PDA

View Full Version : Charleston: QF (1) Caroline Wozniacki def. (6) Yanina Wickmayer 4:6, 6:4, 6:4

darkangel23
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Great fight Caro :worship:
Didn't play well at all but she fought as hell when she was behind in the third!

Yanina lead 3-1 and 4-2 in the third!

Libertango
Good... but predictable.

Paldias
ugh wta mental midgets. :o

WozTakesAll
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Way to go Caro! Nice comeback in the third set!

njnetswill
I'm so glad I can watch Peng and Mirza now instead of these two bores.

Ryusuke Tenma
Another one bites the dust :banana: 7 aces, 0 double faults, 28 winners :banana: :banana: SUCK IT, HATERS :wavey:

Pump-it-UP
Sloppy, but she buckled down when she had to. :shrug:

She needs to improve drastically.

timafi
lucky b!tch!

young_gunner913
I'm sorry but WTF did Caro do to win this match? Besides luck out that Yanina is useless at closing out a match. Only good thing about this is that the Empress won't let Caro get away with playing as bad as she has been.

~{X}~
Go Caro! Win the title!

Mary Cherry.
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I can't get over that visor/headband combo. Seriously :o

iGOAT
CARO :worship: YES!!!

Another positive differential :devil: this was actually a really good match, Yanina was great (less at the end of the second two set) and Wozniacki played pretty well, even if she was very frustrating at times. Seven aces and zero doubles from Caro :eek::worship:.

Win it all Caro!!! She will need to play better against JaJa though.

is1531
The Champ beat the choker. Yanina choked in game 9 set 2 at 0-40 and then Wozniacki stayed cool the rest of the match to beat choker Yanina.

GoofyDuck
Caro moves so bad on clay, she refuses to slide. :haha:

FleetSeb
Great match... Shows again how easy it is to hit through Caro but of course Nina got tight...

Oh well, well played Yanina nice match, showed that you can outplay Caro, just don't hit terrible drop shots now.

Patrick345
Same old, same old. Wickmayer dumb like a rock.

Rod the Bama
Good win for Caroline. :clap2: She showed a lot of poise against a very game Yanina, especially when she came back from down triple break point at 4-4 in the second set.

doomsday
Choke job in the second set and the third one. Pathetic

TheHangover
3 tight sets against wickmayer on clay! she won't win rg

Blu€
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
F*** yes!! Caro was done, and out of it at 4-6 4-4 in the second 0-40! Some good serving and gutsy play to save that and she turned it around. Wicky played well but couldn't hold on to any leads. Great forehand from Caro to save BP 4-4 in the third!
7 aces and more errors from the BH than the FH from Caro today! Not bad!
Good luck in semis! ;)

goldenlox
Well, no one can say Caro isnt entertaining. That was an interesting match.
Caro got a little better as the match went on. Probably needs a little more to win Saturday. McHale's tough

OneSlamWonder
Nina is so useless... I wonder what does she need, what kind of lead to actually win such a match.

Caro is either afraid of the surface or just tired of everything.

Ryusuke Tenma
I'm sorry but WTF did Caro do to win this match? Besides luck out that Yanina is useless at closing out a match. Only good thing about this is that the Empress won't let Caro get away with playing as bad as she has been.
I'm guessing you didn't watch the match, then? :wavey:

28 winners, 7 aces, 0 double faults, 100% fight. That's what she did :wavey: Suck it :kiss:

Mary Cherry.
The Champ beat the choker. Yanina choked in game 9 set 2 at 0-40 and then Wozniacki stayed cool the rest of the match to beat choker Yanina.

Caro saved those 3 BPs rather well I thought.

Bonfire
:banana::banana::banana:
Caro kept me nervous from start to finish today but so happy about the win!!!
Win the title:D

QuietPlease
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
What a great match!
Both girls played really well!
Nina was the better player in the first set, but very strong comeback by Caro. And she was the better player in the end.

A lot of great points, both player had more winners than errors, Nina 44-42, Caro 28-20.
Caro made 7 aces and 0 DF!

I do feel kinda bad for Yanina. This was some of the best tennis I've seen her play.

Good luck in SF, Caro

FleetSeb
Good win for Caroline. :clap2: She showed a lot of poise against a very game Yanina, especially when she came back from down triple break point at 4-4 in the second set.

Wickmayer had the easiest put away at 30-40... choked it big time. Nothing about Caro's game saved that one.

Mynarco
Yanina just can't consolidate leads and make UEs at the most crucial times :o

A-Bond
Oh Yanina, I'm really disappointed. This is way harder than a beatdown. She played well in the first set and wasn't bad in the other 2, but she just couldn't win the big points. Especially that Forehand when she had BP at 4-4 in the second after Caro hit the netcord was terrible, just played into Caro's raquet. Credit for Caro for hanging in there once again, but I really wanted Yanina to win :sad:

arn
The mentally weaker player lost. Why Yanina had to play a drop on every crucial point is a mystery to me.

Noctis
beatdown by Jelena next

is1531
Yanina,Kuz,and the Iranian soldier play like a bunch of dummies. I forgot to throw in Georges.

Miracle Worker
Nina, why?

I'm frustrated right now...

http://i34.tinypic.com/29p574p.jpg

TennisFan66
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
First things first, no-one injured on that green clay in this match.

That aside, what an amazing, exciting, brilliant match. Show-case for the WTA for sure. I don't follow Wickmayer, but she played exceptional and is surely top 10 material imho. And all the abuse Wickmayer gets for her 'whooopiiii/s. Seriously? She's not 1/10 as annoying as the non-stop screaming from someone like Pova.

On a small side note, I do think though Caro looked a bit like she didn't really give a damn. Win or lose. At 20, I think its early to adopt those 'Serena and Kim' antics at only caring about majors.

ivanban
Yanina :facepalm:

Caro was so nothing today :tape:

Patrick345
Great match... Shows again how easy it is to hit through Caro but of course Nina got tight...

Oh well, well played Yanina nice match,

No she didn´t. A nice match would have been a 6-4 6-4 win.

A-Bond
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Nina is so useless... I wonder what does she need, what kind of lead to actually win such a match.

