PDA

View Full Version : maria post surgery

womensrights
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjC7poxv8I

womensrights
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM
This was about 4 months after she came back from surgery. She seems to be able to hit a 2nd serve. Shes not going for a winner on every ball. Seems to be hitting her groundstrkoes with power and some margin for error.She can move and looks in great shape. She also won Tokyo the week before so i'm sure her shoulder was tired and is playing great tennis.Now when she plays looks like she has no game plan but to try and hit a winner on every ball. Not to mention her serve looks worse than ever.Only girls she can beat are the girls who can't move like Safina peng and stosur. She will really struggle on the clay this year unless something changes!

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Where were you the past four weeks. :confused:

And of course, if you're looking at match highlights, you're not gonna see the double faults and unforced errors. ;)

womensrights
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Didn't see many of her matches unfortunatly. And I know these are highlights but she seems to be hitting a normal 2nd serve. And she seems to have a much better margin with her shots.She adds a little spin at times and seems to be working the points more than what I saw in her matches against Wozniaki and Azarenka. I'm not bashing her i'm just optimistic that she has played some great tennis even after her surgery.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Maria was dead tired in her matches against Vika & Caro. If you wanna draw fair comparisons between Maria in late 2009 and Maria in spring 2011, you should take a look not only at the good, but also the bad matches. The match against Peng for example.

18majors
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I've watched uncountable number of games Maria played either on line or on TV since 2004.

There is no doubt in my mind that she is playing better now than anytime after her shoulder surgery. Actually, I would say that her return game is as good as before the surgery.

In my opinion, Maria's main challenge is her first serve. The rest of her game will come together if she serves 110 miles instead of 100 miles and score more cheap points.

slamchamp
Apr 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
it is kinda weird that maria's second serve was good last year and at the end of 2009 cause she had already gone through surgery while now she says she has trouble to put the spin on the serve:scratch:

Feyd
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
it is kinda weird that maria's second serve was good last year and at the end of 2009 cause she had already gone through surgery while now she says she has trouble to put the spin on the serve:scratch:

I don't remember Maria putting too much spin on her second serves last year. Last year she was still cracking the second serve with 150+km/h speed. The difference is last year, her fast second serves were going in, this year they are not.

womensrights
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Not to mention a lot of matches she played last summer and even french open and wimbledon she wasn't having problems with her 2nd serve. Everyone keeps blaming everything on her shoulder but its hard to believe her shoulder is worse now than it was last year. I'm happy shes had some good results last couple tournaments but she also had great draws. Peng and Dulgery in quarterfinals. Bottom line is if she doesn't fix her 2nd serve the rest of the year doesn't look to promising.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
People aren't blaming her serving problems on her shoulder as much as they are blaming them on her HEAD. And with that I don't mean her racket.

The Norwegian
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Kobe also lost the feeling in his hands and can't operate the way he used to:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-04/60684653.jpg

doomsday
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The serve is a mystery : last year during Cincinnati she was hitting some flats serves and her serve was really fast too but then one tournament later it's like she is not allowed/not able to force on her shoulder or sth.
During Miami, she didn't hit flats serves on the T or out side I have the feeling there are times where she can't press too hard on her shoulder.