the hardest either :shrug:.

That means that she thinks that she is not the best out there. If she felt that way she would have said " give me anyone, If I'm gonna win this I don't care who my opponents are", don't ya think?

No it doesn't.
Why would she say "give me the hardest"
so everyone can mock and ridicule her for being too arrogant like so many did to Serena over the years
Just can't win with some of you people:lol:

doomsday
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Fit means sth who suits her, so clearly she is talking about getting all Russians in her draw except Sharapova and Zvonareva.

MaBaker
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Regardless of how either one of us interprets "draw needs to fit"
my main reason for responding was that to call it "pathetic" as you did seems silly:shrug:
but I don't want to fight girl;)
It is pathetic. Any no.1 should not talk about the draw being fit.. That goes for my fave too.
Yes, it does.

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Fit means sth who suits her, so clearly she is talking about getting all Russians in her draw except Sharapova and Zvonareva.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind Sharapova too much in her draw considerng what happened the last two times they met. :p

Seriously, I don't know which players she means, but maybe you do...

doomsday
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm sure she wouldn't mind Sharapova too much in her draw considerng what happened the last two times they met. :p

Seriously, I don't know which players she means, but maybe you do...

I just do know that thinking this way is not the mentality of a true N1.:shrug:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
No it doesn't.
Why would she say "give me the hardest"
so everyone can mock and ridicule her for being too arrogant like so many did to Serena over the years
Just can't win with some of you people:lol:

Serena gained Respect that way:shrug:.

If she is afraid that she will be mocked or something, then she has no character.She cares too much what people say, thats why she got all crazy when every one was telling her she was boring in press conferences. If Someone said for Serena something like that, she would become more boring just to annoy them :lol:. Serena adored when every one was mocking her for what she was, but she still gained respect that way :shrug:.

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
It is pathetic. Any no.1 should not talk about the draw being fit.. That goes for my fave too.

Yes, it does.

yeah but you have been one of the posters that has gone with the pack of her ranking doesn't mean anything because it's all about slams and what not. Now you see her ranking #1 so important that these are your standards and anything less is pathetic.
nice
And...it's true that I can't recall too many players saying this about the draw but I have heard commentators say it over the years and you know Caro is just doing things differently...which I think drives alot of fans here crazy. For me, her saying the "draw needs to fit" as the #1 just seems like a more modern approach to answering the question. It's all how you look at it I guess.

MaBaker
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
yeah but you have been one of the posters that has gone with the pack of her ranking doesn't mean anything because it's all about slams and what not. Now you see her ranking #1 so important that these are your standards and anything less is pathetic.
nice
And...it's true that I can't recall too many players saying this about the draw but I have heard commentators say it over the years and you know Caro is just doing things differently...which I think drives alot of fans here crazy. For me, her saying the "draw needs to fit" as the #1 just seems like a more modern approach to answering the question. It's all how you look at it I guess.
Excuse me? I was only vomiting in Caroline's threads, don't confuse me with other people who think that it's all about slams.

She's the no.1. No talking about draw being fit and winning anyone on her way to a slam title would bring her respect. That goes for everyone else too.

AcesHigh
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I just do know that thinking this way is not the mentality of a true N1.:shrug:

Because you have so much experience as #1

HowardH
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Firstly, isn't it kind of funny that such a dominant no. 1 has to go ahead and actually make a claim that they could win a grand slam? Because if she didn't say it... people wouldn't think it was possible for her? This isn't like those other slamless no. 1s who were struggling when ranked no. 1. She's actually playing well, at or near her best, and is consistently winning tournaments. Yet she still feels the need to point out that it's theoretically possible for her to win a slam. If nothing else that shows that she is aware that a slam is a very different beast for a player like her to conquer.

Wozniacka, like her handlers Daddy Greedniacki and Sven the Svengali, is a realist.

It is the truth. But even I am surprised that she accepts it so easily. It's only a throwaway comment, but it betrays that deep down she knows that if the draw is not kind to her she won't be winning a slam. She needs the right opponents. That surprised me a little. I thought Piotr was trying to brainwash her to believe she is the absolute best and could beat absolutely anyone, regardless of whoever was put in her way. Maybe I've been watching the matches but not reading that many of the interviews, otherwise this mentality of hers might have been obvious to me earlier on. I guess she knows she has to be opportunistic. It must be an odd feeling, wanting to believe you're the best, but also knowing that you need help from the draw. None of the greats thought like this. They always wanted to take on the best and beat them. Bring them on, so to speak.