Caro is either afraid of the surface or just tired of everything.

Yanina is not the typical headcase. It's just VERY difficult to finish Caro off.

Frederik
Another mediocre match by Wozniacki. But she was able to step up her game after that atrocious first set.

Still... Wickmayer lost that match because of her inability to close out the match in the last two sets.

OneSlamWonder
Probably needs a little more to win Saturday. McHale's tough

Don't worry about it too much. Tomorrow won't be McHale, but JJ, and little more won't help Caro.

Belmont Lad
Wickmayer, she can play such pretty tennis, but so mentally weak. Really should have put Pushniacki away several times in this match. :help:

TheBoiledEgg
Someone sat on the whoopie cushion & all the hot air came out and she fell flat :o

BartoLiNa
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4994/unledpe.jpg

High quality match for the most part. Wickmayer started great but wasn't able to match Caro when she raised her came to come back from a break down in each of the last 2 sets. She looked so motivated compared to the last match too. Big improvement.

Promising performance from Wickmayer, but I still don't think she has a smart enough game to be a top 10 player.

Patrick345
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Nina, why?

:lol::lol:

Frederik
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Nina, why?

Nice gif. :lol: ;)

goldenlox
Caroline is a very smart player.
Just watching, I said in the OOP thread that Caro has to make some small adjustments, Yanina was waiting for crosscourt balls, and hitting them hard with great angles.
Caro saw it, and she did change, and in the 3rd set Yanina had to play great points to not be broken 4 times in a row.

Caro still has to improve on clay. I think she will. Maybe not by this FO, but its coming

T_P
Oh Yanina :o she just can't close out matches against top players. That forehand at 4-4 30-40 in the second :help:
And please stop hitting those awful backhand dropshots :tape:

WhoAmI?
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Nice match overall:) Winner was expected even Yanina was up in 2nd and 3rd set. Just frustrating:(

Good for Woznicaki.

Cherry.
When I first checked the score she was leading 4:1 3rd set. Then I closed the window and when I opened it again the score was 4:6...

homogenius
Wickmayer :o :o :o

Patrick345
Yanina is not the typical headcase. It's just VERY difficult to finish Caro off.

Of course she is. She dropped her serve to love twice at 4-5 and she totally screwed up the most important point of the match at 4-4 30-40. What I don´t get is, why players don´t simply dump it over the net, no matter which side. Wozniacki is always commited to the long ball. So if you are too stupid to find the open court, just lay it in. That´s something BZS did a few times.

OneSlamWonder
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM

I agree but Nina has to realize that winning a match means finishing off the opponents. Well who am I to say, my fave is Jankovic ;)

Frederik
Why Yanina had to play a drop on every crucial point is a mystery to me.

+1

DownInAHole
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.:shrug:

Matej
Yanina needs to improve her dropshots and volleys / net game. There were numerous occasions when she could have easily finished the ball at the net after her terrific forehand or backhand stroke, but she stayed at the baseline and made the UE in the end.

And Yanina should have really broken Wozniacki´s serve in the second set at 4:4, she lead 40:0 and had a very easy ball to finish on the third break point.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
The mentally weaker player lost. Why Yanina had to play a drop on every crucial point is a mystery to me.

According to the Eurosport commentators, that's what her coach told her to do. She just didn't do it very well...thankfully.

Frederik
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
When I first checked the score she was leading 4:1 3rd set. Then I closed the window and when I opened it again the score was 4:6...

I think it was 4-2 and not 4-1. Wickmayer never led by a double-break.

Vikapower
Typical. :rolls: Woz's clay game is so pathetic... can't slide and when she does slide effectively she has all the pains in the world to explode in the other direction... and she's supposed to be one of the faves for RG !!? Ok.

Wickmayer... :rolls: is there anything to say on you pathetic choker... :help: 3 BPs at 4 all... one easy FH off a net-cord finds a way to mess it up... :rolleyes:

QuietPlease
I think Nina had seen others use the dropshot well against Caro. She just couldn't execute it...

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Fantastic match.
I'm awaiting Patrick to update his thread about generation DEEP, and founders of Gerenation Suck term appear to talk about it.:lol:

Nina.:hug: Always a joy to see her playing like that.

Caro.:yeah: Amazing fight. Hope hatas watched the match attentively and figured what differs Caroline from the rest of the field right now. Winning matches on pure class, adding when it's needed the most-- definitely a pattern of winning for the world's best player. Quite a progress after yesterday's disaster, I would say. Way to go.:)

JJTennisFan0007
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Oh, why couldn't Wickmayer close her out? I do not like Pushniacki...

TuxedoSlam
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Nina has to learn to finish these matches. First Kvitova in Paris, now this. Hopefully she takes something positive out of it.

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Keep on bashing Yanina. For playing one of the best matches in her career.:yeah:

Oh, why couldn't Wickmayer close her out? I do not like Pushniacki...
Very promising and original first post. Welcome aboard! You'll find soulmates here for sure.

backhandsmash
Had Wickmayer won, I would have had no problem with that. She totally played for the win against #1 without the brakes on. Of course I'm happy my favourite won, but this could easily have ended in 2.

goldenlox
Yanina was being outplayed from the middle of the 3rd set on.
If you watched the match, she played great points to hold at *21 & *32. Great points.
But she couldnt keep that level up.

homogenius
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Yanina was being outplayed from the middle of the 3rd set on.
If you watched the match, she played great points to hold at *21 & *32. Great points.
But she couldnt keep that level up.

:lol: Wickmayer choked a million times

A-Bond
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
All my faves are choker :(

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Today Caro really killed the myth saying she always loses when facing a big-hitter having a good day. Yanina played the best I've ever seen from her - her serve in particular was scary good - but Caro really stepped up when it mattered the most and won the match. Yes, Yanina made some errors but not enough to say she lost the match, Caro won it. :)

is1531
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I never bet money on Wickmayer. You always expect a high onslaught of unforced errors from her.

Ferg
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Wordy Life :inlove:

poulao
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Caroline needs matches like this, if she is to improve her game.

