PDA

View Full Version : Wertheim on Maria: "I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance".

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/04/06/mailbag/1.html

Canon may have whiffed with "Image is Everything." But Sharapova's catchphrase, "Make every shot a power shot," is, sadly, accurate. I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance.

The Witch-king
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
You posted this because of people like JJ, Woz and Safina I assume

tea
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
And the purpose of this thread is...

:confused:

RenaSlam.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
K.

eDonkey
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sadly, the truth.

Sp!ffy
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
But Sharapova's catchphrase, "Make every shot a power shot," is, sadly, accurate. I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance.

Ooh, how clever of him. :rolleyes:

madmax
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Sadly, the truth.

sadly? I'd say no knowing that this style of play brought her 3 GS titles at the age of 20 and made her the best paid female athlete of all time...

volta
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Oh , i'd love to hear what he has to say about Rezai

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Its only been 6 months since Dementieva retired and Na,Li is still a top 10 player.. Wertheim :smash:

Natash.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
He's such a loser. :lol:

tea
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
sadly? I'd say no knowing that this style of play brought her 3 GS titles at the age of 20 and made her the best paid female athlete of all time...
To be fair, this is not true.;) Her style of play has virtually nothing to do with it.

Miracle Worker
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
?

Any new things about Sharapova's way of playing?

Sp!ffy
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
To be fair, this is not true.;) Her style of play has virtually nothing to do with it.

Yes, it does. Sharapova's game is exciting and people like to watch her play. Thousands of spectators dont go to her match just because she's good looking.

You, out of all people, should know that. It's not a coincidence that Caro always draws empty crowds.

tea
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Yes, it does. Sharapova's game is exciting and people like to watch her play. Thousands of spectators dont go to her match just because she's good looking.

You, out of all people, should know that. It's not a coincidence that Caro always draws empty crowds.
No, you won't change my opinion on that. Masha's game is exciting indeed (not these days, of course), but the game itself it not what made her most paid female athlete ever. This is so simple that doesn't require any explanation.

Always? How about to turn on TV and watch some Charleston?:hug: It's only a 3rd round match, I mind you.

Miracle Worker
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Always? How about to turn on TV and watch some Charleston?:hug: It's only a 3rd round match, I mind you.

They are waiting for The Empress :p

Vikapower
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM
ROFL !! Ok I agree. Bye bye. Next.

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Bullshit. Maria was never great because she hit every ball as hard as she possibly could, which is what he's trying to imply.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM

If I am not mistaken, he said TOP player.
I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Two words that describe Sharapova's game.

Brainless ballbasher.

madmax
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Two words that describe Sharapova's game.

Brainless ballbasher.

two words to describe yourself:
Useless tool

iPatty
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Bullshit. Maria was never great because she hit every ball as hard as she possibly could, which is what he's trying to imply.

Why does she win matches then? :scared:

volta
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM

top 100 , top 2000, top 10 , top 20 etc. it's all top

and i had that written on my post but i edited it

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
two words to describe yourself:
Useless tool
One words to describe your post:

Childish.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
One words to describe your post:

Childish.

No words to describe you. :bowdown:

TennisFan66
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Where is the bubble world guys like you are living?

Matt01
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Yes, that's exactly the reason for lots of them...

doomsday
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Where is the bubble world guys like you are living?

Don't bother, we don't want you with us.:wavey:

Break My Rapture
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Na has far less margin for error on her strokes, if not any at all.
This.

Break My Rapture
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Yes, that's exactly the reason for lots of them...
:yawn:

I guess that's why the stands aren't always filled to the brim when Wozniacki plays then.

Vartan
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Maria on Wertheim: "I can't recall that I gave a shit."

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:13 PM
No words to describe you. :bowdown:

He is a fan of "La Pusher", what do you expect :shrug:.

He has a thing Called "Word Life" as its username, I think he needs a second part of it instead. :rolleyes:

Matt01
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
He is a fan of "La Pusher", what do you expect :shrug:.

So because one is a fan of Wozniacki one cannot be taken seriously? What kind of argumentation is that :weirdo:

Olórin
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Maria on Wertheim: "I can't recall that I gave a shit."

I hope she hears about this from someone and makes a comment to the effect of "Who is this?. A 'journalist'."

LCS
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
WErtheim should keep his mouth shut sometimes :rolleyes:

The Dawntreader
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Sharapova doesn't have to try and justify her style of play at all. It's a proven championship winning formula, and i'm not even a fan.

Wertheim occasionally comes out with these 'epiphanies', that either someone has documented years earlier, or something that doesn't even matter.

The Witch-king
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Sharapova doesn't have to try and justify her style of play at all. It's a proven championship winning formula, and i'm not even a fan.

Wertheim occasionally comes out with these 'epiphanies', that either someone has documented years earlier, or something that doesn't even matter.

I'm not familiar with this guys work but what he said is really stating th eobvious.

The Dawntreader
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm not familiar with this guys work but what he said is really stating th eobvious.

Oh he always comes up with some shit which he thinks noone has the wit to discern for themselves. He's such an illegitimate literary sports figure anyway.

Vee Williams
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Wertheim is stretching the definition himself.

