PDA

View Full Version : Marbella SF: Irina-Camelia Begu def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 3-6 7-6(3) 6-4

Miracle Worker
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
:eek:

Amazing match from Irina :worship: Another Romanian has her tournament...

And I guess she will debut in TOP100 next week...

They spent on court 3h10m :eek:

Mynarco
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
You got there first :sobbing:
WOW Begu :eek:

cellophane
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Begu played an excellent last game... 3 winners to get to MP

Hian
Irina :worship: After this week, I really like her :yeah: Romania is really lucky to have her.
Sveta... another wasted opportunity.

Vee Williams
wow. this is a surprise. but svetlana :rolleyes:

Svetlana)))
I really don't know what I did in my past life to be such a hardcore Sveta fan. Just shitty from Sveta, fought so hard just to throw the match away. With that second serve there's no way you're gonna be able to compete with the best Sveta :help:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sveta :facepalm:

FORZA SARITA
congrats Irina :yeah:
you expect a former RG Champion to win a marathon of over 3 hours but Sveta always prove you wrong :weirdo:

Blu€
Sveta:spit::hysteric:

Begu :yeah::worship: awesome week!

Sharapovian
Begu :eek:

Jane Lane
I like Begu. She's cute. If she was playing anyone else, I'd be rooting for her to cap the Cinderella run tomorrow. Hope to see a lot more of her. :yeah:

Ellery
Sveta :haha: :tape: :help:

Michael!
1st round almost lost to Barthel and now lost to Begu :o
Why donīt you go and play some challenger tournaemnts, totally useless these days :facepalm: :o

Noctis
Begu is good but she's not that good.
Sveta :tape:

BartoLiNa
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Begu has a nice serve and forehand. Sveta was really unpredictable, sometimes she was great other times she was sloppy which made it hard for Begu to get into a rhythm.

This match was Kuznetsova's to win or lose imo, but It's always nice to see a qualifier do well so good for her.

HuHu
http://i54.tinypic.com/11s03gp.jpg

iGOAT
Oh Sveta :haha: shows that she can lose to ANYone.

Irina-Camelia though :worship::eek: she was WAY better than I expected! A bit hit-or-miss, but definitely should be top fifty, at least. I hope she plays like this tomorrow so she can make it close with Wika :).

Curcubeu
IRINA!!! :woohoo:

Superb, Amazing, great! What a run!! :kiss:

I'm speekless! What a fight over 3 hours! Stunning! :sobbing:

The paralels to Alex' run at Warsaw are not deniable! Now nothing to lose in the final!

Good luck! :cheer:

Top 100 next week! :yeah:

Break My Rapture
LOL Svetlana still a disastrous mess.

Completely random run from Begu, congrats! She'll probably be gassed for tomorrow's final though.

Bismarck.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
It seems almost impossible to believe that two years ago she won a Grand Slam on this surface. Now she's just absolutely nothing on it.

I only saw the second half of the last set, but Begu seems to be a strong player. I hope she does well in the final.

Reptilia
Kuz fans def have it rough :hysteric:

ciprianned
begu - top 10 material :D

Belmont Lad
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oh Sveta, no. :facepalm:

Patrick345
That break to win the match was evertyhing that womenīs tennis should be.

From 0-15

Begu plays a brilliant extreme backhand slice to expose the tired legs of Kuznetsova.

15-15

Begu attacks a short ball of Kuznetsova and hits a controlled forehand winner.

15-30

After a long rally defending Begu turns the rally and wins the point with a great forehand down the line.

15-40

Kuznetsova responds with a great forehand crosscourt winner.

30-40

Begu attacks with two long forehands that FORCE the error from Kuznetsova. Game, set and match.

Great stuff. Hope the girl can play like that more often, hopefully itīs a breakthrough for her and not just a fluke.

SVK
43 BPīs :hearts:

young_gunner913
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Sveta :smash:

HenryMag.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
First time watching Begu and OMG! I love her already :hearts:

Wonderful strokes she has, she can hit from both sides, she runs around her BH too (what a rarity nowadays on WTA), amazing BH slices sometimes, great serve (especially that wide kick serve on ad side, she can try to S&V in the future with that serve) and great attitude, never angry or anxious with all the lead losses she had during the match (4-0 bp up to 5-6 in the 2nd set and 3-0 to 5-4* in the 3rd).

She was tired and losing her focus in the middle of the 3rd set when she got from 3-0 to 3-3 15-40, but she regrouped and fought to win it!

