PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis to play Eastbourne

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
...in an exhibition :oh:

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/AEGON-British-Tennis-Series/AEGON-International/News/2011/Martina-Hingis-set-for-Eastbourne-return-in-exhibition-event/

Martina Hingis set for Eastbourne return in exhibition

Five-time Grand Slam winner Martina Hingis will be one of the star attractions at the exhibition event to launch the AEGON International after agreeing to take part in the event at Devonshire Park in June.

The 30-year-old, who won Wimbledon as a 16-year-old in 1997, is one of a number of tennis legends who will be playing in Eastbourne at the start of the joint ATP/WTA tournament.

Confirmation of Hingis’ participation comes hot on the heels of the announcement that ex-Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic will also grace the Eastbourne courts in June.

Swiss tennis star Hingis, who retired from the professional game in 2007, will take part in singles and mixed doubles matches on the opening Sunday and Monday to kick off the prestigious grass court tournament.

Hingis said: “It’s such a delight to be invited back to Eastbourne. I have fond memories of the event as I won in the doubles event with Anna Kournikova when I played in 1999. I know it’s going to be a lot of fun and can only hope that the sun will shine once again!”

Hingis and Ivanisevic aren’t the only big names who will be at Devonshire Park so watch this space for announcements on more top players closer to the event.

Tournament Director Gavin Fletcher added: “We are absolutely delighted to be welcoming Martina down to Eastbourne in June.

“Tennis fans from the south east will now be able to watch one of the biggest names in the history of the game as well as current world class players, on their doorstep. The AEGON International promises to be another fantastic tournament and having legends of the game like Martina play at the start of the week is the perfect way to kick it off.”

I'm a little annoyed I only have tickets for the end of the week rather than the beginning, would have loved to have seen this. Can't wait to see who else they announce as well - any ideas who it may be? Anyone going?

debby
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
You are so mean, Sammo might have a heart attack :oh:

MBM
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM
^+1! I got all excited for a moment then grrrrrrr

FORZA SARITA
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM
bitch :p

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
:lol:

:oh:

But seriously, I wish I was going :sad:

RR-87
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
wrong hope :tears:

Stevecw
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Damn u, How cruel to build up our hopes like that :(

I bet if she did enter main draw she would do pretty well tho!!!

cellophane
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
F... you :(

peanuts
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hmp! I got my hopes up for a while. :(

debby
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
:lol:

But seriously, I wish I was going :sad:

Then why don't you go? Is it too late to book it ?

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Then why don't you go? Is it too late to book it ?

I have tickets from Thursday-Saturday (16-18th) but the exhibition is played on the Sunday (12th) before, so the extra cost of travel + accommodation would be too much :sad:

Ugh, I hate how expensive train tickets can be :o

Princeza
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Rude :facepalm:

Hian
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM

tea
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Guys it would at least have a bombshell prefix if she was back for real match.:p

tonybotz
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
please Monica Hingis exo!!

Inger67
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Be prepared for some Bad Reps... :lol: I did a thread like this when I said Hingis and Kournikova were playing doubles at Wimbledon.... in the legends bracket and I swear I got a load of Bad Reps from bitter fans :sad: :lol:

Sharapovian
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
For a minute I thought really :lol:

but then :[

debby
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I have tickets from Thursday-Saturday (16-18th) but the exhibition is played on the Sunday (12th) before, so the extra cost of travel + accommodation would be too much :sad:

Can't you change them? :o :sad:

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Can't you change them? :o :sad:

I think staying for the full week would be just as expensive, if not more expensive than going and coming back again.

Hopefully they'll do something similar next year :)

debby
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I think staying for the full week would be just as expensive, if not more expensive than going and coming back again.

Hopefully they'll do something similar next year :)

Yeah, she will play Eastbourne for real next year :lol: ;)

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, she will play Eastbourne for real next year :lol: ;)

Fuck yeah! :dance: even if it was just doubles - Navratilova was still playing doubles at Eastbourne a couple of years ago, Hingis should too :cool:

danieln1
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
meanest title ever punk :haha: :haha:

Very very bad!

debby
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Fuck yeah! :dance: even if it was just doubles - Navratilova was still playing doubles at Eastbourne a couple of years ago, Hingis should too :cool:

Martina/Martina win Eastbourne :cool:

Kworb
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I was so happy for three seconds :sobbing:

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Be prepared for some Bad Reps... :lol: I did a thread like this when I said Hingis and Kournikova were playing doubles at Wimbledon.... in the legends bracket and I swear I got a load of Bad Reps from bitter fans :sad: :lol:

I'm prepared :lol: Luckily I haven't got any bad reps for it...yet :tape:

Sammo
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
You are so mean, Sammo might have a heart attack :oh:

Well I got excited for the first two seconds but then I thought about this and I got it right :sobbing: Just another exhibition :sobbing:

Facepalmarenka!! :mad:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le9lqbU8LZ1qei4vno1_500.gif

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
:angel:

Whitehead's Boy
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
please Monica Hingis exo!!

Believe me, you don't want to see Seles on the court again. She played a double exhibition at the Canadian Open and it was sad to watch. She couldn't even serve.