Anyway, she may well get what she wants. Rather likely that we could see a RG without Kim or either WS. Sam, Schiavone, Sveta etc could continue on with their slumping ways. Masha isn't even playing that great on hard, so clay should be worse. JJ has been missing in action in her recent matches with Caro, which doesn't bode well for her. Do the big hitting Li Na and Kvitova even understand how to play on clay at all? Vika doesn't really seem to know how to beat Caro when it matters, and clay tends to take a little out of Vika's groundies. Who's left? Vera perhaps? A possible challenge. Then she just needs any other dangerous floaters to get knocked out by more harmless players and she's away and swinging.

Also, since when did noting that a certain player utilises power while another does not imply that the one who uses power is not skilled? Has hitting extremely hard and in suddenly not become a useful skill in tennis? Seriously, try it. Hit extremely hard and try to keep it in. Try it with a serve, a forehand, a backhand. It is not easy. Then try looping it softly in. It's easy.

Playing a power game requires a set of tremendously accurate and dynamic hand-eye skills (and guts). Playing a "smart" game without power requires a different set of skills, a little less hand-eye for the grinding style of Caro, (very high hand-eye coordination is required to play a placement based/touch based construction style like Hingis, involving dropshots, swing volleys, volleys etc) but more brains, more foot movement, less guts but more persistence. I don't get how people can possibly think Ves insulted Serena there. She just noted the difference in styles.

Lastly, people seem to be bringing up Rafa for comparison. Nadal does have ability. It's true he doesn't have the fluid forehand of Federer, or the seamless serve and volley of Sampras, the pure net skills of Edberg, or the exquisite timing of Agassi. He is a little less natural than these players, but still skilled nonetheless, more so than Caro. He can hit shots which Caro couldn't dream of. Also (and this is very important) what he lacks in pure talent he makes up in tremendous world-class athleticism, which Caro does not have. Caro has consistency, focus, smarts, a decent fitness level, but unlike with Rafa, people aren't looking at her and thinking "wow she's in such amazing condition, one of the strongest/fittest ever". She's quite fit, no more. Very determined mentally though. Which is why I feel she will tire herself winning consistently over a period of time.

If someone beats Caro in RG, don't be too surprised to find Caro's tiredness playing a role, as some other posters have mentioned. If you grind opponents down your body needs to be able to handle a lot of punishment. Caro has never looked like her body is in the condition required to handle this on a consistent basis, hence the cramping fits at the YEC. Given the appalling way so many wta players are playing right now, Caro may well find that in the upcoming RG, her own body is her toughest opponent.

pav
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
No doubt the bugger can, and possibly will, but not set in concrete.

дalex
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Yes, it does.

Your fave thinks you need some luck to win a Slam. Getting a draw that fits you is somewhat lucky, no?

:oh:

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Excuse me? I was only vomiting in Caroline's threads, don't confuse me with other people who think that it's all about slams.

She's the no.1. No talking about draw being fit and winning anyone on her way to a slam title would bring her respect. That goes for everyone else too.

ok...my apologies

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Serena gained Respect that way:shrug:.

If she is afraid that she will be mocked or something, then she has no character.She cares too much what people say, thats why she got all crazy when every one was telling her she was boring in press conferences. If Someone said for Serena something like that, she would become more boring just to annoy them :lol:. Serena adored when every one was mocking her for what she was, but she still gained respect that way :shrug:.

well I suppose I let all the hateful posts you make about Woz deem you in my eyes as an overall troll...but great post!:cool:
But every number one can't be Serena. Maybe "caring what others think" is just part of Caro's natural character. Not to say she will not grow more in this department with age and more experience though.

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
:help:

Yeah? Lets bring in technique then. Watch Nadal's footwork, the little steps, how he freezes his head on impact and after, how he follows through when he wants to generate topspin (most of the time) vs when he flattens his shots, how he gets down low on his backhand which is a flatter shot. It is the same every time.

Surprise... keeping your head still is the basic that every pro tennis player does... :lol: that's not even mentionable... it's just like watching the ball on CP... though Djokovic doesn't do it each time on his FH...