Hope she's not dead for tomorrow, what a match!!!

claypova
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
AHHAHAHAHAHAH Sveta :haha::hysteric::spit:

Begu :cheer::kiss:

Shvedbarilescu
Amazing. A star is born. Irina is going to be able to look back on this match with fondness, joy and, yes above all else pride, for the rest of her life.

What a magnificent and totally deserved way to break into the top 100.

Irina-Camelia Begu showed showed so much, both in terms of skill and in terms of heart in this match that I think anyone who watched could not help but be both impressed and full of admiration for her. One of the most exciting and enjoyable matches I've seen this year. It's going to be fascinating to see how well Irina plays the rest of this year.

As for Sveta, hey, she got beat by a girl currently ranked 138 in the world but she actually played very well and contributed greatly to a magnificent tennis match. Sveta fought hard till the end and can hold her head up high. Nothing for her to be ashamed about at all.

silvamarius
what a shame... :tape:

Landon92
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Kuznetsova is really useless.
Congrats Irina :)

Shonami Slam
sveta gave begu every chance to hit crisp clean forehands, she hit puffy forehands and didn't do enough with her dropshots.

she is still not on good form, i must say.

tennis-insomniac
Sveta :sobbing:

Begu :bigclap: never heard of her before really, but it must be a big joy for her to make WTA final debut. This might give her a good start to build her career like Alex. It seems Vika has huge chance to capture her first clay title now.

GO VIKA !!

HenryMag.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM
One of the most exciting and enjoyable matches I've seen this year. It's going to be fascinating to see how well Irina plays the rest of this year.

Totally agree, when you expected Kuznetsova to prevail with her experience and status, Irina come back and proved me/us wrong with great shots and a winning attitude.

RenaSlam.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I will never understand Svetlana Kuznetsova.

homogenius
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
oh my
Svetlana :facepalm:

Curious to see Begu's game tho.Hopefully she'll paly a decent final against Vika.

pedropt
Oh Sveta :facepalm:

Another wasted oportunity...

spiceboy
Irina, see you in Barcelona :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg

Kuznetsova will never understand Kuznetsova

Mistress of Evil
new low reached for Sexlana :spit:

Bismarck.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Amazing. A star is born. Irina is going to be able to look back on this match with fondness, joy and, yes above all else pride, for the rest of her life.

Irina-Camelia Begu showed showed so much, both in terms of skill and in terms of heart in this match that I think anyone who watched could not help but be both impressed and full of admiration for her. One of the most exciting and enjoyable matches I've seen this year. It's going to be fascinating to see how well Irina plays the rest of this year.

As for Sveta, hey, she got beat by a girl currently ranked 138 in the world but she actually played very well and contributed greatly to a magnificent tennis match. Sveta fought hard till the end and can hold her head up high. Nothing for her to be ashamed about at all.

Yeah, there is. If she were the world number 50 or so then this would have been a solid performance, nothing to be disgusted about. But she's not, is she? She's a claycourt Slam holder who had been consistently top-20 material for the past six years before the last fourteen months of horror and therefore, if she wants to get back to where she was before said rough patch, she should be disappointed by her performance today.

Miracle Worker
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Russian reversal: "In Soviet Russia, Svetlana Kuznetsova won't understand herself too"...

Ballbasher
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Sveta.... Ridiculous loss. Blame it on your very weak serve. This is not going anywhere right now! :shrug: She would have been embarrassed by Vika tomorrow anyways. Please sort it out for FC & Madrid! :hug:
On the other hand I couldn't help but be impressed by Begu. So congrats! :)

Jane Lane
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Kuznetsova will never understand Kuznetsova

:spit: I feel like Sveta herself would actually say that. Like her famous "The cheese is there but you just cannot eat it." line from Miami a few years back.

Ballbasher
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM

For almost the first time I have to disagree. :p Sveta was far too passive and sent most of her FHs wide or just into the middle of the court to be put away by Begu and her serve is barely Top100 material these times. :(

danieln1
Marbella-GOAT Begu

Setsuna.
Oh well, Sveta still a mess.:sobbing:

Sammo
Wow :eek:

Miracle Worker
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Oh well, Sveta still a mess.:sobbing:

I said similar thing yesterday, when a lot of us announced that Sveta is back :tape:

Patrick345
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, there is. If she were the world number 50 or so then this would have been a solid performance, nothing to be disgusted about. But she's not, is she? She's a claycourt Slam holder who had been consistently top-20 material for the past six years before the last fourteen months of horror and therefore, if she wants to get back to where she was before said rough patch, she should be disappointed by her performance today.