Marco Fernandes
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Who the hell is Whertheim? LOL :rolleyes:

Sean.
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
It's funny how many people have no clue about Maria's game. Her groundstrokes were always more about laser-like precision than raw power.

tea
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
It's funny how many people have no clue about Maria's game. Her groundstrokes were always more about laser-like precision than raw power.
Keep on popping up enlighting us dummies about the sport. What would we do without you.

Apoleb
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Maria has pretty much no variation in the type of ball she hits or in her approach to the game point by point and match by match. I think that's what he means, and he's right. It's hard to find such one-dimensionality appealing. Even other ball bashers like Lindsey and Venus brought a lot more. Venus could afford to play defense, or play at the net. Lindsey had amazing hands at the net.

Maria plays like a machine and interestingly her mental approach is also geared like one.

homogenius
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Her game has/had litlle to no nuance.That's just a fact :shrug: At her peak it was really effective though and she had one big strengh to compensate the limitations of her game : her fighting spirit.

gc-spurs
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Maria has pretty much no variation in the type of ball she hits or in her approach to the game point by point and match by match. I think that's what he means, and he's right. It's hard to find such one-dimensionality appealing. Even other ball bashers like Lindsey and Venus brought a lot more. Venus could afford to play defense, or play at the net. Lindsey had amazing hands at the net.

Maria plays like a machine and interestingly her mental approach is also geared like one.

She's also marrying 'The Machine'. :eek:

madmax
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM

:lol:
It's comical to read the "experts" of this board claiming how all Maria does is bash the ball senselessly. Like any brainless basher has a chance to win a slam and beat 7 opponents in a row just by hitting the ball as hard as she can. I guess only we Maria fans can see the subtleties in her ballstriking which separate her from the bunch of her her wannabes and immitators.

Kitten63
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
She's also marrying 'The Machine'. :eek:

miffedmax
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Its only been 6 months since Dementieva retired and Na,Li is still a top 10 player.. Wertheim :smash:

:rolleyes: I have tried to EXPLAIN to you and the other INFIDELS on this board the subtle, Sun Tzuesque genius of Elena's "She Can't Possibly Be Going to Hit Another Hard Crosscourt Shot" strategy.

This has been what's missing from the post-injury TOB's game, frankly, and it's how she compensated for her so-so movement.

Sean.
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:16 AM
It's comical to read the "experts" of this board claiming how all Maria does is bash the ball senselessly. Like any brainless basher has a chance to win a slam and beat 7 opponents in a row just by hitting the ball as hard as she can. I guess only we Maria fans can see the subtleties in her ballstriking which separate her from the bunch of her her wannabes and immitators.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me here or not. :unsure:

Keep on popping up enlighting us dummies about the sport. What would we do without you.

:help:

iPatty
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:26 AM
He's not saying that she's a brainless ballbasher who tries to hit every shot as hard as she can, he's just saying that for an elite level player, she has no clue how to do anything besides hit the same ball over and over again.

I mean she might occasionally try a drop shot but he is right in that she is pretty much the only multi-slam winner who can't do much besides hit the ball hard. :shrug:

So Disrespectful
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Make every shot a home run?

Vartan
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I miss Maria's Canon commercials :sad:

fKNUXAPIAgA

KBlade
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Na has far less margin for error on her strokes, if not any at all.

This.

I think Na has a similiar amount of margin on her strokes, it's just the fact that most of the time, she's a mental head case and starts spraying errors everywhere when things get close.

The Witch-king
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Who said anything about her being brainless or hitting the ball senselessly?

99% of her game is hitting the ball as hard as she can. It work(ed) most of the time in the past so I don't know what's senseless about that.

bandabou
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Maria's game is pretty straight-forward. But this comes because she's limited athletic-wise, so for her there's no other way.

chuvack
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Masha arrived to the WTA at an extremely favorable time for her, when women's tennis was in decline following a very vibrant 7 or 8 year period. The fact that Masha has been so successful, both in terms of her tennis results and her sex appeal-based branding, says more about a general low level of competition in these areas than it does about Masha's elegance, both tennis-wise and appearance-wise.

That said, Sharapova is a true professional and she earned everything she got from tennis.

jacobruiz
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Maria's game is pretty straight-forward. But this comes because she's limited athletic-wise, so for her there's no other way.

I guess I'm bored a bit, Bandy, because I decided to count how many Maria bashing posts you've written in Maria threads. I quit counting after 52 in less than a week.

Obsessed much? :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Its true, but it works and she is incredibly good at it. Im sure a ton of peolpe wish they had that amount of power and manage to stay consistent with it.

jacobruiz
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Masha arrived to the WTA at an extremely favorable time for her, when women's tennis was in decline following a very vibrant 7 or 8 year period. The fact that Masha has been so successful, both in terms of her tennis results and her sex appeal-based branding, says more about a general low level of competition in these areas than it does about Masha's elegance, both tennis-wise and appearance-wise.

That said, Sharapova is a true professional and she earned everything she got from tennis.