What do you have to say on Nads BH I wonder... :rolls:

NOw most good players share some of these traits. Gulbis has good shots too, and a great serve, but you often see him moping about, not moving his feet, and his shot selection - :tape:.

Once again you're mixing up apples and apricots... how does movement influence the perfection of let's say the kinetic chain of his BH !!? How does it affect his rotation into the ball !!? The quickness of his hands or his hands skills.

Movement only affects on contact point since you couldn't put yourself in position to strike the ball at the ideal spot on the racket but it doesn't affect the quintessential aspects such as
upper body rotation etc...

Of course, since talent to you = speed of forehand as it leaves the racquet, I guess I have to concede you win this argument and are eminently relevant with your keen insights while I am not.
No. Talent for me is fluidity in execution, perfect timing which englobes effecient weight transfer into contact point, efficient shoulder and/or rotation so as taking the ball at the perfect spot persistently... and many other things... but just to stay at that...

You can argue however you want Gulbis has these things innate... then I am careless what he does with the ball on court but his ballstricking and preparation before and finition after contact point are perfect... ;)

goldenlox
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I hope she gets that major for a few reasons, one of them being that future slamless #1's get more respect, especially young #1's.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Firstly, isn't it kind of funny that such a dominant no. 1 has to go ahead and actually make a claim that they could win a grand slam? Because if she didn't say it... people wouldn't think it was possible for her? This isn't like those other slamless no. 1s who were struggling when ranked no. 1. She's actually playing well, at or near her best, and is consistently winning tournaments. Yet she still feels the need to point out that it's theoretically possible for her to win a slam. If nothing else that shows that she is aware that a slam is a very different beast for a player like her to conquer.

It is the truth. But even I am surprised that she accepts it so easily. It's only a throwaway comment, but it betrays that deep down she knows that if the draw is not kind to her she won't be winning a slam. She needs the right opponents. That surprised me a little. I thought Piotr was trying to brainwash her to believe she is the absolute best and could beat absolutely anyone, regardless of whoever was put in her way. Maybe I've been watching the matches but not reading that many of the interviews, otherwise this mentality of hers might have been obvious to me earlier on. I guess she knows she has to be opportunistic. It must be an odd feeling, wanting to believe you're the best, but also knowing that you need help from the draw. None of the greats thought like this. They always wanted to take on the best and beat them. Bring them on, so to speak.

Anyway, she may well get what she wants. Rather likely that we could see a RG without Kim or either WS. Sam, Schiavone, Sveta etc could continue on with their slumping ways. Masha isn't even playing that great on hard, so clay should be worse. JJ has been missing in action in her recent matches with Caro, which doesn't bode well for her. Do the big hitting Li Na and Kvitova even understand how to play on clay at all? Vika doesn't really seem to know how to beat Caro when it matters, and clay tends to take a little out of Vika's groundies. Who's left? Vera perhaps? A possible challenge. Then she just needs any other dangerous floaters to get knocked out by more harmless players and she's away and swinging.

Also, since when did noting that a certain player utilises power while another does not imply that the one who uses power is not skilled? Has hitting extremely hard and in suddenly not become a useful skill in tennis? Seriously, try it. Hit extremely hard and try to keep it in. Try it with a serve, a forehand, a backhand. It is not easy. Then try looping it softly in. It's easy.

Playing a power game requires a set of tremendously accurate and dynamic hand-eye skills (and guts). Playing a "smart" game without power requires a different set of skills, a little less hand-eye for the grinding style of Caro, (very high hand-eye coordination is required to play a placement based/touch based construction style like Hingis, involving dropshots, swing volleys, volleys etc) but more brains, more foot movement, less guts but more persistence. I don't get how people can possibly think Ves insulted Serena there. She just noted the difference in styles.

Lastly, people seem to be bringing up Rafa for comparison. Nadal does have ability. It's true he doesn't have the fluid forehand of Federer, or the seamless serve and volley of Sampras, the pure net skills of Edberg, or the exquisite timing of Agassi. He is a little less natural than these players, but still skilled nonetheless, more so than Caro. He can hit shots which Caro couldn't dream of. Also (and this is very important) what he lacks in pure talent he makes up in tremendous world-class athleticism, which Caro does not have. Caro has consistency, focus, smarts, a decent fitness level, but unlike with Rafa, people aren't looking at her and thinking "wow she's in such amazing condition, one of the strongest/fittest ever". She's quite fit, no more. Very determined mentally though. Which is why I feel she will tire herself winning consistently over a period of time.

