PDA

View Full Version : Charleston R3 Mirza def. Lisicki 6-4 6-4

Noctis
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
didn't see this coming,but Shushu has a better chance for the final :oh:

Mightymirza
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
:eek: Who woulda thought!! Well done sania..

young_gunner913
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Come the fuck on Sania!! My one bit of happiness today!! :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:21 AM
It's good to see Sania playig so well again :yeah: The QTRs of a WTA clay tourney :eek::worship:

Pump-it-UP
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Knew this was coming after all of the "Sabine's back!!!" posts from yesterday. :o Still a good week for her though, so hopefully she can build on it. :hug:

Sania :woohoo:

égalité
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
fabulous :hearts:

Michael!
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Losing to Mirza on clay is pathetic, as pathetic as the match was, both were terrible it seems, Lisickiīs serve was awful and she just couldnt take her chances, Mirza gave her one chance after another to come back but Lisicki wasted them all, reminds me of Miami where she also played horrible after she played a good match before, still no consistency, just when you think that she finally is back she disappoints you again, probably wanted too much again and was too tight...good tournament in general and some important points but well, she is still far away from coming back to old strength..

Sharapovian
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Well done Sania.

Sabine :tears: :hug:

Kipling
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Ahem...

Miss Amor
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM
URGH :o :o :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Monika05mtt/random/5vdw5d.gif

njnetswill
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Tennis players rarely back up big upsets. It's why upsets are so much more common than "great runs."

Apoorv
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Good one Sania!!

saniapower
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Losing to Mirza on clay is pathetic, as pathetic as the match was, both were terrible it seems, Lisickiīs serve was awful and she just couldnt take her chances, Mirza gave her one chance after another to come back but Lisicki wasted them all, reminds me of Miami where she also played horrible after she played a good match before, still no consistency, just when you think that she finally is back she disappoints you again, probably wanted too much again and was too tight...good tournament in general and some important points but well, she is still far away from coming back to old strength..

How you make those comments? Have you seen the match?

CillyUltra
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Nothing to worry about Sabine, she's definetly on her way back now. She isn't consistent enough, but that's not a shocker in her situation. Hope she'll get much more matches now in WTA Q's after Stuttgart.

Next year she'll play for the title again in Charleston. :wavey:

new-york
Absolutely FANTAB. :inlove:

Patrick345
Mirza vs. Peng
Goerges vs. Vesnina

Awesome half for an ITF event.

Vikapower
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Gosh. But Sabine should slighty ameliorate her ranking again... she's doing much more better I'm finding... just needs to keep patient and work.

lovethetennis
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Congrats to Sania, better luck next time Bine :hug:

DownInAHole
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Hmm, this is a bit surprising. I thought Sabine had a very good chance to win this.

Michael!
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:38 AM
How you make those comments? Have you seen the match?

donīt need to watch the match, it was obvious that Sabineīs serve was totally off today, just awful and no offense, but Sabine is just better player than Mirza, especially on clay, so no need to discuss about it that Sabine for sure didnīt play great today :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:40 AM
In one single tournament Sania Mirza has doubled her seven year career total of WTA main draw wins on clay. Absolutely amazing. Obviously Sania is playing better, or at least more consistently good, tennis now than she has in a couple of years but even so I certainly didn't see this coming when she began the week in qualifying and doubt very many other people did either.

Well done Sania. :yeah:

Craig.
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Sabine :sad:

Linguae^
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Bottome draw is a joke. :lol: :o

Apoorv
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM
To be fair to Sania, this is probably the first time she is healthy during a clay season in her career. Touch Wood!!

To all those who underestimate Sania, she is a good player who could not play good tennis since 2008 due to wrist injury and now she is finally physically and i think mentally fit enough to focus on tennis. With a good team by her side, the results should now improve. Although Peng is hot favourite to win the QF, I would not make the mistake of taking Sania lightly if I were Shuai Peng.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Sania :eek: :cheer:
Sabine :( :hug:

Miracle Worker
Sabine :help:

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/148392d1281846012-animated-gif-thread-1281761569556.gif

saniapower
donīt need to watch the match, it was obvious that Sabineīs serve was totally off today, just awful and no offense, but Sabine is just better player than Mirza, especially on clay, so no need to discuss about it that Sabine for sure didnīt play great today :tape:

I agree on that point. I know Sania's level very well. Sabine is definitely better player. She has beaten Sania in ASB classic qualies this year in tight 3 sets. But what i'm wondering whether Sania has suddenly raised her level bcoz she is on a winning streak here and that also on clay. very surprising. I have not witnessed her recent matches.

Tuckii
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Wasted chance Sabine :help:

simonsaystennis
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Omg Sabine :sobbing: Wasted opportunity.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Mirza/Peng
Vesnina/Goerges
A wide open bottom half

homogenius
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM

debatle.not sure there's much difference between them

FERLKE
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM
future GOAT :lol: ;)

Well done Sania! :angel:

Sam.
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM
:woohoo:

iGOAT
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
SANIA :woohoo: this is so great :armed: if Dulgheru can beat Peng on clay, you can on hard ;).

new-york
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM
SANIA :woohoo: this is so great :armed: if Dulgheru can beat Peng on clay, you can on hard ;).