So what? Begu played a great match. If you put Begu (from this match) up against Wozniacki (from Charleston) the match is over in 80 minutes and Wozniacki ainīt leaving as the winner. That was a high quality WTA tour semi-final that wouldnīt have looked out of place if it was the French Open semi-final.

Milito22
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
:facepalm: :weirdo: :lol: :help:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
So what? Begu played a great match. If you put Begu (from this match) up against Wozniacki (from Charleston) the match is over in 80 minutes and Wozniacki ainīt leaving as the winner. That was a high quality WTA tour semi-final that wouldnīt have looked out of place if it was the French Open semi-final.

Great post. I agree with every word here 100%. :yeah:

Vikapower
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Ok IDK who's Begu and never seen her play... I was going to mock Kuz for this loss but it's apparent from here and there that the Romanian has a very entertaining game...

Hopefully I'll have a shot at it somehow, somewhere if per chance she's able to keep this up in the future.

Noctis
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM
For almost the first time I have to disagree. :p Sveta was far too passive and sent most of her FHs wide or just into the middle of the court to be put away by Begu and her serve is barely Top100 material these times. :(

I Agree,most time Sveta was defending and unwlling to step up on the court. She was playing too far behind the base line and let Begu dictate and Sveta's serve was too weak and gets attack alot of times.Begu's serve is more about pace and placement,She tend to go down the middle than go out wide which caught Sveta alot of times.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM

That's ok. :hug:

I am not saying that this was one of the best matches Sveta ever played. But it was her 1st clay event of the year and as such I don't think she played poorly. Of course she can play substantially better. But there was no lack of effort, she hit some magnificent winners and she gave it all she could. One can't ask more of a player than that.

I have certainly seen Sveta win many matches in her career playing substantially worse than she did today. I would actually say Sveta played better today than any match she played on clay last year. Yes, today was not anything like the best Sveta can play, but it sure wasn't anything like the worst she can play either. That it would have required Sveta to have been near her best today to win says a lot for the quality of this match.

cn ireland
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
OMG Sveta:lol:

Congrats to Begu:).

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM
If this was a major it would be a bad loss.
But here, its just a start to the clay season for Sveta, and maybe Begu is okay

Setsuna.
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I said similar thing yesterday, when a lot of us announced that Sveta is back :tape:

Yeah, i know but people were just hoping i think. I don't think she will get her form back anytime soon unless she fixes that useless serve. Her whole game looks useless actually right now not just her serve.:help:

gmak
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
oh dear :facepalm: :o :help:
Sveta :rolleyes: :lol:

Kworb
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Brena
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM

So this Begu might be a real deal? Has she had any notable results before this tournament?

Shafanovic.
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
:rolls:

SVK
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
So this Begu might be a real deal? Has she had any notable results before this tournament?

Her results were solid, she wasnīt beating Kuznetsova, Zakopalova and others players in TOP 40 but she wasnīt hopeless, it seemed to be just a matter of time when she will make such breakthrough

timafi
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Sveta :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

Sammo
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I had never heard of Begu to be fair :lol:

Smitten
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Kuznetsova should just go back to her '07 service motion or be done with tennis. There's no reason for this.

Shonami Slam
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:17 PM
begu played some brilliant points - but obviously svetlana did not.
she looked tired, too hot, weak. her legs in the third were either cramping or she just ran out of steam.
her serve was horrid, and her DF nasty. the break point convertion was terrible, and the tactics non-existent. Begu played her best when she had time to prepare her very long forehand strokes - but that was only since svetlana kept playing to it.
she hits on the run nicely for the FH side, but the backhand drew the vast majority of EU long.
sveta was HORRIBLE near the net, and unwilling to smash at times.
she was just a tired rag out there.
her core and upper body muscles are gone, she's just not as fit as she was.

don't over-hype Begu - she has a good first serve, though not high percentage on it, and her forehand, when given time - is really a weapon. she's willing to run around the BH for it, which is even better.
but she played a poor opponent and was still taken to three, long, sets.

svetlana isn't back - she just played a MM tourney, and didn't excell either :o

Curcubeu
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM

What do you expect? She was outside Top 200 at the beginning of the year and had to play ITFs where decent Top 100 players normally don't appear! :rolleyes:

That's the case if you speak of a breakthrough, when a player starts to beat opponents who are actually far above his/her ranking level! :lol:

But still she was #73 in the Race before this tournament and won the 100k ITF of Cali where she beat Pous-Tio in the final in straights! :)

Brena
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Her results were solid, she wasnīt beating Kuznetsova, Zakopalova and others players in TOP 40 but she wasnīt hopeless, it seemed to be just a matter of time when she will make such breakthrough