JJTennisFan0007
Well at least Petkovic had the decency to actually finish off matches against both Wozniacki and Jankovic...
Wozniacki doesn't deserve the #1 ranking, Clijsters has won the last 2 grand slams > winning a bunch of smaller events.
Wickmayer's career doesn't look too promising if she's going to choke away matches likie this when she's up 3-1 and 4-2 in the 3rd set...
Now the only advantage to having Wozniacki and Jankovic play is that one of them will lose.

OneSlamWonder
On a small side note, I do think though Caro looked a bit like she didn't really give a damn. Win or lose. At 20, I think its early to adopt those 'Serena and Kim' antics at only caring about majors.

I don't think she didn't give a damn. She is probably tired, which is normal, but also maybe fed up with tennis a bit atm. THAT can be a problem at 20.

Libertango
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
This place really makes me laugh. Some of you guys are (unintentional) comedians.

Matej
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Today Caro really killed the myth saying she always loses when facing a big-hitter having a good day. Yanina played the best I've ever seen from her - her serve in particular was scary good - but Caro really stepped up when it mattered the most and won the match. Yes, Yanina made some errors but not enough to say she lost the match, Caro won it. :)

Wickmayer coudl have played far better and she did, indeed, play better in the past (ie. against Kvitova in Paris, Na Li in Dubai, and Shahar Peer in IW). And this match was really on her racquet, she could have won in two sets.

Anyway, big hitters are generally more dangerous on hard and grass than on clay, aren´t they? :)

debby
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Congrats Woz-woz ! 28 winners? :lol:

I can't get over that visor/headband combo. Seriously :o

Picture ???

Aaron.
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Some of Wickmayer's drop shots :unsure: and volleys :bolt:

TennisFan66
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Well at least Petkovic had the decency to actually finish off matches against both Wozniacki and Jankovic...
Wozniacki doesn't deserve the #1 ranking, Clijsters has won the last 2 grand slams > winning a bunch of smaller events.
Wickmayer's career doesn't look too promising if she's going to choke away matches likie this when she's up 3-1 and 4-2 in the 3rd set...
Now the only advantage to having Wozniacki and Jankovic play is that one of them will lose.

I predict you'll find a lot of friends here in GM.

I don't think she didn't give a damn. She is probably tired, which is normal, but also maybe fed up with tennis a bit atm. THAT can be a problem at 20.

You wish.

Aaron.
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
:haha: at tea's signature

bandabou
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
When she couldn't convert that easy forehand on bp to go 5-4 in the second set and let Caro come back to make it 5-4 instead...you KNEW Yanina was toast. Wozniacki needs to get a bigger game. It's just shocking how easily the no.1 player can get overpowered. But she hung there and waited for the ebb to come. Also a quality I guess.

Aaron.
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Caro will most likely dominate the clay season, Only Vera can stop her :unsure:

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wickmayer coudl have played far better and she did, indeed, play better in the past (ie. against Kvitova in Paris, Na Li in Dubai, and Shahar Peer in IW). And this match was really on her racquet, she could have won in two sets.

Anyway, big hitters are generally more dangerous on hard and grass than on clay, aren´t they? :)Wickmayer played some great points. I mean great. Where she was blasting balls just inside the lines or wide at big angles.
If she could play full matches like that she would be top 5.
She folded at the end, but Caroline was playing very well then and Yanina was feeling it.

toxina90
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Caro moves so bad on clay, she refuses to slide. :haha:

Her movement isn't good at all on this surface. People saying she will win RG are, well...:tape:

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
bobbychin (http://twitter.com/bobbychin)

Wicky: "She was just a little bit more aggressive on the important points... But I feel pretty good... it was a great match. I enjoyed it. "

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Anyway, big hitters are generally more dangerous on hard and grass than on clay, aren´t they? :)

I admit I haven't seen that many full matches of hers. If you say she has played even better on other occasions that's probably true but it's still the best I have seen her play. I was really impressed by her level 80% of the match. :)
And I don't agree this match was wholly on her racquet. Sure she had her chances like that miss at 4-4 30-40 second set so many talk about. But it's not like Caro just laid back and waited for opponent errors like her bashers often accuse her of. The last 1˝ set she stepped up her game: served with more risk, hit some nice winners and also forced a number of errors with good pressure.

FormerlyKnownAs
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Caroline didn't even get in a sweat today even though she looked only slightly more motivated than yesterday( compare her top to Wickmayer's), in most of the match I could have sworn it was a tank, but she suprised me anyway and won.

She looks pretty rested for tommorrow, I wont be sad if she looses , as long as she gets of this thin Green shit without an injury.

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Her movement isn't good at all on this surface. People saying she will win RG are, well...:tape:
That's true about the movement.
That is also true that green clay of Charleston and red clay of Paris are as different as surfaces get.
You won't see an orthodox sliding on green clay even in total claycourters' games.

Vikapower
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM
We all feel the same way for 99.9% of your comments :help:

Mmmm... have you checked the reception signal of your Vladabox !!? Sometimes the signal lessens making a mess of simple phrases, thaughts, arguments etc... ask if further informations are needed. ;)

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM
What I dont get is why the TF owners/admin allows these people to post here. Unless TF is owned by Abramovich, in which case its of course just a toy like Chelsea FC, one would assume the TF owners are interested in traffic and members, who are able to click and buy stuff from the commercials, TF displays on the site.

Mentally deranged people and 10 yr old kids don't do much (online) shopping.
I believe that mentally deficient poster is banned by now. Question is for how long. A week? I would assume no longer than that. I have been banned for 3 month for supposing Serena will not win something; I believe wishing career-ending injury would not be considered here as such serious infraction. We shall see but I am almost certain. Admins are also people and they cover many fanbases with our fan group being the only exception I assume. Hate is hate on all layers, apparently. We'll live with it, but honestly speaking it sucks.

toxina90
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
That's true about the movement.
That is also true that green clay of Charleston and red clay of Paris are as different as surfaces get.
You won't see an orthodox sliding on green clay even in total claycourters' games.

I must beg to differ here, although there is a difference between the red and green, some players can and do 'orthodox sliding' on this surface, albeit not as much. I'm not sure if Caroline was brought up on clay or what but she seems completely incapable of graceful, convincing movement on it, like one attempting to run up a sand-dune.

backhandsmash
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for clean up.

