PDA

View Full Version : Has Jelena Jankovic passed her peak? Will she ever win a major?

BepaMaria
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:46 AM
As we all know, Jankovic has been in the top 10 of the WTA rankings for a few years now, reaching the world #1 ranking in 2008. She reached the finals of the USO that year and looked like a bona fide GS contender. Ever since that breakthrough, she seems to have crumbled under pressure and dropped down the rankings.

Currently she is ranked #8 in the world, which is obviously much lower than what she is capable of achieving. Last year, she lost to players which she shouldn't be losing to, such as Benesova, Ammanmurdova and Diyas.

This year, her slump continued as she lost to Peng at the AO and failed to beat players which she owned in the past(Wozniacki). Initially, she led the h2h 3-0 against Wozniacki but she has lost to her twice in the past few weeks, more recently in the Charleston SFs in straights. In that match, she was the hot favourite to win as it was her favourite surface and Wozniacki's worst(clay). Wozniacki was as usual doing all the pushing and Jankovic just had to play at the level at which she played in their first 3 matches, but failed to deliver. Even Zahlavova-Strycova and Wickmayer posed more of a challenge for the world #1 during the tournament.

After so many losses to weak players and failing terribly on her best surface, I feel that this question needs to be addressed. Has Jelena Jankovic passed her peak already? Will she ever recover from her slump and win a major?

KBlade
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Yep. Her peak was 2008. She destroyed her confidence when she tried to change her game style.

Josh.
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Yep. Her peak was 2008. She destroyed her confidence when she tried to change her game style.

This. My god, this. :sobbing:

Temperenka
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:51 AM
:yawn:

It's really worthless to speculate over the prospect of Jelena winning a slam for the thousandth time.

To summarize what everyone will say:

"Jelena is so good. Best mover on tour!!!111 She'll always be capable of winning the French."
"Noooo Jelena is passed her peak. What a pusher!!!"

In reality, who the fuck knows? Francesca Schiavone will retire with a slam and Elena Dementieva retired without one.

She's capable... but that means nothing. So there is little to no reason to discuss this again.

rimon
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM
As we all know, Jankovic has been in the top 10 of the WTA rankings for a few years now, reaching the world #1 ranking in 2008. She reached the finals of the USO that year and looked like a bona fide GS contender. Ever since that breakthrough, she seems to have crumbled under pressure and dropped down the rankings.

Currently she is ranked #8 in the world, which is obviously much lower than what she is capable of achieving. Last year, she lost to players which she shouldn't be losing to, such as Benesova, Ammanmurdova and Diyas.

This year, her slump continued as she lost to Peng at the AO and failed to beat players which she owned in the past(Wozniacki). Initially, she led the h2h 3-0 against Wozniacki but she has lost to her twice in the past few weeks, more recently in the Charleston SFs in straights. In that match, she was the hot favourite to win as it was her favourite surface and Wozniacki's worst(clay). Wozniacki was as usual doing all the pushing and Jankovic just had to play at the level at which she played in their first 3 matches, but failed to deliver.

After so many losses to weak players and failing terribly on her best surface, I feel that this question needs to be addressed. Has Jelena Jankovic passed her peak already? Will she ever recover from her slump and win a major?

Good post, but three things that are wrong:

1. JJ led Caro 4-0.
2. Her best surface is hard court.
3. Caro's worst surface is grass.

As I said though, apart from that, good post. I think that her main problem is lack of confidence, and a very weak serve. She rarely gets free points off her serve, and makes it more important that she break her opponent.

Stern
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Her best chance was 2008 RG, she screwed it up

Mistress of Evil
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Nah, her period will always get in her way. :sad:

BepaMaria
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Good post, but three things that are wrong:

1. JJ led Caro 4-0.
2. Her best surface is hard court.
3. Caro's worst surface is grass.

As I said though, apart from that, good post. I think that her main problem is lack of confidence, and a very weak serve. She rarely gets free points off her serve, and makes it more important that she break her opponent.

Oh since she led the h2h 4-0 then thats even worse and is clearly an indicator that her best times are behind her:o.

