PDA

View Full Version : Marbella Final: Victoria Azarenka def. Irina-Camelia Begu 6-3 6-2

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Welcome new player in TOP5. Congrats Victoria :worship:

And welcome new player who debuted in TOP100 - Irina :yeah:

saul1333
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

Clay title :cheer:

#5 :inlove: :inlove:

RenaSlam.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Never in doubt. Transitioned to the red clay rather well. Keep going, Vika!

AjdeNate!
Vamos!

Jane Lane
:woohoo: VIKAAA!!! First clay title :inlove: Welcome to the Top 5 girl, you deserve it! Take a break now.....(at least until Fed Cup :lol:)

Irina looked tired at the end; great week for her, hope to see more of her! :yeah:

fouc
first time I saw Begu play - not impressive. You won't find more predictable shot selection than that.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Vika ;) :woohoo: :) :yeah: :D
#5 now :) :)

Steven.
Has Vika ever held onto 4 titles at any one time?

Cause she holds Stanford, Moscow, Miami and Marbella now...

anyways go vika :)

Sean.
She's playing really well at the moment. She's in danger of burning out before Roland Garros if she's not careful though!

toxina90
Great to see her winning like this. Quite looking forward to her form at RG. Some excellent hitting. :)

Sharapovian
Congrats Vika :D

First clay title :cheer:

New Number 5 :cheer:

Lucemferre
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Never in doubt. Transitioned to the red clay rather well. Keep going, Vika!

From purple Miami clay to red clay. Not very hard.

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
5th slam :inlove:

Nothing special for Begu though, but hope she could consolidate her top 100 ranking

Break My Rapture
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Career high #5. :hearts: Clay title #1. :hearts: Title #7. :hearts:

Didn't play as well as the semifinal though. :lol: Congrats Vika! :inlove:

InsideOut.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Losing 5 games to a Romanian :cuckoo: Still, at least there're some non-Wozniacki players who aren't too afraid to win.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
NID. Congrats I guess.

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Vika moves up to #5 and should stay top 5 for a while.
A strong FO contender.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Well done!

Sexa :smash:

tucker1989
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Vika looked so confident and comfortable. Hope she's able to maintain this form throughout the clay season.

Also, great week from Irina. She has a lot to be proud of, and her new ranking should help her build on this result for the rest of the year.

Aramitz_II
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Fantastic

I remember in IW how here coach convinced here to retire. Imagine her playing on against Caro an maybe make the injury real bad:eek: what a difference. Sometimes it is better not to fight.

Steven.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Vika moves up to #5 and should stay top 5 for a while.
A strong FO contender.

yeah, but she shouldn't stop there just yet. She has a lot to gain this season and should aim for a top 4 seed for RG.

PineappleBoy
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
So Great,Vika..

Svetlana)))
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Well done Vika :cheer:

Hian
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Good job :yeah:
Irina-Camelia :hug:

Belmont Lad
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Nice to see Azarenka follow up her Miami victory with confident play and another title here just days later. I like to see a confident player, kudos to her. :hatoff:

Mistress of Evil
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Azarenka, second title in a row :cheer:
Number 5 :bowdown:
11 consecutive wins :inlove:

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Vika :cheer: No surprise at all.:cheer:

Ballbasher
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
A very consistent Victoria throughout Marbella! :yeah: :inlove: Congrats on title #7! :)

Kampi
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Congrats Vika :worship::kiss::worship:

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Grats Vika... well done :)

I was hoping for a more competitive match...

Talula
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Excellent. But as others have said she should now aim to peak for RG, not burn out.