Brena
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
mmm, now baby Jeca has to beat Mc Goat and make the #1 her punchbag during the clay season. :lick::hearts:

SoClose
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Good job Caro Pushniacki!!!! :bounce::kiss::bounce:
http://twenty-somethingtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters_gonna_hate.gif

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
:cheer:

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I must beg to differ here, although there is a difference between the red and green, some players can and do 'orthodox sliding' on this surface, albeit not as much. I'm not sure if Caroline was brought up on clay or what but she seems completely incapable of graceful, convincing movement on it, like one attempting to run up a sand-dune.

There's at least two reasons for this. 1) This is her first clay tournament of the year and she simply has to get used to moving differently. 2) The memory of her injury here last year still lingers in her mind.
A possible third reason: someone wrote here that in his experience you get stuck in a slide more easily on green clay than on red clay. I know too little about green clay to be sure whether that's correct. In any case, if Caro gets through FCC uninjured I think we'll see her sliding improve as the clay season progresses though obviously she'll never be a natural like Nadal.

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I don't like her movement on clay. But I don't want any final conclusions to be made judging from the last season or this green clay tourney. I hope she will master this surface, there will be a couple of months for that. If not, we will have all rights to label her 'unable to properly play on clay' tennis player. There are quite a few champs of this sort, active champs:p, but it's way too soon to put Caro in that category as well.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
mmm, now baby Jeca has to beat Mc Goat and make the #1 her punchbag during the clay season. :lick::hearts:

stop wishing gurl! :rolleyes:

Brena
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
stop wishing gurl! :rolleyes:

http://svabotralala.glasovi.org/images/smilies/pardon.gif

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
http://svabotralala.glasovi.org/images/smilies/pardon.gif

Too cute. And you also changed your ugly avatar :D

BTW, this was a very nice match.

Ryan
:bowdown: WD Caro, GREAT stats on the serve and for winners. Sounds like Wickmayer played really well, can't wait to see highlights. Haters can keep it up, sounds like they bring nothing but bad luck to Caro's opponents. :drool:

Patrick345

Wicky: "She was just a little bit more aggressive on the important points... But I feel pretty good... it was a great match. I enjoyed it. "

Wickmayer reactions to the loss today:

http://newballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/wickmayer-clijsters.jpg?w=444&h=331

backhandsmash
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Wickmayer was awesome throughout the match. She just needs to channel that awesomeness to the big points and she's set.

CWTennis
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM
WD Caro! She's a fighter by nature! :worship:

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM

I don't get why Wicky is so hated on this board. Such a reasonable conclusion she's made from this match. Great personality, great tennis when it's on, and she isn't even world's #1 to be hated. Mystery. Wish her all the luck. So happy for myself for having her in my favelist for years.:)

wildemu
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:09 PM
i still love you wickmayer, just change your pansy coach please.

Miracle Worker
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wicky, it was really unnecessary...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3r2nbMvRY1qaaa5bo1_250.gif

toxina90
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
There's at least two reasons for this. 1) This is her first clay tournament of the year and she simply has to get used to moving differently. 2) The memory of her injury here last year still lingers in her mind.
A possible third reason: someone wrote here that in his experience you get stuck in a slide more easily on green clay than on red clay. I know too little about green clay to be sure whether that's correct. In any case, if Caro gets through FCC uninjured I think we'll see her sliding improve as the clay season progresses though obviously she'll never be a natural like Nadal.

Ah I see. The injury memory probably has plenty to do with it.

I don't like her movement on clay. But I don't want any final conclusions to be made judging from the last season or this green clay tourney. I hope she will master this surface, there will be a couple of months for that. If not, we will have all rights to label her 'unable to properly play on clay' tennis player. There are quite a few champs of this sort, active champs:p, but it's way too soon to put Caro in that category as well.

Yes, it's early days I suppose. I may have just been wondering because it just seems so clumpy, rendering her game completely aesthetically displeasing on this at least to my eyes. ;)

Betty
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I am not a fan of you Caroline. but thx for beathing wickmayer :happy:

Setsuna.
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Didn't watch the match sadly.:(
Anyway, Jelena should beat Caro on this surface even in her decent form.

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I am not a fan of you Caroline. but thx for beathing wickmayer :happy:
How is the weather there in Wallonia?:D

edificio
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Good comeback from Woz, and typical meltdown from Yanina. She needs to work on that. Woz still isn't playing that great, but she's doing all she needs to do to win.

DownInAHole
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I don't know the exact numbers but I believe that Caroline hit roughly twice as many unforced errors on her backhand as she did on her forehand. Weird.

edificio
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Caro got a little better as the match went on. Probably needs a little more to win Saturday. McHale's tough

Yes, someone can. You see, people have different views of things. That's just the way it is.

Anyway, I enjoyed the match, though it isn't terribly much fun to see a player just lose it in the end with dumb play.

Didn't her coach tell her to make drop shots when Woz is moving back? Unfortunately, Yanina didn't wait for those occasions. Bit brainless there, or the stress of the moment. But three times, yeesh! :tape:

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
"Wickmayer looked like the steadier player, winning points with deep forehands and pushing Wozniacki all over the court. Wickmayer kept the pressure on in the second set as she took a 3-1 lead against the Dane.
But as Wozniacki did against Zahlavova Strycova, she pulled herself up with a string of laser forehands and well-placed shots."
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=txcharleston

Yanina was "pushing" and Caro had "laser forehands"! Oh, the bashers are gonna love it! :happy:

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know the exact numbers but I believe that Caroline hit roughly twice as many unforced errors on her backhand as she did on her forehand. Weird.
Yep. That was happening today. Loving in what her forehand has transformed lately.:)

Anyway, I enjoyed the match, though it isn't terribly much fun to see a player just lose it in the end with dumb play.
Never occured that the player with dumb play would have won this match against 99% of the tour in 2 sets?
Maybe tennis is the game of two players after all?:confused:

Elenarulez
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
:o

Jane Lane
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Nina you idiot. :smash: Had a chance here.

edificio
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Yep. That was happening today. Loving in what her forehand has transformed lately.:)

Never occured that the player with dumb play would have won this match against 99% of the tour in 2 sets?
Maybe tennis is the game of two players after all?:confused:

I have no idea what is your point. Sorry.

