PDA

View Full Version : Marbella R2: Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Agnes Szavay 67(2) 61 62

Ellery
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Sveta :hearts:

Chakvenus
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM
WAIT!
Agnes capitulated after her opponent raised their game?! Well I NEVER!!
Jk, Agi, i still love you.

and well done Sveta - this title's yours for the snagging now.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Sveta is playing long matches in Marbella. Hopefully this helps her heading towards Paris

A-Bond
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Awww Agnes, I hoped you could finally once win a match against Sveta :sad: But Sveta clearly stepped it up after the first set, congrats to her.

I hope Agnes will win a few back to back matches in Fes or Barcelona, she really had a tough draw here. She still has some very appealing shots but it's just sad seeing her play in 2007 and now in 2011... She looked so promising there, if someone would have asked me who's Number #1 in 2011 Wozniacki or Szavay I would have said her. But that's just the way it is, hopefully she'll score some good results in the next few weeks.

M.P
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
AGnes :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Sveta should have had this in 2 but messed up serving for set :o

Ballbasher
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sveta with her second marathon. :rolls: Now an off day. :)
Best of luck in QFs! :unsure:

Spartan
:bounce: well done sveta!!!

I feared the worst after the first set - pleased she was able to step it up.

iGOAT
Ágnes once again showed that she enters the court with her head in the match but if any resistance is placed in her way she will always fold.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Two wins in a row :eek:

gmak
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Sveta :yeah: :D :)
2nd win in a row after losing the first set

nice to see her fighting

Milito22
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
:woohoo:

peanuts
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Szavay. :sad: It was frustrating to watch the match and know that Sveta is just going to eventually win it even when Szavay broke her serve in the 3rd. Sigh.

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ágnes once again showed that she enters the court with her head in the match but if any resistance is placed in her way she will always fold.

I suppose she doesn't see much point in trying to scramble/retrieve (which is what most people see as FIgHtIng!!1!!!) as she is too slow to handle almost any kind of pace anyway.

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Good.

Nico_E
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
lol at all the stinky Sharapova fans who were praying Kuzzy lost this one

take one right up the........ from me :cool:

and stop lying saying u are ignoring me or bad repping me back, you are all too chicken too. haha

Hian
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sveta :yeah: But 3 sets against Szavay :o

iGOAT
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I suppose she doesn't see much point in trying to scramble/retrieve (which is what most people see as FIgHtIng!!1!!!) as she is too slow to handle almost any kind of pace anyway.
Yeah, and her game used to have a solid serve and a magnificent backhand with decent net skills, a weak forehand, and fearlessness so she went for her shots. Okay her forehand goes in now, but she has lost all her weapons. She has the shots of a pusher and worse retrieving skills than Kleybanova. AND she's not even consistent.

medved
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I like them both. So happy for Svetlana this time. And hope Agi will soon play her beautiful game again - she s still too inconsistent.

young_gunner913
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Svets :hearts:

Michael!
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sexlana, to wins in a row :eek: :hearts:
Well, again 3 sets but pretty easy then in the end, free way now into the final, I hope she doesn´t disappoint me again!

égalité
Apr 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
remembering how to play tennis? :hearts:

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah, and her game used to have a solid serve and a magnificent backhand with decent net skills, a weak forehand, and fearlessness so she went for her shots. Okay her forehand goes in now, but she has lost all her weapons. She has the shots of a pusher and worse retrieving skills than Kleybanova. AND she's not even consistent.

Her game has deteriorated somewhat, yes, but the competition on her ranking range is also way tougher than it was back when she first broke through in 2007.

Above all, I think that she has given up on unattainable goals such as reaching the top 10 etc. and set for herself objectives that are more fitting of her actual capabilities: winning the occasional clay MM, winning a few matches in upper tier events and at the Slams, holding on to whatever Hungarian sponsors she currently has. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more players doing the same.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Agi :hug:
Sveta :eek: :cheer:

edificio
Apr 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Sveta seems to working herself into clay-fighting shape. :) I hope! Sorry, Agnes. :sad:

The Dawntreader
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'm starting to think Szavay will perennially become a top 50 player. Possesses one of the most beautiful constructed backhands on tour, gorgeous flowing serve, but she's undermined by her lack of inherent athleticism, lousy competitive instincts and a hazy work ethic. I haven't really seen instances of Szavay fighting through her slumps at all. She seems to ebb and flow almost unwittingly. This kind of match is rather telling.

Kuznetsova is a shadow of the multi-facted player we saw at the French two years ago, but who knows? This kind of tournament could salvage her season somewhat. Still the most natural big name clay-courter we have in the draw.

Craig.
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Why does it feel like Szavay only plays in the summer?

The Dawntreader
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Why does it feel like Szavay only plays in the summer?

Because it's when she most gives a shit these days? (Budapest):lol:

Sean.
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Her game has deteriorated somewhat, yes, but the competition on her ranking range is also way tougher than it was back when she first broke through in 2007.

Above all, I think that she has given up on unattainable goals such as reaching the top 10 etc. and set for herself objectives that are more fitting of her actual capabilities: winning the occasional clay MM, winning a few matches in upper tier events and at the Slams, holding on to whatever Hungarian sponsors she currently has. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more players doing the same.

Really? I always had Szavay down as one of the most talented of her generation.

Chakvenus
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:59 AM

I agree with you. She's certainly capable of some real magic when playing well, but the problem is that she rarely plays consistently well these days. I know this is just her third tournament back from a lengthy injury layoff, so I'm not looking TOO much into her recent results, but one cannot ignore her results PRIOR to her absence. She'd beaten a variety of lower ranked opponents and a higher ranked one occasionally, but never achieved anything major or got that big scalp. This is due to - I feel - her fighting spirit, or lack-thereof, really. She can just look so unmotivated and disinterested if things slip from her favor, as happened today. It's truly sad, because Top 10 (down the road, I'd say) IS completely within her reach - she just has to believe in herself and give her all.

Reptilia
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:30 AM
:lol: Sveta has got to be the most unpredictable player on tour

Ralph214
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Amazing in the later sets Sveta! :cheer:

Beat
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
ha! at all the people who said szavay was going to kill kuznetsova. and there were lots of them.

C. Drone
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
when i watched Dinara i thought she is so slow. And then Agi...
She came back from an injury, only 3rd tournaments so -> :hug:
but come on, Sveta is completely off since a month and still -> :facepalm:
hope Agi can get her game together... but something always happens to her, so who knows.

Corswandt
Apr 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM

She's talented, agreed, and certainly one of the most tactically astute players of Generation Suck, but her lack of agility and stamina means that she's almost never competitive against top tier opposition, and unable to do much even against midranked opponents if they happen to be playing well from the baseline. And I feel that Ági's well aware of that, and doesn't see much point in wasting effort in matches that are a foregone conclusion.