Lapaco
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Excellent. But as others have said she should now aim to peak for RG, not burn out.

azarenka to peak at rg :lol:

death

debby
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Vika :hearts: Amazing run ! Well done :yeah:

I hope she will be a strong contender for RG :cheer:

:hug: Begu

Craig.
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Vika :hearts: Amazing run ! Well done :yeah:

I hope she will be a strong contender for RG :cheer:

:hug: Begu

AMAZING? :unsure:

Ryan
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Word. I'm pumped she's played so well the last 3 weeks, I just hope she it able to manage her success now. I still remember her first set against Safina at RG 2009(?), how devastating she can be when playing well! If she can take a semblance of that form, with newfound maturity and confidence into RG, she really could win it all.

Anyone have her clay schedule handy? I hope there's no more than 3 tournies there, with the week before RG off.

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM
AMAZING? :unsure:

11 wins in row;)

Craig.
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
11 wins in row;)

Ah. Agreed then :yeah:

I thought she meant Marbella only :lol:

Ballbasher
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Word. I'm pumped she's played so well the last 3 weeks, I just hope she it able to manage her success now. I still remember her first set against Safina at RG 2009(?), how devastating she can be when playing well! If she can take a semblance of that form, with newfound maturity and confidence into RG, she really could win it all.

Anyone have her clay schedule handy? I hope there's no more than 3 tournies there, with the week before RG off.
Fed Cup (Hard Court)
Stuttgart
Week off
Madrid
Rome
Week off
Paris

QuietPlease
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Vika :cheer:
Congrats on your first clay court title and top 5 ranking! :bounce:

Seems like BFF Vika and Caro are dominating the WTA tour these days. Vika holding 4 titles and Caro holding 7 (or 8 if she take the Charleston title tonight).

Now, when will they start taking the Slams?

Temperenka
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I love titles :inlove:

Well done, Snickers!!! :banana: Soooo happy!! :)

Keep it up!

Ryan
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Fed Cup (Hard Court)
Stuttgart
Week off
Madrid
Rome
Week off
Paris

Sweet, thanks. Not a bad schedule really. I'd be happier if she wasn't playing Fed Cup, but that won't be too strenuous I guess. Just hoping she stays healthy, a Top 4 seeding would be wicked.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Fuck yeah :cheer: Never in doubt.

Fantastic week for both players :)

debby
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
11 wins in row;)

Yes + the transition from Miami to Marbella must be hard :yeah:

Ah. Agreed then :yeah:

I thought she meant Marbella only :lol:

Marbella is the 5th Slam, as stated by JJ fans :p

Corswandt
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I watched nearly all of the first set, but then only the last couple of games of the second.

I liked what I saw from Begu - she's a power player, with a fairly big, though not necessarily very effective, serve (I suspect that Snickers' amazing return made it look much weaker than it really is), who can hit a very deep ball from her BH side and also from her FH side when given the time to set it up. Her BH DTL is a powerful weapon for her level, and even though she struggled to hit her western FH with consistent depth, when she looped it deep enough CC Snickers was either pushed back or fumbled her FH. She's still understandably raw (often took the ball too late and sent it into the doubles alley when Snickers forced her to move around, too many loose errors, poor match play in general), but has some potential for this level.

As for Snickers, meh. Very low 1st serve %, a bit sloppy early in the first set, but above all the red clay takes a lot of bite off her ground game; she was mostly counterpunching in the parts of the match that I saw, or at best trying to manoeuvre Begu out of position, rather than imposing her own game. Some very good FH angles, often from deep on the defensive, though.

LUVMIRZA

Cant forget that match. That first set from Vika was just fantastic. After that she slowly gave into her mental demons:( to loose that match...but Safina was defending awesome though.

Welcome to Top #5 Vika:cheer::cheer:

Corswandt

Indeed.

And the Estoril Open is the Turd Slam.

gmak
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Vika well done! :yeah: :woohoo: :D
never in doubt really :)

title #7
clay title #1
career high ranking #5

and the best is yet to come :drool:

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Aww yeah, Vika! :banana:

Back-to-back titles. :woohoo:

Break My Rapture
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Indeed.

