PDA

View Full Version : 2000 top 10 would still be top 10

sebbe
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Watching Wozniacki vs Barbora and get totally frustrated.
It's like watching tennis from the 80's and I really believe that most of the players from
top 10 2000 would beat most of the players on the tour today. I get depressed by the game today when I remember the good battle back then.
This year's Roland Garros will be like the worst ever!

No Player Name Nation
1 Martina Hingis SUI
2 Lindsay Davenport
3 Venus Williams USA
4 Monica Seles USA
5 Conchita Martínez ESP
6 Serena Williams USA
7 Mary Pierce FRA
8 Arantxa Sánchez Vicario ESP
9 Anna Kournikova RUS
10 Nathalie Tauziat FRA

Sammo
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
No, they are better players but now they are old and slow... :sobbing:

sebbe
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Lol I meant if they would be playing now as they were then!

Sammo
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
ah, then yes

CloudAtlas
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
If the current crop of players were playing to their full capacity then no they wouldn't be. There's plenty of injured and slumping players on tour right now who have been near or at the top but are just struggling with form.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Most of those players would get destroyed by Wozniacki :spit:

sammy01
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
If the current crop of players were playing to their full capacity then no they wouldn't be. There's plenty of injured and slumping players on tour right now who have been near or at the top but are just struggling with form.

what? you think hingis, davenport, pierce and the williams sisters would be struggling to hold a top 10 ranking? they spent years beating up on zvonareva and fran 2 of the current top 5 lol

sebbe
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Sure players are in a slump but I feel like players back then could play on a higher lever more often then nowdays. Wozniacki in todays match reminds me of Agnes Montoglio (no idea if I spelled that correctly)...

itzhak
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Do you think that all these players were playing her best level during ALL their matches? really?

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
There's no doubt the women's game has taken a step backwards in the past 2 years

_marial_
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Anna Kournikova in the top ten :spit:

Hian
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Life goes on.
Past is cried from those people who have no future.

Sund7101
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Remember when all of those players played in Charleston. There were some great matches!

pav
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Good ol days again! It's like comparing a black and white tv to a new l.e.d. bugger!

crazillo
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I would kinda like to see today's brainfarts play vs. Tauziat...

JJ all the way
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
serena 2000-2003 was so much better than now..but she has won alot of majors post 2003

RenaSlam.
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Yep.

Matt01
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Anna Kournikova in the top ten :spit:

This

TennisFan66
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Good ol days again! It's like comparing a black and white tv to a new l.e.d. bugger!

Indeed. The good old days. Ah yes, if only we had a time machine :rolleyes:

Ben Johnson was the bestest 100 meter runner ever! 1988 peak year. Oh wait ...

KV
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Probably.

The Daviator
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah, Tauziat would be really be crushing all in her path if she was playing today :help:

The Dawntreader
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, Tauziat would be really be crushing all in her path if she was playing today :help:

Well in 2000 she was beating Serena in tour finals, taking sets off PeakVenus, maintaining a top 5 ranking. Not exactly that laughable at all.

erschloy214
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
4 USA girls in the top 10...those were the days :-)

QuietPlease
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Sure, and Pelé would score at least 5 goals in every match if he still played soccer today...

Next thread.

TennisFan66
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Sure, and Pelé would score at least 5 goals in every match if he still played soccer today...

Next thread.

Not if it was against Argentina with Maradona! The Argies would then win 6-5 due to a double hat trick by the little magician :angel:

LCS
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
That top 6, excluding Martinez, would still blaze through the curretn top 10.

CloudAtlas
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM
what? you think hingis, davenport, pierce and the williams sisters would be struggling to hold a top 10 ranking? they spent years beating up on zvonareva and fran 2 of the current top 5 lol

Oh, well I was counting the Williams as the 'current players' :p

I was responding to the point of the OP that the current crop are just simply not good enough as the previous players as they said Caro's game is '80's tennis' and in effect criticising the talent of the overall tour. None of the women that were in the top 10 in 2000 bar the Williams won a Grand Slam after that year anyway.

I'm not saying the women's tour isn't currently experiencing some major problems in terms of consistency and overall form of the top players but I don't think it's fair to say the current players can't play as well when playing to their full capacity.

Roookie
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:36 AM

This says it all :help:

*hingis_forever*
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Not if it was against Argentina with Maradona! The Argies would then win 6-5 due to a double hat trick by the little magician :angel:
Yeah, I'm sure he would lend a helping hand.

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Do concentrate on inventing the time machine instead of posting here, because that's the only way for your dreams to come true.

terjw
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Watching Wozniacki vs Barbora and get totally frustrated.
It's like watching tennis from the 80's and I really believe that most of the players from
top 10 2000 would beat most of the players on the tour today. I get depressed by the game today when I remember the good battle back then.
This year's Roland Garros will be like the worst ever!