If someone beats Caro in RG, don't be too surprised to find Caro's tiredness playing a role, as some other posters have mentioned. If you grind opponents down your body needs to be able to handle a lot of punishment. Caro has never looked like her body is in the condition required to handle this on a consistent basis, hence the cramping fits at the YEC. Given the appalling way so many wta players are playing right now, Caro may well find that in the upcoming RG, her own body is her toughest opponent.

:worship:

Setsuna.
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Of course she can.

This.

Setsuna.
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:49 PM

HowardH.:worship:

terjw
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Good grief. Of course everything has to fall into place including the draw. There's nothing wrong or defeatest with her saying or thinking that. She's not praying or wishing for an easy draw or a hard draw or anything either. Just saying everything has to fall in place as a matter of fact.

If anyone thinks Caro would think if she saw a tough draw "Oh I've no hope. I can't win with that draw" they really have no idea and are totally clueless.

Thank God she listens to her team and not the clowns here with their advice on what she should say or think. That has got her to winning big titles, the #1, and a steady improvement at the slams from being about #10 in the pecking order and a likely 4R/(QF) loser to a genuine contender.

ReboundAce
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
OMG is charleston what she needed to finally say she could win GS ? is she like reetarded ?it would have been more loogical if she said it after IW

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
OMG is charleston what she needed to finally say she could win GS ? is she like reetarded ?it would have been more loogical if she said it after IW

Charleston is on clay. RG is on clay. RG is the next slam.

toxina90
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Let's be specific. Caro won't get away with such bovine movement on the red stuff :tape:

ReboundAce
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Yes of course i don't have nothing against her but i think she should haveknown that long before !

Matt01
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Yes of course i don't have nothing against her but i think she should haveknown that long before !

Maybe she did know before but she was asked now :shrug:

Serena_4ever
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I think that Caro can do it! :yeah:

She looks more pumped up than ever at the moment!

Break My Rapture
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Let's be specific. Caro won't get away with such bovine movement on the red stuff :tape:
I agree, but she will get away with it somehow I fear.

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I was just answering another posters question as to why she probably felt more comfortable saying she will win a slam after winning a clay tournament as opposed to after winning Indian Wells. I know red clay is different from green clay though. Maybe her movement won't work well on the red stuff...or maybe it will:shrug: You can never count out Caro. I've seen her adapt/work her game in different ways a lot recently seemingly out of nowhere. For all we know she might show up at RG sliding around like she owns the stuff...you never know.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Surprise... keeping your head still is the basic that every pro tennis player does... :lol: that's not even mentionable... it's just like watching the ball on CP... though Djokovic doesn't do it each time on his FH...

What do you have to say on Nads BH I wonder... :rolls:

No. Talent for me is fluidity in execution, perfect timing which englobes effecient weight transfer into contact point, efficient shoulder and/or rotation so as taking the ball at the perfect spot persistently... and many other things... but just to stay at that...

Assembly-line products from Bolitieri's are also taught about the perfect weight transfer, shoulder/hip rotation and hitting the sweetspot. God-given talent, of course.

EVERYBODY is taught the absolute basics, but the very best implement them in a way that perfectly compliments their game and strategy, select their shots well, recognize what the opponent is doing etc. THAT is talent. Federer has it (BTW, watch Federer's head, his feet, how he gets BEHIND every ball), Nadal has it, even if they play far from the same game, and Federer has the fuller toolbox.

I know, it is hard to imagine that it could be that hard, when talent should just mean striking every ball at ideal waist-height and perfect distance from the body with minimal adjustments :rolleyes:. Do we also say Davenport was more talented than Serena Williams?

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Assembly-line products from Bolitieri's are also taught about the perfect weight transfer, shoulder/hip rotation and hitting the sweetspot. God-given talent, of course.

This is what you're having are hard time understanding... these skills can be innate for some kids where as some others would have a very hard time mastering these all into contact point and would have to acquire it through heavy training...

Berdych or Gulbis... they have these God-given skills... :shrug: Go on Youtube and search for vids of Kimmie when she was a kid and pay close attention to her FH technique already...