Thanks. So it remains to be seen if she'll be able of consistency.
anyway, it's somewhat less :facepalm: for Sveta I guess. :awww:

What do you expect? She was outside Top 200 at the beginning of the year and had to play ITFs where decent Top 100 players normally don't appear! :rolleyes:

That's the case if you speak of a breakthrough, when a player starts to beat opponents who are actually far above his/her ranking level! :lol:

But still she was #73 in the Race before this tournament and won the 100k ITF of Cali where she beat Pous-Tio in the final in straights! :)

I don't expect anything. I've never heard of her before, so I had no idea what her ranking was or even how old she was, so i was checking if I had missed something on her.

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Begu won a couple of rounds at the AO qualies. She turns 21 in August. This is a breakout week. I dont know if she can back it up.

Curcubeu
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
don't over-hype Begu - she has a good first serve, though not high percentage on it, and her forehand, when given time - is really a weapon. she's willing to run around the BH for it, which is even better.
but she played a poor opponent and was still taken to three, long, sets.

But a poor Sveta on clay is still better than most of the players among Top 100. We shouldn't forget that she reached the final of Dubai this year! But she is too inconsisten, though.

Saying she had to play three sets against a poor opponent sounds like there was nothing special in it? :o

How many young and inexperienced players would have the nerves and fighting spirit to win this after 3 hours of time on their first WTA semi- not many... :shrug:

Curcubeu
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't expect anything. I've never heard of her before, so I had no idea what her ranking was or even how old she was, so i was checking if I had missed something on her.

Sorry, I got that wrong.. :o

SVK
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks. So it remains to be seen if she'll be able of consistency.
anyway, it's somewhat less :faceplam: for Sveta I guess. :awww:

Yeah, thatīs very important, Halep was very similar case, she is maybe bigger hope and she made final in MM tournament as a Q-fier too (Fes last year), but at some point she started slumping a bit..too early IMO...so we will see if Begu will able to be more consistent after that.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
who?

Patrick345
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM

It is what it is. Could be a breakthrough event and the beginning of a steady climb through the ranks or just a fluke. It was certainly an impressive performance today.

If you look at her results in 2009/2010 there is nothing to suggest she has any special talent. This year though she has came through the qualification and won the Cali ITF event that had some depth to it. Now this. So maybe something has clicked.

Brena
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, thatīs very important, Halep was very similar case, she is maybe bigger hope and she made final in MM tournament as a Q-fier too (Fes last year), but at some point she started slumping a bit..too early IMO...so we will see if Begu will able to be more consistent after that.

It is what it is. Could be a breakthrough event and the beginning of a steady climb through the ranks or just a fluke. It was certainly an impressive performance today.

If you look at her results in 2009/2010 there is nothing to suggest she has any special talent. This year though she has came through the qualification and won the Cali ITF event that had some depth to it. Now this. So maybe something has clicked.

Well, we'll see. But good luck, Irina-Camelia, keep playing well and draw you-know-who in the RG R1. :oh:

doomsday
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Kuz :help:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM

MiiMo
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Now, Sveta can retire.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
This is too good :hysteric:

Craig.
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Suck it, Nico_E.

égalité
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Who? :spit: :hysteric:

Dominika23
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
i already see Svetlana Kuznetsova not going have a good year

Pasta-Na
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
sveta :facepalm:

aisha
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I reiterate :facepalm:

Curcubeu
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Yeah, Simona had the problem that she suffered an abdominal strain after her surprisingly good start to the season which threw her back, so she decided to let Marbella pass this year. I think she will make some noise at the FO when she is fit again! :)

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Irina Bewho? :eek: :bolt:

Congrats! :yeah: :hatoff:

hankqq
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Sveta :rolls: :o So glad I was sleeping and didn't have to watch another crazy loss :lol:

ce
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
:haha:

Lachy
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Kuznetsova shouldn't be losing to anyone ranked outside the top 10 on this surface :spit:

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Sveta will lose most of these 3 sets matches.:o Not surprising also.:shrug:

Oh this further proves she will probably lose within first 3 rounds at RG.

hablo
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
:speakles:

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:20 AM
43 BPīs :hearts:

That's not a good thing.

slamchamp
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Suck it, Nico_E.

sweet, sweet post

svetaisthebest
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Oh Sveta:sad: luckily I went to bed after the second set:(

Sombrerero loco
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:30 AM
my gosh, sveta :lol:

Pops Maellard
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Kuz is really talented. It's just a shame she chooses to play like a giant steaming turd most of the time. :o