PDA

View Full Version : Name players that know when and how to come to the net and play a proper volley

Patrick345
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM
1. Schiavone
2. Zvonareva
3. Mattek Sands

Anyone else?

Ralph214
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Serena

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Petrova (She knows when to come forward, has great transition game and her volleys are good too)
Kuznetsova (Good volleys + good approach shots)
Vinci (great hands, just doesnt have enough power to consistently hit decent approach shots)
Kvitova (Good approach shots, decent volleys)

arn
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Flipkens

madmax
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Serena

negative...we are talking proper volleys here.
In all seriousness, only MJMS fits the bill from singles players

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Maria Jose really is the best player in the game right now in terms of knowing how to move foward to the net but honestly at least half of the top 50 are reasonably comfortable at the net.

BartoLiNa
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Venus, Radwanska, Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Peng, Pennetta, Petrova, Vinci.

Doully
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Wozniacki.

In all seriousness: MJSM, Venus, Shiavone... and it gets quite difficult from there on. Stosur should be on the list. But for whatever reason, she forgets that she is a former world no.1 in doubles when she plays singles :o.

Miracle Worker
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Aga don't know how to come to the net :rolleyes:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Gisela is quite good too ;)

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
:lol:

Bashing tennis players for whatever reason is seeming to be this board's favourite pastime. Loving it!

Banditoo
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Venus show how how to come to the net and play a proper volley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndzNidWmfAM&feature=channel_video_title)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Rybarikova not mentioned yet.

nevetssllim
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
As well as the aforementioned Kirilenko, Strycova, Benesova and Hantuchova can all handle themselves very well at the net.

Potato
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
MJMS, WS, Kirilenko, Hantuchova

Henin, Mauresmo

Setsuna.
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Shvedova. She has a great serve with good net skills.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
1.Schiavone (She even made two volleys from Caro's moon balls at the Aussie :bowdown: )
2.Kuznetsova ( Amazing net skills :) )
3.Vinci ( She knows when to come in :) :)
4.Errani ( Her touching skills are incredible ).
5.Petra Kvitova ( I still remember those volleys against Rena at Wimbledon :worship: )

njnetswill
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Believe it or not Dulgheru is capable of moving forward and finishing a point with a volley. She just hasn't learned to do it often enough and sometimes insists on pushing from the back of the court.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
someone that mentioned Sara & Alex :worship:

toxina90
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Strycova

and Jankovic circa US Open 2006 :sobbing:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Just looking at this thread I realise just what an important criteria it is for me, in term of liking a player, that they have good net skills. MJMS, Shvedova, Rybarikova, Hantuchova, Benesova, Dulgheru, Schiavone, Errani, Radwanska have all been mentioned here and yeah these are all players I admire because they can do some nice things when they get to the net. Date-Krumm and Niculescu haven't yet been mentioned in this thread yet but they are also fine volleyers.

smarties
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Barbie is very good at this. It's a tough thing to do on clay and I was very impressed in her match against Pushniacki how she slided into those volleys.

Ryan
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I think almost all players in the Top 100 can do this, it's stupid to think they can't do it at all. Some just don't do it a lot/are very inconsistent.

Names not up there that can volley very well - Mattek-Sands, Zheng, Peer.

LegionArgentina
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Gisela Dulko has a good hands at the net,great stop volley,good touch and goes to net more than people could think about it..

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I forgot to mention Stosur :)

Cakeisgood
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Dani has some pretty volleys :)

Sammo
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova

Matej
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I think almost all players in the Top 100 can do this, it's stupid to think they can't do it at all. Some just don't do it a lot/are very inconsistent.

Maria Sharapova definitely can´t. :)

And the today´s match vs. Wozniacki proved that Yanina is not very good at the net either.

SVK
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
MJMS and Vinci...Roberta actually became my fave because of her lovely net game

SwingVolley93
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Radwanska. :)

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Best volleyer might be Nadia, but she is not good at picking the right approach shot.
Sveta and Vera can volley. Vera winning Wimbledon mixed against Venus & Bryan was the greatest volleying I've ever seen by a WTA player.
They went at her and Vera won that title at the net.
Vesnina also is excellent near the net

timafi
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM
they are both retired unfortunately (as much as I despised one of them for being a liar and a cheat bitch could volley:mad:) :sad:

Sveta;Sam and Fran

LeonHart
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Vania King

Josh.
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Strycova

and Jankovic circa US Open 2006 :sobbing:

Her semi versus Justine :sobbing: She was approaching like a maniac.

Srodgers
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Bethanie is one of the top ranked doubles players, if she cant volley, she wouldnt be ranked so high

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:43 AM
It is funny, many lower-ranked players have a good sense of how to play responsible approach shots and position themselves at the net, both to hit the first volley and to intercept succeeding ones. However, when faced against top players, who have superb groundies and movement, they get passed often, but they know it might be their only chance to compete against them. They also get very few opportunities to come forward.

On the other hand, the very top players are often poor volleyers, maybe because they have such confidence in their ground game they never feel the need to venture forward. I have no confidence in the skills of Wozniacki, Clijsters, Stosur, Azarenka, Li, Jankovic, Sharapova, Kuznetsova(yes, her too), even Serena.

iPatty
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:19 AM

I'm trying to picture Rezai volleying and I just...can't.

Sevastova has good hands up at the net. Part of the reason why I like her so much.

rimon
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I think that Clijsters and Davenport do, but unfortunately don't do it all that much.

Vartan
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Maria Sharapova, :oh:.

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Her semi versus Justine :sobbing: She was approaching like a maniac.

She should keep doing that.... :D

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Venus show how how to come to the net and play a proper volley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndzNidWmfAM&feature=channel_video_title)

Really a nice video! :D

InsideOut.
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to picture Rezai volleying and I just...can't.

Sevastova has good hands up at the net. Part of the reason why I like her so much.

z3OBG7T6djY

She was pretty awful. :oh: 07:12 :crying2:

Lachy
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ana has good touch at the net ;)

The 2nd Law
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I always thought Vika isn't bad at the net, though, thinking now, I havn't seen her volley much in singles.

Ana is NOT BAD at the net.

currie84
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
so almost half the tour can do it.

what a fail of a thread.

wally1
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
:)MJMS and Vinci...Roberta actually became my fave because of her lovely net gameSome of the others mentioned in this thread are adequate at the net - these are the only two who are great.