8. Caroline Wozniacki: 259–94 (73.37%)
9. Jennifer Capriati: 430–176 (70.96%) *
10. Ana Ivanovic: 277-114 (70.84)
11. Amelie Mauresmo: 544–226 (70.65%) *
=======
12. Dinara Safina: 336–149 (69.28%)
13. Jelena Jankovic: 432–220 (66.56%) :worship:

Bold - current
* - Permanent record (unless they comeback to ruin it:tape:)

================
Caroline isn't so bad after all. :yeah:
Jelena :help:

Yes, I did not include Graf, Seles, Navratilova etc. because they were from a different generation much older to be compared to the most recent ones.

The 2nd Law
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I cannot believe Ana isn't on the bottom, wow.

DragonFlame
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
caro is 254-9? ;)

The 2nd Law
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
You need to fix the error for Caro's stats, she has lost more than 9 times :lol:

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
so what

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Maria :worship:

Only 85 losses :eek:

Jelena :facepalm: Can someone delete her record? :facepalm:

eck
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Caro has 9 losses only?
Shut the front door.

C. W. Fields
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
caro is 254-9? ;)

It looks better than 254-93! :)

heart
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
amelie:facepalm:

Sharapovian
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Serena :worship:
Maria's is pretty good :eek:

Ana, at least she's not last :yeah:

thegreendestiny
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
caro is 254-9? ;)

Ooops, sorry. Corrected. :yeah:

Pops Maellard
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
During like 2009 I think Vee's record was 81% :sad:.

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:52 AM
TOP 6 :worship:

BlueTrees
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Dinara. :oh: At least she's not bottom. :p

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Top 6 :cheer:

Svetlana)))
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think it should be W-L record while number 1.

poulao
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Steffi is missing 900-115 ;)

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oh yes that top 4 is the best of the best. :bigclap:

Jankovic is always going to be at the bottom of lists like these. Statistically, if you look over her entire career it's pretty poor. I didn't need this thread to tell me she was the worst #1.

Steven.
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
huh? Maria is actually 383–95 (80.13%).

p.s. taken from the WTA site, I added up all her w/l from 2001 through to 2011.

also im scared. she's on the verge of falling out of the 80% career win rate category :sobbing:

AjdeNate!
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's very misleading to not have all #1s on there.

Monica Seles: 595 - 122 = 82.985%

Jajaloo
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I cannot believe Ana isn't on the bottom, wow.

Cannot believe? She won Bali AND Linz! :eek:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Just goes to show that the hype Jankovic received in 2008-2009 was completely over the top and undeserved.

Serena :bowdown:

Safe-From-Harm
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Empress is the best. She let others to be on the top.
That is her masterplan.

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Just goes to show that the hype Jankovic received in 2008-2009 was completely over the top and undeserved.

Serena :bowdown:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20300000/Rebecca-Black-rebecca-black-20377077-280-157.gif

Synth
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I actually think Mauresmo is so low, partially because she hung on so long past expiration date. She wasn't playing anywhere near her best level when she retired. Many losses in the last few years of her career, but still plowing through. Good for Amelie!

Jankovic and Safina both suffered prolonged slumps. I don't really think this means very much, because when they were No. 1, they were playing very very well. I certainly think Serena is the best player on that list, but if she showed up to more WTA events other than just Grand Slams, then I think her percentage would go down, and if Henin played on past her expiration date, or prolonged her "return", she would also drop down. I mean, so much of this is dependent on what events you choose to play, and when you choose to retire, as well as what players are on the scene when you first start playing, etc. It seems rather silly to look at this list and say, XYZ is a terrible player, etc.

Olórin
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Just to add some context to those stats: Wozniacki's are probably the most inflated as she is currently number one. If you'd taken Jelena's at the end of 2008 it would have been a lot higher (still not great for a #1). I think Hingis' was at least 1-2% higher before she came back in 2006 and Serena's was 86% at the end of 2003 when she went out to have her surgery.

Amelie's W-L looks so bad as she had a tough few years after the 2006 glory year. Players like Steffi and Justine who retire when they are top 5/number 1 don't tarnish their stats as much.

MH0861
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Queen LINDSAY with the most wins by far :worship:

Lady Jaja has already lost more times than Lindsay :spit:

QuietPlease
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Just to add some context to those stats: Wozniacki's are probably the most inflated as she is currently number one. If you'd taken Jelena's at the end of 2008 it would have been a lot higher (still not great for a #1). I think Hingis' was at least 1-2% higher before she came back in 2006 and Serena's was 86% at the end of 2003 when she went out to have her surgery.