Maria may have had little competition to her beauty and sex appeal but I'd say Serena, Venus, Justine, and Kim were pretty competitive tennis wise. :shrug:

That Maria was and is a true professional and earned everything she got from tennis (except perhaps a career derailing shoulder injury) goes without saying, of course.

madmax
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM

that very "weak" tour still had multiple slam winners playing in their prime and denying her some additional big titles... I can't even fathom how prime Maria would own this helpless era of pushers, where the Nr. 1 ranked player wins her matches thanks to unforced errors from her opponents.

Smitten
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I mean she might occasionally try a drop shot but he is right in that she is pretty much the only multi-slam winner who can't do much besides hit the ball hard. :shrug:

Venus Williams.

Lapaco
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Venus Williams.

lmao

volta
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Venus Williams.

:help:

Six Feet Under
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Lol

pov
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Pam Shriver: Of the three majors Sharapova’s won, the most impressive, to me, was the last one at the Australian Open. In Australia, Maria was hitting slice approach shots, drop shots, and angles. She had the whole thing going. I will always remember that tournament because she incorporated some variety and finesse shots that set her apart.

bandabou
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I guess I'm bored a bit, Bandy, because I decided to count how many Maria bashing posts you've written in Maria threads. I quit counting after 52 in less than a week.

Obsessed much? :lol:

This wasn't a bashing post. Maria doesn't the athletic ability of say a Serena, Venus..the other elite power-players or the volleying skills of Davenport ( a player who was limited athletic-wise too just like Maria)...so it's hard for her to bring any nuance in her game.

Her game at the top of her abilities was top 5/6 easy, so this is no bashing.

atominside
Apr 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
This wasn't a bashing post. Maria doesn't the athletic ability of say a Serena, Venus..the other elite power-players or the volleying skills of Davenport ( a player who was limited athletic-wise too just like Maria)...so it's hard for her to bring any nuance in her game.

top 5/6, really :rolleyes:

Break My Rapture
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think Na has a similiar amount of margin on her strokes, it's just the fact that most of the time, she's a mental head case and starts spraying errors everywhere when things get close.
I disagree. Na's game is the epitome of having no margin for error at all. For me, none of the other top players come even close. I remember her match against Azarenka at Melbourne very well, A LOT of Na's shots were blatantly clipping the last edges of the line that day.
She goes from getting hot at Sydney and AO to losing 5 straight matches.

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM
that very "weak" tour still had multiple slam winners playing in their prime and denying her some additional big titles... I can't even fathom how prime Maria would own this helpless era of pushers, where the Nr. 1 ranked player wins her matches thanks to unforced errors from her opponents.

Really nice how you managed to include a dig at Wozniacki in your post.
BTW, Maria is still playing, if she is so good then why is not dominating this "helpless era of pushers"? Instead she is getting dominated by a "pusher" like Wozniacki left and right :tape:

pov
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM

First, you're misusing the term "athletic" ( a common misuse). Second, Sharapova and any player in the top 100 has more than good enough movement to bring nuance to their game.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Sharapova has no variety, what are most of her fans/tards in here thinking? :cuckoo:

She hits the ball hard, that's it.

pov
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yep that's it. Nothing else to it. :haha:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Venus Williams.

why :sobbing:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Sharapova has no variety, what are most of her fans/tards in here thinking? :cuckoo:

:lol:.

She is the GOAT since she won 3 slams with no variety at all :bigclap:.

I bet you envy her right :angel:

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Yep that's it. Nothing else to it. :haha:
No, not much. She hits the ball hard and occasionally doesn't. That's it.
:lol:.

She is the GOAT since she won 3 slams with no variety at all :bigclap:.

I bet you envy her right :angel:
Did you just say she was the GOAT? :lol:

debby
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Serenidad is trying way too hard. :help:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
No, not much. She hits the ball hard and occasionally doesn't. That's it.

Did you just say she was the GOAT? :lol:

She has to be :). I mean according to you, she just hits the ball hard, she is just a simple brainless ballbasher :shrug:.

I find it really interesting, on how she won three slams doing just that :). There is no other explanation isn't it :) She's the GOAT :angel:

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
She has to be :). I mean according to you, she just hits the ball hard, she is just a simple brainless ballbasher :shrug:.

I find it really interesting, on how she won three slams doing just that :). There is no other explanation isn't it :) She's the GOAT :angel:
She just hits the ball hard, doesn't mean she does it badly. She does it well sometimes, but she's so one dimensional, she makes Ivo Karlovic look like Roger Federer.
She won 3 slams doing that because the competition must've been pathetic and weak :lol:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
She just hits the ball hard, doesn't mean she does it badly. She does it well sometimes, but she's so one dimensional, she makes Ivo Karlovic look like Roger Federer.
She won 3 slams doing that because the competition must've been pathetic and weak :lol:

I am so jealous about your Tennis knowledge :angel:.

On the other hand, Wozniacki makes Murray look like a ballbasher :lol:

doomsday
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Yeah beating the likes of Davenport, Serena, Mauresmo, Justine Henin is nothing. She is so lucky to be the only player who won majors against more experienced players in her first finals but it's pure luck.:rolleyes:
Just get the hell out of this thread and go support your pusher who is winning God knows how.

atominside
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM

SLAMS |NOTABLE OPPONENTS
1st slam WIMBLEDON: davenport, serena
2nd slam US OPEN : mauresmo, henin
3rd slam AUS OPEN : davenport, dementieva,henin,jankovic, ivanovic.