No Player Name Nation
1 Martina Hingis SUI
2 Lindsay Davenport
3 Venus Williams USA
4 Monica Seles USA
5 Conchita Martínez ESP
6 Serena Williams USA
7 Mary Pierce FRA
8 Arantxa Sánchez Vicario ESP
9 Anna Kournikova RUS
10 Nathalie Tauziat FRA

Disagree

You (and I mean posters in geeral) always look back at past players and think of them at their best forgetting when they played ugly. You then compare today's players after watching an ugly match with your memories of golden matches..You yourself clarified in a subsequent post you are comparing today's players with your above list when they were at their best.

It's rather like life and when you are at work. People always grumble that it's better somewhere else - the grass is alwaays greener on the other side. :lol:

The "so-called "golden age of better players back then is so overdone and overrated.

Bonfire
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
WOZ:rocker2:

BepaMaria
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Well it's true to a certain extent, even Davenport, Hingis, Capriati and WS could beat peak Pushniacki when playing at their worst, much less the other players. Pushniacki's h2h against the WS already proves my point. Enough said.

Bonfire
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Some of yall are going to think this sounds crazy but I think Caro would have been in the top five in the year 2000. Her game isn't like the others but it's effective and dangerous even still.

hpme
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I don't think Kournikova can beat a top 10 player for now. haha

L'Enfant Sauvage
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Disagree

You (and I mean posters in geeral) always look back at past players and think of them at their best forgetting when they played ugly. You then compare today's players after watching an ugly match with your memories of golden matches..You yourself clarified in a subsequent post you are comparing today's players with your above list when they were at their best.

It's rather like life and when you are at work. People always grumble that it's better somewhere else - the grass is alwaays greener on the other side. :lol:

The "so-called "golden age of better players back then is so overdone and overrated.

I think the point is, the 2000 top ten's "worst" was a lot better than today's, and their best was considerably better. Naturally, tennis players are not robots so they can't play their best all the time, but these is definite truth to the OP's argument. V&S, Hingis and Linds were capable of playing poor matches, but when was the last time you saw one of our top ten play like Venus and Hingis did during that 2000 USO Semifinal? Using that particular year as an example anyway. If you could use that "time machine" that everyone keeps bringing up, and transport 2000's top ten to now, very few if any of our players would be in the upper ranks. (And that's not even mentioning Kim and Justine who would really break through in the coming year or two.)

Some of yall are going to think this sounds crazy but I think Caro would have been in the top five in the year 2000. Her game isn't like the others but it's effective and dangerous even still.

I think top five is a bit of a stretch, especially considering there was Hingis whose ranking was gained in a similar manner to Caro's(large quantity of wins outside of slams, later rounds in them.) Only problem was, Hingis was (sorry) a better player. that said, Caro is probably the ONLY player from today's top 10 I could see staying in, probably hovering around 7-10.

Miracle Worker
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Martina Hingis will have a big chance to win her maiden title in Roland Garros if she decides to back this year...

BepaMaria
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I think the point is, the 2000 top ten's "worst" was a lot better than today's, and their best was considerably better. Naturally, tennis players are not robots so they can't play their best all the time, but these is definite truth to the OP's argument. V&S, Hingis and Linds were capable of playing poor matches, but when was the last time you saw one of our top ten play like Venus and Hingis did during that 2000 USO Semifinal? Using that particular year as an example anyway. If you could use that "time machine" that everyone keeps bringing up, and transport 2000's top ten to now, very few if any of our players would be in the upper ranks. (And that's not even mentioning Kim and Justine who would really break through in the coming year or two.)

I think top five is a bit of a stretch, especially considering there was Hingis whose ranking was gained in a similar manner to Caro's(large quantity of wins outside of slams, later rounds in them.) Only problem was, Hingis was (sorry) a better player. that said, Caro is probably the ONLY player from today's top 10 I could see staying in, probably hovering around 7-10.

What about Kim, Sharapova and Serena? Why is CARO favoured over them? This post us seriously an insult and a disrespect to these game's greats.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:33 AM
What about Kim, Sharapova and Serena? Why is CARO favoured over them? This post us seriously an insult and a disrespect to these game's greats.

Well I forgot about Kim since I was mainly thinking about players in the Top 10 now, who hadn't been around/broken through then. But yeah, Kim would be in. Doubtful about Pova(nowadays,) as she has enough trouble beating today's "top" players. 04-08Pova would be in for sure, but I'm still not convinced yet. Serena as of 2011 wouldn't be in because the only reason she's in NOW is because our top ten sucks so bad that someone who has about three tournaments to their ranking(and hasn't played in nine months) can make it in. That and the fact that she was already in the 2000's top ten at #6 anyway.

sebbe
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Totally agree with Chris. I'm not using this thread to bring back memories, I just mean that it shows us that todays level of professional tennis is total crap.

MBM
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
to be honest I would love to have been born in time to see tennis from the late 80s. There's no feel anymore.

petkoan
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Martina Hingis will have a big chance to win her maiden title in Roland Garros if she decides to back this year...

I second that

amirbachar
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not so sure about the whole top ten, but in general the level was much higher back then.

I've made a statistical analysis:
http://simtheworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/wta-rankings-1997-2010.html