EVERYBODY is taught the absolute basics, but the very best implement them in a way that perfectly compliments their game and strategy, select their shots well, recognize what the opponent is doing etc. THAT is talent. Federer has it (BTW, watch Federer's head, his feet, how he gets BEHIND every ball), Nadal has it, even if they play far from the same game, and Federer has the fuller toolbox.

You state an undeniable fact but no one has the universal definition of the word talent... Nads' talent didn't reside in the manner he stroke the ball but his physique : stamina, explosivity, quick feets... Baby Federer had the God-given given handskills, fluidity etc... Nads has had to work what wasn't given to him by God... soft hands, better vision of the court...

Now take tapes of baby Fed from a little before the 2000s Fed was a very scrapy talented dude who had unseen raquet head speed on his FH and raw power... he was lucky to fall on the correct guys to implement into him the correct strategies refining his raw talent to become a the GOAT he is now...

I know, it is hard to imagine that it could be that hard, when talent should just mean striking every ball at ideal waist-height and perfect distance from the body with minimal adjustments :rolleyes:.

These are the basics of tennis why are you fighting these... a player who doesn't adjust has chosen to do so most probably because of his superior ball-stricking and esteems that he doesn't need to have Federesque foot-work since he's on the ball he can put you 3m. away from it...

Now if his technique at hitting the ball nevertheless 9 out of 10 times out but clean, text-book... how does that make him less talented than a guy who hits everything in but on the most mediocre technical base !!?

Do we also say Davenport was more talented than Serena Williams?

Lindsey's technique on the basic sense is the cleanest and most perfect you'll ever get to see... she is poetry in motion and you'll never see maybe in 15yrs. a girl make all the concepts we've talked about look so easy... she could power the ball... find angles... effortlessly... she was unlucky to be so slow but no one doesn't want to imagine how much more destructive she'd be if she had Wozniacki's speed...

Lindsey >>> Rena... Rena's technique is the most useless you will find out there... her foot, her head... just all her freaking body is all over the place... how is she abled to hit power with consistency in such technical mediocrity is beyond my understanding.

Bingain
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Let's talk soccer for a bit. What makes Platini and Zidane so great? Of course the basics like dribbling and passing are magical. But almost every Brazilian pro footballers are great in that. It has to be more. Among them come the ability to read the game, knows what he is doing, what his teammates are doing, and what the foes are doing. And then when his team is trailing behind by 3, does he have the believe for turning the tide? Will he press (instead of play) until 90:00+3?

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous that determination is a talent, because it's so simple. But it's a quality most people don't have; it can't really be trained; and it tends to shatter when under pressure in doom situations.

I don't buy it that tennis talent is (just) effective FH + BH + volley + serve + smash + movement. These are the dribbling. passing, and shooting etc in soccer. You need the basics to be good. You need more than that to shine.

Which begs one question: Caro has more deficiencies than many top players: her FH is fluffy; her net sense is poor; she doesn't really have a smash; she doesn't play with variety; she refuses to take the ball early; she isn't even among the fastest movers. Why is she winning so many matches? Yeah, it's generation sucks, and the halo class players are either injured or don't care. But why aren't the other players doing better at least against her? People say she defends well, but why aren't the other quicker movers defending better? What makes her defense good considering she isn't really that fast?

Top players shine in at least an area or a few, but basically nobody is perfect. Serena doesn't have great footwork, but her massive upper body strength compensates for it and her transitional offense is among the best. Davenport couldn't move well, but she could play a dictating game moving her opponent instead. That means if there are qualities that enable a certain player compensate her deficiencies at least to a certain degree, she can still shine. The overall package is very different to all it's components combined.

Talent is a very vague term that is ill-defined, if at all.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Let's talk soccer for a bit. What makes Platini and Zidane so great? Of course the basics like dribbling and passing are magical. But almost every Brazilian pro footballers are great in that. It has to be more. Among them come the ability to read the game, knows what he is doing, what his teammates are doing, and what the foes are doing. And then when his team is trailing behind by 3, does he have the believe for turning the tide? Will he press (instead of play) until 90:00+3?

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous that determination is a talent, because it's so simple. But it's a quality most people don't have; it can't really be trained; and it tends to shatter when under pressure in doom situations.