And shouldn't JJ's best surface be clay? I mean, she has always done well on clay in the past and had good results in RG. To add on, she was favoured to beat Caro in their Charleston match and is one of the hot favourites for this year's RG.

As for your 3rd point, I agree with you. I forgot that pushers suck on grass and Caro got thrashed by Kvitova at Wimby last year.

But still, JJ had no reason to lose to Pushniacki at Charleston:shrug:, so I think she is currently facing a serious problem mentally and game-wise.

Seyz
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I think it was USOPEN 2008 against Serena Final where I saw JJ as definitely being a contendor for a major.
Serena was playing well and JJ was playiing well, and you could see her play up to the level of Serena during that match and she had her chances.
At that point in time I felt like she was the #2 player in the world (Behind serena) and that was her peak, but then everything went downhill after that.
She was so quick and was effectively a counterpuncher during that period.
That said she's still has a few years to go. I think it's possible. This year the field seems weaker, so I think she has her chances. FO or USOPEN both are opportunities.

*Nefertiti*
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I don't know. She has a good game but she can't concentrate enough to deliver.

Safe-From-Harm
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:32 AM
At this point, I really have to say that I really don`t know.
I don`t want to predict anything. It would be what would be.

It was nice to see some great JJ`s matches and winning, she has her chances to win GS.
Bad luck or mental game screwed it up. Shit happenes.
Somehow, as a realistic optimist, I still believe- till the end of her career :sad:

Pops Maellard
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I believe that Jaja can win a slam. :)

Jajaloo
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Her game really suffered when she switched from Reebok to ANTA.

But yes! Plenty of Marbella slams to win in the rest of JJ's career :cheer:

rimon
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Oh since she led the h2h 4-0 then thats even worse and is clearly an indicator that her best times are behind her:o.

And shouldn't JJ's best surface be clay? I mean, she has always done well on clay in the past and had good results in RG. To add on, she was favoured to beat Caro in their Charleston match and is one of the hot favourites for this year's RG.

As for your 3rd point, I agree with you. I forgot that pushers suck on grass and Caro got thrashed by Kvitova at Wimby last year.

But still, JJ had no reason to lose to Pushniacki at Charleston:shrug:, so I think she is currently facing a serious problem mentally and game-wise.

True. Losing to Caro on clay is really :o

I don't know. Hasn't she had her best GS results at the USO? I am not 100% sure of the stats, but I do know that it's the only final that she's ever made. Pushers in general seem to prefer hard court to clay, and especially grass.

madmax
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM
yup, she's clearly past her prime and incapable of playing consistently for the whole match anymore...earlier she could outrally ands outsmart any player of Wozniacki caliber, now she crumbles and sends the ball into the net or wide almost in every point. Unless she finds her consistency again, she is no threat in the majors.

Sombrerero loco
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:04 AM
i think jaja wont win a slam =S

Joelina
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM

i am not her fan so i don´t follow her, but how she changed her playing style? where´s the difference?

claypova
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Her best chance was 2008 RG, she screwed it up

dont forget 2010 :tears:

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Don't forget since Doha she is able to play in SFs. So this year even without win, and with yesterday's tragedy is good for her.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Like she had the ablility to win a Grandslam even in her peak :spit: :spit:

QuietPlease
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Don't forget since Doha she is able to play in SFs. So this year even without win, and with yesterday's tragedy is good for her.

True. So far 2011 is better for JJ than last half of 2011. There's still hope.

Josh.
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
i am not her fan so i don´t follow her, but how she changed her playing style? where´s the difference?

During the 08-09 off-season she tried to bulk up thinking it would give her more power, but it just fucked up her timing and confidence and she became a step slower. But someone more qualified could elaborate a bit more. :lol:

Miracle Worker
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
During the 08-09 off-season she tried to bulk up thinking it would give her more power, but it just fucked up her timing and confidence and she became a step slower. But someone more qualified could elaborate a bit more. :lol:

Originally said by The Empress:

I'm so happy because of this off-season. I worked so hard in Mexico. And first time I was able to run 10km without break...

Stevecw
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
She will recover from her slump, but has no chance of winning a major :)

DownInAHole
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I think it's a little ridiculous to say she is passed her peak and will never win a slam (I also think the same thing about Ivanovic and Sharapova). Right now it does not seem likely but so much of the game is about a players mentality and confidence. You also have to look at who is winning the slams: Kim and Serena. Kim is having injury problems and Serena hasn't played in nine months. There's a bog opening for the rest of the tour. We have no idea where Jelena's game will be by the time the French Open starts. With the field being so open she could squeak her way into the final. If she faces a first time finalist she has a great chance to win. Jelena is a few years older than Ana and Maria but they all have time to turn things around and get back to the top of the game. I don't know if any or all of them will but it's possible.

Uranus
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Nothing's really impossible these days. RG is up for grabs... if you are no choker like Sam or Dinara.

However, I do believe her peak days are behind her. She might get better achievements now thanks to the weak field, but I don't think she'll ever play as well as she did in 2008.

nfl46
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
She'll probably finish her career with one slam, but hey, one is better than none. :)

Linguae^
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Although she pisses us off al the time, Jelena is capable to win a Slam and is a threat for it even when she gets 40. :sobbing: ;)

TennisFan66
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM

This year, her slump continued as she lost to Peng at the AO and failed to beat players which she owned in the past(Wozniacki). Initially, she led the h2h 3-0 against Wozniacki but she has lost to her twice in the past few weeks, more recently in the Charleston SFs in straights. In that match, she was the hot favourite to win as it was her favourite surface and Wozniacki's worst(clay). Wozniacki was as usual doing all the pushing and Jankovic just had to play at the level at which she played in their first 3 matches, but failed to deliver. Even Zahlavova-Strycova and Wickmayer posed more of a challenge for the world #1 during the tournament.

Opens a thread asking a question about JJ. Yet didn't take long before you fell back to your usual ranting against Caro :rolleyes: As for the 'hot favourite' that must have been in your mind. Caro was 1.85.

PS Is clay now JJ's best surface? Would have thought it was HC.

PPS To the question. JJ is 25. There's still time.

MyskinaManiac
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is hating on Jelena for losing to Caro on green clay. Sure it's not Caro's best surface, but it's not exactly her least favourite. It certainly plays differently from red clay. Heck, the likes of Davenport used to win there... and that's saying something. Caro seemingly likes green clay.

I think Jelena's level of play will lift before the French. She's entered into a few too many events, but I think she can dominate the clay court season... certainly Caro will be knocked out by some journey-woman hack like years previous. Jelena has three good years left in her, her style of play allows it in my opinion.

empressionist
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I am a fan, and i am starting to doubt her chances. Yesterdays match was shocking. She played brainlessly, trying to be a power puncher when she clearly is not. Also she used to be such a smart player tactically, now that's gone too. Those are not the things that are easily changed back

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
She was a very good player in late summer, fall of 2008.
If you watch her matches in Moscow, she looked good enough to win majors.
She's not at that level since 2009 started. Unless she can find that form, she will probably stay where she is, which is still good, being a YEC player each year.

Synth
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Physically, she's certainly not past her peak.

It's all about whether or not she can get her mental game together and hold form for two grueling weeks.

poulao
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:37 PM
She almost looked scared of Caro in the Charleston SF, not a good sign :(

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is hating on Jelena for losing to Caro on green clay. Sure it's not Caro's best surface, but it's not exactly her least favourite. It certainly plays differently from red clay. Heck, the likes of Davenport used to win there... and that's saying something. Caro seemingly likes green clay.

I think Jelena's level of play will lift before the French. She's entered into a few too many events, but I think she can dominate the clay court season... certainly Caro will be knocked out by some journey-woman hack like years previous. Jelena has three good years left in her, her style of play allows it in my opinion.

After yesterdays horror show I can forgive her I think :(

I agree with the rest of your post. Hopefully she can turn things around on the red (like Rome last year) :drool:

tea
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
If she couldn't succeed in winning a slam during the weak, transitional era, there's no way she does so during the Wozniacki-Azarenka era of tennis.

Sammo
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I voted yes because I thought the question was Has Jelena Jankovic passed her peak? :o

Vikapower
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I don't follow Jelena as close but it seems to me that after her peak, loss of confidence... or whatever else happened to her, she's abled to take out 1 or 2 good performances a year but not as consistently as she used to in the past...

In 2010 she won IW and made the 1/2 of RG... IMO people musn't expect her to be a dominant force on the tour anymore... but if she can concentrate just well enough and peak just for the 2 weeks that are required to win a major... who knows... :shrug:

BepaMaria
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I don't follow Jelena as close but it seems to me that after her peak, loss of confidence... or whatever else happened to her, she's abled to take out 1 or 2 good performances a year but not as consistently as she used to in the past...

In 2010 she won IW and made the 1/2 of RG... IMO people musn't expect her to be a dominant force on the tour anymore... but if she can concentrate just well enough and peak just for the 2 weeks that are required to win a major... who knows... :shrug:

Good post. I agree that she most probably won't rediscover her peak form during late 2008, but I certainly don't see her winning a slam in her career. If she wasn't able to win one during her peak years of 2007 & 2008, I definitely don't see her winning one in her later years. She can try to play her best at majors, but similar to Wozniacki's case, she would always meet a hot player and crash out early from what I observe.

Monzanator
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
If Dementieva couldn't, then Jankovic most certainly won't, period.

Potato
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hard court is JJ's best surface, the thing is that there are so many people that are good on hard-court that it is downplayed. JJ's had a lot of success on clay because everyone else sucks shit on it. Her game is not tailored for clay though, and she cannot be called a clay courter. She's not as consistent as Evert, have the firepower like Ana or Graf, or the allcourt game that Justine, Schiavone and Sveta have. she's good on clay because she knows how to slide into a shot efficiently and not lose time.

it's possible for anyone to win a slam, if fran can anyone can.

Dominika23
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Jankovic past has peak :lol::lol::lol::lol:. Jankovic has not passed her peak I don't know why people all on jj ass. girl lost eight matches so far. her lost to Aravane Rezai was unreasonable but be real. the people who r past there peak that ya don't talk about is

1. Stosur ( why hell she in the top ten)

2. Kuznetsova (Wash up out ever since she won the FO)

3. Schiavone ( didn't Radwanska just murder her in Sony Ericsson Open 6-0 6-2, I bet she won't win the FO )

And to tell the truth JJ been in the top longer than any other woman so far and for her winning a GS, Hell if Schiavone anybody can lol and if she don't elena didn't win won and still went any as one of the best in woman tennis.

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Unfortunately true

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf1lzuRax01qzljg9.gif

Doully
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
If she couldn't succeed in winning a slam during the weak, transitional era, there's no way she does so during the Wozniacki-Azarenka era of tennis.

:weirdo:. Wozniacki era perhaps. But Azarenka? Yeah she's having a good couple of weeks but she's yet to even make a slam SF and before Miami this year had been pretty inconsistent. Jankovic has beaten Serena at the AO and Venus at Wimbledon. She's entirely capable but I'm beginning to worry that she is becoming some sort of has-been. Who knows. She was out of sorts all 2009 to the start of 2010 and then came up with the win in IW and had a good clay season(and RG). She's got as much chance as anybody at RG anywho. That draw will be wide wide open.

MaBaker
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, one of them never played in a slam final, and the other one barely pushed her way to her only final 2 years ago. You and World Life are like dumb and dumber.

Optima
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
It's all mental. Schiavone won a slam, anything can happen in tennis.

Henpova
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
:yawn:

It's really worthless to speculate over the prospect of Jelena winning a slam for the thousandth time.

To summarize what everyone will say:

"Jelena is so good. Best mover on tour!!!111 She'll always be capable of winning the French."
"Noooo Jelena is passed her peak. What a pusher!!!"

In reality, who the fuck knows? Francesca Schiavone will retire with a slam and Elena Dementieva retired without one.

She's capable... but that means nothing. So there is little to no reason to discuss this again.

This

But I hope JJ can win one...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Oh no, now that she has this thread she's been cursed and she'll never win a slam like all the other players who's been cursed with these "passed their peaks" thread (most notably Elena). :sad:

In all seriousness, like someone has said before, everything went downhill when she tried to bulk herself up and tried to become more aggressive. She's really up and down but if the draw falls apart for her in a slam, then I don't see why she can't—especially with the likes of the Belgians and the Williams out.

Optima
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
^ She brings her best against the Williams sisters and becomes super motivated, I feel.

toxina90
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah, one of them never played in a slam final, and the other one barely pushed her way to her only final 2 years ago. You and World Life are like dumb and dumber.

:oh:

faboozadoo15
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM
After yesterday's horror show, I just don't know. It's the nature of the loss that's puzzling. She looked absolutely brainless on virtually every important point.

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
After yesterday's horror show, I just don't know. It's the nature of the loss that's puzzling. She looked absolutely brainless on virtually every important point.

I think this is an important point. Jankovic's ability to win on the basis of her game alone, isn't really that questionable, especially on this surface, but for the past 18 months she has steadily declined as a match-player on tour.

She can still play superlative matches, and then completely be unable to reproduce her best when it really counts (see Rome 2010, RG 2010, Dubai 2011, Charleston 2011). It's most unusual for someone who used to be so efficient at winning matches she had full capability of doing so.

Apoleb
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I think this is an important point. Jankovic's ability to win on the basis of her game alone, isn't really that questionable, especially on this surface, but for the past 18 months she has steadily declined as a match-player on tour.

She can still play superlative matches, and then completely be unable to reproduce her best when it really counts (see Rome 2010, RG 2010, Dubai 2011, Charleston 2011). It's most unusual for someone who used to be so efficient at winning matches she had full capability of doing so.

She simply doesn't care that much. She's racking up prize money for her San Diego mansion.

дalex
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Doubters...

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eamdrc.jpg

The Empress has decided she'll have one or two mini peaks a year. Might as well happen at a Grand Slam.

Stevecw
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Not a hope, only 1 Serbian girl has been good enough to win a major and for sure it was not JJ & never will be!! :)

Optima
Apr 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Not a hope, only 1 Serbian girl has been good enough to win a major and for sure it was not JJ & never will be!! :)

:spit:

Lord.

young_gunner913
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM

Djokovic?

Kairi
Apr 12th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Djokovic?
Djoker cant be included anymore..not after..u know.his surgery :oh:

Safe-From-Harm
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Djokovic?

:lol:
:spit:

bandabou
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yep..Jelena losing in the manner she lost to Caroline on clay...just falling apart mentally :help:...is not good.

Game and mind just aren't there. But then again..a lots of things can happen between now and May.

Valanga
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Her match against Caro in Charleston is just an utter mess.

Dominika23
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:15 AM
It's all mental. Schiavone won a slam, anything can happen in tennis.

and now li na they both 30 jelena will get her slam

Stamp Paid
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Mentally weak. Just like Demented and Safina. Never win a slam.

Stonerpova
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:25 AM
It's all mental with her. In the past she was a drama queen who got distracted easily, but she still competed very well. Now when she gets distracted she becomes listless and seems to not give a shit. That's gotta change if she wants to get anywhere near another slam final

duhcity
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:26 AM
She hasn't exactly passed her peak.

Her FH, when on, is better than it was in 08. Her BH, when on, is better. Her serve is miles better. Her touch and volleys are still tragic, and her movement is arguably a step slower. She seems fitter too, and looks to be in great shape.

However, she's completely mentally withdrawn. Doesn't seem like she wants it, doesn't seem like she'll fight for it. She's a better player today on the ground, but not in her head

Graftard
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:39 AM
It's all mental with her. I remember watching young and fearless JJ back in 2006 when she would come to the net at every opportunity, pummel her forehand and would hit sizzling BHs down the line with effortless power.

JJ could actually be multi slam winner on hard/clay had she been strong mentally. She's a much better and well rounded player than Ivanovic. Much much better.

Stonerpova
Jun 10th, 2011, 03:51 AM
It's all mental with her. I remember watching young and fearless JJ back in 2006 when she would come to the net at every opportunity, pummel her forehand and would hit sizzling BHs down the line with effortless power.

