PDA

View Full Version : Which Second Serve is better?

SwingVolley93
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Which one do you think is better?
The high stakes and high double fault prone Maria Sharapova?
or
The super slow and attackable, yet undeniabley consistent Aga Radwanska?
Which is better? :angel:

Ralph214
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Aga won 10% more 2nd serve points than Maria in 2011 :shrug:

Aga = 49.7%
Maria = 40.0%

*stats from KleineBiere :)

SwingVolley93
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Aga won 10% more 2nd serve points than Maria in 2011 :shrug:

Aga = 49.7%
Maria = 40.0%

*stats from KleineBiere :)

Wow really?! I would've never thought that! Great info :lick:

Renalicious
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Neither. :tears:

I'd say Masha, but only on a theoretical sense... because at least on a pressure point, the outcome is still sort of in her hands if she can manage to not double fault and put in a good second serve. With Aga.... the point is literally at the opponent's mercy.

Sp!ffy
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Jeez, you're really that desperate to find something to make you feel better about Aga?

Vartan
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Sharapova's.

Lachy
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I hate Maria's second serve, but I would take it over a puffball any day. Puffball and Sharapova just don't go together :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Puff. It gives me more of a chance to stay in the point, just getting the ball over.

BlueTrees
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Sharapova's when it goes in. :shrug:

Mistress of Evil
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Mashinka's :crying2:

Vartan
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Puff. It gives me more of a chance to stay in the point, just getting the ball over.

But Maria's serve keeps the opponents guessing :shrug:

Serenita
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
But Maria's serve keeps the opponents guessing :shrug:
Df or no DF..:hearts:

danieln1
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Maria obviously..... Because when it goes in, its almost a first serve, and the oppoonent cant attack...

Aga serve just asking for a huge return from the opponent!!!

Pops Maellard
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Maria's.

SwingVolley93
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Maria obviously..... Because when it goes in, its almost a first serve, and the oppoonent cant attack...

Aga serve just asking for a huge return from the opponent!!!

My point is that Maria has such high amounts of DF's meaning she has a very inconsistent serve. :tape:

InsideOut.
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Depends on your style of play. It's better for Maria to have a volatile second serve than a consistent puffball, because if it's bashed away she won't be able to move quickly enough to retrieve anyway. Whereas Aga needs to be super consistent if her style of play has to have any effect, and given that she won't be able to do much even if she does "go" for it, she might as well make sure she has a high 1st serve percentage and virtually no DFs.

MB.
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Brie Whitehead's.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
If we consider these serves at their peaks, I think Maria's one can be compared to the great servers of the tour like Rena and Venus :yeah:.

If we talk about their second serves right now, then Aga's :sad:.

JamieOwen3
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Maria's second serve was sooo GOOD in 2006 during her good run from the US Open-Linz-Zurich and 2008 at the AO :sobbing:

JamieOwen3
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:59 AM
But would i rather have the ball fly past me after hitting a puffy or Go for it and make a few DF's but the point still be in my hands? :shrug: Maybe im a little biased but when her 2nd serve goes in it's hit hard and not that attackable so definitely Maria's.

Overall though I pick Serena's 2nd serve :lol:

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Serena's....;)

Nah, it's just like chosing from a slow-death or a quick one.

Miracle Worker
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Both of them kill me every time when I see them....

But I choose Maria.

Feyd
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Maria's second serve was actually very acceptable last year between Strasbourg and US Open. It has regressed back to 2009 post return levels this year. She is practically leading the DF rankings with 30 percent of her second serves as DFs. :help:

JamieOwen3
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
some of those matches she's made quite a few DF's though she has actually ended up winning :lol:

SwingVolley93
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Maria's second serve was actually very acceptable last year between Strasbourg and US Open. It has regressed back to 2009 post return levels this year. She is practically leading the DF rankings with 30 percent of her second serves as DFs. :help:

30%? TBH that is pathetic from any top player..:o

homogenius
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Aga's cause it gives her a chance to actually play (and win) the point.And even when she's not on DF mode, Maria's 2nd serve is not what it used to be.

Break My Rapture
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM
At least when Pova's second serve goes in it's of high quality most of the time, and when you get a good rhythm on it you posses one of the best serves in the game. And unlike Aga's consistent 2nd serve, when Maria double faults she tends to throw off the rhythm of her opponents. :oh:

JamieOwen3
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Plus Maria has capitolized on Aga's puff ball 2nd serve the last 5 meetings.Not even Maria's double faults could help Aga as there were some great 2nd serves in those matches that would balance it out.Id rather lose the point on my own terms than kick it in softly so someone else can hit a great shot off it :D ;)

Brena
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
It depends on the opponent you're playing. The long experience with watching JJ's amazing second puffballs has taught me that you just don't hit those against Bartoli, for example. but the again, Isn't Marion 0-5 against Radwanska who also puffballs those serves in? :unsure:
OTOH, when you play Wozniacki, or the said Radwanska, or even JJ occasionally, you simply don't need a good second serve because they won't attack it anyway. DFing due to risky serves against Woz is the most stupid thing one can do, as Maria has learnt.
And yet, I remember Jelena's retarded second serves confusing Venus to no end - it probably took her a couple of seconds to believe her eyes how slow and bad they were, so she'd lose her timing and often hit them long. :lol:

Oh, and this as well:

Depends on your style of play. It's better for Maria to have a volatile second serve than a consistent puffball, because if it's bashed away she won't be able to move quickly enough to retrieve anyway. Whereas Aga needs to be super consistent if her style of play has to have any effect, and given that she won't be able to do much even if she does "go" for it, she might as well make sure she has a high 1st serve percentage and virtually no DFs.

Matej
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Strictly speaking, Maria has no second serve. It´s actually the same serve as her first serve most of the time.

Vee Williams
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
30%? TBH that is pathetic from any top player..:o

the top players (Caro and Co.) don't have this number of DF

Volcana
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
The comparison doesn't work in the real world. A player with good movement and defensive skills is better off making sure they get the serve. A player with inferior movement, but big time offense, is better off taking risks with her serve.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Radwanska. She's drawn countless errors from over-eager opponents looking to pulverize the return, only to see it crash into the bottom of the net or sail thirty feet long. Will never forget the 52 MPH second serve on matchpoint against Kuznetsova at the 2008 AO (Kuznetsova, you guessed it, dumped the return dutifully in the net).

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:36 AM

It seems like it is much higher usually. I would have guessed 50% if you hadn't mentioned it.

Sombrerero loco
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
radwanska´s, by far...

BartoLiNa
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Puffball Aga is laughably bad, DfPova is even worse.

fouc
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

really? :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if Aga won more points of her 2nd serve than Maria in their entire careers (including Maria's prime time). Aga is always very high on points won after 2nd serve, it's the first set that's problematic for her.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Aga is always very high on points won after 2nd serve, it's the first set that's problematic for her.

It has more to do with her agility and the ability to retrieve the second serve returns than the actual second serve.

Pops Maellard
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:10 AM
It's worth noting that DFPova has won three titles since 2009, PuffballAga has won 0. :oh:

SwingVolley93
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM
ok...