I don't buy it that tennis talent is (just) effective FH + BH + volley + serve + smash + movement. These are the dribbling. passing, and shooting etc in soccer. You need the basics to be good. You need more than that to shine.

Which begs one question: Caro has more deficiencies than many top players: her FH is fluffy; her net sense is poor; she doesn't really have a smash; she doesn't play with variety; she refuses to take the ball early; she isn't even among the fastest movers. Why is she winning so many matches? Yeah, it's generation sucks, and the halo class players are either injured or don't care. But why aren't the other players doing better at least against her? People say she defends well, but why aren't the other quicker movers defending better? What makes her defense good considering she isn't really that fast?

Top players shine in at least an area or a few, but basically nobody is perfect. Serena doesn't have great footwork, but her massive upper body strength compensates for it and her transitional offense is among the best. Davenport couldn't move well, but she could play a dictating game moving her opponent instead. That means if there are qualities that enable a certain player compensate her deficiencies at least to a certain degree, she can still shine. The overall package is very different to all it's components combined.

Talent is a very vague term that is ill-defined, if at all.

I agree with all this. People think it is talent to be able to crush a forehand flat and within an inch of the sidelines, or hit a great serve, but these are basics players work on tirelessly for hours every single day of their careers. How can someone be born with the perfect forehand technique or weight transfer etched in their subconscious?? Ridiculous. NOw they are taught a certain way or decide to hit a shot a certain way and their physical abilities, strategical preferences etc. lead them to eventually develop a Federer forehand or Henin backhand.

In the same vein, there is immense skill that goes into hitting a forehand the way Nadal does. It may look ugly but nobody else could do it, and produce the same depth and vicious spin and angles like him. If you say that hand-eye coordination and timing are innate talents, you are correct, but so are anticipation, quickness and the ability to adjust (and obviously one's physical attributes).

Technique, fundamentals etc. are supposed to be part of your make-up as a tennis player. Maybe Serena and Venus never learned to hit their groundstrokes the exact same way Lindsay did, and their athleticism and determination led to a unique technique that crushed talented opponents' spirits and perfect games. I am starting to ramble here, but I believe I made my point.

wildemu
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:03 AM
If Caro keeps saying it and comes up empty, she will end up like this.

ooXQTCngijs

Le Tenisse
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Well, If Kim won´t play RG, she may have more chances. But, again so is Vera.

Volcana
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:34 AM
“It’s all about getting everything together,” she said. “The draw has to fit, I have to play well for two weeks, ... ”I believe we'll all agree that we've seen Venus, Serena, Henin, Davenport, Clijsters, play like shit at times and win slams, play though all kinds of draws and win slams ....

Winning because you're the best player isn't about having everything line up for you. Sue Barker and (bless her) Fran Schiavone have slams because 'the draw fit, and they played well for two weeks'.

Wozniacki is in position to psyche out every player under 25 in this tour. But she needs to WIN. Venus Williams spent 11 weeks at #1. And has SEVEN slams. But put that aside.

Fran Schiavone will retire with an accomplishment she admitted she didn't even DREAM of. Dinara Safina will likely retire as a failure. An accurate assessment? No. But life often doesn't get it done in the accuracy department.

bandabou
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Good grief. Of course everything has to fall into place including the draw. There's nothing wrong or defeatest with her saying or thinking that. She's not praying or wishing for an easy draw or a hard draw or anything either. Just saying everything has to fall in place as a matter of fact.

If anyone thinks Caro would think if she saw a tough draw "Oh I've no hope. I can't win with that draw" they really have no idea and are totally clueless.

Thank God she listens to her team and not the clowns here with their advice on what she should say or think. That has got her to winning big titles, the #1, and a steady improvement at the slams from being about #10 in the pecking order and a likely 4R/(QF) loser to a genuine contender.

The draw doesn't have thing to do it with it. When you're the best, it doesn't matter who's where or not.
She has to say if I keep doing what I've been doing, then that major will come for sure.