FormerlyKnownAs
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:25 PM
No Sweat Wozniacki after the QF

http://kbvtpa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pkkFRXD-EH9LIQndoymlmMIHSDZiHQUbA8u78-lN63LXHSKcpqw8-G_acoRmHUgsqE0pAwfW1tw54k-tgsOiwEuFqCMho32sG/I%20stroll%20I%20win.gif?psid=1

Break My Rapture
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Wickmayer completely blew her chance to relatively easily straightset Wozniacki by playing that sitter at 4 all second set right to where Woz was covering the court. Caro really hit top notch luck by escaping in this one, Wickmayer was the better player throughout.

LightWarrior
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM
First things first, no-one injured on that green clay in this match.

That aside, what an amazing, exciting, brilliant match. Show-case for the WTA for sure.

Ok don't get carried away, it was just Woz that was playing.

Mixal
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Oh well, I knew Yanina was going to waste it. Caro played good on some of those points, though, especially when she was 0-40 in one game of the 3rd set.

I liked the match better than I thought I would, because I'm not really a fan of either of these girls.

Anyway, I'll be really pissed if JJ loses to Wozniacki in this form.

Give her one nice beatdown. Wipe that green clay with her forehead, please. :angel:

CloudAtlas
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Wickmayer completely blew her chance to relatively easily straightset Wozniacki by playing that sitter at 4 all second set right to where Woz was covering the court. Caro really hit top notch luck by escaping in this one, Wickmayer was the better player throughout.

Perhaps, but overall Caroline is by far the better player , hence the reason she was able to pull through and win.

LightWarrior
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Why would Woz even play Charleston in the first place btw -apart from bringing money to Piotr ? Does Piotr is aware that her daughter will be burned out in a couple of years at this rate ?

Break My Rapture
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Perhaps, but overall Caroline is by far the better player , hence the reason she was able to pull through and win.
I honestly wouldn't get that impression when watching this match.
Wickmayer has a bigger first serve, more explosive groundstrokes and she's actually a smoother or even better defender than Wozniacki IMO (even though Wozniacki is known for her excellent defense, there are player like Jankovic or even like Barbie who are simply better at defending just because Wozniacki doesn't move natural and they do).
Wozniacki lucked out when Wickmayer completely brainfarted on that sitter at BP 4 all second set, or Wickmayer would have served for the match and probably won since she was clearly playing better at that time in the match.

claypova
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Wickmayer :o

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Why would Woz even play Charleston in the first place btw -apart from bringing money to Piotr ? Does Piotr is aware that her daughter will be burned out in a couple of years at this rate ?She isnt playing this Tier 2 for money.
I could see Caro getting better as today's went on.
Its for Caro to make subtle changes in her game. She has to do that to keep improving on clay.
She has next week off.

backhandsmash
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
She isnt playing this Tier 2 for money.

Obviously.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Caro :cheer:
Yanina :hug:

Shinjiro
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM
She had a big opportunity to win in 2, but couldn't think straight on that BP – at the same time, had to play at the net... :o :help:

Wozz waz trying to slide into forehands.

Nico_E
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Yes they can because, she is not entertaining

she is a mug who hits balls down the middle of the court all day and nothing else

backhandsmash
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Yes they can because, she is not entertaining

she is a mug who hits balls down the middle of the court all day and nothing else

Yeah, and you didn't watch this match, did you?

Mashabator
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Oh Yanina :o

tonybotz
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
this is why Caro is number one: sport is all PSYCHOLOGICAL. katarina witt won 2 olympic gold medals in figure skating not because she was the best skater in the world. she won because she COMPETED the best. you can't deny results. Caro has a winner's mentality.

Mikey.
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:25 AM
No idea how Yanina managed to lose this match. :lol: She should have won in straight sets.

Roookie
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Our number one struggling to beat Yanina on clay :tape:

CloudAtlas
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I honestly wouldn't get that impression when watching this match.
Wickmayer has a bigger first serve, more explosive groundstrokes and she's actually a smoother or even better defender than Wozniacki IMO (even though Wozniacki is known for her excellent defense, there are player like Jankovic or even like Barbie who are simply better at defending just because Wozniacki doesn't move natural and they do).
Wozniacki lucked out when Wickmayer completely brainfarted on that sitter at BP 4 all second set, or Wickmayer would have served for the match and probably won since she was clearly playing better at that time in the match.

There's plenty of players who can hit the ball more 'explosively' than Wozniacki and serve faster than her. But simply hitting the ball harder does not make someone a better player and their respective results show that. And one can not seriously consider anyone a better player if it's considered that they're not mentally strong enough to win the big points so if Wickmayer continously failed to convert on the big opportunities , well then that's just her own too bad. So what if she missed a sitter? If she was playing better then she should have still won the next two points and the game. These are all simply excuses. She simply wasn't good enough to win.

Our number one struggling to beat Yanina on clay :tape:

Last year , the World #1 who went by the name of Williams went to three tiebreaks against Dushevina in the 1st round of a clay tournament. Next.

iPatty
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:23 AM
One of the few times I root for Woz and she pulls it out. :drool:

tkutsaar
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I watched this match live and as I taped it I watched it a second time. I also reviewed every post in this thread before I am submitting my two cents worth. What can I say? I admit it I have no life.

My extensive focus on this match has led me to come to an iron clad conclusion which I had previously suspected. Caro haters are full of shit. The only valid criticism the hater can point to Caro is that she has not won a slam but the rest of the criticisms are pure unadulterated crap. She plays boring tennis you say? If you found this match boring then women’s tennis is not your sport to watch as this is as good as women’s tennis ever gets. There were fantastic winners and returns by Caro and there were likewise fantastic plays by Wickmayer. There was terrific drama throughout the match and the outcome of the match was in doubt to the end. In fact I would venture to say this was one of the best matches I’ve seen for sheer viewing pleasure.

Most Caro haters suggest that she wins only because her opponents wilt. In this match Yanina Wickmayer played the best tennis I’ve ever seen her play. She did not lose this match because she gave it away. She lost simply because Caro was a better player.

As for this third break point that Yanina lost at the ninth game of the second set I watched that point three times. My impression is that 99% of the players on the tour would have played the point exactly as Yanina did. The real truth is that Yanina would have won the point against every other player on the tour since none of them would have been able to get to the shots that Caro got to.

For those of you who are boldly predicting a JJ victory in the semi finals- all I can say is that admittedly I have not seen JJ play very often recently but what I’ve seen is that her caliber of play has been less than what Wickmayer achieved in this match.

Smitten
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:33 AM
There's just nothing on Karolina's shots when playing on a clay court. She made Wickmayer look more creative than she actually is because she had so much time which probably hurt Yanina in the key moments.

Reptilia
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Yanina :banghead:

Mistress of Evil
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Never in doubt. :bounce:

Setsuna.
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
There's just nothing on Karolina's shots when playing on a clay court. She made Wickmayer look more creative than she actually is because she had so much time which probably hurt Yanina in the key moments.

This is a really good thing in Caro's game. She usually forces her opponents to be creative.

C. W. Fields
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
So what if she missed a sitter? If she was playing better then she should have still won the next two points and the game. These are all simply excuses. She simply wasn't good enough to win.

Ironically they had an almost similar point at 3-4 30-40 in set 3. Caro held her 2nd BP when she missed an easy FH sitter at the net. Still, it wasn't Caro who wilted on the next 2 points but Yanina. Yanina DFed her serve game while Caro had aced her's.

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I watched this match live and as I taped it I watched it a second time. I also reviewed every post in this thread before I am submitting my two cents worth. What can I say? I admit it I have no life.

My extensive focus on this match has led me to come to an iron clad conclusion which I had previously suspected. Caro haters are full of shit. The only valid criticism the hater can point to Caro is that she has not won a slam but the rest of the criticisms are pure unadulterated crap. She plays boring tennis you say? If you found this match boring then women’s tennis is not your sport to watch as this is as good as women’s tennis ever gets. There were fantastic winners and returns by Caro and there were likewise fantastic plays by Wickmayer. There was terrific drama throughout the match and the outcome of the match was in doubt to the end. In fact I would venture to say this was one of the best matches I’ve seen for sheer viewing pleasure.

Most Caro haters suggest that she wins only because her opponents wilt. In this match Yanina Wickmayer played the best tennis I’ve ever seen her play. She did not lose this match because she gave it away. She lost simply because Caro was a better player.

As for this third break point that Yanina lost at the ninth game of the second set I watched that point three times. My impression is that 99% of the players on the tour would have played the point exactly as Yanina did. The real truth is that Yanina would have won the point against every other player on the tour since none of them would have been able to get to the shots that Caro got to.

For those of you who are boldly predicting a JJ victory in the semi finals- all I can say is that admittedly I have not seen JJ play very often recently but what I’ve seen is that her caliber of play has been less than what Wickmayer achieved in this match.

You can't be serious if you say that Yanina played well on that bp in the second set. Caro's ball hit the netcord and so slowed down considerably..the logical way was to go crosscourt to Caro's forehand because that's her weaker side..so even if Caro gets to the ball, there's not much she could've done with it anyways.

But no Yanina decides to go right at Caro and to the backhand side which is the STRONGER side. Then she gets another sitter at the net and hits it again down the middle, not even to one corner or something. And you say Yanina played it well?! :help::banghead::smash:

For the rest..the biggest criticism for Caro is that she is SOOOOOOOO passive. It's no problem being defensive, but Caro is passive. Sure she's her aggressive moments, but those few. She's no Coetzer, she's 1.77...so play like a big girl already!

Shinjiro
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
This is a really good thing in Caro's game. She usually forces her opponents to be creative.
More often than not she'll bring out both the best and the worst in her opponents' game.

edit
But no Yanina decides to go right at Caro and to the backhand side which is the STRONGER side. Then she gets another sitter at the net and hits it again down the middle, not even to one corner or something. And you say Yanina played it well?! :help::banghead::smash:

Not a sitter if you can't hit a proper backhand overhead. But I agree with you on the FH put away before that.

C. W. Fields
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Good post! :)
I thought it was a very entertaining match, too. I produced plenty of adrenalin watching it! But no matter how Caro plays, the only matches of hers that most bashers will enjoy watching are the ones she loses. The Pennetta match at Doha is a good example. Caro was really in take-charge mode in that match, hitting winners left and right against a capable opponent. But even though this is exactly what most bashers are screaming for in her matches you barely heard one word of praise from the usual crowd. They couldn't bash her shortcomings the usual way so instead they berated Pennetta for ineptitude though she'd actually been pretty good. Same thing here: Caro was crap and should've lost if Yanina hadn't brainfarted.

On the topic of brainfarting. I remember something Federer (who's not exactly a brainfart) said about how playing Nadal simply wore you down. Being forced to hit 5 'winners' on point after point instead of the usual 1 or 2 simply got to you in the end. Not only do you get tired physically but even more mentally. In my opinion that's one of the reasons why so many of Caro's opponents - including Yanina yesterday - have a hard time conjuring up the necessary sharpness in tight situations at the end of the match: they've been worn down by Caro's persistency (and no, this isn't a 1:1 comparison between Caro and Nadal but some factors are similar).
Yanina knows perfectly well she played a very good match and would have won against almost any other opponent, but she still couldn't put Caro away. That knowledge coupled with the other factors I mentioned is why she faded when serving at 4-5 in both set 2 and 3, I think.

Break My Rapture
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
There's plenty of players who can hit the ball more 'explosively' than Wozniacki and serve faster than her. But simply hitting the ball harder does not make someone a better player and their respective results show that. And one can not seriously consider anyone a better player if it's considered that they're not mentally strong enough to win the big points so if Wickmayer continously failed to convert on the big opportunities , well then that's just her own too bad. So what if she missed a sitter? If she was playing better then she should have still won the next two points and the game. These are all simply excuses. She simply wasn't good enough to win.
I meant that her more explosive strokes were also pretty well geared in yesterday's match, should have said that with it.
Wickmayer was doing everything better. When she blew her chance on that sitter you could already feel Wickmayer would have a letdown, she surprisingly got another break advantage in the 3rd set but the same happened. She didn't get it done in time and the pressure of Wozniacki's defense got to her. She panicked. I wouldn't credit this win to Wozniacki's mental strength, more to Wickmayer's negligence.