Amelie's W-L looks so bad as she had a tough few years after the 2006 glory year. Players like Steffi and Justine who retire when they are top 5/number 1 don't tarnish their stats as much.

That doesn't make sense. Wozniacki is only 20 years old. Most players lose a lot of matches in their first couple of years on tour. Caro's percentage should go up the coming years, not down. Even if she loses her #1 ranking she should still be able to improve her percentage.

One good reason that Martina, Serena, Venus and Maria are this high is because they were teenage superstars. They went from juniors to winning slams. Seems impossible these days. We have no teenagers in the top 10. How many in the top 100?

WozTakesAll
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Just to add some context to those stats: Wozniacki's are probably the most inflated as she is currently number one.

Quite the opposite. You start your career with a very bad score, since you lose alot of your first matches, and as you go thru your career you can improve it. I think Woz will improve. Isent she 24-4 right now? thats 85%. But its impossible to say at what percentage she will end. Probably between 73% and 80% ;)

Potato
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Maybe the stat should be WHILE number one. JJ was on the tour for a very long time before she broke out, her stats are not very good :shrug: Aside from those 2 and a half years of glory, JJ has been very inconsistent.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Caroline's record will continue ti climb as she wins more and more matches :yeah: She could end up in the 80s pretty soon :yeah:

Her win/loss record should be 73.52% after Charleston if she beats Vesnina. That's 0.32% added because of one tournament. Her win/loss record in a year or two will be extremely impressive if she continues her dominance. At least 80%, maybe higher.

theFutureisNow
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
It's funny that this list neatly divides into the real and "fake" #1s- except for Caro, who is the only player in the middle.

Guess that means more arguing. Maybe we should start calling her "Caroversy".

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Caroline's record will continue ti climb as she wins more and more matches :yeah: She could end up in the 80s pretty soon :yeah:

Her win/loss record should be 73.52% after Charleston if she beats Vesnina. That's 0.32% added because of one tournament. Her win/loss record in a year or two will be extremely impressive if she continues her dominance. At least 80%, maybe higher.

Only slams winners have the right to be in the eighties. So no Push.

DefyingGravity
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Ana...boy, I thought she would have a 50-60% W/L record. I'll take this one though. She could catch up to Capriati!

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Thats not very probable. She will need to win around 216 matches and not lose any matches to do that.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Only slams winners have the right to be in the eighties. So no Push.
Well, she's currently not in the eighties, so you can sleep well.
When she does indeed win a slam, and she does get into the 80s, will YOU continue to say she doesn't belong, like currently? When she finally gets 80%, what will you say? What will you say?
Thats not very probable. She will need to win around 216 matches and not lose any to do that.
Okay, maybe not very soon, but she could end up in there in the future sometime if she continue her dominance.

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well, she's currently not in the eighties, so you can sleep well.
When she does indeed win a slam, and she does get into the 80s, will YOU continue to say she doesn't belong, like currently? When she finally gets 80%, what will you say? What will you say?

That's the only thing I'm asking right now but so far nothing is happening at majors. Not even a slam final.

eDonkey
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Both Jelena and Dinara found theirselves at no.1 after a tremendous series of losses so not at all suprised at the result.
I think stats of the no.1 holder would be more interesting - though most probably Maria and Venus would be on top as they had the least weeks at the top.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM
That's the only thing I'm asking right now but so far nothing is happening at majors. Not even a slam final.
She reached the US Open final :confused: Check your facts and get them right before posting, please :wavey: Getting such an easy thing wrong is embarrassing :wavey:

Joelina
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Empress is the best. She let others to be on the top.
That is her masterplan.

:hearts:

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM
She reached the US Open final :confused: Check your facts and get them right before posting, please :wavey: Getting such an easy thing wrong is embarrassing :wavey:

:lol: you idiot, I was obviously talking about her results while she was N1.
You don't need to remind me that she reached USO final in 2009 beating Wicky and Oudin on her way:tape:

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
You don't need to remind me that she reached USO final in 2009 beating Wicky and Oudin on her way:tape:
You could've said that. You didn't mention anything about her being #1 in your post. She has two semi-finals, fool, pretty much the same as a final :wavey: Also, she has 5 tier 1s etc., so of course her ranking is great and of course her match wins are piling up. Her opponents weren't the best back then, but she played well. She wasn't the same player she is now, so her opponents were harder than they would be now.
As for slams, she will win some soon. You haters seem to forget that she's only 20 and even if she goes the next 2 years with 0 slams, she is still only 22 and still has many many years ahead of her. She has so many chances to win slams in the future, it's hilarious. She could win A LOT.