Sp!ffy
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I was just answering another posters question as to why she probably felt more comfortable saying she will win a slam after winning a clay tournament as opposed to after winning Indian Wells. I know red clay is different from green clay though. Maybe her movement won't work well on the red stuff...or maybe it will:shrug: You can never count out Caro. I've seen her adapt/work her game in different ways a lot recently seemingly out of nowhere. For all we know she might show up at RG sliding around like she owns the stuff...you never know.
Um no. How is Caro going to transform her clay game in one month? :weirdo:

Bonfire
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Um no. How is Caro going to transform her clay game in one month? :weirdo:

by watching Sharapova matches I guess:smoke:

Olórin
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I believe we'll all agree that we've seen Venus, Serena, Henin, Davenport, Clijsters, play like shit at times and win slams, play though all kinds of draws and win slams ....

Winning because you're the best player isn't about having everything line up for you. Sue Barker and (bless her) Fran Schiavone have slams because 'the draw fit, and they played well for two weeks'.

Wozniacki is in position to psyche out every player under 25 in this tour. But she needs to WIN. Venus Williams spent 11 weeks at #1. And has SEVEN slams. But put that aside.

Fran Schiavone will retire with an accomplishment she admitted she didn't even DREAM of. Dinara Safina will likely retire as a failure. An accurate assessment? No. But life often doesn't get it done in the accuracy department.

Well can't really agree on Lindsay - she had to play extraordinarily well to win all of her slams. Which isn't surprising given that she won them all in the 199-2000 period.

And I think you're a bit harsh calling Safina a failure. In all honesty, like a couple of other players, she probably overachieved ranking-wise, but she's still had an excellent career.

gdmirou
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
i didn't really want caro to win a slam before now, but now i truly do. she's such a tactician on court, able to read her opponent like an open book, and is really starting to not push all the time. she also seems like a sweet-hearted girl. i can support a player like this. :worship:

vesnina, if only you didn't beat shushu i would like you so much :o

:)

Smitten
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Well can't really agree on Lindsay - she had to play extraordinarily well to win all of her slams. Which isn't surprising given that she won them all in the 199-2000 period.

Agreed. Lindsay never had the luxury or ability to win slams playing below her absolute best.

And I think you're a bit harsh calling Safina a failure. In all honesty, like a couple of other players, she probably overachieved ranking-wise, but she's still had an excellent career.

Disagree. For all intents and purposes Safina is a failure. There is no excuse for a world #1 to be unable to capture a slam title before the end of their career, and her losses were not even competitive.

Lapaco
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:30 AM
the thing is safina is and never has been number 1 material. so she overachieved.

Apoleb
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Agreed. Lindsay never had the luxury or ability to win slams playing below her absolute best.

Disagree. For all intents and purposes Safina is a failure. There is no excuse for a world #1 to be unable to capture a slam title before the end of their career, and her losses were not even competitive.

Not being good enough. :shrug: She really didn't have an advantage at any slam. Her biggest chance was at the FO, but a Kuznetsova playing well will always outplay her on clay. Still, at least she made 3 GS finals which is a decent achievement.

Anyway, there's a reason why god is ending in the world in 2012. Just in time to deny Wozniacki her first slam.

She's not winning either FO or Wimbledon. And if she keeps playing at the same pace, she will be done by the US Open.

Juanes
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
she deserves to win grand slam finally

Olórin
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM

I agree she was an utter failure as #1. That's why I think if we caveat that she overachieved to get to #1 - we can be a little more complimentary about the rest of her achievements.

Apoleb
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Indeed. Which is why I don't think she will be trying to add anything substantial to her game. She's perfectly aware of her potential, and she decided to limit herself to this (cynical) approach and see where the chips may fall.

She needs the right opponents. That surprised me a little. I thought Piotr was trying to brainwash her to believe she is the absolute best and could beat absolutely anyone, regardless of whoever was put in her way. Maybe I've been watching the matches but not reading that many of the interviews, otherwise this mentality of hers might have been obvious to me earlier on. I guess she knows she has to be opportunistic

After her match with Bartoli (yes, good old Cakoli. Hardly a GOAT), she said that Bartoli was too good in the second set but that she'll make sure that she wouldn't give it her in the third set. In essence, she didn't feel the need to change anything in her game or try anything new. She'll keep it up the same way she always plays, and see if Bartoli can deliver again. And that's basically her approach against someone struggling to stay in the top 10.... It's really frustrating and embarrassing to see this kind of mentality at the top of the woman's game.

Matt01
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
She's not winning either FO or Wimbledon. And if she keeps playing at the same pace, she will be done by the US Open.