DownInAHole
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
You can't be serious if you say that Yanina played well on that bp in the second set. Caro's ball hit the netcord and so slowed down considerably..the logical way was to go crosscourt to Caro's forehand because that's her weaker side..so even if Caro gets to the ball, there's not much she could've done with it anyways.

For the rest..the biggest criticism for Caro is that she is SOOOOOOOO passive. It's no problem being defensive, but Caro is passive. Sure she's her aggressive moments, but those few. She's no Coetzer, she's 1.77...so play like a big girl already!

99% of the time the backhand is the stronger shot but in this match Caroline had roughly double the unforced errors on her backhand than she did on her forehand. I do remember her hitting 3-4 forehands down the line that were out that she should have put away but in general her forehand was the better shot.

TennisFan66
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I thought it was a very entertaining match, too. I produced plenty of adrenalin watching it! But no matter how Caro plays, the only matches of hers that most bashers will enjoy watching are the ones she loses. The Pennetta match at Doha is a good example. Caro was really in take-charge mode in that match, hitting winners left and right against a capable opponent. But even though this is exactly what most bashers are screaming for in her matches you barely heard one word of praise from the usual crowd. They couldn't bash her shortcomings the usual way so instead they berated Pennetta for ineptitude though she'd actually been pretty good. Same thing here: Caro was crap and should've lost if Yanina hadn't brainfarted.

Indeed CW and round and round we go. I'd hate to have the life of those miserable f c u k s. And agree with 'Good post' comment, but this being GM, the usual crowd will just dismiss it as 'seriously *rolls eyes*' .. Sad when someone tries to actually contribute something to discussions in GM; other than a quick hit-and-run insulting comment.

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Caro had made 10 out of 11 semis going into Miami.
Only Sydney at the start of the year.
So now 11 of 13 semis, going for title #15, & holding 8 titles if she wins here

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM

On the topic of brainfarting. I remember something Federer (who's not exactly a brainfart) said about how playing Nadal simply wore you down. Being forced to hit 5 'winners' on point after point instead of the usual 1 or 2 simply got to you in the end. Not only do you get tired physically but even more mentally. In my opinion that's one of the reasons why so many of Caro's opponents - including Yanina yesterday - have a hard time conjuring up the necessary sharpness in tight situations at the end of the match: they've been worn down by Caro's persistency (and no, this isn't a 1:1 comparison between Caro and Nadal but some factors are similar).
Yanina knows perfectly well she played a very good match and would have won against almost any other opponent, but she still couldn't put Caro away. That knowledge coupled with the other factors I mentioned is why she faded when serving at 4-5 in both set 2 and 3, I think.

It wasn't brilliant defense or anything by Caroline that made Yanina fail to close out the bp at 4-4 in the second set. Í mean, come on. That was a total brainfart. Kudos by Caro to still make Yanina pay for it, but the game and basically the match should've been done and closed out right there.

Another thing: Nadal and Caro's defense can't be compared....heck, Caro isn't even the best defender on the tour. What makes Caroline special in her own kind of way is that because she doesn't take risks...she always has a base-form which she can mantain basically for a whole match. Most of the newcomers are like a falling star: brilliant for like 3,4 games but can't hold that form.

That's why Caroline owns all of them, but still hasn't cracked the old elite who CAN hold a brilliant form for a whole match.

Hian
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Yanina :eek:

C. W. Fields
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
It wasn't brilliant defense or anything by Caroline that made Yanina fail to close out the bp at 4-4 in the second set. Í mean, come on. That was a total brainfart. Kudos by Caro to still make Yanina pay for it, but the game and basically the match should've been done and closed out right there.

Another thing: Nadal and Caro's defense can't be compared....heck, Caro isn't even the best defender on the tour. What makes Caroline special in her own kind of way is that because she doesn't take risks...she always has a base-form which she can mantain basically for a whole match. Most of the newcomers are like a falling star: brilliant for like 3,4 games but can't hold that form.

That's why Caroline owns all of them, but still hasn't cracked the old elite who CAN hold a brilliant form for a whole match.

We're kind of talking by each other. I'm focusing on the match as a whole while you're focusing on one single point like it epitomizes the whole match.
And like I said I'm not making a full comparison between Caro and Nadal. I'm just saying sometimes she has an effect on her opponents similar to his.

terjw
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:00 PM

:worship::worship: I didn't see the match yesterday - but just seen what ES show some of the 3rd set. Agree with your point on how come people think it's boring and if they think that - why are they watching any women's tennis.

I do want to pick up on a couple of points though.

Firstly the thing you said that the only valid criticism against her is she hasn't won a slam. I think at the moment that is also unadulterrated crap. Justine won her first slam when she was 21. Kim at 22. Venus pretty much at her 20th birthday only months younger than Caro is now. And the important thing is Caro has been getting better and better at slams. The direction is up and she's given herself chances. If in a year's time and certainly if in 2 year's time she still hasn't won a slam - then and not till then it becomes a legitimate concern whether she can win on the very biggest stage of all.

The second thing is your last para on JJ. I watched her match and JJ looked really good. The best I've seen her play this year. Her serve was really good as well. I think JJ is playing better than Caro. But Caro is tougher. No predictions from me. Can't wait to see it.

Also noticed how both JJ and Caro stood inside the baseline to receive 2nd seves - JJ more so was standing well inside.

DownInAHole
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
:worship::worship: I didn't see the match yesterday - but just seen what ES show some of the 3rd set. Agree with your point on how come people think it's boring and if they think that - why are they watching any women's tennis.

I do want to pick up on a couple of points though.