I dont think her competition was weak.

debby
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Are you inlove with chµck? according to tea's thread, and you know,you are quite a newbie. Quite impressive.

You both should make up , you are such a cute couple. :kiss: I am not jealous :lol:

Fuzzylogic
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Well the competition is even more pathetic and weaker as of now, yet Wozniacki is still slamless and she's 3years older than Sharapova at her first slam win.

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Well the competition is even more pathetic and weaker as of now, yet Wozniacki is still slamless and she's 3years older than Sharapova at her first slam win.

This argument doesn't make a lot of sense considering Pova won her first Slam at a very young age but few years later was already washed up. ;) I'd rather take Caro's approach then to not win the biggest tournaments too early and rather improve steadily :p

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
This argument doesn't make a lot of sense considering Pova won her first Slam at a very young age but few years later was already washed up. ;) I'd rather take Caro's approach then to not win the biggest tournaments too early and rather improve steadily :p

ouch.

lefty24
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM

A few years later she had 2 more slams. ;)
Who in the world would be dumb enough to have that approach? So she lost the US open final against Kim because she didn't want to win a slam to early? That really makes no sense.

madmax
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:09 PM

what makes you believe that a soon-to-be 21 years old player is gonna somehow drastically improve her game and challenge for slams suddenly? It doesn't work like that in women's game, not with some generic baseliner at least. Pushniacki is a finished product and you see what you get with her.

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
A few years later she had 2 more slams. ;)
Who in the world would be dumb enough to have that approach? So she lost the US open final against Kim because she didn't want to win a slam to early? That really makes no sense.

No, she lost because she wasn't ready for the win :p

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM

According to you Caro just doesn't want to win a slam yet, cause if she wanted she would have got it right away :o.

Just look it this way, which career would you rather have ?. I know you would say Caro's one but I really believe that thats not what you would want :).

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
what makes you believe that a soon-to-be 21 years old player is gonna somehow drastically improve her game and challenge for slams suddenly? It doesn't work like that in women's game, not with some generic baseliner at least. Pushniacki is a finished product and you see what you get with her.

Suddenly? She's made the semis of the last two Slams. She's already challenging for the biggest tournaments. You better get used to reality even though you are doing everything to negate and repress Caro's success :wavey:

tea
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
You're wasting too much time on the internet boards instead of watching tennis and getting a clue about what you're talking about. Wozniacki is improving at enormously fast rate; only blind, or hater, or both, could deny it. I would tell you who is a finished product but I don't want to drop at yours low.

madmax
Suddenly? She's made the semis of the last two Slams. She's already challenging for the biggest tournaments. You better get used to reality even though you are doing everything to negate and repress Caro's success :wavey:

making semis and actually challenging for the title are two different things buddy:wavey: Do you really believe she would stand a chance against Kim on hard?:lol: And she is hopeless on any natural surface anyway, so no clay or grass slam for her either...

Matt01
According to you Caro just doesn't want to win a slam yet, cause if she wanted she would have got it right away :o.

Just look it this way, which career would you rather have ?. I know you would say Caro's one but I really believe that thats not what you would want :).

Caro's career has just started while Pova was competing at the top level already in 2004 (and later faded away...), therefore not a very relevant question...

And I'd rather be #1 then #9 so the answer is Caro :wavey:

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
making semis and actually challenging for the title are two different things buddy:wavey: Do you really believe she would stand a chance against Kim on hard?:lol: And she is hopeless on any natural surface anyway, so no clay or grass slam for her either...

Yeah right :lol:

Give me one reason why should I believe a hater like you who also predicted that Caro would be chasing Pova's groundstrokes at their last US Open match :tape:

Nicolás89
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Please.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Caro's career has just started while Pova was competing at the top level already in 2004 (and later faded away...), therefore not a very relevant question...

And I'd rather be #1 then #9 so the answer is Caro :wavey:

What do you mean by just started :scratch:? So when a player starts winning tournaments, that the actual time when their career starts right?.

Cause I recall seeing Caroline play many times before but being blown off the court, maybe now that she started winning some matches her career finally started :).

According to your logic I would rather have Caro's career cause she is number 1 right now, than have Serena's one cause she is number 10 :shrug: :), and we both know whats the difference between them :angel:

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
What do you mean by just started :scratch:? So when a player starts winning tournaments, that the actual time when their career starts right?.

Cause I recall seeing Caroline play many times before but being blown off the court, maybe now that she started winning some matches her career finally started :).

According to your logic I would rather have Caro's career cause she is number 1 right now, than have Serena's one cause she is number 10 :shrug: :), and we both know whats the difference between them :angel:

By "just started" I mean the time as a top player. Pova's career as a top player started in 2004, thats already 7 years ago, while Caro is only a top player for 1 or 2 years now and she is still very young. Not that difficult to understand I think. :)

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
By "just started" I mean the time as a top player. Pova's career as a top player started in 2004, thats already 7 years ago, while Caro is only a top player for 1 or 2 years now and she is still very young. Not that difficult to understand I think. :)

Well if you chose "3" slams ahead of "0" then Yeah, you are really difficult to understand :cool:.

bandabou
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hmmm....going from Juju as fav to having Caro as a new fav? I hope friend Matt knows what he's doing..:scared: ;)
Caro still needs to improve a lot before we really talk about her as being a credible contender.