You relly hope so, don't you? :rolleyes:

Smitten
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Her biggest chance was at the FO, but a Kuznetsova playing well will always outplay her on clay.

For me, Safina is capable of handling Svetlana on clay at least on the basis of winning a single match. There was a stretch during Safina's best form when she won 5/6 meetings with 2 coming on clay. One was at Roland Garros even.

If I were a Safina fan, I wouldn't fear Kuznetsova on clay assuming Dinara was lucid and not mentally inhibited but I won't get into the game/matchup in this thread.

We all know Karolina is not winning in Paris or London. I will not rule her out of New York because that is her best surface and she would be able to capitalize there if the tour continues in this state: i.e. no Clijsters.

She'll keep it up the same way she always plays, and see if Bartoli can deliver again. And that's basically her approach against someone struggling to stay in the top 10.... It's really frustrating and embarrassing to see this kind of mentality at the top of the woman's game.

This has always been her philosophy to approach a match. I don't know to call it unwavering confidence because it isn't like she has other options when she is being outplayed.

To a certain extent I guess it is confidence in a way. She believes that if she is defending well enough and scrapping for every ball that the other girl on the side of the net won't be good enough for 2 sets.

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Its confidence because she won over half the tournaments she played in the last 9 months.
She is firmly entrenched at #1, making 10's of millions, and winning title after title.
So she should have some confidence.

Apoleb
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:21 PM
If I were a Safina fan, I wouldn't fear Kuznetsova on clay assuming Dinara was lucid and not mentally inhibited but I won't get into the game/matchup in this thread.

I disagree. I think it's in the hands of Kuznetsova more often than not. Of course she very rarely delivers, but in that final she played a solid match and Safina didn't have that many options. She broke down out of realization that her game is not good enough. Kuznetsova has more options, more bite, better serve.

We all know Karolina is not winning in Paris or London. I will not rule her out of New York because that is her best surface and she would be able to capitalize there if the tour continues in this state: i.e. no Clijsters. True, but if she keeps this frenetic schedule and she keeps reaching late winning/late stages of tournaments playing long matches I think she's really diminishing her chances.

To a certain extent I guess it is confidence in a way. She believes that if she is defending well enough and scrapping for every ball that the other girl on the side of the net won't be good enough for 2 sets.I disagree. If it was confidence she wouldn't say that she can win a slam if she gets a good draw. Plus, that same approach has lead to her being routed out in all of the big slam matches: it certainly didn't work against Li in the AO. But she perseveres because, as Corswandt mentioned, her realistic (and even cynical) approach. She's not willing to take risks, and I think that's what it comes down to. I don't really blame her but we're used to players with a perfectionist approach on top. Yes, even Safina. In the final of the AO against Serena, she came up trying to flatten and hit as best as she could, outside her abilities, but at least she tried (the poor thing :sad:). And when Jankovic got to number 1, she tried to change her serve motion, she bulked up hoping she gets more power; it ended up backfiring but again she took risks.

kman
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Then journalists should stop asking for words. She's just confident. Good for her.

Miracle Worker
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Am I wrong or Safina or JJ said something similar... And just after this they lost their first spot.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Haters running wild in this thread. It seems that they just can't stop commenting in Wozniacki threads, even though they hate her :scratch:

As for the thread, she can and will win a slam. All you haters just sit back and watch and try not to cry when she finally wins her first, and her second, and her third, and her fourth and so on.

Matt01
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I disagree. I think it's in the hands of Kuznetsova more often than not. Of course she very rarely delivers, but in that final she played a solid match and Safina didn't have that many options. She broke down out of realization that her game is not good enough. Kuznetsova has more options, more bite, better serve.

Err...no. She was under mental stress and therefore couldn't deliver. Nothing to do with her "game not being good enough". :rolleyes:

tennisbook365
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I think she certainly can, she has all the skills necessary to win a Grand Slam, the only thing she has to keep working on is her mental game, I hope she will do well in the near future, she is a great player and always nice and friendly. Anyways, all the best and good luck to Wozniacki.

www.tennisbook365.com

Batiguza
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Yeaaah... And I can win the lottery!!! Woohoo!:bounce:

Serenita
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Yeaaah... And I can win the lottery!!! Woohoo!:bounce:
:rolls::lol: