PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Schedule?!?

A-Bond
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm deeply disappointed after seeing today's schedule. I was SO looking forward to watch Goerges vs. Vesnina on TV and I'm surprised to see that they are scheduled to play the last match on CC on 19:00. Vesnina even has to play Doubles afterwards. I just hate that schedule, there's no reason why they couldn't put Jankovic-McHale or Wozniacki-Wickmayer into the night session. As a similar case, I absolutely do not understand why Wickmayer-Tatishvili was put on CC while Peer-Goerges, Hantuchova-McHale or Petrova-Peng had to play on Althea Gibson.

In the last few weeks I often struggled to comprehend certain schedules. I mean who is creating them and do the players have influence on it? It just sucks to watch Wozniacki-match every day, although I'm looking forward to see Yanina.

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
That is random. The 3 players playing a doubles match (Mirza/Peng/Vesina) are playing 2nd match and last match! i get that they like to space out the 'stars' (Jankovic and Wozniacki) but surely 1st and 3rd would make more sense coz then there's a 'star' in the night session... ah well, I'm sure they have their reasons

Corswandt
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'm deeply disappointed after seeing today's schedule. I was SO looking forward to watch Goerges vs. Vesnina on TV and I'm surprised to see that they are scheduled to play the last match on CC on 19:00. Vesnina even has to play Doubles afterwards. I just hate that schedule, there's no reason why they couldn't put Jankovic-McHale or Wozniacki-Wickmayer into the night session. As a similar case, I absolutely do not understand why Wickmayer-Tatishvili was put on CC while Peer-Goerges, Hantuchova-McHale or Petrova-Peng had to play on Althea Gibson.

In the last few weeks I often struggled to comprehend certain schedules. I mean who is creating them and do the players have influence on it? It just sucks to watch Wozniacki-match every day, although I'm looking forward to see Yanina.

TDs + ATP/WTA supervisors.

Only the very big stars can impose a particular timetable for their own matches.

It can be a bit of a tug-of-war between satisfying the interests of the hosts and the need for a sound, balanced schedule.

In Charleston, I assume the OOP is in large part dictated by the TV schedule - it's being broadcast on ESPN IIRC, and they probably won't cover the evening session, so they want the name players on daytime.

A-Bond
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
That is random. The 3 players playing a doubles match (Mirza/Peng/Vesina) are playing 2nd match and last match! i get that they like to space out the 'stars' (Jankovic and Wozniacki) but surely 1st and 3rd would make more sense coz then there's a 'star' in the night session... ah well, I'm sure they have their reasons

Well I get your point. But it's not really fair towards those players I would create the following schedule:

Stadium (start 13.00)
1. Peng vs. Mirza
2. Vesnina vs. Goerges
3. Wozniacki vs. Wickmayer
4. Jankovic vs. McHale (not before 19:00)

Althea Gibson (start 17.00)
1. Kops-Jones/Spears vs. Peng/Zheng
2. Kudryavtseva/Rodionova vs. Mirza/Vesnina

I mean to play doubles straight after the night session match is a bit silly :o

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Well I get your point. But it's not really fair towards those players I would create the following schedule:

Stadium (start 13.00)
1. Peng vs. Mirza
2. Vesnina vs. Goerges
3. Wozniacki vs. Wickmayer

2. Kudryavtseva/Rodionova vs. Mirza/Vesnina

I mean to play doubles straight after the night session match is a bit silly :o

That would make more sense but they always make allowances for TV coverage.

I've always wondered what a suitable rest is. Is it a set time from the end of singles to the start of doubles or when the player says they are ready??

A-Bond
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
That would make more sense but they always make allowances for TV coverage.

I've always wondered what a suitable rest is. Is it a set time from the end of singles to the start of doubles or when the player says they are ready??

You could even switch Wozniacki-Wickmayer and Vesnina-Goerges so the TV would at least have Wozniacki and it would still be better for Elena.

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
You could even switch Wozniacki-Wickmayer and Vesnina-Goerges so the TV would at least have Wozniacki and it would still be better for Elena.

Yup it's a pisser. But it's not the worst scheduling/tv coverage I've ever seen.

I'm still writhing from them not showing Miami 2009: Serena vs Zheng live. They had showed all the inferior daytime matches and this was the best match, but they didn't show night session live. Eurosport got many angry email from me that day

BlueTrees
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The only matches I'm interested in are Jankovic/McHale and Peng/Mirza.

Meelis
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM

According to the rules it canīt be less than a hour, unless all players agree.

Jorn
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM
This cound have been the better schedule, but ithink ESPN 2 wanted to show Caro's match. Some Eurosport 2 will show JJ today...But they don't show anythng from the night session.

Stadium (start 13.00)
1. Peng vs. Mirza
2. Wozniacki vs. Wickmayer
3. Vesnina vs. Goerges
5. Kudryavtseva/Rodionova vs. Mirza/Vesnina

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
The tv window is for ESPN, they want Caro's matches at the same time each day.
But the players who have doubles matches should also play early

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
According to the rules it canīt be less than a hour, unless all players agree.

Thx =P

young_gunner913
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
So ESPN isn't gonna show the last American woman standing? :o

Jorn
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
No, but there will be a Stream today, and maybe on ESPN3.com

Jankovic played the night match yesterday, so can't be set up already at first match, may be the reason...

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
So ESPN isn't gonna show the last American woman standing? :o

oo now that's a sore point with me...

not so much in this instance because JJ is still one of my favourites to watch, but I HATE HATE HATE when scheduling and tv coverage are altered simply to show the home player. Pre-RG'10, Francesca was time and again one position too far down on the list of desirables to make it to a show court which was televised, yet up on centre court were two players ranked lower than Francesca but one of whom was at home grrrrrr. Wimbledon was the biggest joke, putting Keothavong (mmm watchable) way up the list on court 2 while Francesca was out in no-mans land.

adner
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'd definitely swap Jankovic-McHale with Peng-Mirza as Eurosport covers first two matches. Fortunately Peng is on fire so she might be a joy to watch so I don't really mind that much. Vesnina vs Goerges - I don't mind watching Elena but she's not really at her best lately and Goerges is so overhyped that I want to see the least of her.