PDA

View Full Version : Marbella R2: Alex Dulgheru def AMG 5-7 6-4 6-4

FORZA SARITA
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
3h :hysteric:
clay court drama and i loved it :cheer:
AMG was the better layer for a set and half but Alex never gave up till the end altough was very erratic :)
Alex took her risks in final game and it paid off :yeah:
tomorrow it's gonna be another marathon against Sara :rolls: i still remember their last 2 matches on clay last year :lol:

Break My Rapture
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Clay-GOAT slugfest.

Patrick345
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I just love to watch Dulgheru play on clay. AMG was very good, too.

Title should be between Azarenka and Dulgheru.

Hian
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
So close Anabel :o You're just Another Moonballing Goat :o

Sharapovian
Never watched but must have been a good battle between the Clay GOATs :lol:
Alex :yeah:

Myggen
Very strange match. Medina was easily the better player for the majority of this match but was wasting opportunities at will. Can't afford that against such a solid opponent.

SVK
2:57...AMG is definitely back:bounce:

RenaSlam.
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Goat

toxina90
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
AMG's last minute surge burnt out :sad:

Zamboni
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Great match to watch if you're into clay tennis :D :hearts:
Both players kept wasting chances, Alex choked in every set :o

2h57m on court, and Sara played a 57m doubles match, that is excellent:angel:

Phil=)
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Great match :)
Should have been at least the SF
Both played very good !
Would have loved to see AMG advance though:o

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
And in less than three hours too. :rocker:

Seriously. Absolutely wonderful claycourt battle. Alex is such a fighter. You can almost feel how much Alex enjoys these kinds of battles, win or lose. I don't think there is a player in the game who enjoys being stretched to their very limit as much as Alex.

fouc
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Dulgheru lost 8 point in a row to lose first set :o Anabel was broken to love to lose the 2nd. Pretty random, uninspirational, predictable clay boredom.

FORZA SARITA
So close Anabel :o You're just Another Moonballing Goat :o

this show you really didn't watch the match :lol::rolleyes:
AMG played a very good match but not mentally tough on important pts
btw you expect a GS winner and silver medal in Olympics to have a good net play but her volleys and smashes are so bad :weirdo:

madmax
Current Clay-GOAT outslugs the former one:bowdown:
This classic showdown should be replayed time and time again on tennis promotional reels

Curcubeu
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM
*dead*

I should stop watching Alex' matches and cheering for her when I won't get a heart attack at the age of 30... :spit:

Alex' bh was as bad as I haven't seen it for a long time, though. :(

But forget about Warsaw or Clay GOAT! She is my personal fighting GOAT! :hug:

Hian
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
this show you really didn't watch the match :lol::rolleyes:
AMG played a very good match but not mentally tough on important pts
btw you expect a GS winner and silver medal in Olympics to have a good net play but her volleys and smashes are so bad :weirdo:

In fact I didn't :p It's just the way people call her on TF ;)
I'm still not convinced with Dulgheru... I saw her match against Masha at Miami, and she was just pushing, with some accellearted shots 1/10 points. I'l see against Sara what she will do :p

BartoLiNa
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Surprisingly Anabel was the more solid of the two for a lot of the match, but Dulgheru showed great fighting spirit to stay in and eventually take it.

I admit I haven't always been kind about her, but I think Dulgheru has a lot of natural talent. She has a great variety of shots but imo she isn't using them in the right way. She can't seem to make up her mind about when to be aggressive, and it leads to poor decisions and unforced errors. There's no denying her potential and I look forwad to seeing how the rest of her clay season goes.

*Jool*
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Anabel :awww: so close yet so far ..
:hug:

BlueTrees
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Alex often wins these sorts of 2.5h+ three setters on clay. :bowdown:

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
AMG!!!

I mean, OMG!!! Congrats Sash!!! :woohoo: :bowdown: :woohoo:

Kinda scared at 5-4 in the 3rd! :scared:

:rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

Singleniacki
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
:hearts:

Miracle Worker
Alex. Please next time win such matches faster.... 3 sets... And serving for set in 1st set :help:

SVK
Surprisingly Anabel was the more solid of the two for a lot of the match, but Dulgheru showed great fighting spirit to stay in and eventually take it.

I admit I haven't always been kind about her, but I think Dulgheru has a lot of natural talent. She has a great variety of shots but imo she isn't using them in the right way. She can't seem to make up her mind about when to be aggressive, and it leads to poor decisions and unforced errors. There's no denying her potential and I look forwad to seeing how the rest of her clay season goes.

Agree a bit here, I noticed it many times also against Masha last week Dulgheru was fighting very well she hit almost every ball back but the problem is that she just hit them, she often didnīt choose the right shot in a very crucial moment or she just simply hit the ball back although she had a chance to make a killing shot, thatīs a problem in Alexīs game but she has a time to fix it I think

Curcubeu
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
She is just 21 years old and players with her style often need more time to develop their game than the classic ball bashers! :)

Mistress of Evil
Apr 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Dulgheru :bowdown:
Dramabel :awww:

Curcubeu
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Both players won exactly 99 points, but Alex the more crucial ones! :)

But her second serve... :facepalm:

Andiyan
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
What a match :bowdown:

Proud of you Alex,,, keep going!!!

