PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best tennis commentator of all time?

WTAtennisfan15
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.lgf.org.uk/assets/Uploads/_resampled/SetHeight275-microphone2.jpg

So who you thing that is the best of all time?
It would be great to get some samples too...
for example
5AWdFhypcgs

MK Ultra
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I liked the little I heard of Davenport as a commentator:yeah:I love her voice:hearts:
Currently watching the Marbella final, Super Tennis is broadcasting it, the italian commentators just don't shut up:fiery:

J4m3ka
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
For a high quality, well informed professional commentary you have to go with Lindsay.

For pure comedy however, I would choose Mary Carillo.

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I liked the BJK video till I saw it was made by LDVTennis.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Lindz ofcourse. BJK was also great, I do enjoy whenever I get to hear her commentate. There are actually very few commentators, if any, that you'll catch me complaining about. Occasionally when CarilloxJMacxThatotherguy are commentating together they talk a little too much, but other than that :shrug:

Territory
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Sam Smith is awesome, imho. Love her commentary - relaxed, informative, insightful, no cliches, doesn't rabbit on, always heightens the tennis-viewing experience. She's a breath of fresh air.

terjw
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Sam Smith

Payam
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Fred Stolle

Daruma.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Sam Smith. And for somebody whose is not a native English speaker, she is easy to understand. :yeah:

rockstar
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
For a high quality, well informed professional commentary you have to go with Lindsay.

For pure comedy however, I would choose Mary Carillo.

mary :worship: pam too :worship:

GwbD8xtHy_A

doktor
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:17 PM
i'm a pretty big sam smith fan too

Apoleb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Frew McMillan.

Informative, opinionated, funny, always try to say something new. Basically what every commentator should be.

and he liked Justine.

Svetlana)))
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM

GwbD8xtHy_A

I died at Pam's tactlessness.

JustPetko
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Katarzyna Nowak :hearts:

crazillo
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Sam Smith
Used to like Jana Novotna when she was commentating for the BBC.

saul1333
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
The noble Brad Gilbert

Pump-it-UP
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Lindsay or Chanda.

Sund7101
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Johnny Mac

Jane Lane
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Brad Gilbert amuses me at least. And Darren Cahill is alright.

That's about it.

Apoleb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
The noble Brad Gilbert

*vomits*

Come on. Frew McMillan all the way.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Serena :inlove:

_MvZxYBoSlI

AsUwZecxH-c

Craig.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
*vomits*

Not to sound like a noob, but who's that? :unsure:

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM
0SGKhh39_ak

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
*vomits*

If Frew is the older UK Eurosport guy with the slightly shrill voice, then yes.

I especially like the way he compares strokes/parts of both players' games. Very articulate with his comparisons and analogies.

I think the last match I watched with him commentating was Azarenka/Li at Australia.

Apoleb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Not to sound like a noob, but who's that? :unsure:

He's a Eurosport commentator. He's been on there since the 90s. Should NOT be confused with David Mercer or Chris whatshislastname.

I need to advertise for him a lot. He deserves it.

If Frew is the older UK Eurosport guy with the slightly shrill voice, then yes.

I especially like the way he compares strokes/parts of both players' games. Very articulate with his comparisons and analogies.

I think the last match I watched with him commentating was Azarenka/Li at Australia.

Yes, that's probably him.

Craig.
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
He's a Eurosport commentator. He's been on there since the 90s. Should NOT be confused with David Mercer or Chris whatshislastname.

Any vids?

young_gunner913
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Johnny Mac, Pam Shriver and Anabel Croft.

Vaxey
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Rennae Stubbs :D

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Yes, that's probably him.

Yes. He is good, but he is not around nearly enough as I would like him to be(at least not on women's matches). I typically only hear from him at the slams.

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Connors should definitely do more booth work. He's pretty good from the few matches I've watched with him in the booth.

Connors, Davenport, McMillan, and I am partial to Maria Jose Fernandez.

nevetssllim
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I like Frew McMillan and Sam Smith too. I always learn something new about the players when I listen to them because they're good at analysing the technical aspects, unlike commentators of the ilk of Jo Durie, Simon Reed et al. I like Lindsay too - she has a lovely voice. Plus I always enjoy John McEnroe's commentary at Wimbledon.

Apoleb
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I really liked Mauresmo's analysis last time around on Eurosport, even though she wasn't commentating. I need to catch her sometime on French Eurosport.

Navratilova is really underrated. OK she speaks a lot, but everything she dishes out is valuable and she almost never repeats herself. I'd take her any day over the ESPN drama whores or Tracy "Mrs. Obvious" Austin.

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Navratilova is good. There's this one Australian commentator that does Hopman Cup I like. She's not the greatest, but I like her.