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM
As for slams, she will win some soon. You haters seem to forget that she's only 20 and even if she goes the next 2 years with 0 slams, she is still only 22 and still has many many years ahead of her. She has so many chances to win slams in the future, it's hilarious. She could win A LOT.

She will, she could, she has many chances just make a choice:lol: btw she could also win NONE N1 with no slams under her belt, we've seen that before. She remind me Safina and JJ and where are they now? :shrug:

You could've said that. You didn't mention anything about her being #1 in your post. She has two semi-finals, fool, pretty much the same as a final.

Not the same at all but I can understand if you want to twist things in your way considering she can't reach any final anymore.

Direwolf
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
It would be better if you start counting 52 weeks prior to their number 1 ranking till present.

Like Venus started playing since she was like 14.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
She will, she could, she has many chances just make a choice:lol: btw she could also win NONE N1 with no slams under her belt, we've seen that before. She remind me Safina and JJ and where are they now? :shrug:

Not the same at all but I can understand if you want to twist things in your way considering she can't reach any final anymore.
Wozniacki already almost has a better career than Safina and Jankovic, and is continuing to do so. They are offensive baseliners. If offensive players go in a slump, it is very hard to come out of it. Wozniacki is more tactical and doesn't ballbash/hit the ball hard all the time, therefore if she goes in a slump, it'll be easier to come out of it for her. She won't fade like they did.

She has many chanes, she will take many of them. Sure, she will lose in a lot of slams, but she will also win a lot. Just watch.

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wozniacki already almost has a better career than Safina and Jankovic, and is continuing to do so. They are offensive baseliners. If offensive players go in a slump, it is very hard to come out of it. Wozniacki is more tactical and doesn't ballbash/hit the ball hard all the time, therefore if she goes in a slump, it'll be easier to come out of it for her. She won't fade like they did.

Jankovic maybe, but Safina no way she reached 3 GS finals.

She has many chanes, she will take many of them. Sure, she will lose in a lot of slams, but she will also win a lot. Just watch.

I will certainly not be there to watch that.

Matt01
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Plus Kuznetsova :rolleyes:

Pathetic basher :weirdo:

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Plus Kuznetsova :rolleyes:

Pathetic basher :weirdo:

No need to roll your eyes, I just forgot Kuznetsova.:lol:

Matt01
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
No need to roll your eyes, I just forgot Kuznetsova.:lol:

You did it deliberately, I know it :p

Olórin
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
That doesn't make sense. Wozniacki is only 20 years old. Most players lose a lot of matches in their first couple of years on tour. Caro's percentage should go up the coming years, not down. Even if she loses her #1 ranking she should still be able to improve her percentage.

Players have their best results while #1. Caroline is not going to be number one forever and her % is going to start decreasing from its current rate at some point. I am looking at the very long term, based on the patterns of every previous number one. You need to presuppose that Caroline can maintain or better her current winning rate for at least 3-5 seasons in order to assume her current percentage will rise and remain higher than currently. A bit like Henin did from 2003-2008. But even hers would have started going down if she hadn't retired (and then came back played for 6 months and got injured).

Every player gets to a point in their career where they start to lose more matches than when they were in their "prime" - when it comes will depend on the player - it will happen to Wozniacki unless she retires at #1/top 5. If she is as truly dedicated to the tour as her fans would suppose she won't go out on top but will keep fighting and playing until her drive is gone a la Navratilova, Evert and Seles. And Navratilova's latter years on tour brought her W-L %age down a couple of points despite tactical scheduling to her favoured surfaces.

Even if she loses her #1 ranking she should still be able to improve her percentage.
What on earth are you basing this on? Talk about not making sense....

She is #1 now, and has improved her percentage this year. She is doing well; but it takes a particular brand of sunshine optimism to predict she is going to dominate for the next 5 years though. Fortunately her fans seem to be blessed with this. The fact that she is "only 20" works both ways. It means she would have to maintain current levels for an awfully long time.

WozTakesAll
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Every player gets to a point in their career where they start to lose more matches than when they were in their "prime" - when it comes will depend on the player - it will happen to Wozniacki unless she retires at #1/top 5. If she is as truly dedicated to the tour as her fans would suppose she won't go out on top but will keep fighting and playing until her drive is gone a la Navratilova, Evert and Seles. And Navratilova's latter years on tour brought her W-L %age down a couple of points despite tactical scheduling to her favoured surfaces.