?tahw

hurricanejeanne
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Impressive!

tonybotz
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:37 AM
i always root for Sania because i feel bad about how far she has to fly - lol - totally insane - :umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella:

Natash.
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM
?tahw

:lol:

Way to go Sania ;) Happy she won. Would have liked to see Lisicki through but I like Sania too. Very nice girl.

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Sabine. :facepalm: Thrashes a top 10 player and then loses to Mirza.

Randy H
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Sabine :o Not that Bartoli's a great win on clay, but you'd have thought if she could beat Marion she'd take care of Sania pretty handily too...At least some positives for the week though

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:55 AM
WOW Sania :bolt: never saw this coming
great result :eek:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM
debatle.not sure there's much difference between them

Absolutely right. Someone had to say it.

Whatever criteria one uses it is hard to make a legitimate case that Lisicki is better than Mirza. Lisicki has spent just over a year in the top 50 peaking at 22. Mirza has spent 2 and half years in the top 50 peaking at 27. Both have won one tournament. Mirza is also an excellent doubles player, Lisicki is at best a very mediocre doubles player. Both players have been beset by injuries during their careers. Both are now healthy and working their way back up the rankings. However Mirza is clearly at present doing a much better job of climbing back up the rankings than is Lisicki.

This is reflected in a) their current rankings (Mirza 90, Lisicki 182), b) the ranking points the two players have gained thus far this year (Mirza 573, Lisicki 264) and c) the result of this match. Yes, Lisicki during her career has had more success on clay than Mirza but this result shows that right now Mirza even playing on her worst surface is better than Lisicki playing on her best surface.

Ashi
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Sania :bowdown:

PLP
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Really?

I think Sania has at least top 20 potential and a top 5 forehand when on.
Though Sabine is very talented, I haven't seen any 'evidence' that she is a better player than Sania. Still awesome week for both of them.

Sania.:bigclap:
So happy right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sabine :hug:
Still, great week.

danieln1
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Good one Sania.....

now just go one further!!

nevetssllim
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Amazing! :inlove:

olivero
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Sabine :awww:

Beat
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Knew this was coming after all of the "Sabine's back!!!"

this.
congrats to sania :yeah:

CillyUltra
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Both players have been beset by injuries during their careers. Both are now healthy and working their way back up the rankings. However Mirza is clearly at present doing a much better job of climbing back up the rankings than is Lisicki.

This is reflected in a) their current rankings (Mirza 90, Lisicki 182), b) the ranking points the two players have gained thus far this year (Mirza 573, Lisicki 264) and c) the result of this match. Yes, Lisicki during her career has had more success on clay than Mirza but this result shows that right now Mirza even playing on her worst surface is better than Lisicki playing on her best surface.

They had slightly different kind of injuries. ;)

However, a serious ankle injury suffered last March at Indian Wells (Calif.) derailed Lisicki's quest for world domination.
Now, after months of rehabilitation, she is trying to claw her back among the elite of women's tennis.
"It was very unlucky," she said of the ankle injury, which cost her more than four months on the WTA Tour. "When you're on crutches for six weeks, you lose all of your muscle (strength), so you really start from zero. Even walking is hard. You have to learn everything (over again) like you are a little kid.
"It takes a lot of time and effort to get back the strength that you used to have," she added.

http://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article_ab646e78-2c16-5dc4-a066-e71763ff8dbf.html?mode=image&photo=1

skanky~skanketta
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Sania! :hearts: So happy!!!

skanky~skanketta
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
They had slightly different kind of injuries. ;)

http://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article_ab646e78-2c16-5dc4-a066-e71763ff8dbf.html?mode=image&photo=1 Both were serious.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Congratz, Mirza :)

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Would have preferred a German victory, but happy for Sania all the same. Good tournament for both of them!

CillyUltra
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Both were serious.

Lisicki basically had to learn to walk again, also her comeback was later.

LUVMIRZA
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Good revenge Sania:cheer::cheer: Sabine:hug: Next up is a tough cookie:help:

Hian
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
OMG :weirdo:

cellophane
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Very nice for Sania to have this kind of result :woohoo:

Sabine :(

nevetssllim
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Lisicki basically had to learn to walk again, also her comeback was later.

Mirza's wrist injury was also very serious. I don't know why you're trying to turn it into a contest because I'm guessing they were both career threatening.

CloudAtlas
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
A good win by Mirza , hoping she can be back in the top 50 this year.

Aramitz_II
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM

What a ....load of .... Shitting here and commenting a macth as being an expert without even seeing it, is ridiculous on the far side. :weirdo::weirdo:

Sabinator.
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sabine :awww: :hug:

JamieOwen3
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
i knew not to get too exited after her last match :sad:
well done to sania though :yeah:

saul1333
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Sabine :sad:

CillyUltra
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM
What a ....load of .... Shitting here and commenting a macth as being an expert without even seeing it, is ridiculous on the far side. :weirdo::weirdo:

Lisicki's serve stats in 2nd set:

36% 1st serve
22% 1st s. pts won
31% 2nd s. pts won

:secret:

Ferg
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
MARION :hysteric:

BlueTrees
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
:(