And course the #1 is here with clip

PyzGT_XUKeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyzGT_XUKeM#t=0m58s

Mary Cherry.
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Anyone but Andrew Castle.

saul1333
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
*vomits*

Brad Gilbert is forever :p

Sammo
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Sam Smith and Lindsay Davenport are my faves

Aryman3
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Bohdan Tomaszewski of Poland(big talent as junior before WW2) was great at his best

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:06 PM

GwbD8xtHy_A

I didn't know Mel was a twin.

Sam Smith. And for somebody whose is not a native English speaker, she is easy to understand. :yeah:

I didn't know that! What's her mother tongue?

Sam is one of my favourites, I like alot of the Eurosport team, Jo Durie, Frew MacMillan, the other old guy I can't remember his name :p. I'm also fond of Tracy Austin.

RenaSlam.
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
It's like: Pam, are you a b**** or what?!!

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
AsUwZecxH-c

What is the context of this video?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I didn't know Mel was a twin.

Sam is one of my favourites, I like alot of the Eurosport team, Jo Durie, Frew MacMillan, the other old guy I can't remember his name :p. I'm also fond of Tracy Austin.

Poster meant her mother tongue not Sam's

Sombrerero loco
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
pam :hearts:

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Poster meant her mother tongue not Sam's

Sorry about that. I think I'm still drunk :unsure:

Crater718
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I find pretty much all tennis commentators irritating. They either say the same overused cliches over and over or their voices become just plain annoying.

However I find this the same with all or most sports from boxing, basketball, football, etc.

Potato
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Is McMillan the older guy who always does slow motion of player's strokes and compares them with the opponent? I love his technical analysis. He's my favorite :)

Doully
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I always get Jo Durie and Sam Smith mixed up :tape:. But I'm a fan of both.
All the Sam Smith love in this thread :inlove:.

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhkbjfGaqD1qcu1hm.gif

wildemu
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
love jason goodall and robbie koenig together. Unfortunately, they aren't assigned wta matches though.

Kairi
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:43 PM
mary carillo :oh:

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM
love jason goodall and robbie koenig together. Unfortunately, they aren't assigned wta matches though.

They are. They commentate during Doha, Roma and Madrid.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
0SGKhh39_ak

GwbD8xtHy_A

I change my mind; Pam easily. Also, that "We usually don't interview the loser" part to Oudin, that was the only highlight of that godawful match(Besides Oudin losing ofc,) And her pissing James Blake off at Wimbledon. :worship:Pam Shriver:worship:

Kairi
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I change my mind; Pam easily. Also, that "We usually don't interview the loser" part to Oudin, that was the only highlight of that godawful match(Besides Oudin losing ofc,) And her pissing James Blake off at Wimbledon. :worship:Pam Shriver:worship:

what'd she say to james? i totally missed that one:eek:

The Daviator
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Sam Smith. Perfect mix between personality/humour and sound tennis insight/analysis.

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I love the quirkiness from Pam S :haha:
Sam smith is alright.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM
what'd she say to james? i totally missed that one:eek:

:lol:

hJIc3PntSE8

"... uhh... James just yelled at me... "

:haha:

".. he's got rabbit ears"

4:30

tkutsaar
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:10 PM
My favorite is Virginia Wade. Unlike most other former players she seems to have no axe to grind. Thus anything she makes by way of an observation I take as gospel. Unfortunately American television has never had her as a commentator far as I can recall. The last time I heard her do commentary was in last year’s USO on the streaming matches on the USO website.

GoofyDuck
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM

hJIc3PntSE8

OMG that is hilarious! :haha:

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
My favorite is Virginia Wade. Unlike most other former players she seems to have no axe to grind. Thus anything she makes by way of an observation I take as gospel. Unfortunately American television has never had her as a commentator far as I can recall. The last time I heard her do commentary was in last year’s USO on the streaming matches on the USO website.

I love Virginia too. She admires Jankovic aswell :hearts:

Kairi
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM

hJIc3PntSE8

EPIC LMAO :lol::lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Jo Durie is the best in my opinion,especially when paired with Chris on Eurosport. Those two have great chemistry and aren't biased in their comments unlike all of the american commentators I hear on ESPN.

edificio
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Joe Durie is my favorite, because she is an expert in nonverbal communication (Chris Bradnam or Simon Whomever: "Blah blah blah blah blah"; Jo: "Mmmm.") and the less talk during the match the better!

Also, Brad Gilbert clearly loves the game, so even though he's ignorant about some aspects of the women's game, he can be very funny and outspoken.

Virginia is great, too, with a lovely voice (like Jo Durie), but she can be enticed into talking toooo much.

Lindsay is good, too, for fairness and technical know-how. Pam (in her way) is good, too, though she talks too much, but she says some of the funniest stuff.

Sam Smith drones on and on, but she's okay. I prefer Jo Durie.

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM
The noble Brad Gilbert

You must be using "noble" as a euphemism for "narcissistic." When Brad was born, the doctor said, "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert. It's an ego!"

wildemu
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM
You must be using "noble" as a euphemism for "narcissistic." When Brad was born, the doctor said, "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert. It's an ego!"

I heard Mrs. Gilbert gave birth to Brad in a bandwagon.

edificio
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Is McMillan the older guy who always does slow motion of player's strokes and compares them with the opponent? I love his technical analysis. He's my favorite :)

In the U.S. Cliff Drysdale does that (he's South African) a lot. Sometimes he gets carried away with it.

Serenita
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM

GwbD8xtHy_A
So mean :lol:

edificio
I can't stand Darren Cahill. He talks too much, and he went on and on at Wimbledon one year about Venus wearing clay shoes. Of course, he was wrong. Hate him and his nicknames.

Serenita
I like Virginia Wade.

saul1333
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM

I heard Mrs. Gilbert gave birth to Brad in a bandwagon.

He's a suave bastard and everyone knows it :p

shoparound
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Pam Shriver/Mary Carillo/Mary Jo Fernandez just for comedic purposes.

The Witch-king
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I can't stand Darren Cahill. He talks too much, and he went on and on at Wimbledon one year about Venus wearing clay shoes. Of course, he was wrong. Hate him and his nicknames.
Oh that was him?

He's a suave bastard and everyone knows it :p

I like him :tape:

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:17 PM
NObody really. Very few commentators highlights the positives in the games of the players they are watching (unless it is a Serena or Venus or Clijsters or Henin). Navratilova does it (and puts in the effort into getting the names right :tape: ) but she talks too much, and has too much analysis for my taste.

Bonfire
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Pam is the first name that comes to mind. She has a good balance of crazy, true love for the game and knowledge. She says things out loud that most commentators would think but not say and she doesn't seem to have much bias well except for maybe with Venus in the past cuz she was so proud to be labeled her "mentor" but overall Pammy keeps it real, sounds like she knows what she's talking about and isn't boring to listen to at the same time.

TensDesire
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Mary Jo Fernandez / Cliff Drysdale

Kipling
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM
It's totally subjective and depends completely on what resonates with your ear. Personally, I love to hear brash, opinionated personaltites who have something to say. I don't really care if I agree with them or not. As long as they are articulate, don't lisp, drool, bore me to tears, sound incompetent, and know something about tennis, I can appreciate it. And I absolutely love the "New York" school of broadcasters--Connors, John McEnroe, and the two best, in my opinion, Mary Carillo and--RIP, Vitas Gerulaitis. There was no better American tennis coverage in history than the early 1990's on USA Network when Vitas, Mac, Mary and a young Ted Robinson were analysts at the Open.

Passierschlag
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
I like the lady who is the commentator for this match. I don't know her name I'm afraid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6lalt5f6M&feature=related

Szczecin
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Rennae Stubbs did an awesome job at her commentating debut at this years Australian Open...

Very knowledgeable and informative... She is almost like the anti-Fred Stolle :help:

Potato
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Pam Shriver :bowdown:

Break My Rapture
Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Pam Shriver :bowdown:
I know right. Her shade at Wickmayer in one of the vids posted in this thread killed me so many times.

Apoleb
Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
I just want to say that after hearing Sam Smith in Stuttgart (and knowing now which one it is), I think she is so so so overrated. She's not this bad, but she's certainly not the best commentator of all time. Her voice doesn't sound good either.

Craig.
Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:19 AM
I just want to say that after hearing Sam Smith in Stuttgart (and knowing now which one it is), I think she is so so so overrated. She's not this bad, but she's certainly not the best commentator of all time. Her voice doesn't sound good either.

Are you talking about the Jankovic-Petkovic match? If so, I agree. :tape:

Apoleb
Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Are you talking about the Jankovic-Petkovic match? If so, I agree. :tape:

Yes, that one especially. She went on and on and on how Jankovic is so superior on clay, how the result of the match is very "illogical", and how Jelena was giving it to her or whatever. In reality, JJ didn't play that badly and anyone who followed her on clay for the last 3 years or something knows that she's susceptible to being outhit by someone like Petkovic.

Break My Rapture
Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I don't mind Annabel Croft though her repetitive tag questions after almost every statement she makes regarding a player ('s game) can get a bit tiresome. :lol:

David Mercer is hilarious.

Shivank17
Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Fred Stolle!

UncleZeke
Apr 23rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
John McEnroe for my money.

wally1
Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
I just want to say that after hearing Sam Smith in Stuttgart (and knowing now which one it is), I think she is so so so overrated. She's not this bad, but she's certainly not the best commentator of all time. Her voice doesn't sound good either.I agree, something about Sam Smith has always annoyed me, I prefer Jo Durie if anything. Best commentators I've heard recently are Goodall and Koenig.

How many here remember Dan Maskell, the guy who commentated for the BBC at Wimbledon for years and years? The best thing about him was that he hardly said anything by modern standards.