:crying2:

Daniel
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Well done Vika :D

Curcubeu
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Irina with a great week here! :hug:
No shame in that loss, looked very tired, though!

Vika! Impressive stuff! :yeah:

Potato
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Vika :cheer:

Kairi
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Good Job Vika :cheer:

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Back to back titles! :cheer:

Vikapower
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Congrats Vika... :yeah:

Indeed.

WTH guys :lol: Marbella is the 6th slam anyways the 5th1/2... Trust me JJ fans were wrong. :angel: :lol:

C. W. Fields
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Congrats, Vika! :)
I hope you've turned a corner now and you'll be stronger both mentally and physically in the future.

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Indeed.

How about Baku and Tashkent :sobbing:

matty
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Finally Vika--in the top 5! Keep it going and win a slam this year!!!!

GoofyDuck
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
From purple Miami clay to red clay. Not very hard.

Good luck sliding on Miami surface.

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Finally Vika--in the top 5! Keep it going and win a slam this year!!!!

great post! :worship:

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
You're all wrong!!!!!

It was discussed few days a go, and MARBELLA IS 5TH SLAM!!!!

The 6th slam used to be Portoroz, but it was replaced by Baku. And Baku is now 6th slam.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Vika! :cheer:
First title on the evil clay! :cheer:
Top 5! :cheer:

I am so proud of her mental turn around since retiring in IW. Now please take a nice rest, you've earned it. :hug:

Bingain
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
vika :cheer::cheer:

ce
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
:dance:

simonsaystennis
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Vika :worship: Miami has one wonders for her confidence. Keep WINNING! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM
:woohoo: Welcome to the top 5 Vika! :bounce: Now please continue to stay healthy :p

rucolo
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Azarenka`s 2nd straight WTA title! :angel:

Begu now into Top 100 and directly into FO main draw! :eek:;)

Now help Belarus win the Fed Cup tie, Vika!

iGOAT
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Good week Wika :worship:.

Now bring this to red clay :) I'm glad she played this tournament at all after winning Miami, but she really played incredibly all week :worship:.

iGOAT
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM
You're all wrong!!!!!

It was discussed few days a go, and MARBELLA IS 5TH SLAM!!!!

The 6th slam used to be Portoroz, but it was replaced by Baku. And Baku is now 6th slam.
This.

BTW With Kim in doubt for the French, Wika is very likely to be a top four seed :cool:.

Shadowcat
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Congratz Vika! What an easy win! Yeah! :cheer:

Lachy
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:59 AM
:o :facepalm:

peanuts
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Expected result. Still it's nice to Vika winning a clay event (right after winning Miami) even if it's just an MM. :angel:

I watched nearly all of the first set, but then only the last couple of games of the second.

I liked what I saw from Begu - she's a power player, with a fairly big, though not necessarily very effective, serve (I suspect that Snickers' amazing return made it look much weaker than it really is), who can hit a very deep ball from her BH side and also from her FH side when given the time to set it up. Her BH DTL is a powerful weapon for her level, and even though she struggled to hit her western FH with consistent depth, when she looped it deep enough CC Snickers was either pushed back or fumbled her FH. She's still understandably raw (often took the ball too late and sent it into the doubles alley when Snickers forced her to move around, too many loose errors, poor match play in general), but has some potential for this level.

As for Snickers, meh. Very low 1st serve %, a bit sloppy early in the first set, but above all the red clay takes a lot of bite off her ground game; she was mostly counterpunching in the parts of the match that I saw, or at best trying to manoeuvre Begu out of position, rather than imposing her own game. Some very good FH angles, often from deep on the defensive, though.

I didn't see the final but I've seen her do this several times in the SF against Errani. :) I thought it was a good strategy to hit sharp CC angles to make the ball unreachable for Errani who is camped out meters behind the baseline.

Tuckii
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Gooo Vika :hearts:

Great form :drool:

The 2nd Law
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Yes :cheer:

Don't burn out though!