Valanga
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Reallllllly :eek:
good reason to go to Eastbourne one more time :oh:

Drake1980
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
cruel thread title

Talula
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM

:lol: I got tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday! I know how you feel! And according to the website the tournament is pretty much sold out. That didn't use to be the case as I remember getting tickets just a week or so in advance.

I would LOVE to see Martina and am gutted.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM
:lol: I got tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday! I know how you feel! And according to the website the tournament is pretty much sold out. That didn't use to be the case as I remember getting tickets just a week or so in advance.

I think it's because they added online booking :lol: Before it used to literally take days or weeks to get through on the phone - I always imagined it would be one little old lady sitting on her own in the box office selling all the tickets by herself.

iGOAT
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
That was mean :sad:.

Martina, glad you're still playing, but at least play make a comeback in doubles :(.

Smitten
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
1997 Wimbledon Champion.

Valanga
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM

I am planning to go on Tuesday and Wednesday as well. But still right now there's not official player list. I am not sure if I would see Jankovic/Petkovic/other faves I haven't seen for ages.

QuietPlease
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Still only 30 years old!
Everyone would love a comeback!

petkoan
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I was too happy for a second and a half!

Martian KC
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:47 PM
You deserve a badrep for this one. :angel:

Polikarpov
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
She'll probably get slayed by Karolina anyway. :tears:

Havok
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:06 AM
So glad I saw her live twice when she played the Rogers Cup in 2006. Watched both her 3 set battles under the lights vs Hantuchova and Kuznetsova. Good times.

Smitten
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hantuchova did not go three sets. Daniela had a huge lead in one set, but choked it away.

PLP
Apr 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Hantuchova did not go three sets. Daniela had a huge lead in one set, but choked it away.

That match was insane!
:hearts:

Is Eastbourne where Hingis is playing Navratilova?
Hope someone records that.
:confused:

Cherry.
Apr 8th, 2011, 06:29 AM
So glad I saw her live twice when she played the Rogers Cup in 2006. Watched both her 3 set battles under the lights vs Hantuchova and Kuznetsova. Good times.
Kuznetsova did not go 3 sets either. Martina won 7:6(4),6:3.

rimon
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't see why she doesn't come back to the tour, withe the field as it is today. Without Justine, she could win RG.

Sombrerero loco
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
well done martina :) win em all

Smitten
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
That match was insane!
:hearts:

Is Eastbourne where Hingis is playing Navratilova?
Hope someone records that.
:confused:

No that match was annoying just like all her other :weirdo: concerning Hantuchova.

Doha was really borderline unforgivable.

Sammo
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM
She's almost playing a full tennis season but in exhibitions instead of real tournaments, I just don't get it :help:

petkoan
Apr 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
She's almost playing a full tennis season but in exhibitions instead of real tournaments, I just don't get it :help:

I think there is a slim chance she and Davenport might play real doubles at the US Open this year

Smitten
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM
She's confirmed playing Navratilova in one of the singles matches. Not sure about Mixed Doubles.

Women’s legend Navratilova added:

"I am going to have to put in some serious training between now and June and hopefully I will make it a very good match.”

hingisGOAT
Apr 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
No that match was annoying just like all her other :weirdo: concerning Hantuchova.

Doha was really borderline unforgivable.

IKR :rolleyes: There is no greater blemish on Martina's fantastic career than THREE fucking losses to Hantuchova of all crap players. Three! I'd say her early Slam losses to Granville, VRP, Razzano are only 1/10th as embarassing, if that.

Mary Cherry.
May 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Bump :oh:

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/LTA-summer-grass-court-events/AEGON-International/News/2012/Hingis-and-Martinez-Added-to-Fathers-Day-Legends-Line-up/

SpanishSuenos
May 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
When I read this title I thought she come back to WTA .
Shame.
So good luck in Exhibition.

Summer_Snow
May 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Almost made my day :sad:

Valanga
May 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Boo, Sunday.

tennisphilia
May 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Very, very funny. Then again, Hingis is younger than Venus. Maybe she'll do a Kimiko at 35... :-)

spencercarlos
May 16th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Bump :oh:

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/LTA-summer-grass-court-events/AEGON-International/News/2012/Hingis-and-Martinez-Added-to-Fathers-Day-Legends-Line-up/
Hingis also played an exhibition in Venezuela on April 28th.
She beat Harkleroad 4-6 6-1 7-6.

Here the full match

Set 1
UhIDWR_0gQI

Set 1 end Set 2
qJ0Ih9qafpc

Set 3 Part 1
lry0ZjWIVOA

Set 3 End
bk_KJe29cnU

petkoan
May 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hingis also played an exhibition in Venezuela on April 28th.
She beat Harkleroad 4-6 6-4 7-6.

Here the full match

Set 1
UhIDWR_0gQI

Set 1 end Set 2
qJ0Ih9qafpc

Set 3 Part 1
lry0ZjWIVOA

Set 3 End
bk_KJe29cnU

Hingis is hitting well.

tennisfan5
May 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM
is harkleroad officially retired?

Smitten
May 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
is harkleroad officially retired?

No one cares about her. We're only posting that because she played Legend.

vozas
May 17th, 2012, 08:51 AM
No one cares about her. We're only posting that because she played Legend.

:worship::worship::worship: