PDA

View Full Version : Who Can Win All Three Slams Left

tkutsaar
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM
This poll was inspired by the apparent jinx thread predicting Caro to win all three slams. The premise of this thread and poll is that suppose God (and if you do not believe in the existence of God then letís say a soothsayer you knew without a doubt was absolutely 100% accurate in his forecasts) came to you and said:

ďOne woman player is going to win all three slams left this year, but I am not telling who. You can obviously get long odds from betting shops and thus make your fortune. However you cannot make several bets of different players, you can only pick one player (if you violate this rule you will die of a heart attack). Likewise after the FO if your picked player is not the winner you cannot pick the FO winner to win Wimbledon because you will also die of a heart attack.Ē

I have listed as choices the current top 9 with the exception of Schiavone as she cannot possibly do it even in her fansí wildest imaginations. I substituted Venus Williams in her place. I have left off Serena- as she is not going to play FO and is doubtful for Wimbledon as I understand the latest news of her condition. And of course the 10th choice is other and perhaps you could designate your other.

As for me the choice is between Caro and Clijsters. I cannot make the case for anyone else. As Kim has won the AO this year I donít see her as the winner of the grand slam to put her in the heady company of Steffi, Margaret Court and Maureen Connolly.

As for Caro yes I know she has not won a slam but you might be interested in knowing her results at these three slams. She first appeared in the FO in 2007 (when she was 16) and has contested every slam since. Her record for these slams these past four years has been in order:

FO: 1st Rd; 3rd Rd; 3rd Rd; and QF.
W: 2nd Rd; 3rd Rd; 4th Rd; and 4th Rd.
USO: 2nd; 4th; RUP; and SF.

As you can see her results uniformly has improved in each slam- I bet those of you who do not think she will ever win a slam were not aware of this factoid. You may quibble about 2009 USO where she was the finalist and only got to the semi finals last year but then again she was kind of lucky in 2009. Oudin eliminated Dementieva so Caro did not face her in the QFs where she probably would have lost. And Caro got another break in the semi finals meeting Wickmayer. So really her 2010 run was probably an improvement if anything she was seeded 1st whereas she was seeded 9th in the 2009 tourney.

Ergo if anyone were to win the three remaining slams I would put my money on Caro. How about you?

Sp!ffy
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Serena?

Bonfire
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I think Caro will win AT LEAST one of the next three slams :bounce:
Kim might win one more too.
Otherwise...no clue

tkutsaar
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I am sorry I've never submitted a poll thread before and I screwed up twice. As you can see I left out the option of other and I'm not going to try again. If you really want to vote for other just say so and perhaps we can add that when the FO rolls around and this poll closes.

tkutsaar
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I think Caro will win AT LEAST one of the next three slams :bounce:
Kim might win one more too.
Otherwise...no clue

No thatís a cop out. First of all it is a no brainer to predict that no one will win the remaining three slams. This fantasy poll supposes someone will. If you knew one was going to win all three then who would you pick?

tkutsaar
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Serena?

Surely it canít be Serena or do you have knowledge that Serena will be healed in time to play the FO? I have not seen any info that she will be ready other then I think that she has not officially withdrawn.

Bonfire
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM
No thatís a cop out. First of all it is a no brainer to predict that no one will win the remaining three slams. This fantasy poll supposes someone will. If you knew one was going to win all three then who would you pick?

umm...but even though it would be awesome and also possible for Caro to win the next three...my feeling is that no one player will win all of the next three slams and I try to avoid flat out fabrication. So I guess I can't be a part of this poll :shrug:

Bonfire
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM
BUT if I had to pick one player...it would be Caro:cool:
don't want to throw shade to a fellow Caro fan;)

*Nefertiti*
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:27 AM
If I have to chose one player that may win all the 3 slams left, it would be Kim. She is the only one that has an edge over the other top players in a consistent way.

djbueno
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:33 AM
The obvious choice is Kim, but Venus can win all three, if she is completely healthy and focused. RG would clearly be the most difficult, but if she can survive her "off" days, the draw could possibly open just like last year with Schiavone. With Serena most likely out for Wimbledon, this is Venus's tournament to lose. She plays with such confidence and belief in her game on grass that most players can't stop her. (except Pironkova) Finally comes the US Open, which she nearly won last year. Again Venus loves Flushing Meadows and if focused and fit, the only players that can challenge her is Kim or Serena.

KBlade
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM
The obvious choice is Kim, but Venus can win all three, if she is completely healthy and focused. RG would clearly be the most difficult, but if she can survive her "off" days, the draw could possibly open just like last year with Schiavone. With Serena most likely out for Wimbledon, this is Venus's tournament to lose. She plays with such confidence and belief in her game on grass that most players can't stop her. (except Pironkova) Finally comes the US Open, which she nearly won last year. Again Venus loves Flushing Meadows and if focused and fit, the only players that can challenge her is Kim or Serena.

I really don't know about Wimbledon. That devastating loss to Pironkova has to at least have planted the seed of doubt in her mind, even on her favourite surface.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
:spit:

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
If one is going to do it, sadly it would be Kim. But that would give her five in a row(including a Wimbledon,) and I just can't...

Sombrerero loco
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
caro will win at least one^^

Lachy
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Bwaaaheeeeeee

olivero
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Noone. Honestly it's impossible for any player at the moment. Even for Kim.
But then again...miracles do happen.

MiiMo
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Guys, face it, Caroline is never gonna win a single slam in her career :)

nfl46
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Guys, face it, Caroline is never gonna win a single slam in her career :)

Hmm, if she's healthy throughout her career, she will DEFINITELY win some grand slams. You are clearly on some form of drugs if you believe she won't win any slams in her career.

poulao
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I honestly don't think Caro can do it this year, but she might be as good a bet as any for FO ;)

SoClose
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wozniacki

Linguae^
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Where's Ana? ;)
But JJ :kiss:

QuietPlease
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Noone can do it this year.

But if God says so it must be Caro. I don't see any other having the consistency throughout the year.
Serena might do it, but I'm pretty sure she wont be ready for the French.

RenaSlam.
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Serena, with one foot.

Galsen
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I really don't know about Wimbledon. That devastating loss to Pironkova has to at least have planted the seed of doubt in her mind, even on her favourite surface.

well , she was injured so I don't think it's a big deal. We'll see it later this year if it really was

MiiMo
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hmm, if she's healthy throughout her career, she will DEFINITELY win some grand slams. You are clearly on some form of drugs if you believe she won't win any slams in her career.

Well, she's always been healthy during her career. She played two grand slam in a row as the top seed. She did not make it. Poor Caro.
At RG 2010, she lost to Schiavone, come on, who thought that Schiavone would beat her and win. No one.
At Wimbledon 2010, she lost to Petra Kvitova on a termendous scoreline. Pathetic.
At the Aussie this year, she reached the semis and lost to Li Na, after HAVING A MATCH POINT.

Face it guys, I do not hate Caroline, but she's mentally weak and has no real weapons to make it in a Grand Slam. That's my point, and I'll change my mind when this pretty girl proves me wrong. Waiting for her.

DefyingGravity
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
None of the above really. I feel like Venus is going to take Wimbledon, because she's gonna be PISSED she didn't beat Pironkova on her favorite surface. Kim is more than likely going to take the U.S. Open.

Roland Garros is the only one that TRULY is up in the air. We can still put very clear favorites at the other two left over. Paris is going to make someone (Wozniacki or someone else, maybe Vera) very very happy.