Let's just say: she'll need a LOT of things breaking out just right for her ( injury to other top contenders, all her nemesises in the other half, etc...)

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well if you chose "3" slams ahead of "0" then Yeah, you are really difficult to understand :cool:.

I did not say that.

And for the record, there's more to tennis than winning Slams but of course you are free watch your old ancient tapes of Pova winning the Slams. I prefer the present and not the past :p

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I did not say that.

And for the record, there's more to tennis than winning Slams but of course you are free watch your old ancient tapes of Pova winning the Slams. I prefer the present and not the past :p

Of course you did :lol:. You just chose Caro's career over Sharapova's :shrug:.

I guess your present has become really hard to face these days without Justine :sad:. I think you're the one who needs to look up for tapes of Justine cause seeing her live once more won't happen :angel:. At least I can still watch some matches here and there live of my fave, you can't, so sad :angel:.

Oh wait, unless Caro is your new favorite now :scratch:?

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hmmm....going from Juju as fav to having Caro as a new fav? I hope friend Matt knows what he's doing..:scared: ;)

Caro isn't even that high on my list of faves but considering the crap she is getting from all the people here, I just feel the need to protect my girl :lol:

Break My Rapture
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
:haha:

I love your effort but you sometimes try too hard.

doomsday
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Caro isn't even that high on my list of faves but considering the crap she is getting from all the people here, I just feel the need to protect my girl :lol:

I feel bad for you because in order to shut OUR mouth Caroline needs to win a Slam in a very convincing way and I'm not sure that's going to happen.:lol:

doomsday
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Are you in love with chµck? according to tea's thread, and you know,you are quite a newbie. Quite impressive.

You both should make up, you are such a cute couple. :kiss: I am not jealous :lol:

What the hell:lol::lol: I will never cheat on Maria:lol:

Matt01
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I feel bad for you because in order to shut OUR mouth Caroline needs to win a Slam in a very convincing way and I'm not sure that's going to happen.:lol:

How old are you? :weirdo:

doomsday
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Says the guy who feel the need to protect Caroline on a tennisforum:lol:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:40 AM
:devil::worship::lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM

ouch.

tonybotz
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
maria always reminded me of seles - they had the same look in their eyes when they compete - like every point is life or death. after the stabbing seles came back strong but not fit. she injured her shoulder (rotator cuff) and opted not to have the career-threatening surgery. then she showed signs of mental weakness, something foreign in her game. her serve and fitness suffered and she lost her nerve. By 23, Seles, by forces both inside and outside herself, was a shadow of her former self.

Maria is now 23, suffered the same injury, and has come back a shard of what she was. the injury introduced FEAR into her game. the same fear that german lunatic introduced to Seles' game. fear leads to doubt. in tennis, when the nanoseconds count, you can not for a picosecond doubt yourself. as in life, when you doubt yourself you fail. maria is full of doubt. her game has been forced to change. will she stick around like Monica - hoping for that last shot at glory? I don't think so...

Crux Squall
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I love the way maria plays, fighting fightingattack, attack. So beautiful and interesting to watch
and i have no idea who is Wetheim

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
:lol: Owned :lol:

Stamp Paid
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Says the guy who feel the need to protect Caroline on a tennisforum:lol:http://i55.tinypic.com/98cysm.gif

Lachy
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Why is this thread not closed? There's not much positive discussion. :sobbing:

She's 6'2 so power comes as a huge bonus to her...it'd be silly not to take advantage :shrug:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM

:sobbing:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM

don't you do the same with maria?

madmax
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM

I'm not sure "protect" is a right word to use on an internet forum...unless of course Matt is a personal protector of Wozniacki:lol:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure "protect" is a right word to use on an internet forum...unless of course Matt is a personal protector of Wozniacki:lol:

I think he gets paid from Caro to protect her on a Tennis forum :angel:

Matt01
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM

doomsday
Apr 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM

THIS, I really don't FEEL the NEED to PROTECT her.:lol:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
:lol: LAME :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
:lol: LAME :lol:

It really was. :lol: :happy:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lezp67OFV51qfy2kdo1_500.gif

HRHoliviasmith
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM

:hysteric: :happy:

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Venus Williams.
Most effective volleys in the top twenty. Hits most of her forehand with that big upward sweep to impart topspin. That Venus Williams? The one we had a recent thread about her HALF-volleys. That Venus Williams?

Venus is no Henin in the nuance department, but she uses WAY more than Sharapova. And, incidentally, that's no knock on either of them. Venus' groundstrokes, at Venus' best, were still more prone to error than Sharapova's at her best. Learning to go to net was to Venus's advantage, and it took her years to learn to do it. Like five or six years. Sharapova is not yet convinced she has to change. And, as Wertheim himself has pointed out, she'll probably be top five by Wimbledon, so maybe she DOESN'T need to change.

Serenita
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Vartan
Apr 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM

:rolleyes:

slamchamp
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Says the guy who feel the need to protect Caroline on a tennisforum:lol:pwned!:lol:
Matt01:awww:

Vee Williams
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM
And, as Wertheim himself has pointed out, she'll probably be top five by Wimbledon, so maybe she DOESN'T need to change.

Well, she has no points to defend, so the statement is obvious.

At the same time, is she climbing up the rankings because she is winning tournaments or beating top opponents? If you answer NO, then, for this reason, she DOES need to change something.

Volcana
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
..... she DOES need to change something.I think she needs to change something. The point is, SHE doesn't.

It's not an athletic problem. It's an intent problem. She shows no DESIRE to change. She could. She isn't any slower than Lindsay Davenport. Davenport had good volleys. Good enough to win three doubles slams on a team where she was clearly the dominant player. I see no reason why Sharapova can't do the same. (Well, Davenport has the best serve on the tour for about five years. Sharapova doesn't. That's a reason.)

If you look at Venus Williams post 2003 career, it took her quite a while to find a road to success, and it's been uneven. But three Wimbledons is not a bad haul for 'uneven'.

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I think she needs to change something. The point is, SHE doesn't.

It's not an athletic problem. It's an intent problem. She shows no DESIRE to change. She could. She isn't any slower than Lindsay Davenport. Davenport had good volleys. Good enough to win three doubles slams on a team where she was clearly the dominant player. I see no reason why Sharapova can't do the same. (Well, Davenport has the best serve on the tour for about five years. Sharapova doesn't. That's a reason.)

If you look at Venus Williams post 2003 career, it took her quite a while to find a road to success, and it's been uneven. But three Wimbledons is not a bad haul for 'uneven'.

Sharapova and Davenport however, are technically completely different players though.
Davenport wasn't physically gifted but she had amazing fundamentals in every aspect of the game IMHO.

I think Sharapova was the poster-girl for the Bollettieri model of power-baseliner-with-no-variety-or-plan-B player. And her collapse is IMHO why the model just doesn't work. How many players like Maria have we seen fall apart in the last 5 years?

CloudAtlas
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Well, she has no points to defend, so the statement is obvious.

At the same time, is she climbing up the rankings because she is winning tournaments or beating top opponents? If you answer NO, then, for this reason, she DOES need to change something.

It's funny how Sharapova's current career is mirroring Wozniacki's early career (except Wozniacki was still winning titles). Not reaching quarters of Slams , not beating any top players yet somehow finding herself climbing up the rankings , first into the top then , then top 5 and so on. In fact , Sharapova could be top 5 this year without a Slam quarter to her name , which would be hilarious.

Lachy
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Sharapova and Davenport however, are technically completely different players though.
Davenport wasn't physically gifted but she had amazing fundamentals in every aspect of the game IMHO.

I think Sharapova was the poster-girl for the Bollettieri model of power-baseliner-with-no-variety-or-plan-B player. And her collapse is IMHO why the model just doesn't work. How many players like Maria have we seen fall apart in the last 5 years?

Her collapse had nothing to do with her game that she won 3 slams with, it was due to the fact that she had to change it, changing the things that she felt comfortable doing just to accommodate her injury. It's not the same game, technically or mentally anymore. She used to hit through the court very consistently and IMO if she had that same game today she'd be winning tournaments. The key difference pre and post injury IMO is consistency in Maria's case. Pre-injury she was consistent with her power game, nowadays it is a lot more variable, up and down. You can assess most of the other players downfalls all you want, as most of them have no reason whatsoever to have slumped in the first place.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Whatever, injury or slump, it is the same thing. Injuries are part of the sport, slumps are part of the sport, fast-improving opponents are part of the sport, one's weaknesses becoming major liabilities are part of the sport. Jankovic said in one of her interviews this week that she needs to think much more to do the same things that came naturally when she was no.1 and it is obvious she's speaking the truth (she watches every single ball after hitting it, seems afraid to go after it). HOwever, she needs to buckle down and find the winning formula again if she cares. She cannot say 'Oh, I COULD do x,y,z at my peak'.

Same with Sharapova. Her game was all she needed when everything was just working like clockwork, every flat blast landed within the lines. Her recent (persistent) woes are a splash of cold water to the face. That kind of strategy just does not work perfectly, and she was lucky she made it work for as long as she did.

Lachy
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
They aren't even comparable in my opinion :shrug: I like JJ and Ana, but there is no reason for their slump at all...no reason. Completely different, incomparable circumstances to Maria and I can't stand it when anyone tries to compare them :lol:

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM
They aren't even comparable in my opinion :shrug: I like JJ and Ana, but there is no reason for their slump at all...no reason. Completely different, incomparable circumstances to Maria and I can't stand it when anyone tries to compare them :lol:

So what is she to do? Bemoan her cruel and unjust fate, or perhaps expect her opponents to take pity on her because after all, at her peak, she was untouchable, right?

Lachy
Apr 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I was kinda hoping along the lines of regaining consistency, but the pity sounds alright :lol:

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Her collapse had nothing to do with her game that she won 3 slams with, it was due to the fact that she had to change it, changing the things that she felt comfortable doing just to accommodate her injury. It's not the same game, technically or mentally anymore. She used to hit through the court very consistently and IMO if she had that same game today she'd be winning tournaments. The key difference pre and post injury IMO is consistency in Maria's case. Pre-injury she was consistent with her power game, nowadays it is a lot more variable, up and down. You can assess most of the other players downfalls all you want, as most of them have no reason whatsoever to have slumped in the first place.

Injuries are part of the game.. if you can't deal with injuries that just means that there's something wrong with your game that does not allow you to adjust.

Smitten
Apr 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
(Well, Davenport has the best serve on the tour for about five years. Sharapova doesn't. That's a reason.)

Name the 5 years where Davenport had the BEST serve on tour?

*Nefertiti*
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:47 AM
if you can't deal with injuries that just means that there's something wrong with your game

This is completely untrue. Injuries can stop you, it can even end careers.

Lachy
Apr 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Injuries are part of the game.. if you can't deal with injuries that just means that there's something wrong with your game that does not allow you to adjust.

I think that's a broad generalization. It depends on the location and severity of the injury and sport you're playing as to how much of an impact it has on your game. And it would be difficult for any player to technically change strokes that have been natural to them for heaps of years. :shrug: It's not something that you can just assume people should be able to do.

bandabou
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
It's funny how Sharapova's current career is mirroring Wozniacki's early career (except Wozniacki was still winning titles). Not reaching quarters of Slams , not beating any top players yet somehow finding herself climbing up the rankings , first into the top then , then top 5 and so on. In fact , Sharapova could be top 5 this year without a Slam quarter to her name , which would be hilarious.

The irony indeed...:lol:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Are you a fortune teller or something? First of all Its not a sure thing that Maria will finish top 5 in this season, and second how can you be so sure Maria won't have a Slam Quarter to her name when only one slam is played until now :scratch:.

On the other hand, thats the advantage of having a slam under your name, let alone 3 as Maria has :angel:. It doesn't matter if your number 1-5 in the world without winning a tournament or making a slam Quarter in the current year, you'll always have your slams to show everyone that you can win them, and its just a matter of time when another one comes :angel:.

Unfortunately Caro hasn't this advantage, she can win all the tournaments she wants. She can win all the tournament in the calendar outside of the slams, but she'll always be remembered as a slamless number 1, like Safina,Jankovic :yeah:.

The Witch-king
Apr 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Whatever, injury or slump, it is the same thing. Injuries are part of the sport, slumps are part of the sport, fast-improving opponents are part of the sport, one's weaknesses becoming major liabilities are part of the sport. Jankovic said in one of her interviews this week that she needs to think much more to do the same things that came naturally when she was no.1 and it is obvious she's speaking the truth (she watches every single ball after hitting it, seems afraid to go after it). HOwever, she needs to buckle down and find the winning formula again if she cares. She cannot say 'Oh, I COULD do x,y,z at my peak'.

Same with Sharapova. Her game was all she needed when everything was just working like clockwork, every flat blast landed within the lines. Her recent (persistent) woes are a splash of cold water to the face. That kind of strategy just does not work perfectly, and she was lucky she made it work for as long as she did.

She was number 1 for like 2 or 3 tournaments :lol:

Wilson_07
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:30 AM

oh come on, that's just partly true. Of course every professional athlete has to deal with injuries at some point of their careers, but there are differences between those injuries.
what you said would be unfair towards people who have to end their careers because of injuries.
and maria's injury forced her to change a fundamental part of her game, which is her serve. so she already tried to adjust to it, in order to keep on playing and it's just not as easy as you portrayed it here.

Break My Rapture
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
No, it's not funny actually. It's off-topic. ;)

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM

:haha:

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
This is completely untrue. Injuries can stop you, it can even end careers.

oh come on, that's just partly true. Of course every professional athlete has to deal with injuries at some point of their careers, but there are differences between those injuries.
what you said would be unfair towards people who have to end their careers because of injuries.
and maria's injury forced her to change a fundamental part of her game, which is her serve. so she already tried to adjust to it, in order to keep on playing and it's just not as easy as you portrayed it here.

Of course I don't mean people whose injuries prevent you from playing.

And it's not just her serve that's not working.. the serve is just one part of your game. Obviously if she's lost her serve and everything else has fallen apart, something is wrong.

Venus had an injury that completely altered her game as well but she still found a way to regroup and win several more slams and a YEC title
Serena had to completely alter her game due to age and fitness issues.
Maria is just completely one-dimensional... just like a lot of players of the same model and when there's a problem it all falls apart.

CloudAtlas
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Are you a fortune teller or something? First of all Its not a sure thing that Maria will finish top 5 in this season, and second how can you be so sure Maria won't have a Slam Quarter to her name when only one slam is played until now :scratch:.

On the other hand, thats the advantage of having a slam under your name, let alone 3 as Maria has :angel:. It doesn't matter if your number 1-5 in the world without winning a tournament or making a slam Quarter in the current year, you'll always have your slams to show everyone that you can win them, and its just a matter of time when another one comes :angel:.

