PDA

View Full Version : The Russians and Their BHs

Jane Lane
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Why is it that most of the top Russians have better BHs than FHs? I'll leave Kuznetsova out but off the top of my head, Sharapova, Bepa, Dinara, Chak and Vesnina all seem to favor their BHs.

Is it a tactical/form thing or how they're instructed?

Discuss.

Sp!ffy
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I think...people are just born with a better FH or BH...:shrug:

Bismarck.
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I think it's because they tend to be all such flat hitters, and flat hitters with two-handed BHs tend to get more control as well as racquethead speed from that wing, so they'd be more comfortable with it.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Dementieva had a better FH :p
btw good part of tennis players have a better BH so :shrug:
i don't remember a russian player with one handed BH :scratch:

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Dementieva ???? :happy: Her backhand was always her weaker wing.

To answer your question, it is more natural to swing away from your body, as opposed to into, like on a forehand. Also, the 2 hands means a more secure and forgiving shot.

Jane Lane
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM

Dementieva ???? :happy: Her backhand was always her weaker wing.

To answer your question, it is more natural to swing away from your body, as opposed to into, like on a forehand. Also, the 2 hands means a more secure and forgiving shot.

Fine :p I took her off.

Patrick345
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I thought you wanted to talk about their bras. Not interested in the topic now.

BlueTrees
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Petrova's backhand is definitely better than that fugly forehand of hers. :o

LCS
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Backhands are more mechanical shots which supposedly means they're less prone to fall apart.. whereas hitting a forehand has a lot more to do with the amount of confidence the player has at the moment (see Masha).

Shonami Slam
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
"better" as in more consistent? stronger? produces more angles? more stable going cross-court? steadier volley?

you've named too many players and included them under the category of nation.

you want to name a russian quality - say headcases or brainfarters, but the forementioned have varied backhands.

Jane Lane
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM
"better" as in more consistent? stronger? produces more angles? more stable going cross-court? steadier volley?

you've named too many players and included them under the category of nation.

you want to name a russian quality - say headcases or brainfarters, but the forementioned have varied backhands.

More solid, what the commentators would call their primary "weapon." Better?

Dominic
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I don't agree that they're better, most of these players can generate more power with their forehand and hit more winners off that wing than the backhand. And it's the same for most tennis players.

gc-spurs
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I think its to do with where they were born and the conditions and environment they were raised in, which is how they got strong BHs. :oh:

Apoleb
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I think most female players, at least those in the top 50 or so, have better and more solid backhands than forehands.

In general, more things can go wrong on the forehand side because the flexor muscles are involved rather than the extensors. There's a lot more fine control in the wrist, shoulder and elbow joints during flexion in comparison to extension. It's harder to maintain such tight coordination when there's so much flexibility at each joint.

I'm not sure what can explain the male/female differences, if they do exist.

tennis-insomniac
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
To explain why the backhands of not only Russians but also many young players are becoming stronger, all due to the tactics which they are instructed. A lot players of younger generation, who mostly spent their time developing their tennis skills in USA, such as Maria, Vika, Jelena, all use their left hand to make more effective backhand shot. Dinara, Anna Chak and Petrova, which are mentioned, are all trained by the same coach; therefore, their backhand techniques might find a resemblance, which I assume is similar to Maria's effective backhand technique, however, their nationality is irrelevant. All young players have developed much more effective backhand skills than older generation.

I don't like to use a word "better", to compare their backhand and forehand. For top players (i.e Vera, Maria, Dinara) forehands are useful and skilled as much as the backhand side, therefore, they expect to play their best. It depends on, though, in some moments, player can be mentally or physically weak. It forces them to select the most reliable shot to make; this entirely depends on a person.

PerfectForm
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM

You might soon :) Junior Margarita Gasparyan who was part of the winning Junior Fed Cup Team last year (alongside Daria Gavrilova & Victoria Kan) hits a single handed backhand. I was quite surprised to see that.

King Halep
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I thought you wanted to talk about their bras. Not interested in the topic now.

Was that why he leave Kuznetsova out :oh:

Macomere
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:09 AM

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6798350/oh-i-see-what-u-did-there.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Spongebob-Face

Jane Lane
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM

She ( :) ) left out Sveta because her BH is utterly useless. ;)

King Halep
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM
She ( :) ) left out Sveta because her BH is utterly useless. ;)

:oh:

iPatty
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:25 AM
You forgot the most obvious example...Vera Dushevina.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:30 AM
The list goes on: Kirilenko, Pavlyuchenkova, Petrova, Kleybanova, Makarova...

I guess in general, a 2-handed player has at least a more reliable backhand, even if the forehand is more explosive.

*Nefertiti*
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:30 AM
It is more like why do they have weak FH?

thegreendestiny
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Uncle Yeltin forbade single handedness.

RR-87
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Youzhny :p :p :p

FORZA SARITA
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM
You might soon :) Junior Margarita Gasparyan who was part of the winning Junior Fed Cup Team last year (alongside Daria Gavrilova & Victoria Kan) hits a single handed backhand. I was quite surprised to see that.

Youzhny :p :p :p

he's not a woman :p

Sean.
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I don't like to use a word "better", to compare their backhand and forehand. For top players (i.e Vera, Maria, Dinara) forehands are useful and skilled as much as the backhand side, therefore, they expect to play their best. It depends on, though, in some moments, player can be mentally or physically weak. It forces them to select the most reliable shot to make; this entirely depends on a person.

Vera, Maria & Dinara all prefer their backhand. :lol:

HowardH
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:48 PM
This is more a core difference between the women's and the men's game than the tendency of any particular country. It's far more common among girls to prefer the bh over the fh. The one handed forehand has a large arc, utilises major muscle groups, and most people agree that it has the potential to have more power. Girls in general tend not to be able to exploit and control the power potential of the forehand. The pro men as a whole have the strength and technique to utilise the forehand properly.

There are always exceptions of course. But go to any tournament, from juniors through to pros, and you'll see this trend. The boys normally have big fhs and run around the bh a lot. The girls normally do not have such big fhs, and consequently prefer the solidity of the two handed bh. The fh that the men have developed is a key difference between the mens' and womens' games. Stosur's fh is probably the closest so far to anything like the mens' fhs, producing spin and pace together. Her extremely strong physique for a women no doubt helps her to achieve this. Too bad about her bh and her tendency to frame balls.

I also suspect that having flexibility can help the two handed bh, which is where girls can shine. And the Russians are good at training girls to be flexible. Weaker 2 handed bhs like Stosur tend to be a bit stiff.