Chakvenus
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Anabel :sad:
A close loss like this is always tough. But it sounds like she played well, just didn't take her opportunities. Something to work on!

Sombrerero loco
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
if pushgheru and amg are claygoats...well, no comments :lol:

Curcubeu
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
They are better on clay than many other players, but the GOAT title is a bit exaggerated! :lol:

MBM
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM
She's loving these epicly long matches! Any way to ge tthe win, I guess

Corswandt
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
She is just 21 years old and players with her style often need more time to develop their game than the classic ball bashers! :)

Wrong.

Curcubeu
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wrong.

If you think so! Let's see how much your Kvitova can develop her game! :wavey:

HowardH
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Wrong.

If you think so! Let's see how much your Kvitova can develop her game! :wavey:

I won't comment at all this time on the various merits of these players' games, but will merely address this point.

Whether Kvitova can develop more is not the point I think. The truth is very few players actually make improvements in their games after they turn pro, or at least after they get out of their teens. Those who manage to keep improving for a bit longer often become elite players (Sampras, Federer, Henin). I would also say the WS managed to improve a bit (partly because of the regular injury breaks which gave them time to make some changes, combined with their ability to overcome the rustiness associated with such breaks). I heard that Lendl made some improvements in his game but I wasn't around to watch him so haven't seen this first hand (even though I've watched him on video, it's not the same as witnessing a player's progression over the years). Most players' games are more or less set in stone after a year or two on the tour. So often commentators say "oh he/she is young and if they just improved their serve/backhand/movement or one of those various things a little they could be really good". Then you see that same player years later and nothing has improved. Often something became worse.

It's hard to make changes when you need to win every week. You could take time out and try to make some changes, but then you need to be able to fight through the period of rustiness (and lower ranking) to make the change work.

I don't expect either Alex or Petra to develop their (rather different) games much further. This is their game. If they surprise me and improve, all credit to them. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Neither "ball-bashing", by which I mean hitting very hard aggressively and going for winners, nor "consistent rallying" or even "consistent rallying with some sly tricks up their sleeves" require all that much time to master. A junior can learn to play such games effectively before the age of 18. There are only a few types of games which really do require time and experience to mature, and they are rare these days. Serve and volley is the main one of these types. The time it takes to master this game is longer than others (presuming you are actually serve and volleying, not just firing aces). I would say this is one reason (among many, including her complex history) which explains MJMS taking a while to reach wta level. Pretty much for any player who breaks through in their teens, you can presume their game did not take long to master. That's why they broke through young.

Corswandt
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I just love to watch Dulgheru play on clay. AMG was very good, too.

Great match to watch if you're into clay tennis :D :hearts:

Seriously. Absolutely wonderful claycourt battle.

Pretty random, uninspirational, predictable clay boredom.

Different strokes for different folks. But my guess is that you're safe to go with Da F00k on this one.

Corswandt
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Neither "ball-bashing", by which I mean hitting very hard aggressively and going for winners, nor "consistent rallying" or even "consistent rallying with some sly tricks up their sleeves" require all that much time to master. A junior can learn to play such games effectively before the age of 18.

Defensive players have a built-in advantage over shotmakers when they start playing pro events and then on the main tour: they are good match players almost by default.

In today's challengers and even at the WTA level, being ultracautious and ultradefensive on the key points is often the wisest and most rewarding course of action. Defensive players do this instinctively, and this goes a way to explain their initital advantage over more aggressive but less consistent players of the same age bracket. Shotmakers, with a few exceptions, need a few years on the Tour and a lot of experience to improve their match play and to learn when to go for their shots and when not to do so.

Still, these distinctions will become less relevant as more and more shotmakers revert into a Del Potro-ish, higher % game. You already see signs of that in Wickmayer and Kanepi, and to a lesser extent in Petkovic.

LCS
Apr 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Red Clay hot mess... You know it's Spring :hearts:

HowardH
Apr 8th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Defensive players have a built-in advantage over shotmakers when they start playing pro events and then on the main tour: they are good match players almost by default.

In today's challengers and even at the WTA level, being ultracautious and ultradefensive on the key points is often the wisest and most rewarding course of action. Defensive players do this instinctively, and this goes a way to explain their initital advantage over more aggressive but less consistent players of the same age bracket. Shotmakers, with a few exceptions, need a few years on the Tour and a lot of experience to improve their match play and to learn when to go for their shots and when not to do so.

Still, these distinctions will become less relevant as more and more shotmakers revert into a Del Potro-ish, higher % game. You already see signs of that in Wickmayer and Kanepi, and to a lesser extent in Petkovic.

Fair enough. It's true that you can't be a defensive player and play a stupid match. You play smart automatically. Attacking (all kinds of attacking, from the baseline to the net) requires a lot of judgment calls. In younger junior age groups the consistent players always win at first, and it takes a while for the shotmakers to catch up to them. Shotmakers at junior level end up making a lot of bad decisions, hence giving away points and matches.