Unfortunately Caro hasn't this advantage, she can win all the tournaments she wants. She can win all the tournament in the calendar outside of the slams, but she'll always be remembered as a slamless number 1, like Safina,Jankovic :yeah:.

Wow , defensive much? First of all , I said she 'could' be top 5. Also , I was talking about last year as well and not just this one , and she hasn't reached a Slam QF.

It was just a random point I was making. I am aware that she has 3 Slams which is why I said 'her current career' i.e post 2008. There seem to be loads of Sharapova fans who are highly critical of Caroline so just thought it was an interesting fact :p

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wow , defensive much? First of all , I said she 'could' be top 5. Also , I was talking about last year as well and not just this one , and she hasn't reached a Slam QF.

It was just a random point I was making. I am aware that she has 3 Slams which is why I said 'her current career' i.e post 2008. There seem to be loads of Sharapova fans who are highly critical of Caroline so just thought it was an interesting fact :p

I'm so glad you recognize that Maria has a post 2008 career :).

We are not critical. We just hate watching boring Tennis thats all. Its nothing against Wozniacki really, for me I dislike any player who plays a boring kind of game :shrug:.

CloudAtlas
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm so glad you recognize that Maria has a post 2008 career :).

We are not critical. We just hate watching boring Tennis thats all. Its nothing against Wozniacki really, for me I dislike any player who plays a boring kind of game :shrug:.

Boring is subjective though. Even Sharapova's one dimensional tennis has been criticised at times so there's no universal form of 'appealing tennis'.

You might dislike her as you find her boring , but oddly enough the dislike for her from Pova fans dramatically increased after the USO 2010 but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence ;)

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Boring is subjective though. Even Sharapova's one dimensional tennis has been criticised at times so there's no universal form of 'appealing tennis'.

You might dislike her as you find her boring , but oddly enough the dislike for her from Pova fans dramatically increased after the USO 2010 but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence ;)

Oh puhlizz !! I told you, I don't hate Caro :shrug:.I hate the style of play that she plays thats all.

Sharapova's "one dimensional style" as you called it got her to be a three slam champ. I hardly believe that the style that Caroline plays now can get her to win a slam or more.

But in the end, nothing is impossible, with the state of Women Tennis right now!

bandabou
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Of course I don't mean people whose injuries prevent you from playing.

And it's not just her serve that's not working.. the serve is just one part of your game. Obviously if she's lost her serve and everything else has fallen apart, something is wrong.

Venus had an injury that completely altered her game as well but she still found a way to regroup and win several more slams and a YEC title
Serena had to completely alter her game due to age and fitness issues.
Maria is just completely one-dimensional... just like a lot of players of the same model and when there's a problem it all falls apart.

Interesting point...it's like in boxing. The greater champs are the ones who can adapt. When you lose your speed, you adapt, become a bit more technical.

Maria so far hasn't shown the ability to adapt.

CloudAtlas
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Oh puhlizz !! I told you, I don't hate Caro :shrug:.I hate the style of play that she plays thats all.

Sharapova's "one dimensional style" as you called it got her to be a three slam champ. I hardly believe that the style that Caroline plays now can get her to win a slam or more.

But in the end, nothing is impossible, with the state of Women Tennis right now!

I wasn't talking about you , but it wouldn't be wise to deny that there are fans of Sharapova on here (of many players actually) who were just ambivalent/mildly disliking Caroline before the US Open but after that it was just an explosion of negativity.

And Sharapova is one dimensional whether you want to admit it or not. Yes she has won 3 Grand Slams but that's completely irrelevant to the point I'm making. What I'm saying is , that there's plenty of people who find the wham-bam power style tennis boring. maybe not as many now but with the arrival of Seles and the Williams there were quite a few criticisms of their game. What I'm saying is that 'boring' is subjective. You're perfectly entitled to find something boring but it doesn't make it any less legitimate than something else.

And okay , Sharapova has 3 Slams but there's plenty of people who hit the ball just as hard who have had average careers. Perhaps it's to do with the player and not the playing style? Sharapova at her peak is better than Wozniacki , there's no questions about that. Playing style is irrelevant.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I wasn't talking about you , but it wouldn't be wise to deny that there are fans of Sharapova on here (of many players actually) who were just ambivalent/mildly disliking Caroline before the US Open but after that it was just an explosion of negativity.

And Sharapova is one dimensional whether you want to admit it or not. Yes she has won 3 Grand Slams but that's completely irrelevant to the point I'm making. What I'm saying is , that there's plenty of people who find the wham-bam power style tennis boring. maybe not as many now but with the arrival of Seles and the Williams there were quite a few criticisms of their game. What I'm saying is that 'boring' is subjective. You're perfectly entitled to find something boring but it doesn't make it any less legitimate than something else.

And okay , Sharapova has 3 Slams but there's plenty of people who hit the ball just as hard who have had average careers. Perhaps it's to do with the player and not the playing style? Sharapova at her peak is better than Wozniacki , there's no questions about that. Playing style is irrelevant.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks:angel:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Good post. :shrug: