PDA

View Full Version : WWW Charleston QF: [1] Wozniacki vs [6] Wickmayer

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Caro wasn't convincing against Strycova but Yanina's more straight forward game should be a better match up for her and I don't think the Belgian is consistent enough to hit Caro off a slow court for a whole match. Unless Caro's groundstrokes are off she wins in two contested sets.

VeeJJ
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I think Wicki got this one. Caro is off and Wicki is actually really good. Wicki in straights

C. W. Fields
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
It should in theory be unusual if the more attacking oriented player Yanina prevails against her on this surface. But that could happen if Caro plays poorly like she did against Barbs.

I always found it strange why Caro struggles on clay. Her solid defensive style should in theory be even more advantageous on this surface than on hard but in reality it isn't. I mean, getting around on this surface should be familiar to a European like her, even if not her favorite surface; but in reality she acts like a Bolletieri Yank who is clueless about (and scared of) sliding. Are there no clay courts in Scandinavia where she grew up?

Sure. All outside courts in Denmark are red clay. But with our weather you can't play outside most of the year so Caro usually played on indoors HC growing up.
And as for her tentative sliding I think it's partly a mental thing because of her injury at FCC last year. If she gets through this tournament unharmed we'll probably see her become more comfortable as the clay season progresses.

QuietPlease
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM
19.00 hours central european time on eurosport.

Go Caro:cheer:

Myggen
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM
It should in theory be unusual if the more attacking oriented player Yanina prevails against her on this surface. But that could happen if Caro plays poorly like she did against Barbs.

I always found it strange why Caro struggles on clay. Her solid defensive style should in theory be even more advantageous on this surface than on hard but in reality it isn't. I mean, getting around on this surface should be familiar to a European like her, even if not her favorite surface; but in reality she acts like a Bolletieri Yank who is clueless about (and scared of) sliding. Are there no clay courts in Scandinavia where she grew up?

It's a bit like Lleyton Hewitt and why he sucks on clay compared to other surfaces. They are pushers/counter punchers with little spin or weight on their shots and clay is a surface where spin bites far more than on hardcourts, especially. So until she hits a better topspin forehand I don't see her excel on clay.

TennisFan66
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Caro is 1.30 ..

Charleston is all about not getting injured. Win or lose. Lose early = less risk. Needless to say, I am not privy to negotiations between Team Wozniacki, WTA and Charleston organizers, but I personally do not see it as a clever decision by Caro to agree to play this tournament. It is not Caro's problem that Charleston had a thin field with no star power. The girl needs to learn to say 'no'.

hpme
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Seems Carol leads in every poll....

Akaniero
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I don't think Wickmayer is consistent or unorthodox/tricky enough to beat Caroline and hit through her.

Wozniacki wins.

Miracle Worker
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wicky probably won't get another such opportunity to win with Caro, so Wicky let's win this :rocker2:

DownInAHole
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
They have only played once and that was over a year and a half ago (2009 US Open semi-final). Caroline won that match 6-3 6-3. I'm hoping that the reason she struggled against Zahlavova-Strycova was due to a matchup problem (Barbora was hitting quite a few drop shots and volleys). Yanina is a completely different player and Caroline should win this in two sets.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I think Caro played better than people are thinking. She was 1 point from 5-1 in set 1, and Strycova must have hit 10 good drop shots that match
Caro 64 63

TuxedoSlam
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I think Nina has a small chance to win this.

Uranus
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Yanina is a good matchup for Caroline. Doesn't hit deep enough for a ballbasher, not consistent enough either. Straight-set win.

KBlade
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yanina needs to blatantly target that forehand if she wants to win.