Firstly the thing you said that the only valid criticism against her is she hasn't won a slam. I think at the moment that is also unadulterrated crap. Justine won her first slam when she was 21. Kim at 22. Venus pretty much at her 20th birthday only months younger than Caro is now. And the important thing is Caro has been getting better and better at slams. The direction is up and she's given herself chances. If in a year's time and certainly if in 2 year's time she still hasn't won a slam - then and not till then it becomes a legitimate concern whether she can win on the very biggest stage of all.

The second thing is your last para on JJ. I watched her match and JJ looked really good. The best I've seen her play this year. Her serve was really good as well. I think JJ is playing better than Caro. But Caro is tougher. No predictions from me. Can't wait to see it.

Also noticed how both JJ and Caro stood inside the baseline to receive 2nd seves - JJ more so was standing well inside.

You can also add Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati and Amelie Mauresmo to the list of players who were older than Caroline is now when they won their first slam.

DownInAHole
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Anyway, back on topic, Missed the match, but I'll be rooting for JJ in the next match as I really want her to get back near the top where she belongs. And the winner out of those two will be my favorite to take the title.

I'm a fan of Caroline so of course I want her to win but a win here for Jelena would give her a nice boost heading into the "real" clay season. I would love to see her get back in form and win her first slam. If she is going to win a slam I don't think she will ever get a better chance than this years French Open.

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I expect a good match with Jankovic. It will tell what Caro needs to improve going forward.
I thought Caroline finished this match playing better than the 4 sets before this final set

Corswandt
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I want to dedicate this song to :hearts: Wicky :hearts: :

cUA1qyKeBLM

CloudAtlas
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I meant that her more explosive strokes were also pretty well geared in yesterday's match, should have said that with it.
Wickmayer was doing everything better. When she blew her chance on that sitter you could already feel Wickmayer would have a letdown, she surprisingly got another break advantage in the 3rd set but the same happened. She didn't get it done in time and the pressure of Wozniacki's defense got to her. She panicked. I wouldn't credit this win to Wozniacki's mental strength, more to Wickmayer's negligence.

Okay ,well then for some weird reason there seems to be hordes of negligent players on the tour when they play Caroline. One too many to simply be a co-incidence.

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
:

The analogy isn't the same, but Ok..we'll go with it. None of those players were no.1 at those ages like Caro does. Caro's losses at the majors aren't even to credible players. Just players who were having a hot streak..and that's the troubling part regarding Caro..it seems like ANYBODY who's having a good day CAN beat her at a major.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Caro develops in this regard at the upcoming majors.

Corswandt
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
The only matchup I can think of that is more NID than this one is Murray vs Anyone on a Slam final.

Wickmayer was her usual self: all intensity, putting on a fierce face and pumping herself up like crazy only to fold and choke like the wimp she is when push came to shove.

Because in terms of actual game, she could well have taken this.

Wickmayer's firepower from the ground is somewhat underrated; granted, Wozniacka is a poor mover on clay, but Wickmayer often managed to hit through her fairly easily, with 2-3 good shots, no more. Her CC BH did a lot of damage (she was clearly winning most of the CC BH duels; so much for the awesomeness of Wozniacka's BH - it only looks good in comparison to her LOLOLOL FH). The consistent quality of her serve also posed a lot of problems to Wozniacka; the only breaks Wozniacka got were those Wickmayer giftwrapped to her.

As for Wozniacka, she was also her usual self: "hitting" the ball as if she was holding a wet rolled newspaper instead of a racquet and reverting to hardk0re pushing when it suited her. Even against Wickmayer, whose footwork is perfunctory at best and who has no idea about how to move on green clay, she had very little with which to dictate rallies or even force errors out of her opponent (nearly all Wickmayer's errors were decidedly unforced). Credit to her for stopping to just spin even her 1st serve in and actually going for it and trying to win quick points off it from halfway up the second set, and also credit for the laughs provided when she attempted to slide before hitting a FH.

Anyways, all is good: that miscreant Wickmayer again makes an ass out of herself, and our "bleeding white" experiment can continue after another lengthy, draining 3-setter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2004-0023,_Erich_von_Falkenhayn.jpg/220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2004-0023,_Erich_von_Falkenhayn.jpg

http://www.vkblog.nl/static/pub/mm/2008/11/1227183146.2881.jpg

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
We're kind of talking by each other. I'm focusing on the match as a whole while you're focusing on one single point like it epitomizes the whole match.
And like I said I'm not making a full comparison between Caro and Nadal. I'm just saying sometimes she has an effect on her opponents similar to his.

Of course you wouldn't focus on that single point..because if Yanina had played it the right way the match would've been over, no? And then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As I said..Caroline's living in the perfect generation for the gamestyle and gameplan she employs. She has a solid base-form which doesn't fluctuate too much. If the opponent is better and can hold form for a whole match? Too good and nothing Caro can really do and hence she loses.

But the generation next is filled with waayyyy too many players who don't know the word consistency...too often brilliant runs of 4,5 games are followed and mixed with runs of 12,13 games of utter uselessness. And then a player like Caro's your worst nightmare, because she doesn't give you free points.

kman
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Of course you wouldn't focus on that single point..because if Yanina had played it the right way the match would've been over, no? And then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
And if it wasn't for the rest of the match, Yanina wouldn't have had that chance.

If Caroline had played her best from beginning to end, match would've been 6-3 6-3.

etc. etc.

bandabou
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM
And if it wasn't for the rest of the match, Yanina wouldn't have had that chance.

If Caroline had played her best from beginning to end, match would've been 6-3 6-3.

etc. etc.

:lol: Of course... the question that remains is: What exactly means Caroline playing her best?

Smitten
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Wickmayer's firepower from the ground is somewhat underrated.

Wouldn't say that. I've always said Yanina needs a bigger ground game to get to the next level.

For a baseliner, she already moves forward on opportunities and her serve, while not great, isn't a weakness.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM
:lol: Of course... the question that remains is: What exactly means Caroline playing her best?
Playing at her best on clay. She would've beaten Wizkmayer easily. She would've been more offensive off the ground and hardly an errors would've been made. She didn't play her best, therefore the match was hardest that it could've been.

Temper1
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG4Yq_DOMMo

Highlights I made

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yanina played Caro the toughest so far this week. I thought Caroline raised her level in the 3rd set. Didnt need to against Jankovic