JJ could actually be multi slam winner on hard/clay had she been strong mentally. She's a much better and well rounded player than Ivanovic. Much much better.

She never had Ivanovic's raw power. Or the big serve.

Steven.
Jun 10th, 2011, 04:01 AM

:unsure: Wozniacki's 'era' is the transitional era.

Hopefully, JJ can win just one slam in the future. Hell, hopefully she, Ana and Maria can all win at least one slam from here on out. :awww:

18majors
Jun 10th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I'm afraid JJ has no chances.

JAS_
Jun 10th, 2011, 06:54 AM
The problem with JJ is that when the field is strong, she gets overpowered by some of the strongest hitters or by stage fright, and really somehow needs some luck to avoid some of them. But when the field is week, and she is bound to avoid them, she doesn't feel like playing.

Polikarpov
Jun 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM

:unsure:

BepaMaria
Jun 10th, 2011, 08:03 AM
After watching her match against Schiavone at RG recently, I am convinced that she has passed her peak and will never win a slam. Her forehand has become the worst on the tour and her backhand isn't any much better either. All she did in that match was moonball forehands to create easy putaways for Schiavone. And that doesn't look like it's gonna change.

She is now a pusher and pushes even more than Pushniacki, the queen pusher of the WTA, it is embarrassing to watch:facepalm:. She has become a mental midget, folding like a cheap tent in tight situations and shows no fight or determination out there on the court. When the chips are down, she gives up, just like in that Schiavone match. With a game and mentality like that, it is only enough to reach the quarters or semis at most.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
:awww:

Setsuna.
Jun 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I really don't know. She don't bother anymore.

Specter
Jun 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
It just doesn't feel like she has any interest in going to her limits mentally and physically for 7 matches in a row. She'll take the easy matches when they come, but when the going gets though, JJ turns around and walks back to a place where it's nice and cozy. You don't become a champion without a champion's attitude, and that's why I see her retiring without a slam to her name.

sluggahjells
Jun 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Andrei Pavel has motivated her, and to me, she's playing better than she did even in 2008.

The problem for her is, the game has gotten better, with more defensively sound players at the top now that do it better than her.

Players MAKE her come up with the pace more times now, like Wozniacki does against her. Jankovic is forced to get out of her backboard preferred mentally, and has to attack.

Once she attacks, she is prone to make more errors because she can't hit her forehand pass anyone with decent to good defense, and she gets frustrated.

Smitten
Jun 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
:lol: @ some of her delusional fans saying she isn't passed her peak.

Jankovic is past her peak. Physically she's a step slower than she was three or four years ago which is everything to someone with a game like Jelena's. Mentally she's completely burned out(show in all her Wozniacka losses) in the drudgery of the tour due to the level of concentration of play it takes for a pure counterpuncher to continuously succeed.

Jankovic is already 26. She'll be 27 next year. A player who bases their game on movement, footspeed, and consistency is always going to start declining around this age. Very rarely can they summon the form to win a slam as they get older because the requirements to play multiple grinding matches is too steep.

Potato
Jun 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM
She doesn't want to win :shrug: Once she faces anyone who can challenge her she just folds and goes home.

Andrei Pavel has motivated her, and to me, she's playing better than she did even in 2008.

The problem for her is, the game has gotten better, with more defensively sound players at the top now that do it better than her.

Players MAKE her come up with the pace more times now, like Wozniacki does against her. Jankovic is forced to get out of her backboard preferred mentally, and has to attack.

Once she attacks, she is prone to make more errors because she can't hit her forehand pass anyone with decent to good defense, and she gets frustrated.

I disagree that JJ has improved. The only thing that has improved is the serve. Everything else has been a mess - but not because the technique is bad, but because there is something wrong with her head. She reverts from ballbashing to pushing to trying to come to net where she is CLEARLY uncomfortable multiple times throughout a match.

*JR*
Sep 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
On some world she'll win a Slam. (Probably not this one). :help:

carling
Sep 4th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Yes and hell, no.

AkademiQ
Sep 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Forget even winning a major. She needs to make it to a major final at this point.