Caro will most likely retire when she has kids. She has said several times that family will probably be more important to her then tennis and that she wants kids while she is young. I expect a retirement at age 25.

doomsday
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Caro will most likely retire when she has kids. She has said several times that family will probably be more important to her then tennis and that she wants kids while she is young. I expect a retirement at age 25.

Why not 22? 25 is pretty late to have kids.
I'm gonna tell Tea to send her a letter and think about it.

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Why not 22? 25 is pretty late to have kids.
I'm gonna tell Tea to send her a letter and think about it.

Well, technically she is now on the best age to have baby.

QuietPlease
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Even if she loses her #1 ranking she should still be able to improve her percentage.

What on earth are you basing this on? Talk about not making sense....

Even if she loses #1 rank she could be a top 5 player for years. And surely a top 5 player can improve on a 0.732 winning percentage :shrug:

Potato
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Agreed, Wozniacki is currently the worst number one but that will change very soon, her resume at slams is still worse than JJ/Safina, the only thing she has over them is the number of titles and weeks at number one <-- which is irrelevant; once Caroline reaches a SF on clay/grass is when she'll be put above JJ or Dinara.

I agree with your point about her consistency due to not trying to change her game drastically but slowly. She is basically guaranteed a slam soon due to everyone in her generation simply sucking and the old guard is injured/radiated/doesn't care.

And JJ isn't an offensive baseliner, she's a total counterpuncher through and through.

Sammo
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Martina :hearts:

thegreendestiny
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Updated. Caroline +5 wins. :yeah:

angliru
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Agreed, Wozniacki is currently the worst number one but that will change very soon, her resume at slams is still worse than JJ/Safina, the only thing she has over them is the number of titles and weeks at number one <-- which is irrelevant; once Caroline reaches a SF on clay/grass is when she'll be put above JJ or Dinara.
True, Caro's GS results when summarized as finals, SFs etc. is worse (but far from bad):

Wins Finals SFs QFs GS appearances
Safina 0 3 2 2 33
Jankovic 0 1 5 1 30
Wozniacki 0 1 2 1 16
But Wozniacki has only appeared at 16 slams so far, and has not had a long career to get the big results. Safina has appeared at more than twice as many slams. Furthermore, Jankovic needed 21 grand slam appearances to reach a final at a Grand slam, and Safina needed 22! Yet Caroline's W/L record is already quite impressive at the slams (and better than JJ/Safina's)!

Grand Slam W/L records - some active players:

Name W L Ratio Slam appearances

Williams, Serena 199 30 0.8690 43
Williams, Venus 207 45 0.8214 52
Clijsters, Kim 123 27 0.8200 31
Sharapova, Maria 103 28 0.7863 31
Kuznetsova, Svetlana 103 33 0.7574 35
Wozniacki, Caroline 45 16 0.7377 16
Ivanovic, Ana 62 24 0.7209 25
Li, Na 48 19 0.7164 19
Jankovic, Jelena 75 30 0.7143 30
Zvonareva, Vera 73 32 0.6952 32
Radwanska, Agnieszka 43 19 0.6935 19
Petrova, Nadia 96 43 0.6906 43
Schiavone, Francesca 81 41 0.6639 42
Safina, Dinara 65 33 0.6633 33
Azarenka, Victoria 41 21 0.6613 21

Caroline's record is in fact the best among all active players who have not yet won a slam. Which again suggests (at least to me) that she's going deep at the slams and is very likely to have more SFs and finals in the future.

VeeJJ
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM
This is stupid and makes no sense. You have a stat on players win/loss WHILE THEY WERE #1. Not as a whole. They weren't #1's their whole career. So why should they be criticized for losing matches when they should have, like when they first started the tour or were injured.

Win/Loss while they were #1 would be a much more telling statistic.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Caro..lots of Hingis-itis going on there. Going deep, but not winning.

The 2nd Law
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:37 AM
When you consider that Ana's slump has actually now lasted longer than her time spent as a top player, her percentage is surprisingly high. What a waste these last few years have been :o

thegreendestiny
Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
I'm confused. I was supposed to update this thread but I found some discrepancy. Sharapova had 356-85 (w-l) record after Miami this year. I know she only lost 3 times after that and won only 18 matches. According to to the updates, she is now 401-98. :confused:

Steven.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
^ she won her 400th match vs. Cibulkova and lost her 98th match yesterday so yes, that is right.